RisenPhoenix Starts to Burn in the New Year

RisenPhoenix

latest?cb=20120818223210

I was trying to find a good theme.  But I think I'll take the easy route for now, and go with my name sake.  And some Harry Potter.

f3954051ffc36e59cff72f0a5c22d7edf715d416

I wrote some venting stuff.  It wasn't very good.  So let's cut to my big 2018 goals:

• Blackbelt Prep
  • Iaido Prep
  • Get down to 15% body fat

I need to build back up a whole lot of habits that have fallen to the wayside the last couple weeks/months.  I also haven't done much physical activity in December, with the official start of the 'new' job and the travel prep and traveling.  So slow and steady is how this is going to go, until I build back up to where I'm comfortable.  That said, I DO need to keep in mind the whole "schedule free time" thing.  I don't want to end up exhausted and stressed by all the 'fun' stuff I'm supposed to be doing.  And so, we begin.

1) Return to the Count: Count all the calories, 2400 calories per day (taking into account physical activity)

3a01b2fd050e560fdbb27dc09fda3ad40e31b1dc

I do really well calorie counting.  It honestly is the best way for me to both lose weight, and maintain weight.  So I'm going to log all the food in MFP, like the olden days.  Unlike the olden days, I'm going to be actually taking into account my physical activities.  Honestly, it won't be much, because I stopped lifting months ago to give myself some more sleep time.  Maybe the lifting will make a come back, maybe it won't, but either way no lifting will likely happen in January for me.  

Also, some additional stuffs: Nothing but fruit and nuts from the work snack stashes will be allowed.  Also the lifesaver mints.  Which definitely have calories.  Might actually empower the receptionist to knock my hand away from the candy dish....  But I should be able to get some decent calorie cutting by not eating all the things at work.

2) Aikido Archive - Document 5 techniques a week in name, one a week in video format

02-878-Dumbledore-Wand-1.gif?w=320&q=85

I have seriously been slacking on this project since I decided to do it.  By which I mean I wrote up the base document and haven't filled in a damn thing.  So I need to start working on that.  I should be able to get through the 5th to 2nd kyu exams pretty easily, and I can actually put our testing video into the document at this point, at least until I get the techniques individually recorded.

3) Class Time - 5 Hours of aikido a week

tumblr_n2cefbV36c1su7sauo1_500.gif

Like, seriously.  How is this not expected at this point.  I'm aiming right now for QUALITY hours on the mat, more than quantity.  I plan on testing the end of 2018 or the beginning for 2019, and I will have more than enough hours by then.  I don't need more hours, I need more brains on the mat.  I need to start playing again a bit more, I need to embrace the fact that I suck, and I need to find ways around it.  Eventually I also want to start attending classes at Harvard Aikikai (at least once in a while) and New England Aikikai.  Both because the different instruction will help, and also it'll be good for helping mend the relationships between the dojo's current generation.  Even if the older generation can't play nicely due to the history behind everything.

4) Find an easy, short mobility routine for ankles.  Perform in the morning.

tumblr_mq1fctoA231s8g66lo1_500.gif

I've come to the conclusion that my ankles are my biggest limiting factor in aikido these days.  My knees bend easily enough, but my ankle lock out a bit sooner than I would like, which makes lowering my center while maintaining my posture a bit more tricky.  This likely also contributes to my hatred of squats.  In any case, I'd like to get my mornings started with some mobility work, so maybe things will get a bit better on that front.

5) Extra Credit Adulting:

• Tidy up the Pantry
  • Purge old/unworn clothing
  • Put the clothing away
  • Fix the Oven and/or call the landlord to replace over
  • Find two new recipes to try
  • Host a house Game night

That should cover it for the first couple of weeks.  I need to get my head back in the game.  At least this time I have stable employment.  What an odd feeling that is.  Hopefully it helps give me an anchor for the coming year.

• Like 5

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

30 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

Oh, sure, and after you gave me a hard time about it in the common thread... :P 

I'm sorry that after all this time you forget I'm an asshole. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Updated with goals and gifs.  Now to head to the dojo for the end of year class and party!

