• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

lucky fire dragon

luckyfiredragon shifts shape

10 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I consider my English skills quite good, but everytime I hear hubby explain this or that grammar rule (especially on tenses) to our kids or another student, I sit there like "Oh! Never knew that" which is kind of cool to keep learning this way. He's actually busy right now writing a book with his favorite teaching clues for his students and hacks for basic grammar skills, because he says there is no book like that he knows of. They are all either school book lines for many years of learning in bits and pieces or hard-core grammar books. From what I've seen it'll be a real fun book with games to play and all the tricks of how to learn that worked really well for his students so far (he's been teaching private and business students for more than 10 years now) I'll obviously have to translate it into German once he's finished, otherwise it won't be much good for new learners, and I'm already excited because I know I will learn so much again.

I learned English as 2nd language here, so very few rules and more sight reading and knowing the tenses off by heart. And with a LOT of English reading I can tell when I need which tenses. Now that I'm going through 1st language English with the boys, these little rhymes and rules pop up which is amazing! Like last week the boys learned "when two vowels go a-walking, the first vowel does the talking" to know how to say words like "leak", "boat", "soap".

Oh, oh, how will your husband advertise his book when he is done? I want to buy a copy please! (In English ;) ). I could also advertise among the HS community here if he wants, maybe get a bunch of orders in if I can, and then buy a pack of books from him and send it out. What I did with the math books basically.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

meaning they don't have to talk to anybody and wow, that is such a cool thing, people really enjoy that part!

It sounds terrifying to me. Spending that much time alone with my brain, with no distractions... Eek!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I want to buy a copy please! (In English ;) ).

I would totally be in to this also. I learned how to read before I remember, so I love accumulating tricks for teaching others.

• Like 1

On 22.1.2018 at 6:23 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

I learned English as 2nd language here, so very few rules and more sight reading and knowing the tenses off by heart. And with a LOT of English reading I can tell when I need which tenses. Now that I'm going through 1st language English with the boys, these little rhymes and rules pop up which is amazing! Like last week the boys learned "when two vowels go a-walking, the first vowel does the talking" to know how to say words like "leak", "boat", "soap".

Such fun, isn't it? I never came across those though, but at least I got to enjoy Dr Seuss and other fun stories despite not having grown up with English :) I taught a few kids courses for small groups where I could include our kids, too, and we sang songs, read books and played games mostly as it was for ages 5 - 8 years. Dr Seuss was really great for that, of course. Also the books by Julia Donaldson, the Gruffalo having been our absolute favorite! Aaaah, fun times :)

9781405092357_2.jpg

On 22.1.2018 at 6:23 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh, oh, how will your husband advertise his book when he is done? I want to buy a copy please! (In English ;) ). I could also advertise among the HS community here if he wants, maybe get a bunch of orders in if I can, and then buy a pack of books from him and send it out. What I did with the math books basically.

On 23.1.2018 at 12:19 AM, annyshay said:

I would totally be in to this also. I learned how to read before I remember, so I love accumulating tricks for teaching others.

Wow, that is very kind of you!! We haven't really thought that much about the advertising yet as his students have already pre-ordered as well and the companies where he teaches want some, too, so we are kind of hoping, it'll spread from there. We're going to get them printed ourselves instead of trying to find a publisher and rather print in small editions as to not invest too much money up front. And then we can see how they do.

He's still on it, but once he's done I'll let you know so that we can see for your English copies :) thanks for your enthusiam and interest!

On 22.1.2018 at 5:36 PM, Mad Hatter said:

It sounds terrifying to me. Spending that much time alone with my brain, with no distractions... Eek!

:lol: I can imagine! It is a very scary thing for many people, then again some of them want to come especially because... kind of like going to a fire walk event :P  Well, that is why I always try to provide a good range: enough freedom without interference for those who are loving the silence as is and yet enough guidance, support and activity for those who are glad for it. In the end, even those who were scared to start with usually loved it and some of them even wished, it could have gone for longer. Which is pretty nice ^_^ But I know it's not everyone's thing and I wouldn't ever want to push anyone to come who doesn't feel drawn.

You'd probably be okay with the yoga parts and I do bring a hula hoop and my feet up along ;) Also there's soap bubbles to play with, nice walks to go on and maybe even trees to climb... but then you don't need to go to a silent retreat for that.

On 22.1.2018 at 6:25 PM, Elastigirl said:

71,000 steps woot! ANd congrats on the weight loss too!

Thanks! I'm glad I celebrated while it lasted :P was nearly back to 70 kg a few days ago and was today for the first time this whole week under 69kg again, well it was 68.9 kg.... after an hour running... but I'll count it anyhow.

