• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Real Syl Mil

Syl wants to breathe

Hi again! Soooo apparently I posted in the wrong place before. Here is my do-over...

Ok so I'm a 39 year old sign language interpreter living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. I love cartoons, animals, living closer to the earth, crocheting random crazy things, singing and languages. And 8 million other things, as my curiosity and interests have no end. I also would love to be an urban homesteader, but I just don't have the property for it. I did get my very own chickens this year, though, and they started laying eggs 2 weeks ago! What could be more exciting?! :D 

I didn't realize how international this challenge would be until I started reading all of your posts! That makes me so much more excited! One of my bigger LUYL goals is to get back to traveling. So you all are inspiring me with your exotic locations. :)  Before I got married 10 years ago, I was quite the adventurer. I traveled wherever I wanted whenever I felt like it (at  great detriment to my finances). After getting married, I just couldn't afford to pay for two travelers, so that went to the wayside. Apparently I'm a super slow learner when it comes to behavioral discipline, which bleeds into every area of my life. I'm only now finally deciding to buckle down and get my life (and money) under control. Physical discipline is one thing that I believe will help me become more disciplined in other areas (like finance...again!) and getting to bigger goals like moving to a new place where I can build my urban homestead! I am also planning to visit Guam in May to attend my big brother's Navy retirement ceremony, which is desperately important to me.

In September, I had a spontaneous lung collapse! This was the first time I was ever admitted to the hospital. It caused me to be completely sedentary (more than usual!) for the past 3 months. I have always been so independent and this has really wreaked havoc on my body and my sense of self. SO now that I've gotten cleared by the doctor to exercise, I decided to join up with NF and rebuild my lung capacity and physical endurance. I don't care how much I weight or how in shape I am. I just want to be able to breathe again!! I got a gym membership through work where I can go to many different gyms, which I'm hoping will help keep things interesting. I absolutely HATE the idea of going to the gym, but I'm determined to do so. (And I've already been twice this week! First 2 times in my life!) 

So my goals for this challenge are about building sustainable habits and getting money saved for my trip to Guam.

1) Go to the gym 3xs a week

2) Declutter one day each weekend - a big project, not just 1 or 2 things

3) Do 2 side jobs a month

4) No more coffee shops - deposit $5 a week

Oh one other thing... I am allergic to most sugars (even some natural sugars) and have been eating sugar-free for about 10 years. If anyone needs tips or tricks around that, feel free to ask. I really encourage people who are trying to live a sugar-free lifestyle! It has so many positive effects that we don't even realize! I haven't really struggled with my weight since I quit sugar, my emotions are more stable, my skin looks better and I'm even less stinky... I mean seriously, I didn't even wear deodorant to the gym this week, if you can believe that!

Ok enough wordiness. Sorry! Sorry folks! Happy New Year and Happy challenging!!!

• Like 2

Welcome to Nerd Fitness!

These are some great goals and I can relate to the positive effects that cutting sugars out of a diet can have on a body.  I went pretty strict Paleo for awhile a few years ago, I want to say the better part of a year, so not even eating processed carbs... which are sugars... such as rice, potatoes, etc.  Other effects I was suprised with, minus the obvious weight stabilization, included no "highs and lows" AKA sugar crashed, I just had a steady energy about me all day long... mood stabilization, I think I was getting "hangry" less often, clearer complexion, etc etc the list goes on and on.  It's great, but takes some willpower to get into in the first place haha!

Best of luck in your fitness journey!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Baxtan said:

It's great, but takes some willpower to get into in the first place haha!

I know, right? If I didn't have horrible allergic reactions to sugar, I doubt I would have ever been able to quit eating it. I can still have rice, pasta, some breads... thank GOD. Mucho props to people out there who do it by will power!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Scary stuff on the collapsed lung but I'm excited to hear about you rebuilding. What do you get up to at the gym?

Yeah super scary. But on the upswing now! I have no idea what I'm doing at the gym. LOL. First day I did 20 sloooow minutes on the treadmill, some free weights for biceps & triceps and some yoga. Yesterday the gym trainer took me through the Nautilus machines and then I did 2 full circuits of that. My plan is basically to just keep slowly upping my cardio while monitoring how my breathing responds. (The first day I coughed for an hour afterwards. :( But the nautilus stuff didn't bother me at all...even though I got my heart rate up a bit.) Oh yeah, and in between the 2 gym visits, I did Wii Active for about 15 minutes. Eventually I want to be able to tolerate enough cardio to start swimming laps. But as long as I'm moving, I'll count it a win, for now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

Yeah super scary. But on the upswing now! I have no idea what I'm doing at the gym. LOL. First day I did 20 sloooow minutes on the treadmill, some free weights for biceps & triceps and some yoga. Yesterday the gym trainer took me through the Nautilus machines and then I did 2 full circuits of that. My plan is basically to just keep slowly upping my cardio while monitoring how my breathing responds. (The first day I coughed for an hour afterwards. :( But the nautilus stuff didn't bother me at all...even though I got my heart rate up a bit.) Oh yeah, and in between the 2 gym visits, I did Wii Active for about 15 minutes. Eventually I want to be able to tolerate enough cardio to start swimming laps. But as long as I'm moving, I'll count it a win, for now.

