• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Baxtan

Don't call it a comeback...?

Hello all, 

My name is Dennis and I'm a 34 year old Correctional Officer from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada.  

I dabbled in some Nerd Fitness Challenges in the past, I want to say almost a year ago but it seemed like nothing ever "took" and I continually fell off the wagon after working out consistently for like a week or so at most.  That has been my story for the past four years roughly. 

In 2013/2014 I went through a weight loss journey.  I went from my heaviest at 242lbs and 5'9" all the way down to my lowest at 189lbs in a matter of 6-7 months and held there for a year or so and then totally fell off the wagon and began eating whatever I wanted and totally cut out training.  I am now, as of this morning, right around 232lbs (after losing 10lbs from being sick) and am looking to get back to where I was and actually hold and improve this time.  

So I guess my main goal is...

Main Goal:

Lose 40lbs - This will put me back to around 190lbs and alleviate a lot of ailments that I feel now that I didn't when I was more active.  Lower back pain, over stiffness, feeling of lethargy, lack of confidence, etc. 

Smaller, SMART Goals: 

1) Food Prep/Choices - Where I work 5 days a week, let's just say the meals are not the healthiest.  One thing that I was very consistent with when I initially lost a bunch of weight was I prepped.  I was almost religious about eating a Paleo'ish diet at about a 85-90% consistency.  I'd like to get back to this as I have tried many ways of eating and this is what my body seems to respond the best to.

2) Working Out - I have to get more consistent with this.  I have hired a Remote Coach as I have a full gym set up in my garage, (no gyms locally), but the last month or so I have not been doing the workouts with that great of consistency.  I find that if I have a bad day at work, or ANYTHING goes wrong in the day that I just "give up" and use it as an excuse not to be able to workout that day.  I have to get mentally tougher somehow and hit my workouts with consistency, putting in the work is the only way I am going to see results.  

In closing I hope that I can get some good advice, and encouragement here, especially when it comes to being mentally tough and being able to get in work outs even when the rest of your day my not be ideal.  Other's can do it, I did it at one point, which means I can do it again.  

Thanks for reading all, hope to hear from ya!

Dennis

• Like 6

Congratulations neighbour! I am from Indian Head, Saskatchewan! Just down the road from you.

It sounds like your goals might be similar to the ones that you had success with previously. So, you know what you need to do. 

I can relate to the "inconsistency" issue. Although I have not set my challenge yet, it will focus on that aspect as well. If, at all possible, try to focus on the bare minimum that you need to do to maintain consistency. What gym activity do you enjoy? I suck at push ups. So, instead of saying I'm going to do 20 each day, I might say I'm going to do 1 a day. Ya, I know. That's meek. BUT! I know that I WON'T be able to continue doing 20 per day past day...1?! And you know what? Once I am down on the floor doing my 1 push up, well hell, I may as well do a couple more while I'm down here.

With regards to the food aspect of your challenge, planning, prepping, and packaging is key. Later in the week, after looking through the fridge and some recipes, a grocery list is made. Shopping is done with the list. Sunday is prep and package day: make a soup and portion it out in containers for the week; nuts weighed and put in containers for snacks; etc. You know that food is super important in achieving your goals, so, make sure you FIX THE FOOD 1ST.

Now, get moving. "Something is better than nothing. More is better. Everything counts." However, if you are going outside, bundle up! -43 degrees Celcius here today!

Sincerely,

Scar

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Laghail said:

Hey welcome back Dennis. What're you doing for a workout program?

I have a Remote Coach doing my programming, it's mostly forcused on Weightlifting and some conditioning WODs. 

18 hours ago, Sherry Warrior Princess said:

Now, get moving. "Something is better than nothing. More is better. Everything counts." However, if you are going outside, bundle up! -43 degrees Celcius here today!

It is ridiculously cold around here right now, although the cold snap is supposed to let up soon.  Nice to see someone close by and local on here, keep in touch!  We can even be accountabilibuddies lmao.  

