• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet: Hard Restart

Hi folks, hope everyone's psyched for the new year and the new challenge! I sure am!!

Reason One: I'm engaged! If ever there were a motivator, it's wanting to look good in the pics I'll be staring lovingly at for the rest of my life.

Reason Two: I've got the next month off work, and TONS of free time to focus on my health, so now is a great time to implement some changes.

Big Goal

Lose 20 kg. I'm currently at 84kg, which is the heaviest I've ever been (I've said that before, so it's about time to stop that trend).

Feel awesome. I'm enjoying jogging with Zombies Run, and I always feel satisfied after I do a workout (minor though it may be) so this is a trend I want to keep going!

Challenge Quests

1) Drink 2100mL water every day. I've been tracking my water intake for a while now; I don't always meet the goal but I definitely feel better when I do. Not to mention it means there's less room for sugary drinks!

2) Chocolate only for dessert, and even then in small portions only. Sweets are my weakness, so I want to limit my exposure to the point where I actually want less.

3) Go for a zombie run 3x a week. Trying to set up a regular habit here. I want to do some workouts on intervening days as well but I don't want to overload myself with commitments at this point.

4) Actually track this stuff as I go. I have a terrible memory, and if there are gaps in my tracking notebook I'm unsure if I'm supposed to be proud of or annoyed with myself for the week. This is a baby step, but an important one.

So there's some super basic stuff above, but I feel confident that I can smash this challenge and build on it for the next one. I've got big plans, people, but I want to start strong. Good luck, everyone!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Reason One: I'm engaged! If ever there were a motivator, it's wanting to look good in the pics I'll be staring lovingly at for the rest of my life.

Awwww congratulations!!! :):):) 

Nothing wrong with focusing on the basics, especially when you're starting out. Or at any other point down the road for that matter.

Are you doing the main story in Zombies Run, or the 5K training program?

• Like 1

hi! welcome!

it's great that you are loving the zombies run, that's so important to keep going.

what are you planning to regularly track? you have a notebook, is that the way you'd like to keep it up?

Thanks for the congrats and support, everyone! Super sweet of you :):)

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Nothing wrong with focusing on the basics, especially when you're starting out. Or at any other point down the road for that matter.

Are you doing the main story in Zombies Run, or the 5K training program?

I've done a couple of challenges before (ages ago and using a different username) and I always seemed to overstretch myself and lose it around week 2. So there's other stuff I'm planning to do more regularly, like making sure my cooking is super healthy and doing some other regular workouts, but these are the things I've decided I absolutely must do.

I'm doing the 5K program at the moment and loving it! The plan is to finish that, hopefully getting up to the point where I can run pretty much the whole way, and then I'll graduate to the main game.

5 hours ago, karinajean said:

hi! welcome!

it's great that you are loving the zombies run, that's so important to keep going.

what are you planning to regularly track? you have a notebook, is that the way you'd like to keep it up?

It's really the best way to make me run: tell me I'm going to get eaten if I don't!

I've got a really nifty five-year diary I've been using to record my workouts, so I'll be able to compare my progress right up to 2021. This is a major accountability thing; the plan is to have as few blank days as possible. I'm also recording my measurements at the start of the month. For the purposes of this challenge I'll just use a slip of paper so I can use that as a bookmark in the diary. I'm still figuring out how I want to track food but that's the next thing on my to-do list!

• Like 2

I love the idea of measurements on a bookmark. :) The 5-year notebook gives me the shakes, though. I am the type who starts with these GIANT PLANS and then fails completely and feels terrible and just gives up. So for me, at least, I've learned to stop making big, long-term goals and focus on the boring, daily goals. (So exciting! Lol.) But seriously, it works for me!

• Like 2

On 12/29/2017 at 5:24 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Actually track this stuff as I go

This is a big one for me as well! Welcome, or should it be welcome back?! 

Happy New Year, everyone! :):)

It's official: I no longer have the magical young person's ability to feel great after a party. I didn't have very much to drink last night, but wow do I feel lame today!

