RisenPhoenix Starts to Burn in the New Year

RisenPhoenix

I just wanted to say I've been reading a book called Intuitive Eating and the posts you make around the forums about how biology work regarding the body and nutrients have been really helpful interpreting what the book is saying. Thanks for all you do to keep it sciencey up in here.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 1/8/2018 at 6:48 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I just wanted to say I've been reading a book called Intuitive Eating and the posts you make around the forums about how biology work regarding the body and nutrients have been really helpful interpreting what the book is saying. Thanks for all you do to keep it sciencey up in here.

I do my best!  It's been interesting, being able to semi-apply my (really rudimentary) biochemistry knowledge to things.  Really, it's me just repeatedly telling people that bodies really don't see if an item has been refined/processed, it just sees X and does what it wants to do to get things to glucose to make energy (most of the time).

--------

I did not make it to aikido last night.  I thought I'd be grumpier about it, but I'm actually fine.  We got a new Intern on Monday, and yesterday he was following me about in lab and I was training him on a bunch of things.  But I also had an impromptu brainstorming/panic session with Boss and coworker about how vital the experiment I'm developing is, and how there are issues with everything.  I think I know the reason for the current issue, but fixing it is a waiting game because it required re-ordering things from a vendor that take a week or two to produce.  I suspect everything will be okay, but to make my Boss' life a bit easier I stayed late to set up a proof-of-concept experiment that should show that stuff is fine.  That said, since I was showing things to the Intern, I didn't get to start the set up until he had left.  I could have made it to the 7PM class, but I was so exhausted mentally I would have been a puddle.  So I went home.

Ended up eating about 2000 calories yesterday, with really minimal junk.  It shows how much I've gorged since October that I'm eating these really low amounts, working out still, and mostly feel fine.  Yeesh.  Went to NP this morning for another circuit workout, and depending how I feel after working I'm thinking of hitting up aikido today.  Or I'll just go home and relax if the DOMS hits me hard.  Goal is to do a bunch of stretching and water today.  And maybe finally do all the ankle stuff I keep forgetting to do. >.> <.<

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

22 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well, sometimes, for better or for worse, self care means staying off the mats. It's a hard thing, but as long as you don't swing too far the other way as far as spending time off, it can be for the good. Hope you get to feeling better!

Welllll..... I didn't stay off them.  But for good reason.  Another senior student wanted me to go to the class, because an email had come in about someone wanting to watch a class.  And my friend wanted to make sure someone who spoke good English (look, I love Sensei, but his English is terrible) and wasn't Original Goober were there to talk to the guy.  So I went to class.  It was a bit of a mistake - I was exhausted and had to get off the mat at one point, just to get some salt and water into my system so I wouldn't pass out.  No bueno.

I'm currently filled with DOMS from yesterday in my shoulders and chest.  Means I should do more pushups in my life, I suspect.  I'm not sure if I'll do two classes tonight, like I expected.Which sucks, since my grading partner is teaching the second class and I missed his classes on Tuesday.  Ah well.  Self care or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Right, so last week was a thing.  It happened.

Ended up doing only one class on Thursday as well, and another single class on Saturday.  So only 4 classes this week.  Not a big deal.  My largest concern/thing to note is that if I want to do Iaido in the future, I need to be up, out the door, and at the dojo at 8:30 for class at 9am sharp on Saturday mornings.  It's honestly the largest hurdle I have to starting Iaido - not because it's early, but because Saturday is frequently the only day I get to truly rest and sleep in without worrying about rushing around.  I might be able to eventually train myself to make my sleep in day Sunday, but.... it's just tricky.  Habit building being all complicated by requiring you to do it or what not.

Also in a twist, I was pretty damn social this weekend.  So my calorie budget was blown waaaaaay over.  Saturday I went to my cousin's for a game night while some sportsball was on the TV in the background for those who wanted to see it.  She didn't expect me to show up, so she was surprised/confused/excited when I did.  I was only going to stay for a couple hours, and then didn't leave until after midnight.  >.> <.< . We played a game that was like Cards Against Humanity, but instead of the judge drawing a card that people had to answer, the judge drew and ACCENT that people had to use to read a phrase from their hand.  Personally, my favorite one I did was "Bless me Father, for I have sinned - but enough about me."  Spoken like Christian Bale's Batman.  That one won me that particular round.  That said, a whole bunch of delicious food was staring me in the face, which I definitely partook in.  It was great.

