• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PollyannaAgain

Pollyanna Starts Fresh

Happy New Year's! Wooo! I'm still hammering out my goals for the year, so this challenge isn't exactly related to them...but it is sorta. This challenge, I'm working on getting my head and my heart back on track. I think stress is holding me back, preventing me from losing weight and also causing some other issues. I have other minor things I'm doing in the background that I'll note too, but my challenge is:

1. Meditate daily: I've already started working on this, and so far, so good. I'm using an app that is linked to Achievement, so I earn points (that become money later) each time I do.
  2. Complete the exercises in the self-compassion workbook I bought: I tried to work on it a week or so ago, but it made me cry and I was at work, so I need to pick a better time to try to work on it. I already bought a small notebook to dedicate to the exercises.
  3. Earn at least 10 points on Achievement per day: I can do that by--
    • Track food in MFP--6 points/day--Maybe I'll tinker with meal planning/prepping again?
    • Track activity (steps, etc)--? points/day (It says "up to 80" not what the increments are...)--Going to build up my steps again, work on Focused Flexibility, and maybe do a bodyweight workout every once in a while. The gym is going to be stupid for a while, so might as well work from wherever for this month.
    • Take measurements--6 points/day (weight, body fat, etc.)--I'm only using this one once a week though. I was going to do once a month, but I think I need to pay closer attention to these numbers than I have been. Might change it to once a month after this challenge.
    • Meditating--6 points/day

One & Done

Set up new personal Bullet Journal

Set up dog training Bullet Journal (yes, they need a separate one, mostly cause me = dog geek)

Make dog training card game

Make dog training cookie pots

Outline goals for the year, make SMART

Set budget

Might add more later...

So that's it for this time. I think it's the first time I haven't had some sort of dog training as a main goal. But the puppies won't suffer. ;) I finally ordered my trick dog instructor packet to motivate myself to finally record their darn tricks. Cross your fingers for me, and good luck on your challenge too!

• Like 5

Hi Pollyanna

I think it makes complete sense to do  separate Bullet journal for the dog stuff. It will make it much simpler to keep track of where what is. As for the rest, I think your goals are completely doable. Although what is the achievement your doing? I haven't heard of that one before.

Following along again.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

I’m curious, what’s the name of the meditation app?

It's called "Stop, Breathe, & Think." It's guided meditation. I hadn't thought of using an app for this before, but this one wins me points for the Achievement thing, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Not bad so far. :)

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I think it makes complete sense to do  separate Bullet journal for the dog stuff. It will make it much simpler to keep track of where what is. As for the rest, I think your goals are completely doable. Although what is the achievement your doing? I haven't heard of that one before.

Thank you! Achievement is a website that basically pays you for your tracker information. :D You can connect MFP and several other apps to earn points. Every 10K points earns you $10, which isn't a great payout, but it's better than $0 so...

Oh, and for the Achievement thing, I have a referral link that gets whoever signs up, as well as myself 500 points, so if you're interested, let me know! It expires on the 31st. :D 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Thank you! Achievement is a website that basically pays you for your tracker information. :D You can connect MFP and several other apps to earn points. Every 10K points earns you $10, which isn't a great payout, but it's better than $0 so...

Oh that makes sense. Good luck with that

• Like 3

Not gonna lie, I was reading through your list wondering what the dog goal was going to be. =P Pet them for me! There's your goal. 

Woooo you got this~

• Like 4

On 12/29/2017 at 2:04 PM, PollyannaAgain said:

So that's it for this time. I think it's the first time I haven't had some sort of dog training as a main goal.

Half of your one and done list is related to dog training. :P

On 12/29/2017 at 11:25 PM, PollyannaAgain said:

It's called "Stop, Breathe, & Think." It's guided meditation. I hadn't thought of using an app for this before, but this one wins me points for the Achievement thing, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Not bad so far. :)

That's a good one. I think it's my favorite out of the apps I've tried.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Hello again! Following, as in previous challenges. I hear you on the impact of stress, and I like your goals. Also I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's excited about the new year because it means I get to make a new journal/tracker setup  :D 

Self-compassion workbook sounds interesting. Do you like it? Is it a premade one?

On 29/12/2017 at 11:25 PM, PollyannaAgain said:

Oh, and for the Achievement thing, I have a referral link that gets whoever signs up, as well as myself 500 points, so if you're interested, let me know! It expires on the 31st. :D 

I track a lot of things so this is interesting to me. Do you trust them with the data, though? What do they do with it that it's worth it for them to pay you? 

