• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DiegoVulpes

DiegoVulpes is learning to look after himself

24 minutes ago, DiegoVulpes said:

Below is my haul from the vege shop, and is all my food for the week. Recipe suggestions would be grand <3

Those veggies look delicious (says the girl who just got back from the gym and is totally RAVENOUS)!!! I find, when it comes to veggies, the best thing is the simplest thing. I like them roasted in the oven (drizzled with olive oil & flavored with salt & pepper) or sauteed (again olive oil, salt, pepper). Spinach is yummy sauteed with onions and mushrooms (or those red peppers you have there). Spinach is also yummy with your eggs! Cabbage and whatever that root vege is (sweet potato?) would be great roasted in the oven. Don't over think it! Throw em in the oven til you can smell them cooking up. Poke them with a fork to see if they are soft enough to eat. Done!

Also I'm totally feelin ya on the big goal let downs and how long it takes to get there. I am training myself to FEEL successful when I do ONE TINY THING. I cannot even think about the 1 year or 5 year or 10 year goals. I went to the gym today. I walked on the treadmill today. I didn't go to the coffee shop today (yet). YAY!! Now I shall celebrate by eating everything in sight! Lol. Well...all the vegetables... It is a let down that you hit the bakery, but look how many days you put together NOT going before that!!! AWESOME!

Keep it up! Just being here and being honest and sharing your journey is DOING IT! So keep doing it! You got this!! Rah rah!

• Like 3

Ooh you have some nice vegetables there! Do you have any peanut butter in the house? If you've got some I can give you a good sweet potato and spinach north african style curry recipe which is dead easy :) 

• Like 1

Wow, good on you for walking all that way without breaking any eggs or squishing the bread! Mad skills :)

As for recipes, definitely keep it simple, especially if you're trying a new thing and aren't sure if you'll like it (you don't want to slave over something only to hate your first bite!) Very often we just have a raw salad with dinner: lettuce or spinach, sliced carrot, capsicum, snow peas, beans, tomato, cucumber. Add some cheese or some dressing if that sounds a bit dull.

For your hard veg (potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, swede, turnip, beetroot, zucchini etc) @The Real Syl Mil has the right idea with roasting. Sprinkle some herbs on top for some nice flavours!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your wonderful recipe suggestions <3 I look forward to trying them all out at one point or another. @Mab I'd like that sweet potato and spinach curry recipe, it sounds delicious.
My biggest trouble with cooking and roasting is my kitchen set-up. I live in a single bedroom apartment where the kitchenette consists of a minifridge, microwave, and kettle. I also have my own rice cooker and electric wok. There is a communal kitchen in the building that has an oven and stovetop, but I've avoided it for pretty much the entirety of my time in this place. A bit of social anxiety makes me feel super awkward cooking in a room that strangers could walk into at any time. Technically, they are neighbours, but I've barely spoken with them before.

Day 5 progress report
Back on track today :) I was in bed at 11:30pm, so I'm ahead of schedule with that. I was up and active a  little after 8am this morning. 

I went for run 2 of week 1 of the Zombies Run 5k yesterday morning. It was raining, and the wind was pretty strong, so I'm pleased with myself for overcoming that challenge. I figured out the timing for the 15 second run/1 minute jog cycle is about 20 steps/60 steps, which allowed me to maintain that cycle through the "free roam" running section. A new problem popped up though... I struggle to keep a regular breathing cycle and count steps at the same time :D Probably a lack of practice multitasking.
I didn't go to the bakery, and I had a couple of servings of vegetables, including spinach with scrambled eggs and a bowl of stir fry. 

• Like 2

Hi there,

I read your intro and subsequent posts and am also very new here. I’m also terribly socially anxious and experience mild depression. So, solidarity on that.

I’ve read that you are not wise in the way of vegetables. I don’t do as well as I’d like, but one simple trick is to keep your meals Colourful. Stir frys are great because you can put in so many colourful veggies and it will always taste good. You could also try making soup. I understand it is probably warm in your corner of the world, so soup might not be that appealing, but it’s easy, it’s economical, and you can make a big batch and eat it throughout the week or freeze it for another time. Google has a lot of recipes- we like sweet potato leek soup (and in fact, we made some the other day from a giant purple sweet potato).