@RisenPhoenix - let me know if you want help on the ankle stuffs - I've screwed up both my ankles but good over my life and have a lot of physio exercises both for mobility and for stability I could refer you to. I have a physio routine I do regularly that is more focused on stability but does have some mobility stuff in there for ankle maintenance, plus another mobility-focused routine I do whenever I'm recovering from an ankle tweak to help maintain flexibility. 

4 hours ago, chemgeek said:

@RisenPhoenix - let me know if you want help on the ankle stuffs - I've screwed up both my ankles but good over my life and have a lot of physio exercises both for mobility and for stability I could refer you to. I have a physio routine I do regularly that is more focused on stability but does have some mobility stuff in there for ankle maintenance, plus another mobility-focused routine I do whenever I'm recovering from an ankle tweak to help maintain flexibility. 

Yessssss please.  I really have horrible flexation and mobility in my ankles.  Every little bit helps.

Today really starts my challenge for me.  Yesterday I treated myself - to Deathstar pineapple waffles and bacon and happiness.  Today I'm counting all the things I shove in my face.  My immediate thought is.... I need to eat more.  I'll definitely end up eating more things than I brought today, though, so that's fine.  I also need to remember to drink more water.  Plan after work is to go to the dojo for a single class.  It's cold, I slept poorly, and November Project is in the morning.  Rest is important.

Otherwise, should be a pretty chill day for me.  If my brain finally catches up with what I need to accomplish.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Gooooooals ho. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

4 hours ago, Kishi said:

Whoa, whoa, wait, what, you put pineapples in those waffles. I didn't even know that was a thing. That's, like, the missing ingredient, no?

'Kay, but hear me out on this. Put the bacon in the pineapple waffles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

18 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Yessssss please.  I really have horrible flexation and mobility in my ankles.  Every little bit helps.

OK. I have no time this morning to get into it in the full length of things, but this is me giving you permission to bug me tomorrow if I haven't gotten to it this evening! :) Just need to go digging for the sites my physio sent me last time I was in for it - a lot of the stuff out there either doesn't give you enough info to do the exercise safely or is outdated. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

'Kay, but hear me out on this. Put the bacon in the pineapple waffles.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I am not a fan of warm pineapple + bacon/ham/prosciutto.  Both of them separately?  Hell yes.  But I just do not like how they mesh.

But I did happily munch on bacon and eggs as a side to the pancakes.

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think if you average us out we make one healthy eater. I have the opposite problem.

I mean, left to my own devices I definitely over-eat.  When I log my food I'm a lot more conscientious about how and what I eat.  It's one of the reasons I haven't tried a Whole30/hard primal/Paleo challenge - even the good stuff I'll over indulge in.  The trick I had to get comfortable with was when I was leaner I needed to remember to eat back calories.  Maybe this time I'll learn my lesson.

Anyway, Day 1 of calorie counting had me at ~1800 calories yesterday.  Yes, yes, it's low.  But I honestly felt pretty great the whole day, and even this morning was feeling fine.  I was pretty much just busy and in the lab most of yesterday, so food was a quick thing.  Though while making dinner last night I did snack on a few pieces of bacon.  Macros were pretty evenly split, percentage-wise (37c, 32f, 31p), and my protein was ~140 grams.  Not bad, considering the low calorie count.  I did go to the dojo for a single class - because I was exhausted from my furnace keeping me up all night, and just mentally dull.  That was about 200 calories of activity, I figure, with the warm ups and the falling-and-getting-back-upness of it all.  MFP has an estimate for slow dancing, which I used to base my aikido counts on.  Not perfect, but it'll do.

This morning I went to November Project.  It was cold.  The Stairs have snow.  Thus, there weren't (big) Stairs this morning for the workout.  Instead it was a sprint down a hallway, a recovery jog/walk, then up a spiral of stairs inside the stadium to the bleachers (maybe 4-6 flights of stairs to get there?), walking lunges for a bit, and then turn around, back down the stairs to the sprint area to begin the loop again.  I have no idea how many times I did that.  Maybe 10-12 reps?  No idea how I'm going to log that into MFP, but I'll figure something out.  Maybe there's some weird cardio circuit I can use, and the cold requiring me to warm myself up definitely helped.