I'm a yuuuuge fan of your pragmatism! Just remember, if you don't drop the words "bro", "dude", or "son" during your workout, it doesn't count. I recommend getting it all out in the beginning so you don't forget. "Good morning my fine bro-dudeson".

Image result for gym bro gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Laghail said:

I'm a yuuuuge fan of your pragmatism! Just remember, if you don't drop the words "bro", "dude", or "son" during your workout, it doesn't count. I recommend getting it all out in the beginning so you don't forget. "Good morning my fine bro-dudeson".

BWAHAHAHA! Got it! 

• Like 1

hey and welcome! Pittsburgh is one of my favorite cities of all time, btw. I lived there for a few years while in grad school and have some dear friends who still live there and who I try to visit often!

glad you're here and love your perspective moving forward from that scary lung collapse!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, karinajean said:

hey and welcome! Pittsburgh is one of my favorite cities of all time, btw. I lived there for a few years while in grad school and have some dear friends who still live there and who I try to visit often!

glad you're here and love your perspective moving forward from that scary lung collapse!

Hey thanks! I'm trying to stay positive! Pittsburgh is pretty great. I'm originally from northern NY. Pittsburgh has officially sucked me in...

• Like 1

Those are some awesome goals and seem very doable too. I went with insight timer for meditation. I also need to declutter my office and garage. lol  Cutting the coffee should be a good start to saving money for your trip. Good luck

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Enforcer25 said:

Those are some awesome goals and seem very doable too. I went with insight timer for meditation. I also need to declutter my office and garage. lol  Cutting the coffee should be a good start to saving money for your trip. Good luck

Awesome! I really love Insight Timer. It has everything! Decluttering is good for the soul. And I'm not cutting out all the coffee! *gasp* That would be like virtual death! Lol. Just making it from home more. :):D  But seriously it has already been difficult. When I'm out and about my brain is saying "don'tgetcoffeedon'tgetcoffeedon'tgetcoffee" just to get through! I clearly have a problem.

• Like 1

I don't drink coffee, but I love energy drinks, I usually like to buy some on my days off, so I'm going to stop those for a month and hopefully longer. I have cut out all soft drinks, was difficult in the beginning, but don't miss them anymore. Making coffee at home is great to help in your goal of saving money. I'm going to play with insight tomorrow. Decluttering is great and will tackle that next challenge.

• Like 1

So I'm already running into a bit of a challenge... rest days. I started my goals last week, cuz that's how I roll. On Thursday, I did a full body workout and took Friday off for a rest day. Well of course, the momentum I had started hit the wall immediately. After 3 days of being active in a row, I did NOTHING Friday, Saturday and today will end up that way because it's a sports-watching day and holiday with my husband. I think I will be able to get back into it tomorrow, but I would love some tips on this so that I don't find myself losing momentum again if I need to have a recovery day. I feel like if I don't do something every single day, then I will get back in the habit of doing nothing! Any ideas?

46 minutes ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

I feel like if I don't do something every single day, then I will get back in the habit of doing nothing! Any ideas?

I am constantly in danger of doing this myself. I recently came across the idea of "No zero days", which (when actually put into practice :D) will keep me going. The concept is that each day, you achieve something. It could be doing housework. Cooking a meal for yourself. Going for a walk around the block. It doesn't have to be anything strenuous, just something so you don't lose momentum :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DiegoVulpes said:

"No zero days"

I think that's what I will have to do. I guess having a "professional trainer" tell me I needed to take a day off made me second guess what is best for me. I saw someone else post about an "active recovery day". Maybe I will just be sure to walk my dog on those days or something! Thanks!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

think I will be able to get back into it tomorrow, but I would love some tips on this so that I don't find myself losing momentum again if I need to have a recovery day. I feel like if I don't do something every single day, then I will get back in the habit of doing nothing! Any ideas?

Hello! How did today go (or how is it going, I'm crap when it comes to time differences :) ) I hope you managed to regain your momentum!

I'm of a similar mindset I think, if I don't do anything, even if it's technically a rest day, I start to feel guilty and then think "What's the point, I failed today, I'll start again Monday!" Maybe on rest days you could take a stroll somewhere with your husband, bit of light exercise that is also good for the soul. That said when me and K do that we usually stroll to a bar...

Keep up the good work!!!

On 12/29/2017 at 10:29 AM, The Real Syl Mil said:

1) Go to the gym 3xs a week

2) Declutter one day each weekend - a big project, not just 1 or 2 things

3) Do 2 side jobs a month

4) No more coffee shops - deposit $5 a week

Day one update:

I guess with the way my goals are structured, a weekly update will be more effective. But I need accountability, so I may check in more often.

