• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mab

Mabs going for Mabulous

Hello peeps,

I am so pleased to have found this forum and you lovely lot! I was having a bit of a random google of things yesterday morning, you know, like "absolute beginners guide to doing some exercise" and "is drinking vast quantities of wine REALLY bad for you?" and somehow managed to stumble across Nerd Fitness. Happy days, it struck a chord with me, and now I'm all motivated and eager :)

So, about me! I live in the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus though I'm thoroughly English; my vices are wine, haribo and cheese. I love to cook, I love to read, and I have in the past spent far more time than is healthy playing in Second Life.

I've been overweight for all of my adult life, fluctuating from between 168lb to 220lb at my heaviest. When I first moved here I lost a few pounds purely from the change in diet and no longer having a car to get around, then a brief spell in hospital last year had me accidentally drop two stone. My overall quest for the next 12 months is - lose the remaining 21lb, get fit and tone up where I have already lost weight.

We eat pretty well out here, takeaways are rare and if I suggest eating fried chicken (another vice!) to my other half he looks at me in horror. He's a bit of a gym freak and very very conscious of what he eats; days he's not at work I cook three to four full meals from scratch, days he does work it's only breakfast and dinner... If anyone is interested in recipes please squeal, I can talk about food all day long and there's pretty much nothing I won't try cooking!

Anyway, apologies I'm waffling on (I have tax returns to do and I'm trying to avoid it...). The things I've picked for this challenge are:

Diet

Cut out added sugar - Cakes (I bake a lot for my step-son), haribo and sugar in coffee

Reduce the wine - Cut it down to three nights per week instead of seven!

Fitness

Walk the coastal path to the beach and back at least 5 x per week (about 3.5km)

LUYL

Get into a proper work routine - I work from home and it's far too easy to become distracted!

So I guess I've probably posted this a bit early but I reckon that I have a lot to do before I start in earnest on the first... clearing out the cupboards of Christmas food for starters!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing :)

*Hugs*

Mabs

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Mab said:

you know, like "absolute beginners guide to doing some exercise"

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor concur gif

and "is drinking vast quantities of wine REALLY bad for you?"

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor no gif

(j/k)

and somehow managed to stumble across Nerd Fitness. Happy days, it struck a chord with me, and now I'm all motivated and eager

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor yes gif

I'm reading all sorts of very good things in your challenge, all sane useful stuff. Just try not to overwhelm yourself for starters. Keep the motivation going. Try to ingrain habits instead of the quick (but treacherous) path to a healthy lifestyle. I have been with the rebellion for about 3 years, and i can tell you, we are all in it for the long haul!

Enjoy your first challenge!!!

(BTW i'm really not stalking you, just happen to stumble in here today...)

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor stalker gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Thank you so much for the welcome, and words of wisdom - it's a refreshing change to be called sane :)

23 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

(BTW i'm really not stalking you, just happen to stumble in here today...)

giphy.gif.770733e675d57a0504528acdb5e83faa.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What fun! I'm already in love with you... also in a non-stalkerish way. Lol. I enjoy the way you write!

I, too, found NF the same way... by googling things like "how to exercise when you hate to exercise" and "tips for the first time at the gym".

When you say "haribo" do you mean the gummy candy company? Or is that some other English thing that I don't recognize as an American? (Hahaha!)

And I'd love to hear more about where you live at some point. How did you come to be there?! 

I have lived "sugar-free" for about 10 years now, as I am allergic to most types of sugar. One of my secrets is using high quality essential oils to bump up the flavor profile of desserts. I have been experimenting with baking with EOs for about 3 years now. It's pretty interesting! Who needs sugar when you are eating lavender lemon cookies?!

Happy challenging!! 

• Like 1

Welcome Mabs!

Wow, for whatever reason walking the coastal path seems to adventurous to me... I suppose that probably has something to do with me living in a frozen tundra right now haha.  

• Like 1

Hi Mabs :) You've got some nice quests set up. What do you mean by "Get into a proper work routine"? Making a set period of time of each day where you work instead of procrastinate?
Good luck for the challenge.

• Like 1

Good evening my chickens!

I hope you've all had a tip-top Saturday; we have my OH's son for the weekend, so this is the first time I've moved out of the kitchen all day...

