• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mab

Mabs going for Mabulous

19 hours ago, karinajean said:

here's my jumping jack (love star jump though!) story: I  teach tae kwon do, and I've been making the kids do lots of jumping jacks. I was leading the class once and all of a sudden - I felt my sports bra unhook in the back! I had to stop jumping and make up a story about needing to blow my nose and ran off while a kid kept counting off the jumps so I could get myself all sorted out and tucked back in. OMG.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!! This really made me giggle :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mab said:

In other news, I am going to own up right now to eating a piece of Christmas cake yesterday. I had a truly horrible, horrible email that upset me and sent my stress levels through the roof, so I sat and I cried and I ate cake. I should have done what @The Real Syl Mil suggested and put the cake in the freezer! Which leads me to the next questions -do you think it's okay to freeze it if it's covered in marzipan and sugar paste? And, what kind of things trigger you to eating/drinking something you're trying to avoid, and how do you work with it?

I'm so sorry about the horrible horrible email!! I might be tempted to eat Christmas cake too!

AodaK_s-200x150.gif

Boredom is my biggest no-I-don't-want-to-eat-right-now-oh-wait-I'm-eating trigger ... if I'm working on something that I'm not terribly interested in, or especially if I'm stuck in the house when I want to go out, I tend to snack. And I love to eat cereal while I'm watching a movie.

I hope everything is resolved with the email soon!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mab said:

Which leads me to the next questions -do you think it's okay to freeze it if it's covered in marzipan and sugar paste? And, what kind of things trigger you to eating/drinking something you're trying to avoid, and how do you work with it?

Here's yesterday's food diary:

Breakfast - Boiled egg, tomato, cucumber, beyaz peynir (bit like Feta)

Snack - Tangerine

Lunch - Vegetable curry and wholemeal bread

Snack - Nuts and a slice of cake

Dinner - Cottage pie with potato and celeriac mash, brocolli

So I say assume that the cake will keep in the freezer...and if it doesn't, even better for you, right? Cuz when the time comes to eat it, you won't need it anyway!!
What else gives you comfort during difficult times? A hug from a person who loves you? Throwing some rocks at the water? Punching a pillow? Deep breathing or hyperventilating breathing? Running stairs? Crying in the shower? Screaming in your car? Make a nice long list and when you get triggered again, notice the trigger, then try one of the things on your list. Scratch off the ones that don't work. And give yourself some grace. When shit gets hard, a girl can have a bite of cake or two!! (Just not the whole thing!) 

For me, meditation was a game changer. I practiced breathing every night. Then one day I was in my car and got an upsetting call and I found myself automatically doing the breathing! I couldn't believe it just happened so easily! Practicing it while I was calm made it automatic. Then when I really needed it, there it was! Now I can take that big cleansing breath (or 12) and then I can think more clearly about whether I really need that cake or not. Sometimes the answer is yes. Sometimes not. The thing is, (and here I shall regale you with my impressive brain knowledge, ready?) when our emotions or fears get triggered, we jump into our "reptilian brain". The more emotional we are, the stupider we are. We physically cannot use logic or reason to talk ourselves into making a good decision. So we absolutely have to vent those emotions somehow BEFORE trying to respond. It takes practice! So don't beat yourself up. Your lizard needs cake. Lol. You just have to practice noticing when your lizard brain is trying to take over, acknowledge what's happening, do something to appease him, and then respond.

And finally, what exactly is cottage pie??

• Like 4

On 1/4/2018 at 4:13 PM, The Real Syl Mil said:

For me, meditation was a game changer. I practiced breathing every night. Then one day I was in my car and got an upsetting call and I found myself automatically doing the breathing! I couldn't believe it just happened so easily! Practicing it while I was calm made it automatic. Then when I really needed it, there it was! Now I can take that big cleansing breath (or 12) and then I can think more clearly about whether I really need that cake or not. Sometimes the answer is yes. Sometimes not. The thing is, (and here I shall regale you with my impressive brain knowledge, ready?) when our emotions or fears get triggered, we jump into our "reptilian brain". The more emotional we are, the stupider we are. We physically cannot use logic or reason to talk ourselves into making a good decision. So we absolutely have to vent those emotions somehow BEFORE trying to respond. It takes practice! So don't beat yourself up. Your lizard needs cake. Lol. You just have to practice noticing when your lizard brain is trying to take over, acknowledge what's happening, do something to appease him, and then respond.

Wow, this was really helpful to me, too! I never thought about it quite that way, but it makes a lot of sense!

What does your meditation practice look like? I've never tried meditation except through a couple of one-off workshops, so I don't really know how or where to begin; but my boss advised me to try it so my brain isn't so all-over-the-place all the time (talk about an embarrassing suggestion from your boss!!).  :P