• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteBeltBrowncoat

WhitebeltBrowncoat Reboots for the New Year

Hello all! I've been away from here for a while, but need to get back on track. I figured that you folk could probably help me with that. I started my first challenges with the Monks, but life has conspired against my martial arts practice (turns out that two hours of commute after work with a six year old doesn't work well). So one day I will return to Kajukenbo, but it's not in the cards right now. On the bright side, for Christmas I got a shiny new kettle bell, pull up bar, and gymnastic rings. Here's looking forward to some positive life changes in the new year. 

Big picture target: lose 60 pounds 
Right now I'm tipping the scales at 245. Not the heaviest I've ever been, but getting close. My goal weight is 185. Here is how I'm planning on doing this...

Simple and sinister: let's use that shiny new kettlebell three times a week 

And since you can't outrun your fork: Intermittent Fasting 5 days a week. In October I had experimented with skipping breakfast and eating between 1pm and ~11pm (so it's not quite 16:8) and found myself doing well with it. I'm going to reimplement this during the weekdays and not worry about the weekends (we usually eat late morning on the weekends anyways).

Miscellaneous Life Goals:
Get better at brushing and flossing. Brush twice a day, floss once a day. I've been avoiding going to the dentist because I know I will get scolded for not brushing and flossing as well as I should. 

Declutter the house:
We have too much crap around the house. So let's work on reducing this by finally selling my hockey gear. I haven't played in over 10 years, so it is time. If anyone needs a set of goalie pads on the cheap... 

Thanks for having me here. I'm looking forward to a fresh start in a New Year.

TLDR:
GOAL: Lose 60 pounds
STEPS:
*Simple and Sinister 3x per week
*IF 5 days a week
*Brush 2x and Floss 1x per day
*Sell Hockey Pads

• Like 4

I did my first S&S workout this morning. I'm definitely weaker with my left hand when doing getups. I'm sure it will just take some time to get that side up to speed. I think I need to watch some more videos on swing form as well. I felt tight and stiff the whole way through. I feel like it is probably supposed to be more relaxed on the way up and then tight as you throw the kettlebell downwards.

I'm stoked about this though. I want to do more even though I trained this morning.

As far as IF, first meal of the day was around 2 and had dinner around 7 and I am full. Definitely overate so I will have to see about dialing that back.

• Like 1

Welcome to the dark side! :D *hands you punch and cookies* The Assassins guild is a great place to visit... although sometimes it's hard to leave. ;):lol:

It's too bad that you had to let the Kajukenbo training. :(  Is there any way you can keep practicing some of the movements on your own?

(And as for dentists, I think everyone fails when it comes to taking as good a care of their teeth as they'd like us to! ;) I figure each cleaning is a good respawn point, because you start with a nice clean set of chompers and the dentists pretty much expect us to fail so they aren't too judgemental. At least mine aren't! :lol:)

Hey folks, thanks for the warm welcome. So far things are going well. I did three days in a row of simple and sinister, which in retrospect was probably too much and I should have spaced it out some. I think I'm going to try to do S&S on M, W, F, and stretch on the other days.

I like eating my first meal after 12 on the weekdays. It has been helping me concentrate on what and why I'm eating (usually because of boredom).

Brushing has been a success so far. Definitely less bleeding after flossing. I really like the idea of the dentist visit being a reset point. That feels like a much healthier point of view than what I had before.

For organizing the house and decluttering, the Browncoat family went to Ikea and got an absurd amount of Swedish engineering in the hopes of not stepping on any more Legos.

In general things are good well so far. Hopefully this will give me the chance to get the habits in place before things get tough. Thanks for all the feedback and help!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, WhiteBeltBrowncoat said:

I did three days in a row of simple and sinister, which in retrospect was probably too much and I should have spaced it out some. I think I'm going to try to do S&S on M, W, F, and stretch on the other days.

How do you feel though? Simple & Sinister was actually designed to be performed every day, with an occasional day off. No overthinking, just self-awareness; punch the clock day-in day-out, and if you’re sucking take enough of a breather to be able to get back to it. The goal is for your body to eventually treat the Swings and Getups like they’re not a big deal.

How do you feel though? Simple & Sinister was actually designed to be performed every day, with an occasional day off. No overthinking, just self-awareness; punch the clock day-in day-out, and if you’re sucking take enough of a breather to be able to get back to it. The goal is for your body to eventually treat the Swings and Getups like they’re not a big deal.
I really like that I am not totally wiped out at the end of it. Felt like I had more energy than I started with. I was noticing some pain in my elbow and knees and figured it would be better to let those heal back up.

