• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

Moar cowbell - Wait, no. I meant Moar handstands!

19 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

@Mr_Willes needs to know about this group (and post his HSPU video)

I already knew about this group... I replied to a fresh young rebel where this group was mentioned that everything is cool to try (read that like, where do i start?!?!). HSPU (for some) reason are pretty easy for me, and like D_R mentioned, i got the proof ;) 

And cause i like to show off i won't withhold this from you...

Okay i really want to be able to do some free standing handstands and be able to walk around a bit and the end goal is to be able to do some free standing hand stand push ups. Warning though, i have this serious case of RangerBrain™. So i'm gonna add in some extra work (when i don't forget). And there will probably be someone around here who has some solid advice.

I basically just need to train balancing, i tried a few times by kicking up to the wall and try to slowly let go of the wall with my feet, but it doesn't feel very controlled, it just feels like a very slow decent back to the ground.

So any tips are appreciated!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

And there will probably be someone around here who has some solid advice.

I got some great advice from @Mad Hatter which helped me get to my first ever free-standing HSPU last month.  The big take-aways for me were 

• Work on making sure your body is as aligned as possible (arms, shoulders and torso in a straight line)
  • Face the wall for supported handstand.  This helps keep a hollow body hold which gives better core support to control your balance
  • Try pulling just one foot off the wall at a time to give your body a better feel of what a fully balanced hand stand feels like
  • Try getting up into a handstand away from a wall.  Being next to a wall makes it easy for the body to default into a leaning position and makes it harder mentally focus on getting into the balanced position
  • Try varying the kickup to see which one feels the most stable for you (left leg first, right leg first, both legs together, from the side/cartwheel, etc.)

That's about all I have.  I suspect the others (hatter and @Machete) here can give better / more complete advice :) 

ETA: Somehow in my eagerness to post my newfound wisdom I forgot to congratulate you on the awesome HSPUs! You were killing them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

I basically just need to train balancing, i tried a few times

Just a head's up, handstands is not just balancing and not something most people can pick up in a few tries. I'm not saying it to put you off, but rather so you can set realistic expectations. :) You're super strong (your are impressive dude!) but handstands are not at all about strength but rather about technique and balance and coordination and they tend to require a bit a lot of patience. (Except for some people like @WhiteGhost who picked it up stupidly fast. :P)

Having said that, I think it's awesome that you want to learn, handstands are super fun! And what WG said is a great starting point. :) I'd also add that before you start freestanding kick ups you should get comfy in the cartwheel bail. If you need more details about anything just ask away!

12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Except for some people like @WhiteGhost who picked it up stupidly fast.

Uh, I think I may have given you some kind of misconception here :( I was doing handstand all the time when I was younger (from age 6 to about 25 or so), although I never had good form.  I am only now getting back to doing them 20 years later, and caring about form for the first time, but the foundation remains.  I wasn't starting over from scratch.

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I tried to do some wall handstands last night just to get back into being inverted but my sinuses led a minor insurrection :( 

I read that lookin like

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor damn gif

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2018 at 12:35 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Uh, I think I may have given you some kind of misconception here :( I was doing handstand all the time when I was younger (from age 6 to about 25 or so), although I never had good form.  I am only now getting back to doing them 20 years later, and caring about form for the first time, but the foundation remains.  I wasn't starting over from scratch.

Oh I didn't realize! It's still cool that you picked it up so quickly after such a long break, but it's definitely a lot easier to regain old skills than to get them in the first place. Especially if you've been doing them for 20 years before stopping. It's nice to hear you're not a freak of nature after all though. :P 

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I tried to do some wall handstands last night just to get back into being inverted but my sinuses led a minor insurrection :( 

Oh no. Maybe let the handstands wait for a few more days.

• Like 1

Anybody still doing handstands?

I usually try to get upside down once every other day or so and I did quite a bit yesterday which felt pretty solid.  I tried getting into them from a cartwheel, but that wasn't happening :D  It was fun to try, though.

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Anybody still doing handstands?

I usually try to get upside down once every other day or so and I did quite a bit yesterday which felt pretty solid.  I tried getting into them from a cartwheel, but that wasn't happening :D  It was fun to try, though.

Of course. :) It's been mainly a very token effort last week, but I had a pretty good session yesterday at least! I need to do more drills though.

What was going on with the cartwheel entry, anything I can attempt to help with?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

What was going on with the cartwheel entry, anything I can attempt to help with?

My biggest problem was dealing with excess momentum.  I had a tendency to try and use my second arm as a brake to stop the momentum when I got to the top, but it resulted in something that looked kind of like an awful attempt to do a one handed handstand pushup from a two handed handstand position.  Does that even make sense?

Basically it was putting too much weight/pressure on my brake arm which was throwing me off balance.  When I tried to slow things down to eliminate that momentum entirely it ended up being more like an attempt to do one handed handstands, and by the time I got my other arm down I was already losing my balance.

