Engage the HYPEr Drive!!! [Chris-Tien]

Chris-Tien Jinn

hyperdrive.zoom20.png

Ok, this is a draft that is subject to change because I am drinking the last of the egg nog .... well-laced with rum.  

I read over my previous challenges. 

Wow.  

We moved 5 times in 5 years.  We lost my father-in-law, my brother, my mother, and our dog.  My daughter and I both received our doctorates.  My daughter got married.  I had a string of jobs that were .... um .... not as advertised.  

The number of changes is mind boggling.  

I did make some gains.  I lost 10 pounds.  And I did get a bit stronger.  Not as much as I had wanted, but any little bit is a win.  

And I never gave up.  I may not have a lot going for me, but I have persistence.  And I am beginning to nurture the flame within me that longs for further accomplishments, further adventures.  I have more to do, more people to inspire, and lives to improve (including my own).  

As I read through the past few years' worth of challenges, the desire to do an OCR keep surfacing.  I kept getting derailed by life changes and also by an endless cycle of getting sick.  I seriously think that the illnesses were caused by the low-grade oral infection that already had my immune system on the ropes.  Since the tooth was pulled, I've felt a lot better.  And I mean ALOT.  I have hope again.  And I am ready to join the Rangers on the Hunt for the Hype.  May the Force have mercy on the one who has stolen it!!!!  

Concretely .....

I will register for an OCR by the end of the challenge.  Probably the Warrior Dash in LeSueur, MN in June, but I have to check with my daughter and husband.  Daughter will be going to Japan for two weeks this summer for conferences (and we get to dog sit!).  And I'd like hubby to be there so he can drive a muddy me home.  

To prepare:

1) Keep running.  6 days per week will either be a run or 10K steps by any other means.  

2) Keep lifting.  I have a basic plan for this month and will change it up again after the end of this challenge.  Probably.  I have some reading to do, and I know I will change workouts as I learn.

3)  Get more protein.  I can slip into eating a lot of carbs and sugar if I am not careful.  So 5 high-quality protein sources per day.  Eggs, protein shakes, beef, chicken, veggie full-protein combinations.  Bacon does not count.  Bacon is a condiment.  

4)  Get more freggies.  5 per day.  I have loved my rainbow challenges in the past, and I'll try to do that again just to keep the selections interesting and cover a full range of helpful anti-oxidents. 

5)  Read up on OCR training ideas.  I have a book and some blogs to follow.  My intention is to restart (and finish) the OCR book I got 2 years ago, and get that done this month.  But if folks have suggestions for blogs, podcasts, books, etc. I'll take 'em!!

6)  Daily affirmations.  In many ways, my mind is my greatest weakness, and I can talk myself out of nearly anything.  I need to be brave.  

Tracking spreadsheet!!!

Score???  In terms of stickiness.  If I get 80% or better, then the change is on the way to becoming a habit. 

• Like 11

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

9 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Since the tooth was pulled, I've felt a lot better.  And I mean ALOT.  I have hope again. 

When I was a dental assistant we saw this happening a lot! It is scary how a tooth infection or abscess can poison the whole body. I'm so glad that you are already feeling so much better.

You have gone through a lot and this year will hopefully be YOUR YEAR! Here to support you along the way.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

11 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

As I read through the past few years' worth of challenges, the desire to do an OCR keep surfacing.

After this line, I kept reading everything else like

giphy.webp

11 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Read up on OCR training ideas.  I have a book and some blogs to follow.  My intention is to restart (and finish) the OCR book I got 2 years ago, and get that done this month.  But if folks have suggestions for blogs, podcasts, books, etc. I'll take 'em!!

There's an OCR accountability/training group I'm a bit late to move to the new threads, but tagging @EricMN, @Charlie_Quinn and @jonfirestar anyway.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Koaladle said:

Yessssss

This-drunk-santa-lady.gif

LOL - I didn't get THAT merry!!!  Although the post-Christmas let-down feels about like falling off a ..... what IS that thing the tree was sitting upon??

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

1 hour ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

LOL - I didn't get THAT merry!!!  Although the post-Christmas let-down feels about like falling off a ..... what IS that thing the tree was sitting upon??

It's a Miller Lite Bar Stool. Even drunk she has enough taste to be repelled by Miller Lite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 12/28/2017 at 4:32 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's a Miller Lite Bar Stool. Even drunk she has enough taste to be repelled by Miller Lite.