Do you think it would be better to reduce reps but practice everyday? Something like 3 or 4 sets of 10 swings and 6 or 8 getups and slowly increase until I can manage the full 100/10.
  • Like 2

Yeah, brand new. Just got my first kettlebell for Christmas. I was doing 5 sets of 10 swings (is that abbreviated as 10x5 or 5x10, I'm not sure) and 10 get ups. Read through the book, and watched the strongfirst videos on what the exercises should look like.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WhiteBeltBrowncoat said:

I really like that I am not totally wiped out at the end of it. Felt like I had more energy than I started with. I was noticing some pain in my elbow and knees and figured it would be better to let those heal back up.

Do you think it would be better to reduce reps but practice everyday? Something like 3 or 4 sets of 10 swings and 6 or 8 getups and slowly increase until I can manage the full 100/10.

giphy.gif

Good call.

How heavy is your kettlebell? Yeah, more frequent practice I think would be better. Slow, unweighted shoe Getups, or water bottle Getups are also underrated.

Any chance you've seen this StrongFirst post?

First update for the new year, hooray! I feel like I've been making some good progress. We assembled all of the Ikea furniture for the MiniBrowncoat's room and now need to strap it to the walls, but it is looking super promising. The house is totally a wreck right now, but we can see through it to what it will be once it is all done and that is super exciting! I'm on a 6-day brushing/flossing streak, plus I finally called the dentist and made an appointment to get scolded get a cleaning/checkup (Thanks @UnquietBones!).

For training, I did a modified Simple and Sinister this morning where I cut back one set of swings, did 4 TGUs with the 16kg kettlebell, and then did the last 6 bodyweight only. I noticed that the elbow twinge was happening when transitioning going up from my elbow to hand. I'm going to have to reread that section of the book and rewatch some videos and combine that with some unweighted/waterbottle getups (Thanks @Machete) to really try and dial in the technique so I don't hurt myself. A happy discovery was that I could work the basic movements from Kajukenbo into the fast and loose exercises in between swings. I haven't used that knowledge in a while and was nice to find I still remembered it.

On 1/1/2018 at 1:09 PM, Machete said:

Any chance you've seen this StrongFirst post?

I hadn't seen that post, but I read through it and am working on internalizing some of the lessons from it now. I know that I have a tendency to bounce between different programs or to push myself too far too fast, so I am going to have to keep an eye on that and really focus on dialing in the basics and slowly progressing.

On a totally unrelated note, for Christmas I put together my first RetroPie for the MiniBrowncoat. Aside from games on our phones, this was his first introduction to the world of console games. I loaded up a bunch of NES and SNES games so that he could experience the games that my wife and I grew up with. So far he really likes Super Mario 1, Mega Man 3, and Legend of Zelda for the NES. Couldn't be happier about that! The wife's gaming experience ended after Legend of Zelda, so I can't wait to introduce her to Link to the Past, and Ocarina of Time. So far we have all been taking turns playing Legend of Zelda. I can think of many, many worse ways to spend an evening than to have everyone sitting on the couch together.

• Like 2

You could totally upload a form check video. We have quite a few experienced kettlebell lifters (of all styles) here.

14 hours ago, WhiteBeltBrowncoat said:

I know that I have a tendency to bounce between different programs or to push myself too far too fast, so I am going to have to keep an eye on that and really focus on dialing in the basics and slowly progressing.

I totally know how this feels, and usually find myself doing the same thing. What I like the most about S&S is that once you develop proficiency in it, it allows you to do those other things.

A form check video sounds like a really good idea. I'd rather not want to have to relearn too many bad habits. 

Here's a quick update for the past two days.

I've done two S&S sessions. I think I was (still am probably) not getting the hand placement correct when going from my elbow to hand. I think I wasn't getting the alignment right and didn't have the elbow tracking correctly which put a lot of strain on it. If this keeps going well, I will have to update my goal of S&S 3 times a week to 5 times a week.

I've managed to limit myself to only adding GTG pullups to my exercising. It's been a long time since I've done them. 15 years ago I was a gym rat at the local climbing gym and could crank out 15+ consecutive pullups; now I am starting over at 1. But at least I know what I am capable of given enough time. I've been working on doing one pullup each time I walk past the bar. Having it up in the house is so much easier to use than when I used to have a pair of rock rings outside. Those never got used. I'm thinking GTG and then moving into the Fighter Pull-up Program eventually, but that is for the future. 

Brushing and flossing is going well, 9 day streak of brushing twice and flossing once. Plus I'm finally going back to the dentist tomorrow. All in all positive steps. 

I haven't done anything to sell my hockey pads, I need to pull them out and get some pictures of them to make up a flyer.