No aikido tonight, which may prove to be a bad idea, if this giant Nor'easter storm wallops us hard as people are saying.  Probably should get get some small food items to get through the storm.  Like chili-making items.  Storms require good chilis.  Or at least a chili to eat.  But if the city calls a snow emergency, dojo shuts down as well.  Ah well.  Not going to worry too much about it.

And now I'm off to do actual work.

• Like 1

Glad to see you here with all of us in the get-back-on-track-New-Year challenge.

I've been overeating all the treats over the holidays. It shows on the scale and in how my clothes fit. I applaud you in tracking your calories. My approach is to attack stress eating with alternative activity. More fun, less stress, less snacking. We'll see how that goes.

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

For those wondering about the Waffles:

Spoiler

26195712_10100192385066057_6684359989719

They were wonderful.  I was lazy though - Bisquick mix, a bit of vanilla extract, and a can of crushed pineapple.  Definitely easy to make, though it took a while going through the batter because I could only make one at a time.

Today is a snow day.  I have some things I can do to work from home, but not a whole lot, honestly.  But I started my 'work' day with this meal:

26229449_10100193149613897_4860398366062

Technically my job didn't close the office, but GrandBoss (who was former Boss) said not to come in.  My Boss (formerly Second in Command) still was going in, but she was also fine with us working from home the best we can.  I also wonder if the company has thought about how their unlimited vacation policy means that even though they might not official close the office that most people now have no reason to worry about PTO burn if they say screw it.  Anyway, it's not that big of a deal.  At least I have a boss this time around who doesn't want me driving in a blizzard for some random assay work.  I do NOT miss Toxic Job.

Challenge wise, yesterday I ended at 2100 calories, partially because I decided to treat myself to a Hershey's Gold bar.  I heard about it when they reported on it in November, and was just curious to try it.  Finally found a place yesterday that sold it (when I stopped for windshield washer fluid and some snowstorm snacks), so I nabbed it.  Not bad, definitely a treat, definitely don't feel bad about it.  I logged NP as a "general cardio circuit training" entry in MFP, coming in around 500-600 calories burned.  Between typical NP Workouts and thermoregulation that had to happen, it sounded about right.  One of the few times I wish I had a FitBit for something to go off on.

I should be good an use some of the freetime today to update the Aikido webpage and my Archive.  I'll work on that a bit later today, and you can all yell at me if I report tomorrow that I didn't do squat.  I'm now going to poke @chemgeek for that ankle mobility stuff, too.

No aikido tonight because of the snow storm.  Depending on how bad it is tonight/tomorrow, maybe I'll try to go to class tomorrow or something.  But I'll be short this week because of the weather - two classes between Sunday and Tuesday, another 2 on Saturday is the plan.  I'm not overly concerned.  I'd rather be well rested anyway.

Okay, enough procrastination.  Going to do some minor work, I guess.

• Like 2

Ankle stuffs: There are a bunch of stretches you can do - physioadvisor has some good ones: https://www.physioadvisor.com.au/exercises/flexibility-joints/ankle/

This website goes into a bit more detail on the causes of ankle mobility issues:https://drjohnrusin.com/10-exercises-to-instantly-improve-ankle-mobility/

That's for a brief primer. There's a few more advanced exercises you can do with elastic exercise bands or a stair or box, but that will get you started at a more basic level. 

Other thing: if stretching regularly for a while does not cause gains in flexibility, see a doctor. Bone spurs can cause physical joint limitations on flexibility that no amount of stretching will compensate for. 

• Like 2

Hiking in uneven ground is, in my experience, good for ankle mobility and rehab. Might not be enough for a basically healthy ankle.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Hokay, so.

Yesterday I ate about 3,000 calories, but I shoveled for about 2.5 hours.  Something evens out somewhere.  I also updated the Aikido Archive with a couple of technique names, but need to attach a video to the samples, even if it's just a placeholder for now.  

