• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] Reboot

5 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Okay, mom moment here. Get some YakTrax or something similar! I mean, I know a lot of people probably don't think about using ice grippers for daily walking, but I know when I worked in home care, employees were required to wear them if the weather was bad. 

Obviously, they aren't foolproof, because it is ice. But every little bit helps!

I have never heard of these before! Google tells me they are basically ice cleats. And I was thinking yesterday that cleats would be pretty handy for walking on ice.

I have figured out that when I'm more or less marching, I rarely slip on the ice.

• Like 4

Lots of pot/kettle going on in this thread for me. The thing about going to a meet up or something for me is, well, the going to a thing without anyone I know to go with! I'm sorry, you want to me to insert myself in a rando group of people and actually talk to them? Clearly advice dreamt up by an extrovert :P 

8 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I have never heard of these before! Google tells me they are basically ice cleats. And I was thinking yesterday that cleats would be pretty handy for walking on ice.

I have figured out that when I'm more or less marching, I rarely slip on the ice.

Penguin waddle. It works.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-21524-1327086289-26

• Like 6

Lots of good stuff here. I'm taking notes for when @Sylvaa comes to Florida, so I don't act [too] weird. I recall there was another forum member who lived really close to where I used to work. I even applied for a job at his gym. We were never able to make that meetup happen. Haha

On 1/9/2018 at 8:31 AM, Sylvaa said:

Okay, mom moment here. Get some YakTrax or something similar! I mean, I know a lot of people probably don't think about using ice grippers for daily walking, but I know when I worked in home care, employees were required to wear them if the weather was bad. 

Obviously, they aren't foolproof, because it is ice. But every little bit helps!

On 1/9/2018 at 2:07 PM, zeroh13 said:

Yes. I was the guy who slipped every single day. Eventually I didn't even try to fight it; I'd just execute an ukemi and lie there in self-pity for a few seconds each time. Then I invested in some Diamond Grip Yaktrax, and those were the shit (since the spiral ones kept breaking).

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Machete said:

Lots of good stuff here. I'm taking notes for when @Sylvaa comes to Florida, so I don't act [too] weird. I recall there was another forum member who lived really close to where I used to work. I even applied for a job at his gym. We were never able to make that meetup happen. Haha

Our meet up will literally be sitting at the same table in the same place reading a book. I can see it now. You'll bring something related to Exercise Science and I will bring my tablet so you can't tell I'm really reading something trashy. Then we will come to the forums and talk about how much fun it was. 

Guys, I'm going to potentially be sporadic everywhere for the next two weeks or so. I got some bad news on Tuesday, but I am not in a position to share it publicly yet (don't worry, I'm fine). So good thoughts and love are appreciated. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Guys, I'm going to potentially be sporadic everywhere for the next two weeks or so. I got some bad news on Tuesday, but I am not in a position to share it publicly yet (don't worry, I'm fine). So good thoughts and love are appreciated. 

No, you're not. You received bad news that upset you. But that's okay. You're not required to be fine right now.

We're not going anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh man! I finally got through all the pages on this thread only to find out that your life got crazy. Dang!

Hope it calms down and the problem is resolved quickly or whatever happened is something you and anyone involved in it are able to work through. I admit I am insanely curious as to what happened, but then again I frequently find myself being that person who does her damn best to try and fix things that have nothing to do with me. Sometimes people appreciate it and sometimes I get told to fuck right off but I don't mind :)

Good luck with everything!

Sent from my WAS-L03T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

17 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

No, you're not. You received bad news that upset you. But that's okay. You're not required to be fine right now.

I appreciate this sentiment, but meant I'm fine in the context of, "there is nothing physically or mentally wrong with me." So I truly did mean I am fine.

Bad news is spoilered - it did not take as long as anticipated to resolve:

Spoiler

My grandparents went into Hospice care earlier this week. Yes, both of them - they shared a room - because adorable couples are adorable. My grandmother had another neurological event overnight Friday and was non-responsive for a bit. She is now semi-lucid, although still rapidly declining.

My grandfather made the decision that, given my grandmother's state of health, he was stopping dialysis. I'm uncertain as to when his last dialysis was, because my mother wasn't really able to be too specific, but (if anyone is curious) generally people live 8 - 10 days after stopping. Statistics are like 96% pass away before the two week mark. My grandfather ended up passing away yesterday.

So right now we are in a holding pattern. My mother is flying up to be with her family today and to help start the process of funeral planning, but we are kind of waiting to see what happens with my grandmother before finalizing everything. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 8

Thinking of you and your family, and sorry for the loss of your grandfather. I hope your grandmother is not in any pain and that everyone gets a chance to say goodbye.

I think there is a kind of sweetness and romance to him wanting to be with his wife, though. Hopefully that will bring the family some comfort at least.

*hugs*

• Like 3