As far as the planning and prepping are concerned, last time I did this I basically just made simple meals... meaning chicken and mixed veggies, or any kind of meat really and mixed veggies, threw that in my work bag with a protein shake, some almonds, a piece of fruit and I was good to go.  However I have been toying with the idea of getting a slow cooker and making like Paleo friendly soups or chili's... would be good for this time of year and I'm thinking it's also good to add in some variety haha. 

17 hours ago, deftona said:

Hi Dennis! Now I totally have this song stuck in my head...

tumblr_inline_ok3xi0bL261ri344e_400.gif

Following! :D 

Haha, thanks for the follow!  Tbh I didnt even think that much about the song, the line just popped into my head while I was writing the initial post. :P

• Like 3

Great goals! I agree with Sherry Warrior Princess, aim low to achieve more. I struggled to haul myself outside for a morning run every day, but then I started telling myself that I only had to run one lap . . . and then gradually built up from there. I finally found a modest "magic minimum" 15-20 min run that boosts my energy level for the entire day, but isn't so mentally daunting that I'd find excuses not to do it. Besides, once I've gotten warmed up, it's much easier to keep going past that minimum standard! 

You've got this!! 

• Like 2

Well this past week hasn't been to productive, visits from friends and family and a bunch of baked goodies and Xmas food that I do not need led to me being quite lethargic.  Thankfully this challenge does not start until tomorrow, LMAO!

Going to Star Wars tonight, soooooooooooooo pumped!  The wife and I had tickets a few weeks ago but I fell really ill and just couldn't make it, so tonight is the night!  Then have to rush home and go straight to bed as I work early tomorrow morning haha. 

On 12/29/2017 at 1:21 PM, karinajean said:

hey welcome!  looks like you know what to do. as far as accountability / actually doing the things, what's your plan? posting here? anything else?

Posting here, my remote coach is usually on my ass for things... I may ask him to be on me even more in the New Year, gotta get going and get a reliable routine to set in.  After that the training isn't any easier but starting training becomes easier every day... at least that was my experience in the past. 

On 12/30/2017 at 6:42 AM, Perqui said:

Great goals! I agree with Sherry Warrior Princess, aim low to achieve more. I struggled to haul myself outside for a morning run every day, but then I started telling myself that I only had to run one lap . . . and then gradually built up from there. I finally found a modest "magic minimum" 15-20 min run that boosts my energy level for the entire day, but isn't so mentally daunting that I'd find excuses not to do it. Besides, once I've gotten warmed up, it's much easier to keep going past that minimum standard! 

You've got this!! 

Thanks Perqui!  I like what you said about "boosts my energy level for the entire day".  THAT has always been my experience with exercise.  It's instantly puts me in a better mood, I feel physically better, there are so many positives to it... just gotta put my head down and get to it!

20 hours ago, RES said:

Following as well...Posted this in my own challenge thread before, seems to fit here as well

11aa8de26e3e022ce3acd623a363874b.jpg

Soooooooo much truth to this!  Thanks for leaving this here as a reminder. 

• Like 2

G'day Dennis. I'm sorta where you are now, weight has sneaked back up from free-eating and now got a bit of back ache etc. Difference is I work out regularly and unfailingly. the success of that is down to two factors, I train with a coach one on one so I have to turn up and secondly i train first thing in the day before I do anything else. 

What time do you start work? If you can train in your home gym before you go to work and while you have the most energy that might take away the choice and remove the need for willpower to get you in there.

I have 37lbs (17kg) that I want to drop and I'm 43 y.old so you have youth on your side! Wanna PvP me for the first 7kg? Loser has to post a poem about how amazing the other person is!

I also do crossfit style workouts and will be prepping over the next 6 weeks to take part in the Crossfit Open. Are you planning on joining in for that?