Sunday I did two hours of aikido, and then went to TinMan's place and we had our not-really-usually-scheduled Scary Videogame Night and dinner.  Hung out with him and his girlfriend for a couple hours, eating snacks and a really tasty coconut lime skillet chicken for dinner.  Oh, and finally beating Amnesia: Dark Descent.  Like, 9 months after we started playing it.  Whoops.  Kind of underwhelming and more of a relief to finish it.  Now we need to figure out the next game.  We are thinking not scary this time, possibly The Last Guardian.

Today I plan on doing a class of aikido, but I also feel like crap.  My throat is super sore and I can barely talk, so I may give it a rest a bit and see how I feel tomorrow morning.  Stupid sickness.  Hopefully I don't have to talk a bunch today at work....

• Like 1

Annnnnnd I didn't go to class tonight, because I just felt like crap.  And tonight isn't looking likely.  And tomorrow's NP is unlikely (which sucks, because we HAVE clear Stairs, and the weather will screw it up again next week).  My cough and throat is just really being annoying, and I should do the mature, responsible adult thing to recover.

That's dumb.

*grump*

• Like 2

On 1/20/2018 at 10:24 PM, Jigme said:

Oshit, you got the Plague, too?  Commiserating.

It was less a plague and more "Irritating cold."  More annoying than debilitating.  Just required me to STOP ALL MOVEMENT besides going to work.  Work, where everything seemed to be falling apart and not working.  Last week was not great.

Saturday I went to one aikido class, and then spent the rest of the day pretty much in a coma on my couch.  I also decided that I was going to say fuck it, and had a very, very solid cheat day.  No calorie logging, a bar of chocolate, some Halo Top, bag of grapes, a pair of bagels and cream cheese.... Yea, my cheat days are pretty tame, but it felt fantastic. and helped me unwind.  Sunday I slept a bunch and went to one class of aikido, but stayed an hour later watching people and trying a few things.  Nothing crazy.  But other goals for the challenge this week have been shite, so I just kept being a blob.  But a really relaxed blob.  It was nice.

Goals for this week - work on the ankle stuff at least twice.  Hit the dojo Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.  Potentially Friday (if one of my favorite instructors is teaching).  November Project Wednesday.  Keep with the solid food choices.

Weekend plans are that I wanted to do a seminar that's south of the city a bit.  More than a few people from my dojo want to go, and I thought it would be a nice way to start my new year.  Unfortunately, I need to also work this weekend.  So I need to figure out what I need to do to get my work done in time to get to the seminar.  Yippie.  But so far, it seems things look straight forward.  So hopefully it'll be easy enough. 

Back to the grind, now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

DUDE GRAPES ARE THE BEST

RIGHT?!  SO GOOD.

Also I'm a sucker for pineapple.

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

And, yeah, once you figure out how to cook healthfully for the flavors that you want, the incentive to cheat just goes out the window. It's a fun place. :)

Mostly true, but a lot of my cheat days I just am looking for a reason to NOT do the cooking.  Or at least have very minimal things.  Hence the bagels, which I was craving and loved every moment of.  Well worth the 'cheat' in my opinion.

Looking at my work stuff, looks like I'm definitely pulling hours this weekend and the following weekend.  Hopefully I can finagle it so that my hours are lighter on the Sunday after Company arrives for a long visit.  I'm also going to ask my Boss if she has an issue with me taking the following Friday either off or as a half day, assuming nothing will explode in the lab.  Seems pretty reasonable to ask for a day when multiple weekends are going to get eaten for a project, right?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Mostly true, but a lot of my cheat days I just am looking for a reason to NOT do the cooking. 

I am right there with you on this. With me it's not so much I want "unhealthy" food, I just want food I didn't have to put effort into other than an exchange of currency.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

27 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I am right there with you on this. With me it's not so much I want "unhealthy" food, I just want food I didn't have to put effort into other than an exchange of currency.