• Like 3

On 12/31/2017 at 9:27 PM, zeroh13 said:

Half of your one and done list is related to dog training. :P

But those aren't main goals. ;) Thigh they might be the only ones that get done at this point.

On 12/31/2017 at 12:39 AM, fleaball said:

Not gonna lie, I was reading through your list wondering what the dog goal was going to be. =P Pet them for me! There's your goal. 

:D They send their thanks.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:53 PM, Severine said:

Self-compassion workbook sounds interesting. Do you like it?

Do you trust them with the data, though? What do they do with it that it's worth it for them to pay you? 

I have mixed feelings about it. It's basically a self-help book with specific exercises at the end of each section.

I don't mind if they know what I had for breakfast. :) I've no idea what they're researching though.

---------

So far my 2018 has been juuust fabulous. I have bronchitis "and/or something bacterial." Quality diagnosis right there, yes? I'm miserable, and I haven't started a single thing from my list. However, I have lost three pounds. Woo. Go me...

• Like 5

10 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

So far my 2018 has been juuust fabulous. I have bronchitis "and/or something bacterial." Quality diagnosis right there, yes? I'm miserable, and I haven't started a single thing from my list. However, I have lost three pounds. Woo. Go me...

Sorry to hear that, but now is not the time to worry about your list.  Just give your body the time it needs to heal.  Take good care of yourself!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

---------

Oh man, I'm sorry Polly, that really sucks. At least you have a game plan for after your sick!

i bought a gym membership and a week later I got strep throat, then the flu, then the norovirus.  

I was so bummed BUT I kept telling myself, it's there and once I'm better I'll start back again. 3 weeks out of 52 weeks of not going in a year will be ok. 

I really hope hope you feel better and I'm glad you got your pups to keep you company! Do they know when your sick? 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

I'm sick too. Booo. But solidarity, at least. Hopefully we both recover quickly. And yeah, those lazy hand-wavey diagnoses bother me too.

• Like 4

I think I might be feeling some light at the end of the tunnel! Can't see it yet, but something is happening. I counted up yesterday and realized I've been sick for a full six weeks as of Tuesday.

I started using the meditation app again this week. I had quit while I was very sick. I have a few favorite meditations to do, and then I found one that I had to quit right in the middle the other day. Rant:

Spoiler

It's called "Great Compassion," and I'm going to sound horrible for saying this, but it was infuriating. She was all, "put other people's needs before your own," and I realized right at that very second that the whole reason I need to meditate is because I've been doing that very thing to my own detriment. Don't get me wrong, I want to help people. I want to make a difference. But this particular meditation felt like it was shaming me for trying to care for myself and understand my own needs and emotions. Like, "well, you may be sad right now, but there are people out there who are even worse off" (summarized, that's not what it says). And I was like, "Gee, thanks. Now I feel guilty on top of all those other emotions I was feeling." And that made me angry...

The take away, guys, is your emotions are valid regardless of whether there's someone out there who is the same or worse off than you. You can have compassion for someone else without downplaying your own pain or feelings.

In other news, I'm doing pretty good getting my points in Achievement, but I haven't started the self-compassion workbook yet. I'm stalling this week, but last week, it was mostly because I was so sick. Both bullet journals are set up, and I'm pleased to say that having a separate dog training one has really improved our training sessions. I jot down a few things to work on each evening, and then I try to go through them like a checklist. The puppies have been very cooperative and happy to work, and we started a couple new tricks this week. I had planned to record my Novice Trick video this Saturday, but I don't think our newest tricks will be fluent enough. I'm going to keep on training and maybe just record Novice and Intermediate next Saturday.

Do you guys have like a life plan or anything like that? Meditating and journaling has highlighted how much I feel like I'm just drifting along in my life. I never really made any more long-term goals after high school, where basically my only goal was to get into college because that's what people told me I had to do to have a life worth anything. I got into college and then was like "now what?" And I don't think I've had specific long-term goals since. Even going to grad school was totally a spur of the moment decision.

I'm finding the rapid passing of time where I do nothing productive to be extremely distressing. The only time I don't feel like I'm going to just die tomorrow (like, the future feels like a big blank wall or empty void, depending on the day...) is when I'm with my dogs. And not having goals is also making me question my current career. Is this what I want to do with my life? What else would I do? I dunno because my only goal in high school was get into college. I didn't really explore my interests like I should have, I guess. Maybe I'm over-analyzing this whole thing though. Are life goals just stuff they do in movies? Maybe just sitting at work until it's time to go home is all there really is in real life...Thoughts?

• Like 6

I’m totally with you on that meditation. Putting others’ needs first is great, but you need to focus on being in a good place yourself first. It’s the whole airplane thing. You don’t put the oxygen mask on the person next to you if you haven’t already put yours on.

