• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet: Hard Restart

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Whew, I haven't checked in with you for a while - you're making some major progress! Way to go!!

 

May I ask what TimTams are?? They look magical - is that coconut on the outside??  :o 

Thanks! It's been a good couple of weeks :)

 

Tim Tams are the best! 

It's two chocolate biscuits (cookies) with chocolatey cream in the middle and coated with more chocolate. There are coconut flavoured ones, and they're my absolute favourite! But they were just a limited edition in Australia so if I want more I need to visit Vanuatu again, but that's probably a good thing for my health ;)

 

An Aussie delicacy that definitely has coconut on the outside is the lamington. That's sponge cake which has been coated in chocolate sauce and dipped in coconut. The fancy ones also have jam and whipped cream inside. Luckily I don't have any of those in the house either or I'd be having a hard time with this challenge! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally smashed it this week! (It's Sunday night here in Aus, promise I'm not cheating!)

5a6471a3997e4_2018-01-2121_54_04.thumb.jpg.168ee1aab2bff37cf801b064044c34e2.jpg

Four runs instead of three! Was very tempted to skip it tonight but I decided I wanted bragging rights ;) It wasn't easy though; even at 9pm it was over 30C (86F) outside. If there are any Rebels in Colorado today who want to do a house swap, I might just be up for that!

 

What I should confess is I came very close to breaking my "no chocolate before dinner rule" today (another reason to make myself run tonight). We went to the movies today and I was super keen for an ice cream, both for deliciousness and to cool me down. Thankfully, the gods of good health intervened and the cinema was completely sold out!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weighed in again this morning and I lost half a kilo in Week 3! I had been hoping for more, given how much exercise I did (as well as zombie runs, I did some strength exercises each day). But I did also have a lot of dessert through the week so I guess that balanced things out some.

 

But that won't be happening this week! Last weekend we had a bunch of people over, so I made a chocolate Bavarian and a fruit crumble (desserts are kind of my thing). But even though some guys had seconds there was still a lot left afterwards and I couldn't stand to waste it. So all I have to do is NOT make anything this week and then there'll be nothing for me to eat--easy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a rainy week here, and finally a bit cooler than 40C outside! I wouldn't mind running in a little rain but my running buddy (being a miniature dachshund) HATES it, and it would be mean to go for walkies without him! So I'm all dressed up in my running tights, ready to leap into action as soon as the weather clears up.

 

While I've accepted I might miss my target of three zombie runs this week if it keeps raining, I'm not going to slack off. I've got plenty of bodyweight exercises I can do at home instead, so that I can say I did something.

 

And I've already dishonoured my declaration in my last post, to not bake anything, but there were three brown bananas on the bench, what else could I have done but make banana bread? ;) But I did a smart thing and only put in 1/3 of the sugar the recipe demanded. Still tastes pretty good and not too bad for breakfast, either!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

So I'm all dressed up in my running tights, ready to leap into action as soon as the weather clears up.

I seized my opportunity, but the puppy was still not keen so it was only a short walk. I had to abort the mission halfway through, so I'll redo it properly in a few dsys when it's drier. And in the meantime I'll do some exercises today to make up the difference.

 

Bonus: A grumpy sausage dog in a raincoat :):)

5a67eaeaaee82_2018-01-2413_08_43.jpg.0f0f4ee7a1f4914bcc72c1ddd5acb9be.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, might have overdone the leg work again. Will I ever learn? At least this time the ache is localised to the meaty bit of thigh above my knees and not the whole leg! Perhaps for a while I should skip the squats and lunges and focus more on pushups and planks.

 

Everything else is still on track. I even managed to coat those apricot balls in white chocolate without doing any taste-testing! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

Ugh, might have overdone the leg work again. Will I ever learn? At least this time the ache is localised to the meaty bit of thigh above my knees and not the whole leg! Perhaps for a while I should skip the squats and lunges and focus more on pushups and planks.

 

Everything else is still on track. I even managed to coat those apricot balls in white chocolate without doing any taste-testing! 

