• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] Reboot

2018 Challenge Hype!

Okay - for real. I guess I should get ready for Jan 1 as that is when I am going to officially start this challenge. 

Blatant notice of my Brand New Spanking Battle Log that I posted earlier today.

So seriously, while 2017 wasn't a steaming ball of crap - it wasn't my most successful year ever. I had a lot of fun, but pretty much made zero progress on any goal that I would have really liked to complete. But, onwards and upwards. 

My Battle Log is really and truly more of a continuing road map, but I'm still going to ramble and discuss my progress in Challenges. Because I like the idea of a hard reset if necessary. 

So without further ado - the goals:

• I am a person who makes small changes to improve my eating habits.
    • January is all about awareness and tracking, aka mindful eating. The goal is to examine how I feel before and after eating and make judgement calls based upon those feelings. I'm probably not going to document every meal, but I am going to look for patterns.
  • I am a person who trains consistently.
    • January is the official 30 day Yoga with Adriene challenge month. OF COURSE I am participating and encouraging everyone else to do the same. My goal is to make it through the 30 days, then start incorporating a weekly yoga video going forward. I get an e-mail every Sunday from YwA - there is no reason I can't start using them.
  • I am a person who consistently hits 5K steps per day. This is one of my Habitica daily tasks. The weekends (or any time I am at home) is when this is the biggest struggle. I can counteract this by taking my poor puppy for a walk. 
  • I am a person who reads regularly. 
    • I belong to a Goodreads book club (link here). I'm most likely not going to participate in the discussions, but it gives me a chance to do some extra reading. The goal is to finish at least one book on the list monthly. 
  • I am a person who enjoys writing as a creative outlet. 
    • I enjoy writing. But I've let myself get distracted by nothing more exciting than zoned out scanning of Facebook. So I've found a website that has 12 story starters (link here). My goal is to type at least 500 words per day on the story starter of the month. They don't have to be good stories, they just need to start the process. 

And off we go....

• Like 18

18 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Following, since I want to figure out what this Yoga thing is. I am not joining this round, but it may be interesting next challenge.

Yoga with Adriene does a 30 days yoga challenge every January. They aren't super long of difficult videos, but it's a nice way to kind of slide into doing something active every day.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Yoga with Adriene does a 30 days yoga challenge every January. They aren't super long of difficult videos, but it's a nice way to kind of slide into doing something active every day.

I've seen those videos in her YouTube channel, but I didn't know it was an annual thing. I'll have to look into this and see if this is something I can possibly do on gym days, or if it's too much on top of lifting.

• Like 3

I've seen those videos in her YouTube channel, but I didn't know it was an annual thing. I'll have to look into this and see if this is something I can possibly do on gym days, or if it's too much on top of lifting.

I fully endorse Yoge by Adrienne. It's an easy way to get into yoga. I don't think it'll be too much as long as you have time. It might make a nice warmup/ cool down.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I don't think it'll be too much as long as you have time.

This may be the problem I have. I have to learn to do things in 5 minute increments. You ask me to find 20-30 minutes at once, I will try and probably crash and burn. You ask me to find 5 minutes for one pose this challenge, 5 minutes more for doing a second pose that i can generally find. Honestly, I would love to have 10 minutes free at any given time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

This may be the problem I have. I have to learn to do things in 5 minute increments. You ask me to find 20-30 minutes at once, I will try and probably crash and burn. You ask me to find 5 minutes for one pose this challenge, 5 minutes more for doing a second pose that i can generally find. Honestly, I would love to have 10 minutes free at any given time.

If you can find between five and ten, this might be an option.

Alternatively, hard schedule ten minutes of yoga for the days you want to do it, and de-prioritize or delegate something else ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

• I am a person who makes small changes to improve my eating habits.
  • I am a person who trains consistently.
  • I am a person who consistently hits 5K steps per day. This is one of my Habitica daily tasks. The weekends (or any time I am at home) is when this is the biggest struggle. I can counteract this by taking my poor puppy for a walk. 
  • I am a person who reads regularly. 
  • I am a person who enjoys writing as a creative outlet. 

I feel like you just whacked me in the face with the goals I should be aiming towards (I too have a poor puppy in need of a walk).

I wish you luck with your goals (and shall follow along)! Are you planning to post your writing starters anywhere?