It's so great to have such welcoming comments, thank you so much all! Here's my replies to your questions :)

On 29/12/2017 at 5:02 PM, The Real Syl Mil said:

When you say "haribo" do you mean the gummy candy company? Or is that some other English thing that I don't recognize as an American? (Hahaha!)

Oh yes... nom nom nom. Have you ever seen that video of how they actually make that shit? Even that didn't put me off eating it. I'd take any kind of gummy candy over chocolate any day...

And I'd love to hear more about where you live at some point. How did you come to be there?! 

Quite by accident :) My parents retired here, I came for a visit and fell in love with the place. Because the country is still not recognised by the international community (except for Turkey) it's kind of like being stuck in the 1970's - for example most shops are small, family owned, there are no big international chains such as McDonalds, Starbucks, Coca-Cola and so on. Which is perfect because it means the focus is still very much on family and community. I had a high pressure job in the UK and thought "Fuck it, I'd rather be a waitress for a pittance in a country like that, than earning a fortune and having no life in the UK." much to my mother's horror :):)

I have lived "sugar-free" for about 10 years now, as I am allergic to most types of sugar. One of my secrets is using high quality essential oils to bump up the flavor profile of desserts. I have been experimenting with baking with EOs for about 3 years now. It's pretty interesting! Who needs sugar when you are eating lavender lemon cookies?!

I must learn more of this thing!! I bake a lot, but Little K will eat cake non-stop unless I hide it, I need to find lower sugar versions of things for him to eat. Example, I made cornflake/mars bar cakes last night, and he's eaten them all in 24 hours. There were 4 mars bars in that lot! That's not good for an 8 year old. Lavender lemon sounds amazing...

On 29/12/2017 at 5:51 PM, Baxtan said:

Welcome Mabs!

Wow, for whatever reason walking the coastal path seems to adventurous to me... I suppose that probably has something to do with me living in a frozen tundra right now haha.  

Thank you! And awww... if it makes you feel better it feels bloody cold right now, even though it was 17C outside today. Here's a picture to cheer you up, please feel free to send me some pictures of cold...

IMG_20171216_091711.thumb.jpg.d6ba8b1b6964d1973347a096cb4adaee.jpg

13 hours ago, DiegoVulpes said:

Hi Mabs :) You've got some nice quests set up. What do you mean by "Get into a proper work routine"? Making a set period of time of each day where you work instead of procrastinate?
Good luck for the challenge.

Thank you! And urgh, work... In an ideal world I would be working 35 hours per week. But, I'm easily distracted, because although I am good at my work, I find it remarkably dull :) So yes, I guess you hit the nail on the head!

It's been so nice to read all of your comments, and I'm really enjoying following everyone's individual threads - what a fortunate rabble we are to have found each other!

Love and licks xx

• Like 3

On 12/28/2017 at 3:32 AM, Mab said:

"is drinking vast quantities of wine REALLY bad for you?"

Gosh I hope not!! (kidding, I'm not supposed to drink at all right now...but I do love wine...)

6 hours ago, Mab said:

IMG_20171216_091711.thumb.jpg.d6ba8b1b6964d1973347a096cb4adaee.jpg

I'm so jealous! This is beautiful, who wouldn't want to live here?!

Following for food, wine, and hopefully more pictures like this :D 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mab said:

I had a high pressure job in the UK and thought "Fuck it, I'd rather be a waitress for a pittance in a country like that, than earning a fortune and having no life in the UK."

I love this! :D

That photo is GORGEOUS. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mab said:

Quite by accident :) My parents retired here, I came for a visit and fell in love with the place. Because the country is still not recognised by the international community (except for Turkey) it's kind of like being stuck in the 1970's - for example most shops are small, family owned, there are no big international chains such as McDonalds, Starbucks, Coca-Cola and so on. Which is perfect because it means the focus is still very much on family and community. I had a high pressure job in the UK and thought "Fuck it, I'd rather be a waitress for a pittance in a country like that, than earning a fortune and having no life in the UK." much to my mother's horror :):)

I think it's terrific that you're prioritizing a family/community lifestyle over money. If the happiness experts are right, you'll be glad you made that decision! 