Happily, my challenge goals are still very much achievable even in my weakened state. I'll save thinking about exercises until this evening, but even if I'm not up to it today there are plenty of opportunities this week to get three runs in! So even if I'm not feeling awesome today I can still be proud of a reasonably strong start to the challenge :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Omg you brought up an excellent point. It's not just  about setting goals to add things into our lives, it's also about sacrificing things to make sure that we can stay on track. Thanks for the reminder! It reminds me not to go out drinking tonight for New Year's Eve if I want to actually make it to the gym tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

Omg you brought up an excellent point. It's not just  about setting goals to add things into our lives, it's also about sacrificing things to make sure that we can stay on track. Thanks for the reminder! It reminds me not to go out drinking tonight for New Year's Eve if I want to actually make it to the gym tomorrow!

Haha, happy I was able to help with my cautionary tale! Here in Australia it's already six and a half hours into 2018; glad we can use our time-travel powers for good ;)

I'm really not going to have trouble sacrificing alcohol, and I'm not just saying that because I'm currently hung over! I genuinely only drink on a handful of occasions in a year, which makes it tricky for my brain and body to handle when I do. Lesson learnt!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Haha, happy I was able to help with my cautionary tale! Here in Australia it's already six and a half hours into 2018; glad we can use our time-travel powers for good ;)

Lol. I figured you were somewhere over there! My brother is in Guam. He has been drunk-texting me since 10:30am my time. Haha! He always jokes about time travel, too. 

4 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

I'm really not going to have trouble sacrificing alcohol, and I'm not just saying that because I'm currently hung over! I genuinely only drink on a handful of occasions in a year, which makes it tricky for my brain and body to handle when I do. Lesson learnt!

I'm with you there! My drinking days are behind me for the most part, too. But there are other things I'm thinking about having to sacrifice now that you got me thinking about it. If I need to get up earlier, then I will have to go to bed earlier. If I'm going to commit to time at the gym, I'll have to give up the hours of sitting on my a$$ watching TV that I'm used to. *insert eye roll here*. If I am going to walk my dog, I'll have to give up being inside on cold, blustery days. If I'm going to manage my money better, I'll have to sacrifice impulse shopping. Time to suck it up, buttercup!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

I'll save thinking about exercises until this evening, but even if I'm not up to it today there are plenty of opportunities this week to get three runs in!

Absolutely! It's not the end of the world to miss a day. I think the NF way is 'Never two in a row'. Or, to borrow a quote from a Bennett Foddy game; 'This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. - Mary Pickford'. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/29/2017 at 8:15 PM, Lateral Planet said:

I've got a really nifty five-year diary I've been using to record my workouts, so I'll be able to compare my progress right up to 2021. This is a major accountability thing; the plan is to have as few blank days as possible. I'm also recording my measurements at the start of the month. For the purposes of this challenge I'll just use a slip of paper so I can use that as a bookmark in the diary. I'm still figuring out how I want to track food but that's the next thing on my to-do list!

On 12/30/2017 at 10:42 AM, The Real Syl Mil said:

I love the idea of measurements on a bookmark. :) The 5-year notebook gives me the shakes, though. I am the type who starts with these GIANT PLANS and then fails completely and feels terrible and just gives up. So for me, at least, I've learned to stop making big, long-term goals and focus on the boring, daily goals. (So exciting! Lol.) But seriously, it works for me!

I love 5-year diaries! I hvae one that I was using very reliably 2 years ago for about a year and then.... fizzled. oh geez. it was just for my every-day life, though, not for working out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, karinajean said:

I love 5-year diaries! I hvae one that I was using very reliably 2 years ago for about a year and then.... fizzled. oh geez. it was just for my every-day life, though, not for working out.

I did hesitate before getting it because I'm exactly like that with diaries! Also because it was already July and the whole thing is in Japanese, which I can't read ;) But I've managed to keep it up to date for the whole six months, which is a fairly strong start for me. The idea is I'll eventually reach pages like this one and be like, "Gosh, look how much faster I am now, go me!" So there's a clear goal already built in, which means I'm going to have to do some forward planning!

