• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] Reboot

For whatever reason I am just finding your challenge now and I am saddened by your news.  Your grandparents sounds like a very adorable couple indeed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I appreciate this sentiment, but meant I'm fine in the context of, "there is nothing physically or mentally wrong with me." So I truly did mean I am fine.

That is a good form of news, and I am happy to hear it.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather though. Just because it was an expected event, that happened on his terms, does not make it easy to deal with. Go find someone you love and trust and make them hug you for a while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I lost my Gramma just shy of a year ago and I also knew it was going to happen so I had a chance to visit her in the hospital and chat for a while before she died but even when you expect it, it hurts like hell when it happens.

I originally popped on here just now to post up a cute thing that always cheers me up but I'm not sure if you'd appreciate it or not right now but I will leave it here anyhow. I found it ages and ages ago and it's just adorable and pointless and always makes me burst out laughing. So feel free to check it out if you wish.

http://sieni.us/?id=24

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leigh said:

I originally popped on here just now to post up a cute thing that always cheers me up but I'm not sure if you'd appreciate it or not right now but I will leave it here anyhow. I found it ages and ages ago and it's just adorable and pointless and always makes me burst out laughing. So feel free to check it out if you wish.

That was just strange! :D 

To be honest, I seem to deal with grief very well. I think a lot of it has to do with the years I spent working in Hospice, but I have also been blessed with a family that is realistic about death. I am obviously sad. But I'm also truly comforted to know that he is not suffering anymore. We had a very close relationship and I choose to honor those memories. 

• Like 14

Thank you everyone for the kind words and thoughts.

Yesterday, my grandmother followed my grandfather. My brother and I will be traveling tomorrow to be with the family while we prepare for and celebrate the lives of two fantastic people. 

We spent the weekend super busy switching my kids' rooms. Now both boys are in the basement and both girls are upstairs. It was a lot of work painting and moving furniture, but the kids are happy with the updates.

We also decided to do the 14-day trial of Eat This Much, which we are using for meal planning to see how it goes. It'll be interesting to see how much husband handles cooking like this when I am not home. 

• Like 17

I'm sure no one is surprised by this, but I have no desire to work today. The kids are getting off school early due to snow and I'm cuddled under a blanket with the dog. 

I'll be stalking threads and reading trashy romances for the next 12 hours. 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

I'm sure no one is surprised by this, but I have no desire to work today. The kids are getting off school early due to snow and I'm cuddled under a blanket with the dog. 

I'll be stalking threads and reading trashy romances for the next 12 hours. 

This sounds like an absolutely wonderful way to spend the day. Especially the dog and the reading part.

It's almost creepy how much better everything is with a dog nearby. :)

• Like 5

Just now, scalyfreak said:

It's almost creepy how much better everything is with a dog nearby. :)

This is probably blasphemy, but I'm not a dog person. Which is pretty funny considering how much my dog likes me. We "share" the same seat on the couch (meaning we share our same favorite spot). But if I get there first, she'll come sit next to me and we'll share a blanket. So this is what we've done today (yes, my dog likes blankets). And it has definitely kept my mood up. And it is totally creepy that all of the pets in the house seem to know that something is out of sorts. They have all been super cuddly the last few days. 

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Sylvaa said:

And it is totally creepy that all of the pets in the house seem to know that something is out of sorts. They have all been super cuddly the last few days. 

That's not creepy, that's the pet superpower in action.

Even my old cat, who ranged from standoffish to actively hostile, would know when something was off and attach herself to whoever needed her. Mr. Bear witnessed a horrible traffic accident (out-of-control car crossed the center line & hit the minivan immediately behind him, no survivors despite his and other witnesses' efforts) several years ago; she was Velcroed to him for days after that.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

This is probably blasphemy, but I'm not a dog person. Which is pretty funny considering how much my dog likes me. We "share" the same seat on the couch (meaning we share our same favorite spot). But if I get there first, she'll come sit next to me and we'll share a blanket. So this is what we've done today (yes, my dog likes blankets). And it has definitely kept my mood up. And it is totally creepy that all of the pets in the house seem to know that something is out of sorts. They have all been super cuddly the last few days. 

Neither am I. I kind of like all kinds of animals, but for pets I prefer cats. With the obvious glaring exception of my dog, of course. She the greatest dog of all time and no matter how completely shitty my workday has been, coming home from work to be met with her over-enthusiastic attempts to hug me and play at the same time, makes the day better. :)

And it's because they can tell something is wrong. Pets are freakishly attuned to the moods and emotions of their humans, and when we are unhappy they worry about what's wrong and try to comfort.

• Like 6

*Hugs*

I am late to the party, but my thoughts are with your family.

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

And it's because they can tell something is wrong. Pets are freakishly attuned to the moods and emotions of their humans, and when we are unhappy they worry about what's wrong and try to comfort.

This...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes I remember being majorly depressed when doing my masters and my cat would just know when things were really bad and would actually lay on me instead of beside me and just purr and comfort. Pets are amazing.

• Like 6

wow, I'm sorry I didn't check in sooner.  

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I like that you put it in terms of "celebrate their lives." It sounds like they had a beautiful relationship.

And I'm glad you have your dog/support.  I never considered myself a dog person either, until we took in my mother-in-law's dog.  I hope you get all the snuggles and support you need.  As well as you may be taking all this, it's still nice to know you're supported

• Like 4

*hugs* Celebrating someone's life is a nice way to look at it, and it's what I try to remember (it's also what my grandma wanted, she didn't even want a funeral, I think because she didn't want people to make a big deal about her passing). It doesn't make things easier, but in a way it helps. 

• Like 4

Posted the following on FB (apologies for people who have to see this twice):

This weekend, I got to gather with my family to celebrate the lives of my very special grandparents; Deacon Tom and Mary Strodtbeck. They left this world in the same way the lived - together.

The outpouring of love and support from family, friends, and the community was a testament not only to how my grandparents lived, but also how they raised their family. To be quick with smiles and laughter, to have an open door, and to be ready to feed the masses.

I know how much my grandparents meant to me, but I was humbled by how much they meant to others. If my grandparents touched your life, I am saddened for your loss. You have my prayers, my sympathy, and my love.

I am still dealing with grief. I'm certain this will be a process. But I'm back with my family (who couldn't make it this weekend) and much happier. 

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

On 1/16/2018 at 1:35 PM, Sylvaa said:

This is probably blasphemy, but I'm not a dog person. Which is pretty funny considering how much my dog likes me.

Cat person on cats: “I love cats, they’re the best!”

Cat person on dogs: “Dogs are cool too I guess.”

Dog person on dogs: “I love dogs, they’re the best!”

Dog person on cats: “GODDAMN CATS ARE THE SPAWN OF SATAN.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Signed up for a Terrain Race with NTB and possibly my cousin (in the midst of everyone coming home for the funerals, I found out one of my cousin's lives less than 2 hours from me). 

And potentially will be signing up for a bike race in Florida in the fall (Sloth - I'll be looking to you for tips and tricks). My father was supposed to do it this year, but couldn't because of the funerals and the friend he was riding with is moving in the next few weeks, so will potentially not be able to next year. Go big or go home, right?

• Like 12