I have mastered the four-minute instant pot meal for just this reason. I have had a lot of those lately.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 1/22/2018 at 5:06 PM, sarakingdom said:

I have mastered the four-minute instant pot meal for just this reason. 

*Ahem*

xM7r5_s-200x150.gif

I seriously need to learn more actual recipes for my IP besides "Toss chuck roast/chicken/pork in with seasonings."  I mean, yea, tasty.  But still need a bit more variety...

Two aikido classes last night, where my energy level was starting to pitter out by the middle of the first class.  I grabbed a bunch of pretzels before the second class and that helped a bit.  Ended the day at ~2600 calories.  Probably a bit more than I should have had, even with two hours on the mat.  But last night I was craving something after dinner, so I nabbed a noosa strawberry rhubarb yogurt.  Worth it.  Classes were good, in general, even with lagging energy.  Except I'm solidly in a "Everything I do is wrong" phase of learning - nothing feels quite right when I'm moving.  The things that seemingly work I feel like I'm muscling.  And I don't have enough people who I can go hard on that I can test things easily.  (Well, I have one person I could probably do things with, but they are so ridiculously bendy and have slightly atypical ukemi that I would learn how to just do the technique on THEM, and accidentally break everyone else.)  I'm sure I'll settle into something decent soon-ish.  I just am hyper critical of everything.  Also annoying is the fact that I see and understand a good chunk of theory behind things, and my body is just a ball of "Newp."  I can see it.  I can feel it.  Doing is....evasive.  Ah well.  This is why it's call Practice.

This morning I did NP - something like 39 sections this morning accomplished before they called time.  The goal was 50, but since I haven't done Stairs since early December, I'm okay with nearly 40.  Plus I've been eating at a deficit, so it's not like I'm super fueled, anyway.

Thankfully, work today is mostly a sit-at-the-desk type day.  Once I get fully started I'm going to hopefully accomplish a whole bunch of paperwork that I've been slacking on.  Huzzah, being able to sit after a leg workout!

• Like 1

If some IP recipes ended up in the recipe thread, I wouldn't mind. I'mma need to find ways to eat conveniently on the quick since training always goes late and I don't want to have to rely on eating out on top of paying rent.

Anyway:

1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Classes were good, in general, even with lagging energy.  Except I'm solidly in a "Everything I do is wrong" phase of learning - nothing feels quite right when I'm moving.  The things that seemingly work I feel like I'm muscling.  And I don't have enough people who I can go hard on that I can test things easily.  (Well, I have one person I could probably do things with, but they are so ridiculously bendy and have slightly atypical ukemi that I would learn how to just do the technique on THEM, and accidentally break everyone else.)  I'm sure I'll settle into something decent soon-ish.  I just am hyper critical of everything.  Also annoying is the fact that I see and understand a good chunk of theory behind things, and my body is just a ball of "Newp."  I can see it.  I can feel it.  Doing is....evasive.  Ah well.  This is why it's call Practice.

Yup. This happens. Sometimes you just gotta put in some bad reps. You'll get through 'em.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Two aikido classes last night, where my energy level was starting to pitter out by the middle of the first class.  I grabbed a bunch of pretzels before the second class and that helped a bit.  Ended the day at ~2600 calories.  Probably a bit more than I should have had, even with two hours on the mat.  But last night I was craving something after dinner, so I nabbed a noosa strawberry rhubarb yogurt.  Worth it.  Classes were good, in general, even with lagging energy.  Except I'm solidly in a "Everything I do is wrong" phase of learning - nothing feels quite right when I'm moving.  The things that seemingly work I feel like I'm muscling.  And I don't have enough people who I can go hard on that I can test things easily.  (Well, I have one person I could probably do things with, but they are so ridiculously bendy and have slightly atypical ukemi that I would learn how to just do the technique on THEM, and accidentally break everyone else.)  I'm sure I'll settle into something decent soon-ish.  I just am hyper critical of everything.  Also annoying is the fact that I see and understand a good chunk of theory behind things, and my body is just a ball of "Newp."  I can see it.  I can feel it.  Doing is....evasive.  Ah well.  This is why it's call Practice.