 

Hope you get to feeling better soon! I've got pain in my neck and right shoulder myself. I have no idea how I somehow overwork an area like that but I hate it takes days to get better again. It will though.. hang in there. ;)

 

Continue to be awesome!! :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, shy said:

 

Hope you get to feeling better soon! I've got pain in my neck and right shoulder myself. I have no idea how I somehow overwork an area like that but I hate it takes days to get better again. It will though.. hang in there. ;)

 

Continue to be awesome!! :D 

Thanks! Oh no, that sounds awful, hope you feel better soon too! :) Wondering if I ought to learn more about muscles in general. I studied skeletons at uni so I know all about my bones, but not much about why my armpits in particular feel so weak after pushups ;)

 

Thankfully, a good night's sleep fixed me right up, but I get a bit spooked by leg soreness. A friend of mine got super into running about a year ago and overdid it to the point where she got stress fractures in both shins. She's super awesome though and has bounced back like a boss!! But while I sometimes get frustrated thinking I'm making such slow progress, if any, I'm also trying hard to avoid several months on crutches!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Thanks! Oh no, that sounds awful, hope you feel better soon too! :) Wondering if I ought to learn more about muscles in general. I studied skeletons at uni so I know all about my bones, but not much about why my armpits in particular feel so weak after pushups ;)

 

Thankfully, a good night's sleep fixed me right up, but I get a bit spooked by leg soreness. A friend of mine got super into running about a year ago and overdid it to the point where she got stress fractures in both shins. She's super awesome though and has bounced back like a boss!! But while I sometimes get frustrated thinking I'm making such slow progress, if any, I'm also trying hard to avoid several months on crutches!

 

That's my worry, if I get hurt I don't have insurance and I have no money. So I try very hard to take it easy and not push too hard however I can no longer use the possibility of getting hurt as an excuse not to exercise. Heart disease is the number one cause of death for women here, 1 in 4, and I don't want that to happen to me. I've got to stick around for my little one. ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2018 at 1:23 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Still going strong, even though today's run came with added challenges, including a thunderstorm overhead and a snake in the path. Basically, Mother Nature did not want us to leave the house today! But I'm glad we persevered :)

 

Eep! Good job!

 

^^^ Apparently I typed that ages ago and never submitted!

 

You are super killing it!!! And STOP telling us all about your delicious dessert, dammit! I am seriously drooling here after just catching up on your posts. Lol. Sounds like you have a superpower in the baking department! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, shy said:

 

That's my worry, if I get hurt I don't have insurance and I have no money. So I try very hard to take it easy and not push too hard however I can no longer use the possibility of getting hurt as an excuse not to exercise. Heart disease is the number one cause of death for women here, 1 in 4, and I don't want that to happen to me. I've got to stick around for my little one. ;) 

It's a great motivator, thinking "This is really hard right now, but if I don't do it life could get so much harder for me later on!"

 

6 hours ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

You are super killing it!!! And STOP telling us all about your delicious dessert, dammit! I am seriously drooling here after just catching up on your posts. Lol. Sounds like you have a superpower in the baking department! 

Thanks! Might have to increase the difficulty on my next challenge ;) But I knew if I made it too challenging I'd get demotivated and stop bothering about halfway through Week 2, as always!

 

That said, I'm really surprised how easy it's been for me to say "I don't eat chocolate before dinner" and actually stick to it! This week there have been no fancy desserts; I've limited myself to a maximum of two mini Cadbury Favourites or Lindt balls. I'll be interested to see what effect this has had on my weight on Monday. 

 

Sorry, I should have said TimTams and lamingtons are the absolute worst and you're definitely not missing out on anything amazing, not at all ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I've limited myself to a maximum of two mini Cadbury Favourites or Lindt balls.

 

Ya know... I have been sugar free for about ten years. I DO still eat SOME kinds of sugar, but I've learned to limit myself to 2. Chocolate specifically. I play with textures and flavoring to make them more decadent without sugar. My new favorite is stone ground Mexican dark chocolate. Very little sugar in it and the gritty texture is so delectable! I eat my 2 pieces very slooooowly and find that I actually ENJOY it instead of just shoveling as much as I can into my face. Lol. It is easier to stop at 2 when I have enjoyed the experience to the max!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

 My new favorite is stone ground Mexican dark chocolate. Very little sugar in it and the gritty texture is so delectable!

 

I'm pretty sure we have a rule here somewhere that says describing chocolate like that requires you to post a link to it. :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The Real Syl Mil Good on you for being sugar free! I definitely understand about savouring the goodness, especially when it's in limited supply, but I still eat them like this: ;)

200w.gif.efdfb6b78c9fd4a7223ce0bff8746e8c.gif

 

Still, that's a massive improvement for me, harking back to the days when I could quite happily eat a whole bag of marshmallows or peanut M&Ms or something while lying in bed, bingeing Supernatural til way past a reasonable bedtime. I don't think I could handle that much sugar in a sitting these days, but I'm still not going to give myself the opportunity to find out!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Lateral! How are your legs? Are you feeling recovered? I have issues with squats and lunges occasionally too, and I know exactly the part of the leg you're talking about - I think it's a tendon or something? I'm not quite sure. I do know it's painful.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Hey Lateral! How are your legs? Are you feeling recovered? I have issues with squats and lunges occasionally too, and I know exactly the part of the leg you're talking about - I think it's a tendon or something? I'm not quite sure. I do know it's painful.  :) 