I'm finding the rapid passing of time where I do nothing productive to be extremely distressing. The only time I don't feel like I'm going to just die tomorrow (like, the future feels like a big blank wall or empty void, depending on the day...) is when I'm with my dogs. And not having goals is also making me question my current career. Is this what I want to do with my life? What else would I do? I dunno because my only goal in high school was get into college. I didn't really explore my interests like I should have, I guess. Maybe I'm over-analyzing this whole thing though. Are life goals just stuff they do in movies? Maybe just sitting at work until it's time to go home is all there really is in real life...Thoughts?

This, I’ve felt. School is so guided, and especially when you’re younger, time seems to take forever to pass. A week long Christmas break felt like a month. Now, I look. Up and amazed how far away from Christmas we already are.

I’m new(ish), and I don’t know you personally, so can I ask- what did you get your degree/grad degree in? Is it something that could help with a long term goal of, like, save up money to eventually start your own dog kennel/ grooming truck (like a food truck only that travels to groom dogs)/ per photography studio/ etc? (Not that you need a degree for these things)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Do you guys have like a life plan or anything like that? Meditating and journaling has highlighted how much I feel like I'm just drifting along in my life. I never really made any more long-term goals after high school, where basically my only goal was to get into college because that's what people told me I had to do to have a life worth anything. I got into college and then was like "now what?" And I don't think I've had specific long-term goals since. Even going to grad school was totally a spur of the moment decision.

This is entirely me right now. I have no idea what I want to do. Even the thing I went into grad school saying "this is what I want to do!!!" I'm now questioning - I wouldn't mind doing it, but is it really my endgame or did I just latch onto it because I needed to have some kind of goal to write about in my application essays? If I figure out the secret, I'll let you know.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

The take away, guys, is your emotions are valid regardless of whether there's someone out there who is the same or worse off than you. You can have compassion for someone else without downplaying your own pain or feelings.

I love the way you put this.  It's beautiful.

5 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

It's funny you say this because when I was younger my dream was to have my own home and be financially ok. 

We're not rich but I don't live pay check to pay check any more and I have a lovely little 1,000 sq ft. home in a quaint little town.

Now that's done...  I'm pretty happy just being now.

I think society pushes us that we should have a "life plan," instead of just being happy living today. 

Don't get me wrong, its good to have a goal  but as a society we're missing out just BEING. We put such an Urgency on people to know NOW and know What to do. I mean I have an "idea" of what I want to be when I grow up, I don't want to be a district manager for these stores for ever but as of now, I don't need a plan right now.  I'm happy where I am in life.

Also My husband and I have been so worried about retirement that we've saved every last penny since we've been together, but 2 years ago we got a cabin for 3 days.  It was amazing.  Last year we did one for 5 days, and this year we have one settled for 7 days!  We've come to the realization that, yeah, we may not retire at 50 or 55, but we have lived today with our kids and dogs. We've been signing up for bike tours more, traveling to different breweries, we're just living and its so nice. I'm 29 years old and I feel like I'm just started to be ok with just Today.

But if your feeling like you should have a lifetime goal, then maybe it's time to find out what those goals are. What I do is just picture myself at the age of 45 and think to myself, where will I be and what will I be doing?  And having that intention guides you naturally.

I love the word Intention.

• Like 7

I think I might be feeling some light at the end of the tunnel! Can't see it yet, but something is happening. I counted up yesterday and realized I've been sick for a full six weeks as of Tuesday.

I started using the meditation app again this week. I had quit while I was very sick. I have a few favorite meditations to do, and then I found one that I had to quit right in the middle the other day. Rant:
Spoiler It's called "Great Compassion," and I'm going to sound horrible for saying this, but it was infuriating. She was all, "put other people's needs before your own," and I realized right at that very second that the whole reason I need to meditate is because I've been doing that very thing to my own detriment. Don't get me wrong, I want to help people. I want to make a difference. But this particular meditation felt like it was shaming me for trying to care for myself and understand my own needs and emotions. Like, "well, you may be sad right now, but there are people out there who are even worse off" (summarized, that's not what it says). And I was like, "Gee, thanks. Now I feel guilty on top of all those other emotions I was feeling." And that made me angry...

In other news, I'm doing pretty good getting my points in Achievement, but I haven't started the self-compassion workbook yet. I'm stalling this week, but last week, it was mostly because I was so sick. Both bullet journals are set up, and I'm pleased to say that having a separate dog training one has really improved our training sessions. I jot down a few things to work on each evening, and then I try to go through them like a checklist. The puppies have been very cooperative and happy to work, and we started a couple new tricks this week. I had planned to record my Novice Trick video this Saturday, but I don't think our newest tricks will be fluent enough. I'm going to keep on training and maybe just record Novice and Intermediate next Saturday.