Guess it's mostly water weight ups and downs, but I won't let it discourage me, because I am doing as much as I can right now and if I feel, it's too little and yet don't see much chances for me doing more, than I'll just give up and that would be pathetic

Well, I guess I could do more, but the thing is then my can of willpower goes into that instead of work and I really want to prioritize work right now. Which is going well so that's a yay too :)

1 hour ago, sylph said:

Hey, how're things going?

How're things going with you?! You did absolutely AMAZING!!! 

I don't have much to show for :D

But I am doing well as well, thanks.

Have been a rotten support this challenge, I know :( But hey there are more coming, I'll try to do better next time.

Week 4 summary coming up now

• Like 2

WEEK 4 

xY534.gif

Daily 10  - 5/7

This is the first week I have missed some days :( wouldn't have been necessary either, the one day I simply forgot and another I was too tired at night which is basically forgetting as well because I could have just done them earlier in the day

Routine mostly went like 

Chin ups from tip toe 3/2/2/2/1, today was 4/2/2/1/1 yay
10 knee push ups

10 Knee tucks from hanging 

Yoga/Aerial  - 150/120 min

I did the thing :triumphant: went to class twice, hah! First time was the usual 90 min yoga class on Tuesday, then on Thursday I think I'm early but somehow everyone's is at their mats already and the are standing (?) I thought never mind and we started with a standing mobilisation and warm up instead of beginning relaxation and breathing exercises, then sun salutations but only 4 rounds instead of 6 and it hits me: this is the Pilates/Yoga class not the regular yoga! Fortunatelly it wasn't the 90 minute class but only 60 min, so I survived :lol: actually did okay, and felt really good afterwards, just took some of the easier variations because I really am not as strong as I used to be and I'd rather swallow my pride and do the moves with good form than try and be up for something, I can't do properly at the moment. With that it was really good, I might actually by intention aim for it again this week :)

tenor.gif?itemid=7325993

10 000 steps - 4/7 days - total for week 59 000

not a great week on this one either... the 3 days where I didn't make my goal were simply too low to be balanced out even (they had only 4000 or 4500 per day) I don't know what was going on at the beginning of the week, but I was just soooooo tired :o took some naps and over the course of the week it did pick up. Now I feel fine again. Not sure what caused what.

30 minutes writing - 7/7

another 11 hours over the course of the week actually so well more than scheduled :)

4TW is motivating of course, but mostly it is watching hubby write so vigorously on his English Grammar book - he wrote over 90 A4 pages in one month!! And he's still not finished, I'll have a lot to translate coming up :o 

So I see him sitting there and then I tackle my projects and as I start, I find myself thinking of more and more to add as well. Sometimes I do wonder if any of it is really any good, but then I ignore that and just finish whatever I'm on before I forget. I can still delete later, for now I'm gathering and getting clearer on things as I write - I hope. Man, sometimes I reread old things and think "Wow, this is actually really good, this is much clearer and to the point than what I wrote just now!" and wham instead of enjoying what I have I belittle what's fresh... stupid brain.

20957106.gif

Meditation - 7/7 

Most days meditation is nice. Some days I have to really reign my mind in as it tries to go all over the place, but I usually manage some time within the 45 minutes, where I can really be present and it feels quite good. But today, today ... it was MAGNIFICENT!! From the start I could feel the top of my head tingling super actively, I have that a lot in meditation, so it's a familiar feeling but today it was really intense, and then it was like the heart center, the throat, the center of my head, wherever my attention went, there it would tingle so strongly and it felt like being connected to a powerful current. Funny thing, it was stronger in the right half of my body than in my left and as I wondered what was it with the left, paying it more attention all of a sudden BOOOM all of it opens up and I feel like I'm flooded with a deep love from the inside out. Not the having a crush/being in love kind of love, but more the life is so beautiful/I love this kind of love full of awe and wonder. And it stayed like that the entire meditation which is 45 minutes :o it was utterly amazing, maybe that's why today I did not feel tired at all ^_^

• Like 9

19 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

actually did okay, and felt really good afterwards, just took some of the easier variations because I really am not as strong as I used to be and I'd rather swallow my pride and do the moves with good form than try and be up for something, I can't do properly at the moment. With that it was really good, I might actually by intention aim for it again this week :)

Yesss, this is the smart thing, even if it is a hard thing sometimes. :)

• Like 1

On 1/28/2018 at 9:30 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

Routine mostly went like 

Chin ups from tip toe 3/2/2/2/1, today was 4/2/2/1/1 yay
10 knee push ups

10 Knee tucks from hanging 

Good going! Amazing, actually :loyal:

I did the thing :triumphant: went to class twice, hah!

Woot! Woot!

