• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

genken33

"ken" gen do it?? let's find out!

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker here. I am currently a student studying in California. I weigh in at around 175 lbs and am 5'5". In the past, I've been really into kickboxing. As of late, however, I've returned to my third-grade roots by taking gymnastics classes! I'm super excited about that. I also have taken up geocaching, which I highly recommend for anyone looking for a new hobby.

I've recently gotten into weightlifting (with the encouragement of my wrestler SO.) For cardio...I always think I'd like to be a runner, but the instant my feet hit the pavement, I change my mind. :lol: I am a total elliptical queen though - it's a great time to catch up on my Netflix shows! Plus, when the weather is nice, I can be coaxed out for a hike or roller-skating adventure.

I think my biggest pitfalls may be eating. If abs are made in the kitchen, that explains why I don't have any. I will have to be more mindful of what I'm eating - bit of a snackoholic over here - and hold myself accountable.

"Big Picture" goal: lose 20 lbs by the end of May (my birthday is the 24th). Obviously, it would be great if it happened more quickly, but as I am just getting into fitness and want to keep it off, I think this will be a good timeframe.

S.M.A.R.T goals:

1. Cardio 3x week - I may update this to 4x later depending on how this challenge goes, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew right off the bat. This will be in the form of elliptical, roller-skating, hiking, or whatever comes my way. Maybe one day I will pick up running - I keep hearing about that Zombie Run app, and I'd like to give that a try.
  2. Track everything I eat - this will keep me accountable. No matter how embarrassing the binge, I need to pay attention to how I eat. 

Level Up Your Life goal: Journal 1-2x a week. I love journaling, but I never do it - just dump a ton of information once a month! I'd like to journal more regularly, so I'll keep the bar low and ease into it.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, genken33 said:

I always think I'd like to be a runner, but the instant my feet hit the pavement, I change my mind. :lol:

I'm with you on that one! And good luck with your challenge :)

• Like 1

hi and welcome! it sounds like you have a few things that you're doing actively - how often are your gymnastics classes? and if you do want to start running, zombies run is something that people LOVE. I get too scared, personally (I have a super vivid imagination) but the staid tried and true couch to 5K program has never let me down!

• Like 2

On 12/29/2017 at 11:05 AM, karinajean said:

hi and welcome! it sounds like you have a few things that you're doing actively - how often are your gymnastics classes? and if you do want to start running, zombies run is something that people LOVE. I get too scared, personally (I have a super vivid imagination) but the staid tried and true couch to 5K program has never let me down!

thank you!! gymnastics is closed for the first week of january, but after that it's one 1-hr class a week, plus a 4-hr "open gym" session on Saturdays. :) I think I might give zombies run a try; I always get so bored and in my head while running, and maybe hearing zombies behind me will give me the kick i need to go the distance!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 3:41 PM, genken33 said:

I always think I'd like to be a runner, but the instant my feet hit the pavement, I change my mind. :lol: I am a total elliptical queen though

Elliptical isn't a bad thing!! Lot's of people aren't runners (myself included :lol: )

• Like 1

Hi everyone! Happy new year!! I'm writing to you over a plate of nice Vons roasted chicken and some not-quite-ripe pineapple.

I'm not sure how often I should update, but I'll aim for 1-3 times a week. Let's dive in.

Breakfast: eggs, bacon, & fruit (some banana, blueberries, & cuties) ≈ 480 cals

Lunch: Cuties, asparagus, salmon ≈ 243 cals

Dinner: Cuties, pineapple, roast chicken, baked yam for dessert ≈ 557 cals

Snack: Banana, baby carrots ≈ 131 cals

Total: 1412 cals

Wow! So, looking at this, I guess I'm a big fan of cuties. They are delicious! Maybe, though, where I snack on them, I can incorporate more veggies in.

As for cardio, it's my second day in a row of Zombie Run! I'm digging it so far, and it's a great way to spice up an otherwise boring run. We'll see if the excitement wears off, though. Plus, tomorrow SO & I are going rock climbing for "date day" & the gym opens again, so I can start going for the rest of the week.

Until the next update!

• Like 2

Hey Gen,

How's your challenge gone so far?  I'm new to NF too, lurking for a little bit on NF site but fully new to the forums.  My understanding is we can update our own Challenge threads as much or as little as we like...but I'm guessing more often is better to keep up motivation and momentum?

Hope it's gone well so far :adoration:

~ Barbs

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 7:46 AM, Barbs said:

but I'm guessing more often is better to keep up motivation and momentum?

exactly :D