I suspect you're at a phase in your development where you are beginning to really know what you don't know. You are advanced enough to see excellence in your grasp, and because you are down on yourself you don't see it yet. Every once in a while instead of looking ahead to where you want to be, look back to where you were. The same RP will look totally different depending on your perspective. You have learned enough to see how much more there is to learn, and that makes you feel like a newb. This is good for humility and teachability, but bad for self esteem and hopefulness that learning more is possible. If you look back to see how far you've come, you might be able to see how much you really have grown and developed.  This is good for self esteem and hopefulness that learning more is possible, but potentially bad for humility and teachability. 

My point is both looking behind and ahead have benefits. The trick is to learn to balance them so that you can be hopeful and humble at the same time, probably achieved by a balance of looking in both directions.

Current Challenge

2 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

*Ahem*

xM7r5_s-200x150.gif

I seriously need to learn more actual recipes for my IP besides "Toss chuck roast/chicken/pork in with seasonings."  I mean, yea, tasty.  But still need a bit more variety...

It can do awesome stews in about twenty minutes. Chili, Spanish-inspired chicken stew (smoked paprika, olives, oregano, onions, diced tomatoes), etc. 

But as for four minute meals, these things cook in four minutes in the instant pot:

• Chopped meat (under an inch, maybe closer to half an inch thick)
  • Raw vegetables (I don't know about really dense starchy ones, but cubed/sliced/chunked carrots work fine on the denser end)
  • Frozen vegetables
  • Eggs

Eggs are mostly good for crustless quiches/egg casseroles in a pan of some sort on the steamer tray. I wouldn't put raw meat in them, though I have put some bacon on top, which works. But eggs and cheese and veg works well in four minutes. Because quiches are thick, I'd be conservative about the cooking time of what I stick in it. Honestly, I find these a little bland in the instant pot, so if I do it, I have a sauce. Egg dishes are better with dry heat and frying. But we're talking fast dinner, not fine dining, so I do do it sometimes, if that's what's in the fridge. But for a single serving, I'd probably dump it all in a frying pan for ten minutes, given the choice. There's no big win over omelets, time-wise, IMO, and it's not close flavor-wise. Just saying it can be done. (Large casseroles with multiple servings are definitely faster, they take ages in the oven.)

Otherwise, sort of damp "stirfries" will cook in four minutes, and these are time and effort wins (and sometimes flavor, depending on the ingredients). Chicken, mushrooms, cabbage, ginger, Sriracha, and soy sauce (and, shhhh, don't tell I broke the rules, but I've found that this doesn't need added water to come to pressure; the veg and meat release enough, though YMMV). Italian sausage, frozen broccoli, and tomato sauce. Bacon and random vegetables. Ground beef and chili powder and stuff. Random meat and veg, soy sauce, orange peel, hot pepper flakes, garlic, and some sugar, for spicy orange beef/pork/chicken. Italian sausage and kale stew with onions, diced tomatoes, maybe some canned beans - legit recipe, comes out great cooked this fast in the instant pot. If you're feeling super fancy, turn the saute on while you're putting things in, and give them a fast saute in the time it takes to get other things out of the fridge.

Additional trick: cheese sauce is made by cooking things in water, and when they're done, add a chunk of cream cheese (which dilutes in the hot water) and shredded cheddar, and stir till smooth. I like some mustard and pepper in mine. So frozen cauliflower goes in for four minutes, and then you have cauliflower and cheese.

Additional trick if you eat pasta: pasta cooks in the pot in about half the time listed on the box, about four-five minutes. And if cooked in about as much water as pasta, absorbs the water with not much left over, so it can be cooked in its own sauce with no need to drain. Say a cup of pasta, half a cup of water, a generous amount of sauce (adds some water; add more like a cup of water if you're using the cheese sauce for Mac and cheese), whatever veg and ground meat you want in your pasta, and when the time is up, it's done.

