• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet: Hard Restart

It's as I feared: yesterday's squats totally killed my thighs. But I didn't give in to the lure of the couch! I didn't run at all, but still went for a nice long walk, so I guess that's half a mark. And the puppy spent most of the night napping on my lap, better than a heat pack for sore muscles!

7 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Good for you!! This is something I need to get better at doing - way to put those minutes to good use!

I wish I were motivated like that all the time! Tonight's dinner involved a lot of waiting for the oven timer to ping and it only just occurred to me I could have done some light exercises instead of (or as well as) watching cartoons in the meantime. Maybe I should put a sticky note over the stove: "Don't just watch, do some squats!" ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Walks always help me with sore thighs/calves...

I'm not sure I could make ice cream that my wife likes more than me...the only kind I don't like are 'fruit' flavored and she doesn't like them either :lol: 

On 1/2/2018 at 9:46 PM, Lateral Planet said:

And I was also doing a load of laundry which included all my sports bras, so I had to modify some moves to prevent excess jiggling. It still felt satisfying to do a workout in that time instead of being idle (also proud of restraining myself on taste-testing). 

Hahahaha! I just died laughing over this one! Who knew?! Since I really don't exercise, I didn't even think about this. But I've had some interesting workouts with my Wii where I had to do some "adjustments" myself. Lol. Good times. 

4 hours ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

Hahahaha! I just died laughing over this one! Who knew?! Since I really don't exercise, I didn't even think about this. But I've had some interesting workouts with my Wii where I had to do some "adjustments" myself. Lol. Good times. 

Yep I discovered that day it's easy to overdo the multitasking! They weren't star-jumps but more like triangle-jumps, since my hands had important work to do :P

7 hours ago, RES said:

Walks always help me with sore thighs/calves...

I'm not sure I could make ice cream that my wife likes more than me...the only kind I don't like are 'fruit' flavored and she doesn't like them either :lol: 

I'd say the walking definitely helped, hopefully I'll be up for a run this arvo, and then I just need one more this week to get 100 per cent on my challenge :)

The upshot of making my own ice cream is I can use actual real fruit that I like (honeydew melon FTW!) The struggle is to try to ignore the cup of sugar and three cups of cream and pretend the fruitiness is still good for me ;)

• Like 1

Lifted some weights today! By which I mean they were having a sale on pet food so I bought as much as I could comfortably carry back to the car, which turns out to be 20kg over maybe 150 metres.

Made a paleo/no sugar lemon poppyseed cake, and honestly I'm not thrilled with it. Probably it would be better for me to focus on portion control of sugary things instead. On the other hand, I still have some unusual ingredients to use up so there might be more baking adventures to come.

Managed to do a zombie run too, and I think I did well. Day 1 of Week 3 didn't kick my butt as badly as the last time! In fact, even as I write this I've realised the app has kept my data from August, so I can totally do a direct conparison! Don't be shocked if my next post includes a graph ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can take the girl out of the sciences, but you can't take the scientist out of the girl! Here's what I learned looking at my distance and speed from when I ran the same missions a few months ago:

Actually, apart from today and the very first day my average pace per kilometre has been a bit slower since the last time, by about half a minute. BUT I've also been going a lot further than I did last time, by at least half a kilometre on every single mission.

There are a bunch of other unmeasurable variables, but I would say that overall this shows I'm in much better shape this time around. Not only am I pushing myself further but I'm ABLE to.

So it just goes to show that even with a hard restart you're never really back at square 1!

• Like 2

Oops, forgot to check in yesterday! Did well though; limited myself to just one set of the Beginner Bodyweight Workout so I wouldn't be too sore for a run today, which seems to have worked. I think while I'm alternating running days with strength days I should take it easy and gradually increase until I'm better at both.

The challenge for today is to shun Ben and Jerry's! I'm seeing some friends this arvo for a traditional movie and ice cream, but today I intend to get a coke zero instead. Also, I need to go for a zombie run later if I'm to get 100 per cent on all my challenges, so that's non-negotiable! 

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, you guys!! I just stepped on the scale this morning for funsies and I've lost nearly a whole kilo in the last week!!

This is amazing. The most radical change I've made in this challenge is to have chocolate once a day instead of pretty much every time I go near the fridge, and I'd say that's getting me some results!

Of course, it doesn't hurt that I've been getting some exercise almost every day this week. I definitely plan on keeping that up, too. Super keen to see where it gets me in Week 2! 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

100 per cent success on Week 1, woot!!

Awesome!!

3 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Oh my goodness, you guys!! I just stepped on the scale this morning for funsies and I've lost nearly a whole kilo in the last week!!

Wonderful news! 

Thanks, everyone!

On 08/01/2018 at 9:05 AM, The Real Syl Mil said:

PS chocolate tastes so much better when you only have it once a day. :) 

I definitely feel like I'm appreciating it more!

Still going strong, even though today's run came with added challenges, including a thunderstorm overhead and a snake in the path. Basically, Mother Nature did not want us to leave the house today! But I'm glad we persevered :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Still going strong, even though today's run came with added challenges, including a thunderstorm overhead and a snake in the path. Basically, Mother Nature did not want us to leave the house today! But I'm glad we persevered :)

Eep! Good job!

Was tricky to reach my water consumption goal yesterday since I had a soft drink with lunch and dinner. Gotta remember that swapping for water literally means "have less coke so you've got more room for water!"