• Like 2

Well workout one is in the books.  I definitely did not want to work out today.  Looking at the work out that my coach gave me, the ONLY thing I really wanted to do was Deadlifts and in actuality I got home from my 7-3 shift and was ready to pack it in for the night.  Then... dun dun dun... my coach texted me and asked if I had worked out today, well that led to some embarrassment which lead to me getting my ass into the garage and hitting it up, so here it is.  Workout 1/3 for the week. 

A) Double overhand no hook grip Deadlift, work to a tough set of 3. 

135#, 185#, 205#, 235#, 265#

**Really happy with this for a triple, no hook grip, especially since it has been like over a year or more since I have consistently trained!**

B)2 Power Clean + 2 Front Squat + 2 Split Jerk, complete 5 sets.

95#, 105#, 110#, 115#, 120#

C) EMOM x20 minutes (every minute on the minute, which means you follow the progression below, 1st min, 2nd min, and so on for 20 mins)

1st - 5 kipping leg raises

2nd - 20-30 sec top of ring dip hold

3rd - 5-7 DB Floor Press @ 40x0

4th - 5-7 tough ring rows @ 40x0

**Could only get around 10-15 sec per ring dip hold, and used 30# for floor press**

Overall I feel pretty good with what I accomplished this workout and feel better than I did prior to the workout, at least more productive anyways.  Starting 2018 off with a bang! Woot woot! 

mission-accomplished.jpg

• Like 4

Nice job getting it done, perfect txt timing! Your coach's programming looks like he knows what he's doing too. 265 DL is a decent lift, well done. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 1:22 AM, Endor said:

G'day Dennis. I'm sorta where you are now, weight has sneaked back up from free-eating and now got a bit of back ache etc. Difference is I work out regularly and unfailingly. the success of that is down to two factors, I train with a coach one on one so I have to turn up and secondly i train first thing in the day before I do anything else. 

What time do you start work? If you can train in your home gym before you go to work and while you have the most energy that might take away the choice and remove the need for willpower to get you in there.

I have 37lbs (17kg) that I want to drop and I'm 43 y.old so you have youth on your side! Wanna PvP me for the first 7kg? Loser has to post a poem about how amazing the other person is!

I also do crossfit style workouts and will be prepping over the next 6 weeks to take part in the Crossfit Open. Are you planning on joining in for that?

Sorry for the late response.  My schedule rotates every other week, so one week I work Mon-Fri 7-3, and then the next week Mon-Fri 3-11.  Can't get workouts in before 7-3, but I really don't mind working out in the afternoon.  

I am definitely down for a PvP battle for the first 7kg!  How do you wanna work this?  Each post a pic of a scale weigh in Friday morning and go from there?  I like the idea of the poem hah!  Also were bound by honor here, no photoshopping that scale number lmao!

Not sure about the Open, will have to update that in the future.  Keeping same coach but my style of training may be training up here a bit, will still be doing Metcon's/WODs for conditioning but I might be going over to a more Powerlifting focus instead of Olympic Weightlifting. 

12 hours ago, Sherry Warrior Princess said:

Nicely done!! One down!!

Did you hire a Nerd Fitness coach?

No Nerd Fitness coach, I have a local friend who owns his own strength and conditioning gym who does my programming. 

And thanks for the encouragement all!!!

2 minutes ago, Baxtan said:

I am definitely down for a PvP battle for the first 7kg!  How do you wanna work this?  Each post a pic of a scale weigh in Friday morning and go from there?  I like the idea of the poem hah!  Also were bound by honor here, no photoshopping that scale number lmao!

Anytime on Monday would suit, I'm actually in a comp with a guy at work too so I'm doubling down! We do a scale pic on Mondays, but I can do Friday too if you prefer that.

Yes honor system, I've been around for a while and I post weigh-ins in my weekly challenge updates too so fear not they'll be accurate ;) (although in kg's). Also my Photoshop skillz are weak unfortunately!