I PLANNED to go to the gym today, but I chickened out. The one I started going to last week is closed for the New Year holiday and I wasn't sure if I could just show up at the other options I have. So in order to avoid a zero day (@DiegoVulpes) I did Wii Active for 15 mins. 15 mins sounds short, but it is actually a pretty perfect workout for where I'm at right now. And then I put 4 gym appointments in my calendar for the rest of the week, to help ensure that I actually go. 

I decluttered a lot over the past weekend so I will count that as a win for this week. But I can do some more today just to be safe. :)

No side jobs planned for this week, but I got 2 new contracts last week and took care of all the paperwork! They should start rolling in any day now. Oh, and I already scheduled one for Jan 16...as long as rate negotiations succeed. So Yay! Well on my way!

3 minutes ago, Mab said:

Hello! How did today go (or how is it going, I'm crap when it comes to time differences :) ) I hope you managed to regain your momentum!

I'm of a similar mindset I think, if I don't do anything, even if it's technically a rest day, I start to feel guilty and then think "What's the point, I failed today, I'll start again Monday!" Maybe on rest days you could take a stroll somewhere with your husband, bit of light exercise that is also good for the soul. That said when me and K do that we usually stroll to a bar...

Keep up the good work!!!

Lol,. But if you stroll to a bar, then your wine goal might be compromised! I posted at the same time you did. Lol. So you can see that I got moving a bit today. And that lead to getting dressed, even! (Who gets dressed on New Year's Day?! That's gotta be some kind of record...) Thanks for checking in!

• Like 1

Hey there! Congratulations on starting your challenge early, and best of luck with the whole breathing thing! I hope it works out for you! ;-)

Losing momentum is a huge challenge for me, so I'll be looking into the "active rest days" you mention. Also, I'm really hoping that my plans for daily tracking will help keep me...errr...on track. I'm a sucker for a gold star, if you know what I mean!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, KayLou said:

Hey there! Congratulations on starting your challenge early, and best of luck with the whole breathing thing! I hope it works out for you! ;-)

Losing momentum is a huge challenge for me, so I'll be looking into the "active rest days" you mention. Also, I'm really hoping that my plans for daily tracking will help keep me...errr...on track. I'm a sucker for a gold star, if you know what I mean!

Thanks! I love me a gold star, too. Lol. Nerds unite! Here is the simple way I'm tracking...IMG_5761.JPG.2d9d13dfabdd72cf03761becfbd368cb.JPG

• Like 1

Made it to the gym today! I actually looked forward to it and enjoyed myself. *gasp* It is a nice way to get away from everyone and everything.  I didn't anticipate that! I did have a hard time breathing today, but it wasn't like I couldn't continue. It just looked like I was half asleep, yawning my way through my workout. Lol. And of course, my Garmin VIvosmart arrived in the mail AFTER I got home from the gym. 

Tomorrow I have a coffee date with a friend. Hmm. That will be in conflict with my goals...but I haven't figured out how to manage that piece yet. I am a freelancer and entrepreneur and often meet up with colleagues and mentees out in the community...at coffee shops. Some people I've been able to ask to meet in our homes instead, but tomorrow just worked out this way. Any suggestions for where to have meetings without spending money on coffee??

Oh I also got my rate negotiations completed for my second new side job. And I started getting job requests from my first new side job. Woot! Moving right along!

On 12/31/2017 at 2:14 PM, The Real Syl Mil said:

I think I will be able to get back into it tomorrow, but I would love some tips on this so that I don't find myself losing momentum again if I need to have a recovery day. I feel like if I don't do something every single day, then I will get back in the habit of doing nothing! Any idea

I saw you already got some good advice, i would like to add this, which i came across recently it does apply to being scared that a rest day will turn into a rest week...

A year has 365 days, don't let one bad day influence all the others!

On 1/2/2018 at 9:44 PM, The Real Syl Mil said:

Any suggestions for where to have meetings without spending money on coffee??

I don't drink coffee as i can't stand the taste, so i can tell you, 9 out 10 times a place that serves coffee also serves tea, which might not be much of cos reduction but would be a lot better for sticking to low coffee goal.

• Like 3

On 1/1/2018 at 11:21 AM, The Real Syl Mil said:

I guess with the way my goals are structured, a weekly update will be more effective. But I need accountability, so I may check in more often.

check in all the time!!! this is your space, and honestly you posting here is helping to build the L1 community and gives everyone else in the forum a boost as well. (no pressure lol)

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 4:18 AM, Mr_Willes said:

I don't drink coffee as i can't stand the taste, so i can tell you, 9 out 10 times a place that serves coffee also serves tea, which might not be much of cos reduction but would be a lot better for sticking to low coffee goal.

Alas, it's all about the money... Maybe I can bring a cup of coffee with me and then the shop won't get mad because my colleague is making a purchase...