• Like 3

So, today has been my first official day of the challenge! Normally New Year's Day for me would involve eating and drinking all of the leftovers in the kitchen (in preparation for a diet to start on the 2nd :P ), followed by an afternoon lazing in the pub watching the football with my friends and copious amounts of ale. But! Today I have been very well behaved, even though I have almost an entire Christmas Cake left over, and a box of liquor chocolates lurking in the cupboard.

I have had my perambulation along the sea front (sulky Turk in tow, who thought we were going out for a short walk and a coffee), and I have not had sugar or cake, or sweets of any variety. I will say Turkish coffee without sugar is going to take some adapting to, but I can do it - I can, I can, honest I can!

I'm actually going to modify my challenge a bit as I discovered the beginners Bodyweight thing and had a go, and now I want to do it all the time (she says having done it twice and her legs hating her afterwards). So instead of my walk five times a week I'm going to alternate walking with the BW circuit every other day.

I'm also going to use this as a bit of a food diary, more as a reminder for myself:

Breakfast - Turkish breakfast light  :) - cucumber, tomatoes, boiled egg, Nor cheese (skipped the olives, never liked them anyway, and the bread and honey)

Lunch - Lentil, bulghur and tomato soup with a slice of wholewheat bread

Dinner - Tuna pasta salad (which I'm not happy about, but the OH turned his nose up at the curry I was planning)

Snacks - Coffee, Turkish coffee, the last of the cheese thins (biscuit things) that I baked for the holidays, red vino.

Now repeat after me... the Christmas cake will keep, the Christmas cake will keep...

• Like 2

Happy 2018! The Christmas Cake will taste better if it ages for a while, right? (at least that's what I'm telling myself!) The shortbread, however, is a lost cause!

I'm just starting the bodyweight workouts too -- and I notice you're also interested in weightlifting. Hope we can chat some more as the challenge goes on!

In the meantime, I will envy you your beautiful seascape, while I look out on the -27 C tundra that is my backyard! (sigh!)

Edited by KayLou
[Edited - deleted GIF that didn't work like I wanted. New skills. I need new skills!]
  • Like 3

Day 2, and all is well! I hope everyone else is having a great day :)

I did the Beginner's Bodyweight thing again this morning; I managed to keep going despite a moment of mortification mid star-jump (Jumping Jacks to you US types).Note to self, buy more supportive bra, or shut the curtains when the gardener is around... My mate/former boss has decided she's going to come with me on my walk tomorrow which will be fun especially as she'll be bringing her Rottweiler puppy - she did sound a mite hesitant when I mentioned 7am but I'm sure she'll make it! 

I made a good start on getting into a proper work routine; I've planned what I'm doing for the week and I've also (nearly) worked out how to fit everything into my day. I even managed a phone call with the UK tax authorities and DIDN'T lose my temper despite the lack of cake, so I'm counting that as a major win :):) I kind of lost focus around half three, my brain seemed to go fuzzy and I couldn't concentrate - this is typical for me and is usually when I give up working and start looking at crap online. I'm going to keep an eye on my food diary and see if there are any days it doesn't happen, and if so what I eat on those days. Anyone else get like that?

Here's what I've eaten anyways...

Breakfast - slice wholemeal toast and butter (ran out of time to cook eggs as I was determined to start work by half nine)

Snack - banana

Lunch - Tuna salad made with wholewheat pasta

Snack - A random boiled egg I found during a fridge rummage, with mayonnaise and cayenne. Then peanuts and raisins

Dinner - Chicken and vegetable curry with rice

Ohh another question - I did my exercise before I had my breakfast, is that an okay thing to do, or should I be sure to eat something a while beforehand?

Love and licks peeps xxx

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mab said:

Ohh another question - I did my exercise before I had my breakfast, is that an okay thing to do, or should I be sure to eat something a while beforehand?

Love and licks peeps xxx

I have started to workout on an empty stomach on my off days and haven't noticed a difference in my quality of workouts. I have been trying intermittent fasting, so I'll stop eating around 7 pm and not eat again until 7 am when I am at work. On my days off I'll eat after the gym. I usually try to go 12 hours between my last meal and first meal the next day. I think it depends on how you feel, some people need to eat something so they don't feel nausea, I don't think there is anything wrong with working out before breakfast. Good luck on your challenges.