Got some wild swings in your shift hours there, I guess the good thing is you can workout in the afternoon whichever shift so you have a consistent-ish routine.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Endor said:

Anytime on Monday would suit, I'm actually in a comp with a guy at work too so I'm doubling down! We do a scale pic on Mondays, but I can do Friday too if you prefer that.

Yes honor system, I've been around for a while and I post weigh-ins in my weekly challenge updates too so fear not they'll be accurate ;) (although in kg's). Also my Photoshop skillz are weak unfortunately!

Got some wild swings in your shift hours there, I guess the good thing is you can workout in the afternoon whichever shift so you have a consistent-ish routine.

Mondays are fine with me, start this Monday... the 8th?

• Like 2

Mondays are fine with me, start this Monday... the 8th?
Yep sounds good. You just made it harder for me though, I'm already losing weight this week! (I hope...!)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just hoping to give you some encouragement! Remember to take everything a day at a time.

"The most important step a man can take is not the first step, but the next step." - Brandon Sanderson Oathbringer

• Like 3

Well some updates here. 

Firstly I had a good meeting with my coach to figure out where I really want to go, what my goals are and just what I want to accomplish.  Having said all that, I quickly identified that for the past year of trying to start a fitness regemine and failing, I was setting goals based on what others were doing and me thinking that it "looked cool".  I can now say from experience that this is a recipe for disaster.  Here... Ill give you all an example.  I have often seem some of my friends around me accomplishing great things in either A - Weightlifting or B - Crossfit and thought, "thats sweet, I should do that" without really thinking to myself is that something I am actually interested and have a deep desire to do.  If I would have asked myself that question, the answer would've been a resounding no.  

So having discovered that I did some soul searching and tried to figure out what really drove me before and what is driving me now.  The answer, Powerlifting.  I have a deep desire to be "that guy" Deadlifting with no more room on his bar for more weights, I want to up my totals in all the "BIG" lifts.  That's what drives me and always has, so that's what my coach and I are going to be focusing on starting Monday.  WOOT WOOT!

As for training, got a training session in last night and it looked like this...

A- Back Squat @ 40x0, 4-5 reps x 5 sets, 2-3 min b/t sets

135#/155#/185#/205#/210#

B- 5 sets @ high effort / 85-90%

20 cal rowing

10 burpees - no jump @ top

2 min b/t sets

**Completed this, rowing took me anywhere between 1:17-1:30ish**

C- 10 min @ EZ Pace (can hold a conversation during)

75 single unders

10 jumping switch lunges

1/arm Turkish Get Up @ 35#

So there it is, another productive day... and I am REALLY looking forward to what this new programming brings this upcoming week.  

• Like 3

Glad to hear you have rediscovered your passion for power lifting. The warriors do virtual meets  a couple times a year an dthere are some online leaderboards if you think either of those things might help motivate you. 

I really like the programming I've seen so far, seems like you have found a good coach. I'm sure he will put together some good powerlifting workouts for you too. 

210lb squat is a good lift and I'm sure you have bigger things to come :encouragement: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Endor said:

Glad to hear you have rediscovered your passion for power lifting. The warriors do virtual meets  a couple times a year an dthere are some online leaderboards if you think either of those things might help motivate you. 

I really like the programming I've seen so far, seems like you have found a good coach. I'm sure he will put together some good powerlifting workouts for you too. 

210lb squat is a good lift and I'm sure you have bigger things to come :encouragement: 

Thanks for the kind words!  And yeah I just looked at some of my upcoming workouts for the week and I'm a bit pumped haha.  Its definitely a nice change as you'll see in the coming week as I post them when I complete them.  

Also, ready to go Monday my friend? :) 

resized_winter-is-coming-meme-generator-weight-loss-is-coming-bring-it-on-ae4d7e.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Baxtan said:

I'm a bit pumped haha

Not as pumped as you will look afterwards :P 

3 hours ago, Baxtan said:

Also, ready to go Monday my friend?

clog.quarters1.schiffer.gif?resize=702,3

• Like 1
  • Haha 1