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I'd never actually thought of doing things in small increments (My brain tends to go: go big or go home.) Have you found that you're able to do multiple 5 minutes in a day leading up to a total of 20-30+ minutes?

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, pureleeawesome said:

I feel like you just whacked me in the face with the goals I should be aiming towards (I too have a poor puppy in need of a walk).

I wish you luck with your goals (and shall follow along)! Are you planning to post your writing starters anywhere?

First of all - have you just come back or did I miss your challenges (because I am really bad about things like that)? My writing starters are in a link on the battle log that I started. I've not officially started until January 1. 

33 minutes ago, pureleeawesome said:
5 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I'd never actually thought of doing things in small increments (My brain tends to go: go big or go home.) Have you found that you're able to do multiple 5 minutes in a day leading up to a total of 20-30+ minutes?

5 minutes would drive me crazy. If it works for you, then keep on keeping on obviously! But - *shudder*. I live and die by 25 minutes on / 5 minutes off. 

Purchased (used bookstore) my second book for the January reading list. I feel pretty confident I can finish both (Murder on the Orient Express is literally an evening read for me). We also got almost all of the boxes out of the dining room (there is still one big one we are keeping for a donation box). 

I am actually more excited about this challenge than I have been about ones previous. 

• Like 11

I've just come back! Haven't posted a quest yet but it'll be in the Adventurer's forum for sure.

I think I struggled a lot with feeling overwhelmed by ALL THE THINGS for the last year or two so I've spent the last few months ditching everything so I can truly decide what I like.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pureleeawesome said:

I've just come back! Haven't posted a quest yet but it'll be in the Adventurer's forum for sure.

I think I struggled a lot with feeling overwhelmed by ALL THE THINGS for the last year or two so I've spent the last few months ditching everything so I can truly decide what I like.

Understood! So happy to have you back! 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

If you can find between five and ten, this might be an option.

Alternatively, hard schedule ten minutes of yoga for the days you want to do it, and de-prioritize or delegate something else ?

I tried hard scheduling time for Yoga, or any exercise. It turned into "Hey, so this other thing ran long, or appeared out of thin air that has to be dealt with. As a result, something has to get pushed off. I cant push off homework, or x or y, so the only thing left is the Yoga. Where as if I tell myself, "Okay, you have five minutes between X adn Y, go do at least one of your stretches, that works easier."

I am trying to be a bit more fluid with my days since there are too many things that change day to day on what is going on and what I can accomplish. Hard "This is all the things I must get done before I can go to bed" is how I end up going to bed at 2 or 3 in the morning and getting up at 5:15 the next day.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

When I originally started all of this, no, I was only doing the 5 minutes. But since i have used this approach for about a year now, adding one or 2 new things each challenge (so like a new stretch and a new exercise), I generally can make that 30+. For example. Over the course of a day, I do as many of each of the exercises as I can or have time for. Sometimes the numbers are higher, but sometimes they are low. But Each day for this challenge I will be doing: Sit ups, reverse sit ups, leg lifts, push ups, wall pushups, incline push ups, Knee sit, warriors and plank.  Then for stretches I do: Wrist extension (I have carpal tunnel), Ballet Bar stretch (with my half wall int he kitchen), Upward dog and child pose yoga, toe touches, butterflies. On top of those, I am adding a tree pose for stretching and balance ball push up for exercise. The leg lifts, sit ups and reverse sit ups might get done while I am waiting on a kid to finish dressing. The wall push ups might get done while I am waiting for the girl I watching the mornings to show up. Its working for me since I just can't tell myself I have time to work out. But If I tell myself I have 5 minutes waiting for my homework to compile, or before I can leave to go collect or drop an Agent off, then I can get something done in that time.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

5 minutes would drive me crazy. If it works for you, then keep on keeping on obviously! But - *shudder*. I live and die by 25 minutes on / 5 minutes off. 

I had to go to 5 minutes. I do the 25 on for homework, and then 5 minutes off, but those 5 off are when I do one of my little 5 minute things. I tried saying ""Okay, for 25 minutes a day< I will exercise" and it ended with me never getting to it because I kept pushing it later and later and then it was midnight or 1 in the morning and it still wasn't done. Where as if I say "I have 5 minutes till I need to do X, can I accomplish something (cleaning, exercising, ect) then it is easier. Plus, by adding just one thing a challenge to each catergory, I am actually adding about 15 minutes of productive time a day which cuts out the time I would normally be getting annoyed when I can't leave yet, or someone doesn't have a coat on, or what not. Plus it gets me past the mindset of "I don't have time to start that now" when I know its only 5 minutes. Sometimes I get more than 5 minutes (cleaning rooms perhaps) but it gets me started.