• Like 1

Personally I get nauseous if I eat before I work out...I've heard arguments for both sides and think it comes down to personal preference...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mab said:

I did the Beginner's Bodyweight thing again this morning; I managed to keep going despite a moment of mortification mid star-jump (Jumping Jacks to you US types).Note to self, buy more supportive bra, or shut the curtains when the gardener is around... My mate/former boss has decided she's going to come with me on my walk tomorrow which will be fun especially as she'll be bringing her Rottweiler puppy - she did sound a mite hesitant when I mentioned 7am but I'm sure she'll make it! 

here's my jumping jack (love star jump though!) story: I  teach tae kwon do, and I've been making the kids do lots of jumping jacks. I was leading the class once and all of a sudden - I felt my sports bra unhook in the back! I had to stop jumping and make up a story about needing to blow my nose and ran off while a kid kept counting off the jumps so I could get myself all sorted out and tucked back in. OMG.

re: breakfast - there are as many different perspectives on this as there are people. Many people like to do a "fasted workout," they feel it jumpstarts your metabolism. Others feel that you should have a bit of protein to get your muscles cranking. at this stage in your fitness journey, you should do whatever doesn't upset your stomach! :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2017 at 3:32 AM, Mab said:

If anyone is interested in recipes please squeal, I can talk about food all day long and there's pretty much nothing I won't try cooking!

You should check out @Tanktimus the Encourager's thread - he posts awesome recipes and loves to talk about food too!  :D 

I've tried both fasting workouts and right-after-eating workouts, and neither one works well for me ... I usually try to eat something with protein an hour or so before I work out, so my stomach is neither full nor empty. But as the others have said, I don't think there's any one right or wrong way - just whatever works for you.

On 1/2/2018 at 1:01 PM, Mab said:

I kind of lost focus around half three, my brain seemed to go fuzzy and I couldn't concentrate - this is typical for me and is usually when I give up working and start looking at crap online. I'm going to keep an eye on my food diary and see if there are any days it doesn't happen, and if so what I eat on those days. Anyone else get like that?

Ooh, I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your investigation! I always chalk my loss-of-concentration up to being tired or bored, but it certainly could be tied to food in some way! Keep us posted on what you find!  :D 

• Like 2

Aaand good morning again chickens!

Thank you all so much for your comments about food before workouts, it's really useful to gain some different perspectives and it's good to know that I'm okay doing what I'm doing. Perhaps as time goes on and I start doing more and more I will need to eat breakfast beforehand, but for now I shall continue as I was :)

So, how is everyone? Here's a picture from yesterday's walk - I've not managed to capture just how beautiful the clouds were over the mountains, but maybe it will still perk up all of you who are shivering out there!

I have decided that I'm going to walk on my own in future - just me, my tranquil surroundings, and a bit of Megadeth to keep me going. I was talking to my friend as we were ambling along yesterday; I'd sent her the link to the beginners bodyweight work out and she was all "Ohh, I tried that thing you sent me, it was far too easy, hardly worth bothering with, I didn't even break a sweat" and then proceeded to write on FB that we'd walked 4km instead of 3km. I'm really pleased for her if she found all of the routine that simple, but I want the kind of good, honest motivation and support that is offered here - and I don't want to say I've done more than I have!

In other news, I am going to own up right now to eating a piece of Christmas cake yesterday. I had a truly horrible, horrible email that upset me and sent my stress levels through the roof, so I sat and I cried and I ate cake. I should have done what @The Real Syl Mil suggested and put the cake in the freezer! Which leads me to the next questions -do you think it's okay to freeze it if it's covered in marzipan and sugar paste? And, what kind of things trigger you to eating/drinking something you're trying to avoid, and how do you work with it?

So, that's enough of me being a whingebag - thanks for listening! Today I still have said email to deal with but am in a much more calm frame of mind - and I had the random news that I won a free go on the lottery, so happy days peeps! 

Here's yesterday's food diary:

Breakfast - Boiled egg, tomato, cucumber, beyaz peynir (bit like Feta)

Snack - Tangerine

Lunch - Vegetable curry and wholemeal bread

Snack - Nuts and a slice of cake

Dinner - Cottage pie with potato and celeriac mash, brocolli

Hope you all have a wonderful day :)

Mabatron xxx

IMG_20180103_074107.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1