And it stayed like that the entire meditation which is 45 minutes :o it was utterly amazing, maybe that's why today I did not feel tired at all ^_^

Sounds amazing! Glad you had such a good feeling and day.

• Like 1

Glad to see you are going strong, especially with the realization you are note where you used to be. Keep this up and you will be back there in no-time.

On 28-1-2018 at 8:30 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

I don't know what was going on at the beginning of the week, but I was just soooooo tired :o took some naps and over the course of the week it did pick up.

Handled like a boss!!! Keep this in mind:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor goal expectation reality

• Like 3

On 1/28/2018 at 8:52 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

:lol: I can imagine! It is a very scary thing for many people, then again some of them want to come especially because... kind of like going to a fire walk event :P  Well, that is why I always try to provide a good range: enough freedom without interference for those who are loving the silence as is and yet enough guidance, support and activity for those who are glad for it. In the end, even those who were scared to start with usually loved it and some of them even wished, it could have gone for longer. Which is pretty nice ^_^ But I know it's not everyone's thing and I wouldn't ever want to push anyone to come who doesn't feel drawn.

You'd probably be okay with the yoga parts and I do bring a hula hoop and my feet up along ;) Also there's soap bubbles to play with, nice walks to go on and maybe even trees to climb... but then you don't need to go to a silent retreat for that.

Heh yeah I can see how people would do it to face their fears kind of thing. But if I'd ever try something like this I'd make sure it's with someone like you, you make it sound slightly less intimidating. :) 

xY534.gif

This is really cool.

On 1/29/2018 at 4:53 PM, raptron said:

Very smart indeed.

• Like 2

On 28/1/2018 at 8:30 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

but more the life is so beautiful/I love this kind of love full of awe and wonder.

I love it so much when this happens :wub: Not necessarily during meditation (which never happened to me, by the way), but anytime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zenLara said:

I love it so much when this happens :wub: Not necessarily during meditation (which never happened to me, by the way), but anytime.

Have Lucky make you a meditation. I dare you. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29.1.2018 at 3:53 PM, raptron said:

On 31.1.2018 at 3:38 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Very smart indeed.

That's what kept my pride going :D pondering how smart I was being... because it is really embarrassing to be the only one of the whole group side planking from knees instead of feet :shame: but on the second round the girl next to me switched to knees as well mwahahaha, I blame it on my "smart" example

On 30.1.2018 at 8:48 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

Good going! Amazing, actually :loyal:

Woot! Woot!

Sounds amazing! Glad you had such a good feeling and day.

Thank you! Gotta celebrate them while they are there :)

On 31.1.2018 at 9:06 AM, Mr_Willes said:

Glad to see you are going strong, especially with the realization you are note where you used to be. Keep this up and you will be back there in no-time.

Handled like a boss!!! Keep this in mind:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor goal expectation reality

True!! And if that is the case then I am finishing the challenge like a boss :P just kidding, I was sick all week. Probably should not have gone for that run in the cold last Sunday because from Monday on I had a cough and dizzy head as soon as I moved to quickly, bleh. Thought it no big deal, I'll nap it off like a boss and get done whatever I can, but Tuesday wasn't any better. Neither was Wednesday, Thursday or Friday :( by then I started to get a little worried, because I've seen quite a few people around me fighting flu and the like for 3 or more weeks :o but today thankfully I am finally better again. Whew!

Success was a really squiggly line this week for sure.

On 31.1.2018 at 3:38 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Heh yeah I can see how people would do it to face their fears kind of thing. But if I'd ever try something like this I'd make sure it's with someone like you, you make it sound slightly less intimidating. :) 

Awww, thank you, that is a sweet thing to say! I'd take the best possible care of you for sure :love_heart:

This is really cool.

Isn't it?! I watched it for quite a while before posting. So mesmerizing :D

• Like 2

7 hours ago, zenLara said:

well that is where it counts the most, doesn't it?! Outside of meditation. I have that, too, and it's often in the most mundane moments, when you'd expect it the least, isn't it? 
This time was really intense though :love-struck:

2 hours ago, annyshay said:

Have Lucky make you a meditation. I dare you. ;)

Lol, I can try. Glad you enjoyed (or are enjoying) yours :cheerful:

• Like 3

So I'm just popping in to catch up a bit, because I don't have much to report.

Although that is not strictly true... despite feeling under the weather I still managed my daily 10 for the first 3 days of the week, just in really small units spread out over the day.

Steps are non-existent really but writing moved along nicely and meditation was had nonetheless.