No idea how to correct this, but I am open to collecting some underpants :) 

Just now, WhiteGhost said:

I am open to collecting some underpants

My favorite national sport!

I think i'm gonna retry an attempt to this during spring time, when weather is better and i can practice on the lawn. So i'm gonna transform into lurking mode for all the tips and tricks that come by!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor lurking mode activated

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

My biggest problem was dealing with excess momentum.  I had a tendency to try and use my second arm as a brake to stop the momentum when I got to the top, but it resulted in something that looked kind of like an awful attempt to do a one handed handstand pushup from a two handed handstand position.  Does that even make sense?

Basically it was putting too much weight/pressure on my brake arm which was throwing me off balance.  When I tried to slow things down to eliminate that momentum entirely it ended up being more like an attempt to do one handed handstands, and by the time I got my other arm down I was already losing my balance.

No idea how to correct this, but I am open to collecting some underpants :) 

Hmmm. As you already figured you only need a very small amount of momentum - no more than in a regular kick up. Where do you keep your hands when you start? I start with the hands pretty close to the ground, and close to my feet. That keeps the movement small. I'm not sure I quite get your visuals but it sounds like you're bending your arms to absorb the momentum. But as with all handstands you want to keep the elbows locked out, you want to push with that arm, not bend it and then push back up.

When you limited your momentum, could it be that you tried to bring your legs together before you finished the movement? If you keep a wide straddle the entire time the weight of the leg should automatically pull you over, while the other leg counteracts the momentum. If the hands are already close to the ground you should barely spend any time on one hand.

A general pointer for balance, it makes it easier to err on the side of keeping your hips slightly piked rather than slightly arched. Not sure if it's useful or not at this point, but you can stash it in your underpants drawer. ;) 

After a long 3 weeks finally did some headstands today. Straight legs against the wall for the 1st set & just off the wall for my 2nd set. Don't know how long but it felt pretty long.
I'm just happy that i did some headstand again and it felt good.

39 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Where do you keep your hands when you start?

Uh, pointed up at the sky...  Isn't that the default starting position for cartwheels?  It is also the starting point for my regular kick ups.  The difference is that in regular kick ups, both hands are already in place and it is just a matter of locking up the core into a stable position. For cartwheels I have to both tighten my core and place a second hand at the same time which multiplies the complexity.

40 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

could it be that you tried to bring your legs together before you finished the movement?

Yes, it very well could be. In fact, that's exactly how I was doing it. Next time I will try it with a straddle :)

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Uh, pointed up at the sky...  Isn't that the default starting position for cartwheels?  It is also the starting point for my regular kick ups.  The difference is that in regular kick ups, both hands are already in place and it is just a matter of locking up the core into a stable position. For cartwheels I have to both tighten my core and place a second hand at the same time which multiplies the complexity.

It is, but this is not quite a cartwheel. :) It doesn't really matter though, I personally find it's just a little easier to control the momentum that way. It's still exactly the same principle, you look your arms and brace the core. You don't have to do any active hand placements, the hands will naturally follow the path of the movement. 

9 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yes, it very well could be. In fact, that's exactly how I was doing it. Next time I will try it with a straddle :)

The wider the easier. :) 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 10:51 PM, Mad Hatter said:

It is, but this is not quite a cartwheel. :) It doesn't really matter though, I personally find it's just a little easier to control the momentum that way. It's still exactly the same principle, you look your arms and brace the core. You don't have to do any active hand placements, the hands will naturally follow the path of the movement. 

It sounds like what you are describing is more like the GMB side-to-side ape movement where he gets his legs up high and stops at the top.  Speaking of which, I should try it that way :D 

On 1/22/2018 at 10:51 PM, Mad Hatter said:

The wider the easier. :)

My widest straddle is so narrow I suspect the difference will be inconsequential.  Once I can get it to 90 degrees it may start to help...

Did some handstands this morning as part of my workout but was not feeling it.  Even the better ones were wobbly and I could feel my form was a mess.

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It sounds like what you are describing is more like the GMB side-to-side ape movement where he gets his legs up high and stops at the top.  Speaking of which, I should try it that way :D 

Nooo the start position for that movement is completely different, I'm just not describing it well. :P The movement is still a cartwheel, just imagine bringing down your arms reeeeally slowly and stop a bit before they reach the ground. The arms are still in line with the rest of the body. That's the starting starting position I use. In side monkey the arms start in front of you. But you don't have to start the way I do, you can start with your arms overhead. The point is more that the arms are not used to generate momentum or to push, all they do is stay locked out, the only push comes from the shoulders. 

My widest straddle is so narrow I suspect the difference will be inconsequential.  Once I can get it to 90 degrees it may start to help...

Doesn't really matter, the idea is more to concentrate on actively holding the straddle throughout the whole movement and not let your legs fly up.

Did some handstands this morning as part of my workout but was not feeling it.  Even the better ones were wobbly and I could feel my form was a mess.

Handstand life ;) They will be better next time. 

• Like 1