They're not fancy meals. The meat doesn't brown much, if at all, the veggies are not crunchy, and it's always a little wetter than I'd prefer - you could probably thicken with cornstarch at some point, but I'm too lazy. (Stuff with tomato is about the same no matter how you make it, and always tastes like you spent ages when pressure-cooked; that's the stuff I would serve other people first.) But I can't argue with dinner in under ten minutes, totally hands-off and kept warm while I walk away and do something else, and no worse than any other half-assed weeknight meal I might spend half an hour standing over the stove to cook. It's basically dump in ingredients and press a button, put a few things away in another room, come back to dinner. Usually with leftovers for lunch the next day.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

@sarakingdom Thank you!!  I need to try those at some point.  Quick dinners are something I lack diversity on.  Though doing Brinner is a pretty quick thing that I'll do in a pinch.

So, uh, yesterday was a clusterfuck.  My anxiety was spiked by like half a dozen different things just screwing up pretty much all at the same time, all of which were high priority things that Can't Screw Up.  Normally it would have been okay, but two night of insomnia also screwed with my brain.  So my eating habits yesterday were pretty much all over the place and the messiest thing ever.  Anything that looked halfway decent ended up in my face.  I was so bad I left work at 4:30 and skipped going to the dojo, because my brain and body couldn't handle anything.  The only plus side was that when it came time for dinner, I had a solid meal: sweet potato with butter, BBQ chicken made with my IP, and some steamed green beans.  I then popped some popcorn, watched a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop (which I haven't ever seen - I'm a bad Nerd), and then went to bed at 8:30pm.  I slept until my alarm went off at 6:30, and would have slept later if I hadn't set it.

The end result is I'm feeling pretty damn great today.  So I guess it's a win.

Goal is to eat well today and most of tomorrow.  I'm working several hours tomorrow, and hopefully I can make a seminar that's from 1-5ish with an instructor I've heard really great things about.  Then the FOLLOWING week work is insane, and then Company arrives the 3rd for an extended stay.  So I'm kind of in a crazy hectic plan right now.  >.> <.<

I think sleep and self care are major priorities the next two weeks.

• Like 4

Tiny update. 

Went to a seminar this afternoon, the first I’ve ever been to that’s not related to my dojo or Harvard. Still in the Boston area, still out of a Kanai offshoot dojo. Just one I’ve never been to. 

It was absolutely packed. Probably 40 people on the mat in a space not much larger than my dojo. It meant we couldn’t do much heavy throws, but with groups we could do some. Lots of similar-but-different things. 

I’ll be playing with the things for quite a while. Hopefully something sticks. 

• Like 2

I'm not dead.  I'm just mostly dead.

Work is kind of insane.  I have a huge experiment to do on my plate ($40 grand worth of an experiment on my shoulders), plus my regular assignments, plus covering for my coworker who is taking a vacation (which is good - she works too hard and needs a real vacation), PLUS managing the intern who isn't actually my intern but is slowly becoming MY intern.  Oh, and the 40k experiment requires I'm in all weekend.  And Company arrives late Saturday night.

So.  Food has been spotty, aikido minimal since the seminar, and everything other than self-care is kind of out of the window.  The bonus to all of this is that things are going as smoothly as science and first-time protocol attempts allow, and my regular assignments are wrapping up well.  I'm also pleased that Company did her licensing exam yesterday - the one that officially lets her claim she is a Registered Nurse.  I hadn't realized how stressed that was making me, so getting that out of the way - even though I wasn't the one doing it - was a shockingly large relief.  Especially since she thinks she passed (after taking many practice exams that she claimed she did not do well on).  So that is making things turn out okay.

That said, very much looking forward to the end of next week, when I have a couple days off.  It'll be great.

• Like 3

giphy.gif

Glad to hear that you got out to a seminar and had a good time. You are at the level where getting to train with a wider range of bodies and different senior people will help a lot. It will also keep you humble. Not to say that is something you need, just that as you move up in your own dojo it is easy to feel like you finally know what you are doing. Going to seminars exposes you to the broad world of things you haven't learned yet. Plus you get to train with cool people.

Congratulations to Company on passing her certification!

Clearly your boss has confidence in you. :D  Too bad that it means working over the weekend. Will they give you comp time next week to make up for that?

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log