I am just a few years older than Flea and I suppose to you too. I went to uni to do what I loved, made that a successful career, passed through some obstacles and have now 'realised' my 'life plan'.
I never really had one, but knew where I wanted my career and life to go for the next few years, not to the end of my life!
Thing is that the qustion is cyclical... and now I am where I wanted to be and happy, but not completely because I 'need' to have a plan for the future. I do worry that I focused too much about work to have a family and maybe I want one... I worry that I left my family of origin and lots of friends for my work and maybe I could have had a way less rewarding job but many other things. And I worry what to do next: because I have the ability for a promotion, but I should work hard and I don't really want to, and I should do something different and I don't know if I like that part of the work. And I worry I should worry less about work but more about putting down roots, if I want children I don't have many in front of me, but I don't even know if I want children, and do I want to share my life with someone I don't even want to be on an app to meet...
In summary fuck life plans, if you don't achieve them you'll be depressed, if you do it won't be much better... so fuck it, fuck it, fuck it! Get what next step works for you, what makes you happy and take it from there.
Sorry for the swearing... not a good day for reason related to life plans, will explain another day in my 4wc
  • Like 6

On 12/1/2018 at 9:30 AM, PollyannaAgain said:

A true thing well said.

Are life goals just stuff they do in movies? Maybe just sitting at work until it's time to go home is all there really is in real life...Thoughts?

I've been thinking a lot about this recently, and have thought about it at basically every major turning point in my life, and also at times when I felt stagnated. 

My life has definitely not taken a linear path. I'm only 36 and I've worked in three different major industries (law, education, and agriculture), lived in three different countries, and changed my mind about "what I want to be when I grow up" so many times that I can barely remember them all. I've made changes to how I dress, to what I think I want in a romantic relationship, to how I view certain issues, etc.

I sometimes envy people who have known what they wanted their life to look like since they were a small child and just single-mindedly worked toward it, always sure it was what they wanted. But I have also come to realize over time that is simply not my personality. I react to my circumstances, I'm influenced by what happens around me, and I tend to embrace change more quickly and more easily than average. Some people see it as a plus, some as a minus. I know people who think I'm unpredictable and flighty because I will leave a job or a relationship that's merely "fine" because I can't stop thinking there is something better. If anything, I am a bit restless. Standing still seems terrifying to me.

For me, it would be stifling to have to make a rock-solid plan and stick with it no matter what. I would feel trapped. And I've learned that trying to plan too far into the future is just not for me. Things are changing constantly, with me and the world, and I don't feel I can make intelligent plans more than 2 or 3 years in the future.

So my plan, if I can be said to have a plan, is to constantly reassess: am I doing rewarding and interesting work? Am I in fulfilling relationships? Do I like what my days look like? Do I like who I am? Am I connected to people and my community in ways that feel good? Am I living according to my values? And if I don't like the answers, I change something, try something, do something. Sometimes it makes it better, sometimes it makes it worse and then I try a different thing.

I do have a list of goals or interests. Things that I want to learn, or do, or try, and I use those as a kind of guide when making plans for the year or whatnot. And I revisit the list and add things and delete things as time goes by and what I want changes.

• Like 4

On 1/12/2018 at 8:30 AM, PollyannaAgain said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's called "Great Compassion," and I'm going to sound horrible for saying this, but it was infuriating. She was all, "put other people's needs before your own," and I realized right at that very second that the whole reason I need to meditate is because I've been doing that very thing to my own detriment. Don't get me wrong, I want to help people. I want to make a difference. But this particular meditation felt like it was shaming me for trying to care for myself and understand my own needs and emotions. Like, "well, you may be sad right now, but there are people out there who are even worse off" (summarized, that's not what it says). And I was like, "Gee, thanks. Now I feel guilty on top of all those other emotions I was feeling." And that made me angry...

Okay, yeah, I don't need to use this app. I do enough of this on my own by saying "Its oaky I am going through X, Y and Z. I am sure someone has it worse, so I will just suffer." No thanks giving the trolls in my head more food. thanks.