IF is still going. I'm trying to get my meals in between 1300 and 2200. Not quite 16:8, but close enough. I listened to Tim Ferriss interviewing Terry Crews recently and liked Terry Crews' approach to IF which was basically a way for him to assert control over part of his life every day which would then snowball into other things. I'm definitely looking for the weight loss aspect of IF, but I can appreciate his approach. I recently read Make Your Bed by Adm. (Ret.) William McCraven and I can see some similarities between making the bed and IF.

And now a question for everyone who has made it this far. What do you use to track your workouts and progress? Apps like Fitocracy; Spreadsheets; Hardcopy journals? I've been trying Fitocracy, but I'm not sold on it. I'm leaning towards hardcopy, but am not sure of the best way to do it. 

• Like 2

Here's the weekend update.

Simple and Sinister has been going well. I hit my new goal of 5 workouts a week. I didn't get any in over the weekend, but once the house is cleaned up and we get all the Christmas stuff out I'm hoping to be able to ramp up to 6 times a week. I'm liking the program and look forward to improving on it. I'm slowly ramping up the swings and am at 60 of the 100. I could probably hit all 100 right now, but would rather do it slowly so I don't hurt anything. 

Grease the Groove Pullups have been happening. This wasn't one of my formal goals for the challenge, but I'm trying to do one pullup each time I pass the bar. I think I'm probably hitting around 10 pullups spread throughout the day. 

Brushing and flossing has been going well. Only brushed once a day over the weekend. I'll have to work on that. Went to the dentist and got X-rays done. Get to go back for a cleaning later this week.

IF is a lot easier during the week when I'm at work. But at least I'm hitting the 5 days a week goal there.

Haven't made any progress selling my hockey gear yet. Still need to get photos of it so I can make up some flyers to post at the local rinks.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, WhiteBeltBrowncoat said:

IF is a lot easier during the week when I'm at work. But at least I'm hitting the 5 days a week goal there.

Cool. I'm doing IF too, and yeah, it's easier at work. I like the asserting control idea. I'll also have to look into that Make Your Bed book.

Stealing all the ideas.

Quick Update.

Another S&S training session in the books.

Doing well taking care of the teeth, though I now have to find another dentist that is in network. The one I went and saw wasn't in network and that is just too pricey otherwise.

IF still going strong, though I think I probably need to start tracking what I am eating in that 8 hour window. Never have been able to stick with using MyFitnessPal for extended periods of time. I'm thinking trying to just write down what I eat will be a decent start. 

One cool thing I did last night was to make a "pace counter" out of paracord. I've been doing GTG pullups but am usually running from one chore to another so I haven't been writing down how many I've been doing. I made this and then looped it over the pullup bar in the doorway. This way I just move a bead for each pullup I did. Then I can write down the total number at the end of the day. I'll try and get a picture of it up once I get home.

• Like 2

So I figured out this morning that I wasn't doing my swings correctly. I was using my shoulders way too much instead of driving with the hips. Now everything feels a lot looser and easier. Still need to get around to getting video and doing a form check. Babysteps, but I'm learning at least.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2018 at 4:49 PM, WhiteBeltBrowncoat said:

One cool thing I did last night was to make a "pace counter" out of paracord. I've been doing GTG pullups but am usually running from one chore to another so I haven't been writing down how many I've been doing. I made this and then looped it over the pullup bar in the doorway. This way I just move a bead for each pullup I did. Then I can write down the total number at the end of the day. I'll try and get a picture of it up once I get home.

Brilliant.

On 1/11/2018 at 3:40 PM, WhiteBeltBrowncoat said:

So I figured out this morning that I wasn't doing my swings correctly. I was using my shoulders way too much instead of driving with the hips. Now everything feels a lot looser and easier. Still need to get around to getting video and doing a form check. Babysteps, but I'm learning at least.

Towel swinging is a very good self-correcting drill. It usually highlights the arm swinging.

I'm definitely going to have to watch the towel hack video at lunch today. Quick updates on life. Dental care is going well. Coach.Me says that I've Flossed 21 days straight and only missed brushing 4 times. Definitely a step up from before. Declutter the house is slow. We finally took down the Christmas trees this week. We are rather notorious for getting them down late. But we have most of the tree ornaments put away in the garage. Last year they lived in our spare bedroom/office the whole year, so, improvement. Still need to take pictures of my hockey gear ane sell it. Exercising I took a bit of a break over the 3 day weekend. But body feels more rested and S&S last night felt good. The one setback I ran into is that the doorway pullup bar doesn't fit the door well enough so it is munching the door frame and the foam padding is rubbing off. So I really need to work on clearing out the crud from the office so I can hang my gymnastic rings and start using those and see if I can return the doorway pullup bar.

• Like 1