LOL - that's just nasty.  If you're gonna have a beer, make it something worth drinking!!

Today, I gave up on my old FitBit.  It's heart rate function had gone completely wacky, and cleaning the sensors didn't improve accuracy.  So, off to the store to buy myself a belated Christmas present and fit in a run at the YMCA.  

Temps this weekend are getting down into the Hoth level of frozen hell.  And if neither car will start, we won't have to go up to to the Twin Cities to spend his birthday with his sisters.  

tumblr_moke94rJgN1s3jc4vo1_500.gif

• Like 7

Some sort of Jedi .....

13 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

I so am not ready for this artic hell we are having! Great challenge, can't wait to see you crush it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I made myself go out, start the car, and drive to the Y.  It helped that I'd given hubby a track pass to the Y for Christmas, and he was getting antsy sitting around the house.

And, actually, it wasn't that bad.  Sunshine helped.  Having a garage was a big help.  And the decision that it EITHER was the Y or walking outside without a tauntaun that really cinched the deal.  

Hubby just walked.  I did a half hour of walking while carrying various items (kettle bells, dumbbells, medicine balls) as OCR prep.  

• Like 4

Some sort of Jedi .....

On 12/27/2017 at 10:47 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I am drinking the last of the egg nog .... well-laced with rum.  

As I read through the past few years' worth of challenges, the desire to do an OCR keep surfacing.

Bacon does not count.  Bacon is a condiment.  

The good things in life, truly :D

Looks like a solid challenge, following along for sure!

• Like 4

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

4 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I made myself go out, start the car, and drive to the Y.  It helped that I'd given hubby a track pass to the Y for Christmas, and he was getting antsy sitting around the house.

And, actually, it wasn't that bad.  Sunshine helped.  Having a garage was a big help.  And the decision that it EITHER was the Y or walking outside without a tauntaun that really cinched the deal.  

Hubby just walked.  I did a half hour of walking while carrying various items (kettle bells, dumbbells, medicine balls) as OCR prep.  

I went out to the gym today too.  Wind chill was only 20 below and I think the temp was a balmy 5 below.

i figure at at least I burn more calories going out in the cold.

• Like 2

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

5 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

1 hour ago, T2sarahconnor said:

I went out to the gym today too.  Wind chill was only 20 below and I think the temp was a balmy 5 below.

i figure at at least I burn more calories going out in the cold.

Um yall win everything. Its in the 40's here and temp dropping for the weekend. I won't be leaving the house unless there is a fire.

giphy.webp

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Wind chill was only 20 below and I think the temp was a balmy 5 below.

I think you had more wind than we did.  I'm looking forward to Monday and temps above 0!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

3 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I think you had more wind than we did.  I'm looking forward to Monday and temps above 0!!

Really?  Monday morning temp here is the worst.  Predicted to be -18 Monday morning with wind chills at -40's.  

I had today off and tomorrow off but guess who has to be at work at 6am Monday morning?

• Sad 2

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

13 hours ago, annyshay said:

I picked the perfect time to visit my Mom in Arizona, lol. Excited to see what shenanigans you get up to!

I do miss being able to visit my mom's warm, AZ house in the winter.  It was such a relief to be warm in February!!!

11 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Really?  Monday morning temp here is the worst.  Predicted to be -18 Monday morning with wind chills at -40's.  

I had today off and tomorrow off but guess who has to be at work at 6am Monday morning?

Yeap.  My daughter lives in IA now; so have been checking the forecast.  We'll be heading into the slight warming trend a day before you.  Today is sunny, but the temps are nasty.  Looks like a run at the YMCA will be in order.  

Good luck with the commute tomorrow.....

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

Took two longish walks today, dressed like Arctic explorers.....

IMG_0848.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

14 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

RESPECT!

Hubby walked outside today.  I begged off with the excuse that I had to do my tempo run .....  Yea for the YMCA!!!  Some of the kids playing around in the gym were even doing the YMCA song.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Well, I'm looking at the calendar and picking what day I'm going to do my outdoors feat (hiking in the local arboretum).  We do have a slight warming trend on the way .....

Nutrition-wise, I defeated the French fry monster last night.  Ordered tomato soup with my hamburger!!!  Now that the holidays are mostly over (traditionally, we have celebrated Christmas until Epiphany rolls around), I need to start cooking normal foods again.  

• Like 4

Some sort of Jedi .....