Glad to see this is working

Life plan... HAHAHAHA... Your funny. Honestly, I had a plan, then I got married and had a kid and that plan went poof. For a long time, I operated on "Make kids turn into decent adults" which is kinda a plan, but if you asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up, I had no idea. Even now, I have no idea what I want to do with my degree. I say "Oh I am getting a degree in computer science" but when asked "What will you do with it" My answer is a full time gig. If asked doing what... I got no idea. I know I need to retire eventually, The kids will move out. Maybe I become a crazy animal hoarder.. I have no idea. I know I want to be thin No HEALTHIER, I want to feel like I have a clean house. and I need an adult job, but that is about the extent of my "Life plan"

I wish I had an answer for this. I honestly don't know if people really have life goals or not.  I like and do agree with Butternut about how we need to be able to focus on now as well. I don't have a solid plan, and when I try to make one, I panic since there are so many things I can't control. Heck, I haven't even planned out what I want from 2018, or even the next challenge. I think having an overall goal is probably good, but I have no idea how to start.

• Like 4

I sometimes envy people who have known what they wanted their life to look like since they were a small child and just single-mindedly worked toward it, always sure it was what they wanted.

Things are changing constantly, with me and the world, and I don't feel I can make intelligent plans more than 2 or 3 years in the future.

So my plan, if I can be said to have a plan, is to constantly reassess: am I doing rewarding and interesting work? Am I in fulfilling relationships? Do I like what my days look like? Do I like who I am? Am I connected to people and my community in ways that feel good? Am I living according to my values? And if I don't like the answers, I change something, try something, do something. Sometimes it makes it better, sometimes it makes it worse and then I try a different thing.

I do have a list of goals or interests. Things that I want to learn, or do, or try, and I use those as a kind of guide when making plans for the year or whatnot. And I revisit the list and add things and delete things as time goes by and what I want changes.

People with a solid plan for life that worked out are either very lucky or lying!
Your plan seems very solid to me (and I love planning ahead! I very much envy people that can jump and change) because it accounts how you and the world change. I try to do the same, but sometimes I turn toward planning toward my life after retirement (I'm 33!).

One technique that we used in a prayer group that I find very useful, even if I am not sure I have found it, is to 'find your name in front of God' (id est: find a word that represents your identity, who you are). It takes how long it takes to find it and that becomes the silver lining that follows you through life, and 'the plan'. Each time you take a decision you also check if it fits toward your name/word and what that means to you. I find it relieving... Does it make sense? I think it's similar to what you say in 'am I living according to my values'...
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

One technique that we used in a prayer group that I find very useful, even if I am not sure I have found it, is to 'find your name in front of God' (id est: find a word that represents your identity, who you are). It takes how long it takes to find it and that becomes the silver lining that follows you through life, and 'the plan'. Each time you take a decision you also check if it fits toward your name/word and what that means to you. I find it relieving... Does it make sense? I think it's similar to what you say in 'am I living according to my values'...

Sounds a little similar to a mantra, or choosing a patron virtue, or something. It makes sense. Basically anything that helps people maintain awareness of their happiness and situation, instead of just getting caught up by inertia and the rhythm of day to day life.

• Like 6

On 1/12/2018 at 10:50 AM, Hypotheticalfox said:

I’m new(ish), and I don’t know you personally, so can I ask- what did you get your degree/grad degree in? Is it something that could help with a long term goal of, like, save up money to eventually start your own dog kennel/ grooming truck (like a food truck only that travels to groom dogs)/ per photography studio/ etc? (Not that you need a degree for these things)

I've got a bachelor's in linguistics and a master's in library science. I'm getting ready to enroll in a dog training program in another week or so. I think I want to move into dog training and a dog daycare, but I'm worried it won't work, and, as evidenced by my previous degrees, I'm having trouble sticking to things...

-------

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses! I really appreciate that about you guys. :) I haven't decided what to do yet, but I feel less panicked thinking about it. I think I might need a blend of goals and "see where it goes and adjust"-ness. Which sounds like a non-answer typed out, but I have thoughts that I'm mulling over so we'll leave it at that for now.

I had a nice, relaxing weekend, except for the fact the puppies didn't want to do any school...That was unusual and I had time so I had time to think and worry about it. We did fun stuff instead, and I'm trying to chalk it up to them being unused to me training them daily. I've been sick for almost a whole two months, so we haven't been doing a lot. I'm a little worried that Iz will continue like this when I'm trying to do my KPA homework though. :concern:

I also discovered that I am pitifully weak right now. I hope it's just "right now" and not for real. Since I'm still having trouble breathing and coughing quite a bit, I'm going to pretend it's b/c I"m still sick for now...Does your mind feel healthy before your body does after you've been sick? Right now, my brain is all like "YES! Let's do it! Let's go!" and my body is all *cough*DYING*cough*Please stop...

Anywho, how was your weekend?

• Like 5