Xena Progresses

Xena

Hey Xena!! Happy 2018! I'll be following along again~ 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Giving yourself permission to feel that annoyance will actually make it easier to process since you aren't wasting energy trying to repress a natural emotion. Tell yourself it's ok to be annoyed then ask yourself if you are going to let it ruin your day or not.

This resonates and helps! Thanks!

6 hours ago, peelout said:

Glad to see you are still here.

You too peelout! Looking forward to hearing what you've been up to.

3 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Hey Xena!! Happy 2018! I'll be following along again~ 

Welcome and Happy 2018 to you too!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 12/30/2017 at 6:22 PM, Xena said:

I want to work on being less annoyed at people

I've been working on this too. A couple of things that are helping me:

Destressing my life. If I'm not always feeling stressed and anxious then the person driving too slowly or blocking the aisle in the grocery store are far less frustrating because I don't need to be somewhere by a certain time. Obviously you can't just snap your fingers and be stress free but finding what stresses you and working to eliminate or reduce those things one at a time can help in more ways than one

Think "How much is this annoying person actually going to affect me in 10/15/30 minutes?" Usually they frustrate you for a minute or so and then the rest of your life continues on like they weren't even there. Why is it so worth getting worked up about such an insignificant thing?

In general I'm working on being less judgemental which seems to be helping me be less annoyed at everyone. I'm still struggling with that one though since unfortunately I've spent many years being judgemental and it's a habit now :D

• Like 5
On 29/12/2017 at 1:27 AM, Xena said:

1. Run 100 miles.

Run all the miles! Following along! 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Think "How much is this annoying person actually going to affect me in 10/15/30 minutes?" Usually they frustrate you for a minute or so and then the rest of your life continues on like they weren't even there. Why is it so worth getting worked up about such an insignificant thing?

I try to use this strategy on larger stressors in my life - is this going to matter in 6 weeks? 6 months? If not, is it worth the emotional energy now?

It doesn't always work, but it's a good way to frame things, for sure!

I like the thought of applying it to the little things.
  • Like 3

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

On 1/1/2018 at 8:42 PM, Raxie said:

Wohoo Xena's a winter warrior again!

I like your five star mornings goal.  I really need to get my mornings in-line too this year. 

Thanks Raxie! I was afraid I was going to miss my winter warrior miles due to travel, but I got them in. I'm in California at the moment, so not-so-wintery, but I'm sure there will be plenty of cold waiting for me next week.

On 1/1/2018 at 9:42 PM, zeroh13 said:

Following!

Hi Zeroh! So good to see you again. We're running the Daily Dare again, if you are interested (but I know you have lots going one, so no worries if not this time). I'm traveling this week, so will be light on posting/following, but I will definitely swing by your thread as soon as I can.

22 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Destressing my life. If I'm not always feeling stressed and anxious then the person driving too slowly or blocking the aisle in the grocery store are far less frustrating because I don't need to be somewhere by a certain time. Obviously you can't just snap your fingers and be stress free but finding what stresses you and working to eliminate or reduce those things one at a time can help in more ways than one

I like all your suggestions. I'm working on some variations of this. Some things I've read online point me toward (1) setting boundaries and (2) taking control of your time/schedule as helpful steps. I think those are areas I need to work on.

14 hours ago, Fonzico said:

I try to use this strategy on larger stressors in my life - is this going to matter in 6 weeks? 6 months? If not, is it worth the emotional energy now?

It doesn't always work, but it's a good way to frame things, for sure!

I like the thought of applying it to the little things.

So kind of funny example...not sure what to make of this one.

I was flying today, and I was fairly cramped because I had my backpack under my seat, so my legs were kind of tucked back with my feet on the floor more or less right at the back edge of my seat area. The guy behind me had stretched his feet all the way under his seat and kept pushing into my area and/or kicking me. I was getting annoyed. I kind of pushed back with my foot once, so he would know it was a person he was kicking and not just part of the seat. Then he did it again. Before I knew what I was doing, I turned around, looked him straight it the face, and very bluntly and calmly said "stop kicking me." He stopped and I didn't feel annoyed anymore. I felt a little bad for not saying please, but only a little.

