• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] Reboot

I actually wish I could be a cat person. I've had dogs all my life and you can't beat their ever present excitement to see you each day. But cats that like to curl up in your lap just seem to be so cool. But, alas, allergies keep me away from the cats, and my dog loves being a lap dog...she just weighs a lot!
You can be a cat person while being allergic! I have friends who can't be around cats but they still love them. Just from a distance or while heavily medicated.
  • Like 7

I feel like there are other pet owner personalities that should be stereotyped besides just cats and dogs.

Here's a start:

Snakes/lizards: has tattoos and/or piercings, slightly antisocial or has tendency toward aggressive behavior, though perhaps just feigned. Owns or wants to own a motorcycle.

Birds: Outgoing but peculiar. Probably a musician, and probably wears lots of colorful and slightly gauche or pretentious accessories with their outfits like fedora hats, scarves, or pocket squares. Hates cats legitimately, unlike dog people who cats because of that one time and/or they've never owned a cat.

Ferrets: There's actually a documentary about these weirdos... big hearts, small minds, terrible sense of smell.

Fish/amphibians: Introverted version of the bird person.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

I've had snakes, birds, fish, cats, at one point we had a dog or two kicking around and I currently have a bird and a cat...

I now feel like I make total sense! I fit into all of those trends pretty well... except for the small minds, hatred of cats and pretentious accessories bits haha :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Leigh said:

I've had snakes, birds, fish, cats, at one point we had a dog or two kicking around and I currently have a bird and a cat...

I now feel like I make total sense! I fit into all of those trends pretty well... except for the small minds, hatred of cats and pretentious accessories bits haha :P

Glad I could help you find yourself. :P

• Like 3

Guys, guess what?

I am updating my challenge!

Who would have thought?

With all of the ridiculousness that has happened over this challenge, I'm actually not doing too bad.

• I am a person who makes small changes to improve my eating habits.
    • January is all about awareness and tracking, aka mindful eating. The goal is to examine how I feel before and after eating and make judgement calls based upon those feelings. I'm probably not going to document every meal, but I am going to look for patterns. 
    • One of my Habitica habits is, "I did not eat until stuffed." I can confirm that I have been able to hit this button every day this month (even the days that I didn't actually check in!). We've started a mantra at our house of, "we do not eat our feelings," as this is something pretty major - hey, I'm part Italian, our response to everything is to eat. 
  • I am a person who trains consistently.
    • January is the official 30 day Yoga with Adriene challenge month. OF COURSE I am participating and encouraging everyone else to do the same. My goal is to make it through the 30 days, then start incorporating a weekly yoga video going forward. I get an e-mail every Sunday from YwA - there is no reason I can't start using them.
    • This did not happen. I fell off the wagon in the chaos of my life. I've still kept the videos in my inbox and am working on getting through them as I feel like it. I've also been using these as an alternative when I should have an exercise day, but I get a case of the don't wannas. It's not perfect, but it's progress.
  • I am a person who consistently hits 5K steps per day. This is one of my Habitica daily tasks. The weekends (or any time I am at home) is when this is the biggest struggle. I can counteract this by taking my poor puppy for a walk. 
    • Not being on the road really hurt this goal. It is going to stick around for next challenge.
  • I am a person who reads regularly. 
    • I belong to a Goodreads book club (link here). I'm most likely not going to participate in the discussions, but it gives me a chance to do some extra reading. The goal is to finish at least one book on the list monthly. 
    • I finished one of the two books I was going to try to finish this month. The second one, I'll read over the weekend. I don't own any of the February books, so I need to take a trip to the used bookstore this weekend for next month.
  • I am a person who enjoys writing as a creative outlet. 
    • I enjoy writing. But I've let myself get distracted by nothing more exciting than zoned out scanning of Facebook. So I've found a website that has 12 story starters (link here). My goal is to type at least 500 words per day on the story starter of the month. They don't have to be good stories, they just need to start the process.
    • This one is going to continue, but I'm not going to have a 500 words per day goal. My goal will be to write creatively (even if it's just 10 words) instead. 30K words a month is too daunting at the moment for me just starting to get into a habit. 
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

One of my Habitica habits is, "I did not eat until stuffed."

This is super helpful phrasing.

