The Courtyard (Monk's General Chat)

RisenPhoenix

Ladies and Gentleman and Everything Else Under the Sun!

Challenge starts January First! Unless you are totally unprepared, in which case it starts January 8th!

Either way, write 'em up, and babble about random amazing holiday gifts here.

Personally, I'm excited to use my Death Star waffle iron on New Year's Day.

• Like 4

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

6 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Either way, write 'em up, and babble about random amazing holiday gifts here.

doctor-who-series-10-capaldi-mackie-bill

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

4 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

doctor-who-series-10-capaldi-mackie-bill

Did you get a TARDIS?  Because I would love to get one of those as well.  Are they sold by Amazon, perhaps?

• Like 2

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 12/29/2017 at 2:25 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Did you get a TARDIS?  Because I would love to get one of those as well.  Are they sold by Amazon, perhaps?

I wouldn't bother with Amazon - the two-day shipping applies, but they can't guarantee when it'll leave the warehouse.  Could be tomorrow, could be in four centuries.

• Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I got a lot of cookbooks (I mentioned offhand to my mother that I'm in a rut food-wise and could do with some ideas for healthy food. Six - no, I am not exaggerating, six - cookbooks later, I'm pretty sure I'm set for the next century. Good news is my mom seems to have accepted that healthy eating is a lifestyle for me now and focused them on stuff I'll actually use as opposed to getting me cookbooks on how to make sweets so I can "treat myself now and then."), one of those ReMarkable tablet thingies (overpriced fad stuff, buuut this way I'll be able to get fiction writing and brainstorming done on flights so I can't complain even if I'm sure my folks paid way more than the hardware is worth), some cash, and some exercise kit, a book from my partner as well as a very nice coat and shirt from my partner's folks. 

My folks always go overboard and I always try to convince them they don't need to... But I'm not the needy kid (that'd be my sister, whose business is her own but let's just say every family has the one who seems to find all the trouble there is to find and make some extra if there's not enough and my sister is that one for our family... at least three quarters of her troubles are just rotten luck, but yeah long story short and without breaching her privacy, my folks have their hands full with her) so they tend to forget about me a lot of the year which makes them guilty which makes them go overboard in gifts at Xmas. One of these years I'll convince them not to. This year is not that year, it seems. 

Anyway, between the cash and another windfall, I can move up the Pay Off Credit Card Completely epic quest by 6mo, which has me feeling very happy. 

• Like 1

I got a t-shirt, oil paints and a Bob Ross brush set, and I bought myself a meatfood slicer. The joys of being a parent at Crimbo. :D  I guess my gifts are more intangible... we bought a piano for my youngest (like a 25 year old electric model, but it has full range, weighted keys, GREAT sound), we got all new high-quality MMA pads and wraps for my oldest, and the middle one got a craaaaaaapload of discontinued Playmobil, which she absolutely loves. Our basement is like the world's smallest Ikea right now. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

12 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

THAT IS SO ADORABLE AND I MUST SNUGGLE WITH IT.

We have a dog-friendly workplace, and this puppy is directly in line of sight from my desk, so every once in a while I look over and I am so overcome by the very same sentiments that I can't get anything done.  At all.  One time she was sleeping with her tongue sticking out and I had to drop everything and come over to pet her.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Jigme said:

We have a dog-friendly workplace, and this puppy is directly in line of sight from my desk, so every once in a while I look over and I am so overcome by the very same sentiments that I can't get anything done.  At all.  One time she was sleeping with her tongue sticking out and I had to drop everything and come over to pet her.

Oh man, it's a good thing I can't bring my dog to work. It's bad enough that he's only 1/4 mile from my office. :D

What Kishi said.  Needed but not any opinions I can give. (Partially because aikido doesn't really need them - groin hits happen, but rarely.  Though hip throws sometimes get uncomfortably close....)

• Like 1