Had a long but fairly slow zombie run today; it was just too hot for the puppy! Luckily Fiancé had come with so he could carry him, but it still slowed us down. Tomorrow I'll go later in the day to make up for it!

We're hosting some friends on Friday and Saturday night, around the time I usually do a walk, so I'm going to have to plan ahead to get 100 per cent on this week's challenge. 

• Like 1

I think I'm making some progress in my quest to vanquish chocolate cravings! I made an awesome chocolate bavarian because Fiance was hosting a poker night for his friends, and I treated myself to a slice for my dessert. It was definitely a smaller slice than the last time I had it several months ago, but arguably a bigger dessert than I've had for at least a few days now, and it just felt like too much after a couple of bites. So I would say my rule of having smaller quantities and only once a day is definitely changing my palate!

While they were busy being rowdy boys, I took some quiet time to reflect on my challenge. Since I haven't been working, my days have been fairly boring; basically trying not to spend any money or eat any chocolate, drinking heaps of water and just waiting for it to be cool enough for a run. So I dove back into the NF Academy to remind myself of some side quests (as part of my hard restart I also undid all my Academy progress). I've been technically doing the Academy on and off for about two years now but I was never very diligent about logging on frequently and actually paying attention to the quests. I'd try to smash out all the quick ones and then leave myself trying to do half a dozen week-long quests at a time just so I could make quicker progress.

This time around I've decided to concentrate on one module at a time, and only on a couple of quests (ones that complement each other nicely) each week. This way the progress may be very slow, but the effects should be more long-lasting and I won't get overwhelmed and burnt out so easily. Next week I'll do the sleep journal quest as well as my regular challenges. I really should get a better sleep pattern in place before work starts up again and starts messing with my circadian rhythms!

• Like 2

Time for a major woot: just set a new personal record for 5K!! Smashed the old record by a couple of minutes! I'm still walking a lot of the way so I won't be signing up for Tokyo 2020 yet but I'm feeling good :):)

• Like 3

Week 2 has been another 100 per cent success, challenge-wise!

Going to weigh myself again tomorrow but I'm prepared to not see much movement. Unlike last week, I haven't done any strength exercises and I was a bit more generous with dessert portions. But because I already know that, I know what I should work on in Week 3! :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Time for a major woot: just set a new personal record for 5K!! Smashed the old record by a couple of minutes! I'm still walking a lot of the way so I won't be signing up for Tokyo 2020 yet but I'm feeling good :):)

That is awesome! A couple of minutes is a huge improvement! :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

That is awesome! A couple of minutes is a huge improvement! :) 

Thanks! :):)

As I thought, I did gain a little weight back over the last week. But as I said in my last post above, I know exactly why that is so I'm not at all disheartened!

• Like 2

Phew, I may have overdone it a bit today! It was supposed to be a rest day in between Zombies Run missions. So I did a set and a half of the Beginner Bodyweight Workout so as not to slack off like I did last week. But then I was invited to go orienteering with Fiancé and his dad, and I figured why not do a mission at the same time? Except 10 minutes in I realised I'd selected the wrong mission and had to start over, and we were in a super hilly suburb, whereas my usual route is flat as. Add in all the squats I did earlier, and my thighs in particular are killing me at the moment!

Tomorrow's another rest day, and this time I'll take it seriously!

• Like 2

Hooray, I'm not sore after yesterday! So I decided to ride the wave and do a few exercises. I think all the zombie runs have been good for my legs because my squats are improving. Upper body strength still needs a LOT of work, though!

• Like 3

Signed up for the new Zombies Run Virtual Race this morning! It's still three months away so I've got loads of time to improve and get an awesome score :)

When I logged into my account I happened to notice I'd recorded incorrectly my times from the virtual race in October; I was actually a lot quicker than I thought! I guess technically I didn't set a new record the other day, but it was still the fastest time of this year so I'm still proud. So my current goal for the upcoming race in April is to beat my time from October, should be fun! 

• Like 1

I was thinking about snacking today (I mean, as a concept). I go back to work in a couple of weeks and the office is just a top snacking zone and I've got to come up with some kind of plan. So I grabbed a handful of stuff from the cupboard and blitzed them in the food processor and came up with these mostly apricot balls. They're OK, but I think I need to coat them in chocolate so they stay intact, at which point I can only have them for dessert anyway. Still, it's something I can refine and I'll hopefully come up with something healthier than a packet of TimTams to nibble on at work!

5a618a34b1823_2018-01-1917_03_05.thumb.jpg.8c0125499eb52967d6df76971373c08b.jpg

• Like 1

Back on topic, I'm still going at 100 per cent on my challenge! I've also been doing a sleep diary this week for the NF Academy, and it's pretty clear I need to make some changes. Especially since I'm on holiday at the moment, there's not much of a routine happening but some more consistency would definitely be good for me.

Also, it sounds like we're in for another heat wave this week, so running might be more difficult than usual. Might try to plan it so I can run when it's Fiancé's turn to cook; that way I can do it later in the evenings when it's a bit cooler and I'm not all gross and sweaty before reaching the end of the driveway! 

• Like 1

Whew, I haven't checked in with you for a while - you're making some major progress! Way to go!!

EG0ZD.gif 

May I ask what TimTams are?? They look magical - is that coconut on the outside??  :o 

• Like 1