I'm all good, thanks! I'm doing all these big walks as well as bodyweight exercises, so my legs are getting used a lot more than my upper half and feeling sore more often. Gotta try to balance that out a bit more, I reckon. Thankfully the soreness never lasts long, maybe a few hours, but it's a good reminder that I'm still a noob and I need to go easy sometimes.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I'm all good, thanks! I'm doing all these big walks as well as bodyweight exercises, so my legs are getting used a lot more than my upper half and feeling sore more often. Gotta try to balance that out a bit more, I reckon. Thankfully the soreness never lasts long, maybe a few hours, but it's a good reminder that I'm still a noob and I need to go easy sometimes.

 

 

Yep, it's all about learning to listen to your body and to know the difference between a good hard workout that leaves you sore, and pushing to the point that you might actually be hurting yourself. If you're not quite able to do as much as you want, just remember that doing as much as you can, when you can, will get you to where you want to be.  :) 

 

You're doing awesomely and I'm proud of you!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

 

Yep, it's all about learning to listen to your body and to know the difference between a good hard workout that leaves you sore, and pushing to the point that you might actually be hurting yourself. If you're not quite able to do as much as you want, just remember that doing as much as you can, when you can, will get you to where you want to be.  :) 

 

You're doing awesomely and I'm proud of you!!

Thanks heaps! I know exactly what you mean. The biggest hurdle was a couple of years ago, the first time I tried to get serious about exercise and maybe speeding up a bit on my walks: learning the difference between "you're a little out of breath due to running" and "you're about to have an asthma attack and die out in the bush like an idiot". But nowadays I don't even need to bring an inhaler with me!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Thanks heaps! I know exactly what you mean. The biggest hurdle was a couple of years ago, the first time I tried to get serious about exercise and maybe speeding up a bit on my walks: learning the difference between "you're a little out of breath due to running" and "you're about to have an asthma attack and die out in the bush like an idiot". But nowadays I don't even need to bring an inhaler with me!

 

That's it exactly!! Gosh, I'm glad you learned the difference between those two!!  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

 

That's it exactly!! Gosh, I'm glad you learned the difference between those two!!  :D 

Me too!! I guess growing up asthmatic I was hyper aware of ANY shortness of breath, even though I rarely had an actual attack, so exercise just didn't happen unless a PE teacher insisted ;) I spent a couple of months doing tedious hours on a gym treadmill (boring, but near home) to get a better idea of how much I could push myself before trying to jog outdoors at all. I carried an inhaler with me for months of outdoors walking/jogging before realising I'd never actually needed the thing and felt fit and comfortable enough to start leaving it at home.

 

Had a nutrition win just now! Fiancé and I went out to get lunch and groceries, and he decided he wanted McDonald's, but I slipped into the sushi place near the supermarket beforehand and got myself something much healthier!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

Had a nutrition win just now! Fiancé and I went out to get lunch and groceries, and he decided he wanted McDonald's, but I slipped into the sushi place near the supermarket beforehand and got myself something much healthier!

 

Way to go!! That's not easy to do - I'm so proud of you!

 

giphy.webp 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SkyGirl Not gonna lie, I was tempted when Fiancé offered to get me a thickshake, too! But my chocolate rule is firmly in place and anyway a thickshake would NOT pair well with salmon sashimi!

 

Time for a woot: lost just a smidge over half a kilo in Week 4! This consistency thing is working out for me :):)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Time for a woot: lost just a smidge over half a kilo in Week 4! This consistency thing is working out for me :):)

 

200.gif 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Time for a woot: lost just a smidge over half a kilo in Week 4! This consistency thing is working out for me :):)

 

G8dSLAi.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigh, been a bit lethargic and headachey the last couple of days. Haven't been sleeping great and the rain is really getting in the way of running so far this week. Planning to do today's workout just before bed in the hopes it'll wear me out so I'll go straight to sleep.

 

Also, I'm finally going back to work tomorrow! I'm glad, because money is useful stuff, but also kind of apprehensive, because historically I've struggled to establish and maintain good exercise and nutrition habits while work is crazy (which is all the time). So I'm going to use the next week and a half to really scrutinise my behaviour to test out how well I can continue the good habits from this challenge, and try to come up with the best approach for the next challenge. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now