• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Arcelas the n00b

I know I'm fat, but dear god I'm not that fat...

I am a 6' 5" man with a very large frame. My BMI is bad, but I was looking at what my goals should be, and my fitness level weight is a terrifying 180 lbs. Is there a better way to figure out safe and healthy BMI/body fat %?

You are quite tall, I am too (not as much though). I would say look at this BMI for tall people:
https://tall.life/better-bmi-for-short-and-tall-people/

Then, BMI is not all because muscle weights more than fat.
I have no clue about body fat, sorry.

22 hours ago, arcelas said:

I am a 6' 5" man with a very large frame. My BMI is bad, but I was looking at what my goals should be, and my fitness level weight is a terrifying 180 lbs. Is there a better way to figure out safe and healthy BMI/body fat %?

Use BMI as a guideline, but ultimately it's not a good bearing of health.  Bodyfat percentage ranges tend to say "average" people fall between 18 and 24% for men, and 25-31% for woman.  I've been using this site for years, and just have been using a fabric tape measure.  Gives a good enough point of reference that I can be content and move on.

But as a reference for how wonky BMI is...  I'm a 6 foot tall guy.  Because of the holidays I'm something like 215-220 pounds, which by BMI places me just a hair under "Obese."  But my bodyfat percentage is between 21-22%.  Not a soul person around me would tell me I'm anything other than an average-to-fit body build.  To get to "acceptable" by BMI, I would have to weigh 183 pounds... when I probably have roughly 150-160 pounds of lean body mass (aka - not fat or stuff I can easily lose).  Now, personally, I would like to be more like 15% bodyfat or so.  But I can reasonably get there with some good eating habits and maybe slightly bumping up my activity level (maybe - I'm already pretty active as it is).  But the odds of me losing almost 40 pounds from where I currently am?  Unlikely to happen, and if I paid attention to BMI I'd freak that I'd never be 'Acceptable.'

Eat well, move some, and enjoy what you do.  Worry about exact metrics to hit less.  (Says a guy who was way too focused on hitting below 200 pounds for a long, long time.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2017 at 1:46 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Use BMI as a guideline, but ultimately it's not a good bearing of health.  Bodyfat percentage ranges tend to say "average" people fall between 18 and 24% for men, and 25-31% for woman.  I've been using this site for years, and just have been using a fabric tape measure.  Gives a good enough point of reference that I can be content and move on.

I've been wanting to track my body fat percentage, so I grabbed my tape measure, made the husband measure me, and plugged in the numbers. And it says I'm obese.  :huh:

Um, no. I'm not. So now I'm curious what the definition of "obese" is and how it was developed.

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I've been wanting to track my body fat percentage, so I grabbed my tape measure, made the husband measure me, and plugged in the numbers. And it says I'm obese.  :huh:

Um, no. I'm not. So now I'm curious what the definition of "obese" is and how it was developed.

You can not track body fat percentage from a tape measure. It is a cheater way that attempts to guess your percentage, but it means absolutely nothing. Think about a competition bodybuilder. Their arms and legs are massive, but it is not from fat. A tape measure can't distinguish between fat and muscle. 

There are arguments about which method is the most accurate, but you have to use calipers at very particular points, Bod  Mod, Bio-impedence, or weighing you underwater. Essentially you have to pay someone to get your body fat percentage. I know some bathroom scales use bio-impedence, but to do the test right there is some preparation for an hour or more beforehand as your hydration can skew the results. So idk if you can just do the prep yourself and get a good reading or not. 

I think the definition of obese depends on the measure used. I think the medical field is using BMI right now, but it is a terrible measure everything says so. Think of a weightlifter, they tend to be thick in the middle, but it isn't necessarily fat. There is obese based on body fat percentage and gender. I believe it use to be defined as needing to lose over a specific amount of weight. I looked for a it a couple months ago, but couldn't seem to find it. I seem to recall it being needing to lose 40 lbs, but I could be wrong. Morbidly obese is the need to lose some amount over that. 

Nerd Fitness has a good article on body fat percentage: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/body-fat-percentage/ (which I see mentions measurement method, but there is no way that can be much better than BMI)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ladymorella said:

You can not track body fat percentage from a tape measure. It is a cheater way that attempts to guess your percentage, but it means absolutely nothing. Think about a competition bodybuilder. Their arms and legs are massive, but it is not from fat. A tape measure can't distinguish between fat and muscle. 

That's what I suspected. Thanks for confirming! :)