15 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Purchased (used bookstore) my second book for the January reading list. I feel pretty confident I can finish both (Murder on the Orient Express is literally an evening read for me). We also got almost all of the boxes out of the dining room (there is still one big one we are keeping for a donation box). 

I am actually more excited about this challenge than I have been about ones previous. 

I love the idea of having a fun time reading. I am so excited to see how your challenge goes.

• Like 4

following along and loving all your goals. 

Apologies in advance for the barrage of questions. 
Am I stalking you on MFP and do you have a Fitbit? And if so I am also stalking you there? 
Are you able to able to get your feet firmly planted while doing downward dog during yoga?
Did you start a new habitica account and are you currently in an accountability group there? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Korranation said:

Apologies in advance for the barrage of questions. 
Am I stalking you on MFP and do you have a Fitbit? And if so I am also stalking you there? 
Are you able to able to get your feet firmly planted while doing downward dog during yoga?
Did you start a new habitica account and are you currently in an accountability group there? 

Not sure if you stalk me on MFP - I don't think so. I don't really use it atm and I'm not sure when it's going to factor into my yearly goals. Calorie tracking doesn't put me in a really good mental place, so I have set up my challenge to not have it factor in until later in the process. My tracking this challenge will totally be intuitive eating tracking. 

I have a Fitbit account, but I switched over to a Garmin last Christmas (I got the Vivosmart HR+ and love it), so you can't stalk me there. 

I am able to get my feet planted! I'm a pretty flexible person in general, so these types of yoga poses are fairly comfortable for me. I wish I had a good bit of advice for how I got there, but Adriene's pedaling and find what feels good has worked really well for me.

I didn't create a new Habitica account. 9fd7a51d-74e8-4b99-81c8-e0dfac9dde96 is my user ID (does that help you find me?). I've joined a group, but it's a large one that I am probably not going to interact with regularly. So if you are in one and need members - send me an invite!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Calorie tracking doesn't put me in a really good mental place

I hear ya. Not all calories are created equal. And overanalyzing food decisions is stressful.

I've never had any success by cutting myself off from food just because some were empty calories, but I'm still needing some much-needed protein or healthy vitamins. 

so you can't stalk me there. 

tenor.gif

I wish I had a good bit of advice for how I got there, but Adriene's pedaling and find what feels good has worked really well for me.

Pedaling is the best way to get there. You gotta get stretchy somehow. 

stretch-armstrong.gif?w=750

I didn't create a new Habitica account. 9fd7a51d-74e8-4b99-81c8-e0dfac9dde96 is my user ID (does that help you find me?). I've joined a group, but it's a large one that I am probably not going to interact with regularly. So if you are in one and need members - send me an invite!

Consider your invite sent!

I'm a high-level rogue back from when I was in the hardcore rising heroes division. Do you want to get a party together to bash some bosses?

I've got like 14 scrolls for the low-level basi-list. 

• Like 6

I have evening stretching to unwind as a goal already, I think I'll try it with Adrianne

I too have a pupper who needs extra walks, but my schedule there is very limiting atm.

Following the hype!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Korranation said:

Consider your invite sent!

I'm a high-level rogue back from when I was in the hardcore rising heroes division. Do you want to get a party together to bash some bosses?

I've got like 14 scrolls for the low-level basi-list. 

I got it and accepted!

Granted, I've only ever set up an account - not joined a group, so I'll have to figure out what the heck I am supposed to be doing/.

12 hours ago, Alis in Abernathy said:

I have evening stretching to unwind as a goal already, I think I'll try it with Adrianne emoji4.png

I too have a pupper who needs extra walks, but my schedule there is very limiting atm.

I am a self-proclaimed non-yoga enthusiast, but I am definitely a fan of Adriene. 

My puppy is actually pretty lazy as far as puppers go. Every time I try to get her to go for a walk, she instead tries to get in the car..... Also, if there is no snow, she doesn't want to be outside in the cold. But we'll go with it.

• Like 9