Yoga did not yet happen. Every time I bent down I got dizzy so I really thought it wouldn't be a good idea. But today I finally feel better even at night, so tomorrow I'm going to a 2 hour yoga workshop, which is easy going as it's one hour of Somatics Yoga (a bit similar to Feldenkrais, very slow and aiming for little effort but rather range of mobility) and one hour of working with various black rolls. Totally doable and I am totally going to count it :P

• Like 3

21 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Lol, I can try. Glad you enjoyed (or are enjoying) yours :cheerful:

I LOVE it. :love_heart:

Hope the feeling better trend continues!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Hope you are feeling better soon-soon. I'm impressed with what you did while feeling so woozy and under the weather.

You're amazing!

Thanks, now I think I painted the wrong picture, because I really didn't manage that much at all, but hey you pay me a compliment, I won't argue :D 

It was ridiculous though, on the days where I did still do my  daily 10, chin ups from tip toe I would manage two at a time with surprising ease whereas a pushup even from the knees would get me dizzy :blink: bodies are weird, aren't they?

Reading what all you manage in your everyday routines always blows my mind and inspires me so much :cheerful:

10 hours ago, zenLara said:

Sorry to hear you've been sick. This years colds and flu are quite a thing, it seems.

I hope you enjoyed your somatics yoga class :)

They really are! Luckily the upward trend is really continuing, so I got off early, whooohoooo :)

Yoga class was sooooooo good! Foam rolling is always a bit of a mixed pleasure :P but it wasn't too bad. Probably I haven't trained in like forever so there weren't any stiff muscles, the little up sides in life :lol:
Somatics I love. It gets me sorted out in any back tensions in no time AND it's basically just rolling around on the floor without taking strain. After having rested so much this past week I really needed something to get the kinks out but I don't think I would have been up for regular yoga yet. Or maybe I would have been, but then sick again tomorrow, so... Somatics was perfect, yay

5 hours ago, @mu said:

Same here, I'm also impressed by what you can manage despite being sick!

Thanks, but guys I didn't manage much at all!

Thanks also for popping by, I'm still catching up with everyone again, so I don't even know how your challenge went, sorry.
Hope you had a rocking happy good one!

4 hours ago, annyshay said:

I LOVE it. :love_heart:

YAY :cheerful:

4 hours ago, annyshay said:

Hope the feeling better trend continues!

It does, woot woot!

• Like 2

Yoga was really nice as mentioned and afterwards I hosted my monthly meditation evening for whoever wants to join. Well, all the last years it was evening centered around the work of the teacher I used to work with and over the last two years I slowly moved out of her organisation and team. However it was only last November that I found the courage to make it official and tell her I won't be working under her name and brand anymore. There were several reasons for it that all had to do with our work relationship rather than the content of her teachings, but over time I realized, I cannot seperate her teachings from my personal image of her as cleanly as I wanted to. So I stepped out altogether.

It was a bit tricky to explain to the clients and students who have been coming to me for many years, especially as I don't want to miscredit my former teacher in any way just because I had some issues with her on the business level... 

Somehow I managed and as my love for meditation and teaching it arose over the same time mostly (started guiding live meditations in summer 2016) people could watch me exploring my own ways more already, so the step got smaller and smaller.

However today was the first evening I hosted since my formal cut from the previous work and I wasn't entirely sure how to handle it and how people would respond. Some of them had been coming for years to the same style of evening event with me every month and here I come along and tell them I don't do it anymore. We'll "only" do meditation now :o 

And normally my meditations just flow out of me the moment we start, today I actually had to think, now what? Phew, I hadn't realized how much this evening meant to me and how it challenged me at the same time. But in the end it all went well, people did enjoy it and some of the newcomers said they want to come again and one of the people who've been coming for years said, she'll come for whatever I offer :redface: So now I'm relieved and happy and going to sleep well ^_^

• Like 4

9 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

And normally my meditations just flow out of me the moment we start, today I actually had to think, now what? Phew, I hadn't realized how much this evening meant to me and how it challenged me at the same time. But in the end it all went well, people did enjoy it and some of the newcomers said they want to come again and one of the people who've been coming for years said, she'll come for whatever I offer :redface: So now I'm relieved and happy and going to sleep well ^_^

After all the stress of changing and going on your own, but trying to do it in such a good way not to point fingers or bad mouthing, you got your just desserts! Appreciation and acceptance of you and your ways! :loyal: I'm so happy for you!

• Like 3

On 3-2-2018 at 7:36 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

I was sick all week. ...  but today thankfully I am finally better again. Whew!

Success was a really squiggly line this week for sure.

As long as this is the outcome you have only grown in the week. Ploughed through and ready to take it head on!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

After all the stress of changing and going on your own, but trying to do it in such a good way not to point fingers or bad mouthing, you got your just desserts! Appreciation and acceptance of you and your ways! :loyal: I'm so happy for you!

^This!^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1