You're doing super well with all that's going on. Seems like you have reasonable tweaks for moving forward to. Basically, thumbs up, sista!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

One of my Habitica habits is, "I did not eat until stuffed."

oooh... I should make that one of my habits :D only I think I'd word it differently. I'm working on something similar to this with work food (eating smaller sandwiches veggies > bread being the main objective) and I'm aiming to do dinner that fits on a small plate instead of a big one. Because while devouring a HUGE plate of food is really damn satisfying, it's wasteful since I rarely need that much food :)

7 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

"we do not eat our feelings,"

Unless our feelings are perfectly cooked steak. In which case, eat away! haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Leigh said:

I'm aiming to do dinner that fits on a small plate instead of a big one.

Small plates FTW! The switch makes such a difference in how much you think you're eating. And now that I'm so used to small plates at home, my reaction to the food at restaurants is "um...this is a lot of food..." Instead of "sweet! Look at all this food!"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, annyshay said:

This is super helpful phrasing.

4 hours ago, Leigh said:

oooh... I should make that one of my habits :D only I think I'd word it differently. I'm working on something similar to this with work food (eating smaller sandwiches veggies > bread being the main objective) and I'm aiming to do dinner that fits on a small plate instead of a big one. Because while devouring a HUGE plate of food is really damn satisfying, it's wasteful since I rarely need that much food :)

A lot of the time, I already do the small plate thing and I can confirm it is super helpful a lot of the time! If I'm still hungry, there are (usually) seconds. 

The phrasing definitely helps me because I know what I mean. Like, the uncomfortable feeling after eating too much where you feel like you should unbutton the top button on your pants is what I'm talking about. But however you phrase it, it is a super helpful habit and I highly recommend if this is an issue! 

• Like 7

On 1/30/2018 at 8:20 AM, Sylvaa said:
  • I am a person who trains consistently.
    • January is the official 30 day Yoga with Adriene challenge month. OF COURSE I am participating and encouraging everyone else to do the same. My goal is to make it through the 30 days, then start incorporating a weekly yoga video going forward. I get an e-mail every Sunday from YwA - there is no reason I can't start using them.
    • This did not happen. I fell off the wagon in the chaos of my life. I've still kept the videos in my inbox and am working on getting through them as I feel like it. I've also been using these as an alternative when I should have an exercise day, but I get a case of the don't wannas. It's not perfect, but it's progress.

I watched a video on habit-forming a little while ago that talked about "bookmark habits" - something you can do when you don't do the big habit, in order to have something in a similar vein done and keep the habit. So for example, if the habit was daily yoga, your bookmark could be meditating, so that if you're sick or injured or busy or whatever you can do that instead at your usual time and keep the habit of doing something. So you could use the yoga as a bookmark for exercise days, and then it still "counts" as doing the thing

• Like 4

1 minute ago, maegs said:

I watched a video on habit-forming a little while ago that talked about "bookmark habits" - something you can do when you don't do the big habit, in order to have something in a similar vein done and keep the habit. So for example, if the habit was daily yoga, your bookmark could be meditating, so that if you're sick or injured or busy or whatever you can do that instead at your usual time and keep the habit of doing something. So you could use the yoga as a bookmark for exercise days, and then it still "counts" as doing the thing

I saw you saw that. :) 

Truthfully, yoga isn't necessarily something I care all that much about (which is why it falls off my radar so quickly). It's more one of those, "you know, it's probably a good habit to get into" type things for me. So, while I appreciate the reminder about bookmark habits, it's not really that big of a deal. 

I did successfully use yoga as an alternative to a regular workout when I didn't have time for what I had planned. So that kind of ties into the bookmark habits. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, maegs said:

Cool idea. Link for the video?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I saw you saw that. :) 

Truthfully, yoga isn't necessarily something I care all that much about (which is why it falls off my radar so quickly). It's more one of those, "you know, it's probably a good habit to get into" type things for me. So, while I appreciate the reminder about bookmark habits, it's not really that big of a deal. 

I did successfully use yoga as an alternative to a regular workout when I didn't have time for what I had planned. So that kind of ties into the bookmark habits. 

I forgot you saw that! :D 

13 hours ago, annyshay said:

Cool idea. Link for the video?

I think it was only up on the website for a limited time, but I found it through YouTube as well. I'll have a look through my internet history and see if I can find it

ETA - found the link! @annyshay

• Like 2