• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

Moar cowbell - Wait, no. I meant Moar handstands!

Recommended Posts

Image result for more cowbell gif

 

Think about your life for a minute and try to picture what you need more of. If you guessed anything besides handstands, take a few minutes to fix your priorities and then keep guessing until you get the right answer :D

 

Ok, now that we are all on the same page, this thread is for handstand and handstand prep accountability. Not all of us can do handstands, but we can all do things that get us closer.  No matter where you are in your handstand journey, post whatever work you are doing to the thread so we can help and support each other to make the world a better place. Because a world with more handstands is a better world :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems the strikethrough function doesn't work for titles :(

 

I did some handstand kick ups and really sketchy handstand pushups this morning. I will try to get in at least one handstand each day while I am traveling this week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to stay away from handstands for a few days as I did a dumb. (I leaned back a bit far on a hyperextended elbow and it went a little crunchy. It doesn’t really hurt, it mostly feels wonky to use the technical term) So for the moment I’m playing with bent arm yoga style arm balances, or rather trying to remember how to do them. :) 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oh no! I hope it doesn't turn out to be anything serious and that you can get your arm back soon :(

Nah don’t worry, it’s fine. Just a wee bit inflamed. I’ve started tackling my old nemesis arm balance instead today, the one legged crow. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Handstands and muscle ups are two things I could do more with. Also two things I don't train consistently, resulting in a back and forth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2018 at 1:42 AM, Machete said:

I’ve been kicking up with the wrong leg. 

How do you know which leg is the right one?  

 

Recently I have been trying to do both legs simultaneously which is a serious workout...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did headstand training yesterday after about 2 weeks of nothing. Went for legs straight but started from my elbows and then up. Went surprisingly well and i could hold it decently. Perhaps it because a few times before i would go from the ground to up which, right now, is costing me a lot of energy.

9475509e16f7c6ff0fecf50436653702.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2017 at 7:42 PM, Machete said:

EDIT: Reworking partials for this month. I’ve been kicking up with the wrong leg. 

LOL how did you even manage that? :D 

 

18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Recently I have been trying to do both legs simultaneously which is a serious workout...

Oh yeah! Though I really struggle with those. My brain simply does not compute.

 

14 hours ago, Grandkai_NL said:

Did headstand training yesterday after about 2 weeks of nothing. Went for legs straight but started from my elbows and then up. Went surprisingly well and i could hold it decently. Perhaps it because a few times before i would go from the ground to up which, right now, is costing me a lot of energy.

Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me staying away from handstands turned out to be a big fat lie. :P (Elbow's mostly handling it though. Bailing makes it a little twingey because it puts a twist on the joint, but other than that it's fine.)

 

I had one good day, followed by an awesome day, followed by I can't do ANYTHING day. Day 1 I focused on really tight, straight legs. Yesterday I played with cartwheeling up to a straddle handstand, pausing, go into a straight HS, then back to straddle HS (and sometime even repeating straight HS -> straddle HS one or two times) then finishing the cartwheel. Soo fun! I felt so in control! Aaaand today I can't even kick up to a regular HS and my best attempt is maybe 3 seconds. Handstands are the BEST for bringing you down to earth. ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

How do you know which leg is the right one?

Have someone come up from behind and push you forward. The leg that instinctively steps forward to stop your stumble is the right one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh...I am so far away from a handstand but an otter can dream, right? I can do a headstand! But that is as far as I can go, for now. Hoping to work work work at it and aiming for that handstand by the end of the year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, otterbyte said:

Oh...I am so far away from a handstand but an otter can dream, right? I can do a headstand! But that is as far as I can go, for now. Hoping to work work work at it and aiming for that handstand by the end of the year.

Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 1:38 PM, Mad Hatter said:

LOL how did you even manage that? :D

On 1/2/2018 at 7:17 PM, WhiteGhost said:

How do you know which leg is the right one?  

 

Recently I have been trying to do both legs simultaneously which is a serious workout...

 

I kick with my right, but I've practiced balancing with my left (the right on the wall for support). Minor adjustments, really. Still need to get the consistent feeling of alignment.

 

Tried pressing into it a few days ago, but that's not happening if I don't have a steady one to begin with. Duh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Machete said:

 

I kick with my right, but I've practiced balancing with my left (the right on the wall for support). Minor adjustments, really. Still need to get the consistent feeling of alignment.

 

Tried pressing into it a few days ago, but that's not happening if I don't have a steady one to begin with. Duh.

It's pretty impressive that you can manage the hard bit though. :) For me presses feel about a million miles away right now. 

 

Home come you're still using the wall for support? Especially if you're kicking up to it with your back to the wall - that's going to be much harder to find proper alignment than either freestanding or chest to wall...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 4:24 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Have someone come up from behind and push you forward. The leg that instinctively steps forward to stop your stumble is the right one.

I see. I skate/snowboard goofy so I also kick up with that leg and I have always used that leg because it was just natural to do so. I think I will try using off leg just to see what it feels like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 4:43 PM, Mad Hatter said:

It's pretty impressive that you can manage the hard bit though. :) For me presses feel about a million miles away right now. 

 

Home come you're still using the wall for support? Especially if you're kicking up to it with your back to the wall - that's going to be much harder to find proper alignment than either freestanding or chest to wall...

 

Yeah, I worked on the "cool" skills for years, and totally neglected Handstands because I couldn't just do them. CrossFit didn't help. Somebody at my Level 1 (an attendee, not  the teaching staff) actually told me to arch my back so I could counterbalance with my feet.

 

I only use wall behind for presses and HS pushups. Every other time I face the wall and have a foot forward (the wrong one) for support, which I pull up once I get aligned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Machete said:

Yeah, I worked on the "cool" skills for years, and totally neglected Handstands because I couldn't just do them. CrossFit didn't help. Somebody at my Level 1 (an attendee, not  the teaching staff) actually told me to arch my back so I could counterbalance with my feet.

Ha don't we all. :P 

 

I mean, the person giving the advice was technically not incorrect. It's just ugly (by circus standards) and terrible for further skill development, but it's not wrong per se...

 

18 hours ago, Machete said:

I only use wall behind for presses and HS pushups. Every other time I face the wall and have a foot forward (the wrong one) for support, which I pull up once I get aligned.

Ah ok, that makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One week of handstanding every day and still going, yay! :D How did it go for you?

 

Today I was really tired and decided my head needed a break so all I did was 3x60s endurance chest to wall holds. It was honestly harder than I thought it'd be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

How did it go for you?

Ugh.  I don't think I have done any handstand yet this year.  I definitely need to get back on this train before it completely leaves the station

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now