• Like 15

Oct/Nov 2016

17 minutes ago, Xena said:

I was flying today, and I was fairly cramped because I had my backpack under my seat, so my legs were kind of tucked back with my feet on the floor more or less right at the back edge of my seat area. The guy behind me had stretched his feet all the way under his seat and kept pushing into my area and/or kicking me. I was getting annoyed. I kind of pushed back with my foot once, so he would know it was a person he was kicking and not just part of the seat. Then he did it again. Before I knew what I was doing, I turned around, looked him straight it the face, and very bluntly and calmly said "stop kicking me." He stopped and I didn't feel annoyed anymore. I felt a little bad for not saying please, but only a little.

You did something instead of stewing about it. Makes sense to me why you wouldn't feel annoyed once the problem was solved.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

14 hours ago, Xena said:

Then he did it again

And that is why I don't think you should feel too bad for not saying please. Especially if you were calm and to the point.

• Like 5

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 1/1/2018 at 7:42 PM, Raxie said:

I like your five star mornings goal.  I really need to get my mornings in-line too this year. 

Ditto.

14 hours ago, Xena said:

You Mom'd him hardcore and hopefully he learned his lesson and wont do it again. So don't feel bad! You made him a better person for it ;) 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Xena said:

That's awesome. And it's fine you didn't say please. Stuff like that are fine. I have long legs and usually wind up asking the person in font of me to just stop leaning on them because I'm tired of getting bruises on my legs.

Today I had an irrational rage - the burek place was closed for the holidays. I have no idea why it annoyed me so much. And I'm fine now, but wow, was it a bit shocking to feel it.

• Like 2

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

On 03/01/2018 at 4:07 AM, Xena said:

When I tell people that I hate flying they usually take it to mean I'm afraid of being in a plan, but this is exactly what I mean. It's such a taxing and draining process full of annoyances. 

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Caught up with you! I envy your work trip to California the first week of January. You  picked the perfect time to avoid the cold in the Northeast.

Establishing an effective morning routine is a great goal.

My strategy to not be annoyed as much is to expect people to do stupid things. If I'm expecting someone to start a phone conversation in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store, I can be pleasantly surprised when they move to the side (and acknowledge that they were being considerate). Allowing myself enough time makes a big difference. I can easily go around or wait when I have plenty of time. Everything is more annoying when I'm in a hurry.

I think you did exactly the right thing with the rude person on the plane.

• Like 4

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

On 1/3/2018 at 10:27 PM, maegs said:

I started working on not being annoyed by starting with recognizing things that I can't change. Like if the subway is delayed in the morning, can I change it? No. Do people understand that sometimes the subway is delayed and it makes people late? Yes. So do I need to stress about it? No.

Excellent idea!

On 1/4/2018 at 5:52 AM, jonfirestar said:

When I tell people that I hate flying they usually take it to mean I'm afraid of being in a plan, but this is exactly what I mean. It's such a taxing and draining process full of annoyances. 

Yep...I kind of think it brings out the worst in people. So much selfish and inconsiderate behavior!

....and I'm back! Only two days into the challenge, but I feel a mile behind on the forums

(oh wait, I'm a distance runner... a mile is no big deal).

I got home very late Sunday night (and shifted east a few time zones), so I'm still easing into the morning routine. That's expected and fine.

Yesterday: Ran 3 miles, 10 pushups, 1 star morning (did my stretches, but was about 2 hours late on everything and didn't get the dishes done)

Today: Ran 5 miles, 11 pushups, 3 star morning (stretched, night prep, "house elf" chores, was about an hour late on everything but that's a big improvement).

That's enough for now. I'm gonna slowly catch up with the rest of you!

• Like 12

Oct/Nov 2016

following late, but here!