Lunch today was totally going to be my run-of-the-mill low calorie lunch, until work busted out a slew of burritos as the provided lunch.  Ergo, I now have a lot of calories in the form of a delicious, delicious burrito. Ah well.  Worth it.

Plan tonight after work is to go grocery shopping, so I don't have to be out in the freezing cold temperature that are slated for tomorrow.  I want to get to the dojo , but honestly if the weather is complete crap I may ditch the idea and pile 47 blankets on top of me instead.  I also want to get my clothes sorted in my bedroom, so I don't look as though a tornado has flown through my room.  And when all is said and done, I want to reward myself with a nice cup of tea and lots of reading Oathbringer.

Plans.  I have them.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 12:20 PM, Lou_be_Lou said:

47 blankets sounds fabulous.  All of the warm.

Lou! *waves*

Also I swapped the 47 blankets for an electric one, while wearing a fuzzy Jedi bathrobe.  It was, indeed, fabulous.

On 1/5/2018 at 2:56 PM, Kishi said:

Plans keep until they don't anymore. Typically when it's time for them to be done. Best of luck with that!

Oh shush.  I DID manage to go grocery shopping last night.  I also did a bunch of laundry, called a friend to catch up, during which I cleaned the disaster that was my bedroom, AND still had plenty of time to read Oathbringer before bed.  Food yesterday though was kind of crap, though still not terrible.  About 2500 calories.  Not a deficit at all, but it was all pretty tasty.

This morning I did go to class, but decided to take it easy and only did one class.  It was remarkably well attended, considering the negative-feeling temperatures with the wind chill we have right now.  I heard the high today was something like 7F.  Brrr.  But I went, even if I felt like everything I did was wrong.  Which I suppose is a good thing, but I'm currently in the "Every movement I make is WRONG" phase of things that typically happens now and again.  On the plus side, I can feel a lot of it being wrong, and vaguely know how to fix it.  It's just a matter of lining my body's movements up with my brain's plans.  And then being able to do it unconsciously.  Totally easy, right?

Got home, had a wonderful breakfast of bacon and eggs and spinach, lots of coffee, and some more Oathbringer.  Then I actually got off my lazy ass to do some things for the dojo website that I had been putting off for days.  I had meant to do them all Wednesday after work, but was exhausted, and then was supposed to do them Thursday during the storm.  Ah well.  It got done before the meeting it's getting presented at anyway.

Tomorrow I'll go to class, again letting my sleep plans dictate if I'll go to one or two classes.  This weekend is a lot of social recovery for me after the holiday season.  No need to make myself feel stressed about going to do something I like when there are plenty of opportunities to engage in it over the week.  Then I need to do a bunch of batch cooking to prep for the week.  I think I'm going to try and prep something more than a sandwich to combat the provided lunch on Thursday.  I suspect a warm lunch will go further against pizza/burritos/Thai food.  We shall see.

So this weekend turned out quite nicely.

Both Saturday and Sunday I ate about 2,000 calories, with minimal junk.  I only went to class Saturday, though.  Sunday I woke up and it was -1F and I was blocked in my driveway by two neighbors.  I figured the cold and the moving was too difficult for my brain to get me out, so I opted for reading my book, coffee, and an excellent breakfast instead.  On top of it all, I managed to clean a bunch of things up in my apartment (knocking two of my Adulting tasks off the list), plus did a whole bunch of batch cooking for this week.  AND I did finalized my section of the dojo website that I had been meaning to tackle for a couple days.  It was a nice, productive, relaxing weekend, which was very much needed. 

This week is going to be a bit busy, work-wise, but I honestly think it'll be pretty solid over all.  Planning on going to aikido Today, Tuesday x2, Thursday x2, and Saturday x2.  But again, I'm not terribly concerned with dojo numbers again, as long as I feel like I'm getting solid motions out of it.  Which I felt like I was getting on Saturday.  So my brain is clearing the cobwebs and things are somewhat sticking again, it seems.  Here's to hoping.

• Like 3