Well wishes,

V~

• Like 2

@SailorV Thanks for the suggestion, when I buy vegetables, I usually do so based on a variety of colours. Carrots and leafy greens are almost always on the shopping list. It's always nice to meet someone that understands through experience, though it's not something I would wish on anyone. I hope you are managing your challenges as well as, or better than, myself :)

Day 6 and 7 progress report

Both days have been very similar, in that both diet goals and my sleep goal have been on track, successfully sleeping on time and eating vegetables instead of bakery food or other junk. I'm still having troubles starting exercising on a given day. It still feels like something I have to do, rather than something I get to do. 
My stirfry from last week lasted longer than I anticipated, and with that combined with me eating less than usual, I only just cooked up my vegetables in another batch of stirfry tonight. Regrettably, the spinach had wilted and gone slimy, and I didn't want to risk eating it. Everything else seemed to be alright, so into the wok it went. The sweet potato (which we call kumara here in NZ), carrots, and swedes are still sitting in the bottom of my cupboard, I forgot I had them until after everything was cooked.

• Like 2

Okay my lovely, here is the basic recipe:

2 tbsp oil for frying

1 onion peeled and chopped

2 cloves garlic peeled and squashed (or if you don't have fresh garlic use 1/8 tsp garlic powder per clove)

2 tsp chopped fresh ginger (leave it out if you don't have any, don't use dried ginger)

1tbsp curry paste

1 sweet potato peeled and cubed

14oz can tomatoes (400g)

300 ml water or stock

225g mushrooms - I use chicken instead, or whatever mixed veg I have in the fridge - carrots, peppers, aubergine, green beans, corn, anything really!

225g spinach roughly shredded

4tbsp peanut butter

So, heat your oil and fry your onions, garlic and ginger together for 5 - 10 mins, add the curry paste and fry another min.

Add the sweet potato and chicken if using, cook 5 mins.

Add tomatoes and stock/water and simmer for about 10 minutes

Add the mushrooms or mixed veg and simmer until they're all cooked through, maybe another 10 mins

Mix a few spoons of the liquid from the pan with the peanut butter to soften it, then add it all back to the pan, stirring thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper

Add your spinach to the pan, stir until it's wilted, and then eat :) We have this with rice, or bulghur, or sometimes I make it really runny so it's a bit like a thick soup, and have it with bread for the juices :)

if it gets too thick just add more water until it's a consistency you like. If you have any fresh coriander this is also nice added with the spinach. This makes about five or six servings.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Hmm. I'm getting slack with my progress reports. This is my second one in four days... I know it's not essential to do them daily, but I feel it's important to keep posting or I throw away all my accountability :D

Let's see... Yesterday, my day 8, went alright. I woke up at 8, which is getting normal for me now. I went to bed at close to 10pm, which is a huge step forward. It took me quite a while to get to sleep, but I'm pleased with myself. Still no bakery food, and I had my serving of stir fry to count as vegetables. My IF was a little rough, as I ate when I woke up, which meant that I had to stop eating at 4pm. I was getting rather hungry about 9pm, but after sleeping, I wasn't hungry anymore. Strange. My exercise/fitness goals seem to have gone completely out the window, as it's been about 4 days since I last went for a zombies walk or did any bodyweight exercising. Today I walked to an appointment and back, which was roughly 3km/1.8 miles each way, so I am doing something active.

As for the rest of today, day 9, I woke up nice and early around 7:30. I took longer than I'd like to actually get out bed, but it's a start. For my course starting in a month I'll need to be up and out the door by 7. I haven't eaten my vegetables yet, but they are warming up in the microwave for dinner now. I had some good news today, and had a little bit of money that I could use to celebrate/treat myself. I was seriously tempted by sweet slices/other bakery food that are my usual downfall, but I decided to get a can of fruit salad instead. Planning on another 10pm bedtime tonight, get used to it early then move that time back as necessary in order to get up before 7am. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DiegoVulpes said:

My exercise/fitness goals seem to have gone completely out the window, as it's been about 4 days since I last went for a zombies walk or did any bodyweight exercising. T

Exercise today! Forget about yesterday!