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Today I was kind of in the zone!

3-star morning again, but was up about half an hour earlier than yesterday. Only missed my targets by ~5 minutes. Still got to work about 15-30 minutes later than I consider "ideal." Eventually need to decide whether to (1) get up earlier, (2) do less in the morning, or (3) just be ok with getting to work later. It was a pretty enjoyable morning, so I'm leaning away from option #2.

Ran about 4 miles. Not a perfect workout because the footing was icy in parts, but nice to be out on the trails. Did 14 pushups toward my progressive challenge (that gets me a tiny bit ahead of schedule). Still have my winter warrior streak going!

Was pretty efficient at work today. Sort of turned over a new leaf with the new year and re-assessed some goals and priorities. It's got me feeling fairly optimistic. Also decided to skip a (non-mandatory) meeting. It's the kind of thing I usually attend because I feel like I "should." Today the interruption in my day would have really impacted my productivity, and attending would have made me feel stressed out and ANNOYED (remember...trying to be less annoyed and to take charge of my own time and energy). I'm glad I skipped it. I also said no to a professional request (sort of a service activity). It's again something optional, but something I would normally do. This time I said no because the specific request (evaluating someone else's work) would have caused me some internal conflict and stress. I would have worked very hard to give an objective evaluation, but it would have been hard for me. I'm glad I said no.

I've decided to try out one of the prepared meal kits and got my first set tonight. It was really relaxing to make dinner without having to think or measure or scrounge around too much. Also relaxing to just eat my darned dinner knowing that it was a reasonable portion. I know these meal kits are a luxury, but wow, they are nice! My weight had crept up a bit over the past couple months, and I wanted to get it back in check as soon as I got past this holiday and work-related travel. Happy to have my time and meal prep back under my own control.

• Like 9

Oct/Nov 2016

34 minutes ago, Xena said:

Today I was kind of in the zone!

3-star morning again, but was up about half an hour earlier than yesterday. Only missed my targets by ~5 minutes. Still got to work about 15-30 minutes later than I consider "ideal." Eventually need to decide whether to (1) get up earlier, (2) do less in the morning, or (3) just be ok with getting to work later. It was a pretty enjoyable morning, so I'm leaning away from option #2.

I love my early mornings (4:45-5:00am depending on what I am doing in the gym that day).  I used to get to work much earlier than I do, but prioritizing the gym really changed that, and it felt good to start the morning focused on me and not the millions of things I had to do for needy kids that day.  Glad you're enjoying it!

• Like 3

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

18 hours ago, Stribs said:

I love my early mornings (4:45-5:00am depending on what I am doing in the gym that day).  I used to get to work much earlier than I do, but prioritizing the gym really changed that, and it felt good to start the morning focused on me and not the millions of things I had to do for needy kids that day.  Glad you're enjoying it!

I'm not moving quite that early, but I think I'm figuring out a better system.

6 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Budgeting your work energy for the right things is impressive and will be so helpful!

What was in the meal kit?

Yesterday was a mexican spiced barramundi (fish in case anyone doesn't know it) with a kale and sweet potato salad. It was just that little bit fancier than I would make it myself...kale marinated in avocado and citrus juice/zest, roasted pepitas on top. The extra work was completely balanced by having all the ingredients right at my fingertips.

Tonight it some kind of asian style steak with bok choi and some other veggie bits. Will be delicious too.

Today is going really well so far!

4 star morning (I forgot to do my evening prep). Got up ~15 minutes earlier so I made my time goals. Had a shorter run planned, so I got to work about the time I would like to be getting to work. Did my daily dare and 15 pushups (inching a tiny bit forward on the progression).

Had to leave work for an appointment, so it was super quick to get a safety inspection done on my car. Knocked that off the sushi list.

Am pretty tired (from shifting my hours earlier), but have had a productive day. I know I just need another day or two to get used to the earlier schedule. Just gotta make sure not to backslide too much on the weekend.

• Like 7

Oct/Nov 2016