20180101_154422.thumb.jpg.b1bfa920616577c0231ef7b2576fad7f.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I did hesitate before getting it because I'm exactly like that with diaries! Also because it was already July and the whole thing is in Japanese, which I can't read ;) But I've managed to keep it up to date for the whole six months, which is a fairly strong start for me. The idea is I'll eventually reach pages like this one and be like, "Gosh, look how much faster I am now, go me!" So there's a clear goal already built in, which means I'm going to have to do some forward planning!

20180101_154422.thumb.jpg.b1bfa920616577c0231ef7b2576fad7f.jpg

I like this idea....

I'm gonna say day 1 was a success. I didn't end up doing any exercises today, but I completed all the other challenges so that's a win. Tomorrow I'll do a zombie run; after lying on the couch in my PJs all day today I think I need it!

In other news, it turns out I managed to lose a whole kilogram in the last month without putting in maximum effort! So I'm feeling pretty positive about the results I'll get whilst actually focusing on this challenge.

• Like 2

Day 2 was another success! Wore myself out by doing a full 5K, walking and jogging. Probably could've gone faster overall but it was still pretty hot out and my running buddy (mini dachshund) was Not In The Mood.

I also did an audit of the house's chocolate supply... Yeah, it turns out there's a fair amount. The thing is most of this stuff was given to us and it sort of sits in the cupboard, forgotten about, taking up space (I found a bunny from last Easter!) But I can't stand to waste it, so I've transferred a bunch to the fridge, where it might actually get eaten (in small doses, of course). Might also convince Fiancé to take a couple of boxes to share at work.

• Like 1

I have two of those running buddies, well, one mini and one full size...they do wear out rather quickly don't they? I always think of the movie "all dogs go to heaven" "short legs, short legs" when they try to keep up LOL

4 hours ago, RES said:

I have two of those running buddies, well, one mini and one full size...they do wear out rather quickly don't they? I always think of the movie "all dogs go to heaven" "short legs, short legs" when they try to keep up LOL

Mine's an absolute nutter! He'll do 5K and then sprint some laps of the backyard for good measure! But he's only a year old, so he's got that youthful energy. Mostly the problem is it's the peak of summer here, so it's pretty uncomfortable even though we save runs for the last hour of daylight. Also puppy prefers when both Fiancé and I are walking him, so he kept stopping to let Fiancé catch up even though he was napping at home! It was very sweet :):)

• Like 2

Having another win day! Used up some of the sweet stuff in the fridge to make some delicious cookies n cream ice cream, and while that was churning in the machine I did some of the Beginner's Bodyweight Workout. I didn't go too hard, though, since I don't want to be too sore for a run tomorrow. And I was also doing a load of laundry which included all my sports bras, so I had to modify some moves to prevent excess jiggling. It still felt satisfying to do a workout in that time instead of being idle (also proud of restraining myself on taste-testing). Although now that the freezer's full I think I need a rule about ice cream, something like I can earn one serve for every 20km of running I do.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RES said:

I would not be able to resist that in my freezer...good job with getting it done!

I strategically made a flavour Fiancé likes more than I do, so hopefully he can take care of it for me ;) 

Feeling a bit sore after the workout yesterday, so will have to wait and see about a run later. Everything else is still going great!

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 2:54 PM, DiegoVulpes said:

I think the NF way is 'Never two in a row'. Or, to borrow a quote from a Bennett Foddy game; 'This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. - Mary Pickford'. 

That is absolutely the NF way!!  :)  And @Lateral Planet, you are killing it so far!

Congratulations on your engagement, and your goals look great! 

On 1/2/2018 at 9:46 PM, Lateral Planet said:

It still felt satisfying to do a workout in that time instead of being idle (also proud of restraining myself on taste-testing).

Good for you!! This is something I need to get better at doing - way to put those minutes to good use!