12 hours ago, DiegoVulpes said:

I had some good news today, and had a little bit of money that I could use to celebrate/treat myself. I was seriously tempted by sweet slices/other bakery food 

Yay for good news and a special treat! Good job fighting off temptation! Let's think about a list of ways to treat yourself now before the next time happens... then you can just pick something from your list and the fight will be easier. What makes you smile? What makes you feel good about yourself? I know it's hard to think of something as satisfying as a sugary treat, but the brain's pleasure center can be stimulated in a variety of ways. One way is getting your body to release oxytocin (the feel good chemical that's released most often through relational activities with other people). Here are some ideas... give a gift to someone else, listen with your eyes (people watch or have a conversation with one person while really looking at them mindfully), pet a dog, hug someone, take a compliment walk (give a compliment to people you run into to draw a smile), tell someone you love them, ride a roller coaster (or do something else scary/exciting). Or just treat yourself in some other regular way like buy yourself a new book, or a fun pair of socks, or a new computer game, or whatever else floats your goat!

There, that's my unsolicited advice for the day! Lol. Hope it's not annoying! I'm a wannabe neuropsychologist so it's fun for me to apply brain science to practical action. #nerdalert

Day 10 progress report (though it's a bit early to account for the whole day)

Today is going superbly ^^ I only went to sleep at 11:30 last night, but I was up and out of bed this morning at 7:30. Not only that, but I then went for my third zombie walk/jog, came home  and had a shower, put a load of laundry on, and it's only 9:45! The zombie walk was a pretty good pace too. I traveled 5.13 km (3.19 miles) in 44:26, giving me a pace of 8 minutes 40 seconds per km. That's 20 seconds under my 9 minute goal :) It was still the walk-run drills, but in the free form run I walked three minutes, then jogged for 2, walked for 3, jogged for about 30 seconds before I couldn't do much more and walked the rest of the way home.

I've got a serving of stir fry with my name on it, so vege goal will be successful today. And no money (or desire, really) to go to the bakery, so that's a successful day all around!

3 hours ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

Let's think about a list of ways to treat yourself now before the next time happens... then you can just pick something from your list and the fight will be easier. What makes you smile? What makes you feel good about yourself? I know it's hard to think of something as satisfying as a sugary treat, but the brain's pleasure center can be stimulated in a variety of ways. One way is getting your body to release oxytocin (the feel good chemical that's released most often through relational activities with other people). Here are some ideas... give a gift to someone else, listen with your eyes (people watch or have a conversation with one person while really looking at them mindfully), pet a dog, hug someone, take a compliment walk (give a compliment to people you run into to draw a smile), tell someone you love them, ride a roller coaster (or do something else scary/exciting). Or just treat yourself in some other regular way like buy yourself a new book, or a fun pair of socks, or a new computer game, or whatever else floats your goat!

There, that's my unsolicited advice for the day! Lol. Hope it's not annoying! I'm a wannabe neuropsychologist so it's fun for me to apply brain science to practical action. #nerdalert

Most of the time, I struggle to think of things that I enjoy. I enjoy things in the moment, but when I reflect/analyse them, any enjoyment is drowned in a feeling of apathy. The things I remember fondly (indoor rock climbing and archery are the first things that come to mind) cost quite a bit of money to participate in. That won't be a problem when I get a job (after completing my course/s), but while I'm on social welfare (government payments) I don't think I'll be able to do those sorts of things. Similarly, treating myself with a new game, or book, or other things, is pretty restricted at the moment. 

Your advice is super welcomed. I feel like I'm not contributing to the rebels, just taking all the support people are willing to give me. I'm not supporting others the way I feel I should be. For that, I apologise.

• Like 1

Been a little while since I've posted, probably because not much has changed. I've been having egg and banana based meals for breakfast, and vege based meals in the evening. Apart from one slip up night, I've been going to bed as planned. I've been getting lazy about getting out of bed in the morning though. I need to nip that in the bud. No bakery food. I'm thinking about it as an option for food less and less. As for exercise... It's still not as much as I feel I should be doing, but I'm at least getting outside for a walk each day. Usually with some purpose (like today I went and bought myself some bathroom scales and a measuring tape from the local store), so I don't really consider it "exercise" because I'm not doing it with the purpose of "getting fit".

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 5:40 AM, DiegoVulpes said:

when I buy vegetables, I usually do so based on a variety of colours

I sometimes make color-themed batch cooking.  Like I had a 'yellow meal' of yellow onions, yellow squash, yellow curry powder, etc.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 12:27 AM, DiegoVulpes said:

so I don't really consider it "exercise" because I'm not doing it with the purpose of "getting fit".

It does count, if it's movement you didn't do before, even if you're not doing it to 'get fit', it still counts. Keeping busy and moving during the day makes it easier to keep fit in the long term.