Thrillho's Recovery Montage

Thrillho

So my last few times around this forum, it may perchance have been noted that I seemed... depressed.  Well, don't worry yourselves anymore wondering:  yes, I was depressed. Really, really depressed. More than I can recall being since my kids were but toddlers. I hated life, I hated my job, I hated the future, and I MOSTLY hated myself, because... well, I'm not even sure it needs a 'because'.  That's the magic of depression.  It works whether you believe in it or not! It's like science, in that regard. 

giphy.gif

No, I'm fine. Just a flesh wound.

So this is going to be a lot less of a "DO AMAZING THINGS" challenge and more of a "Start 2018 off right, because this is probably the last chance you're going to get."

2018 - The Year We Fight Back

There's going to be some big things happening in 2018.  For starters, I'm in physiotherapy right now for pre-patellar bursitis, a deteriorated VMO, and some hip and back problems.  As always, I was just trying to 'power through' and ignore my health problems and that finally started to bite me in the ass.  And lower back.  And knee.  Physio is kind of fun, though! Strangers lube me up and repeatedly electrocute me in between painful exercises and stretching.  It's just like Scout camp.

Secondly, my wife has her membership to the UNBC gym, and the only way she's going to go is if I go, so I've got mine back, too. Her schedule this semester is the loosest it's been since she started school, so we're going to try and make it at least three times a week.  This is in addition to all of the stretching and resistance exercises I need to do at home.  It's even  more important that I start getting in shape and set a good example, because my son is going out for the football team in the spring.  This is an INSANELY huge deal, because although he's a 6 foot tall, 195 pound 15 year old, he also has juvenile idiopathic arthritis and has avoided all forms of sporting and competition and fitness. The coach is aware of his difficulties, and has still explained that he'll only have to sprint for six seconds, and mostly just spend his time trying to smash other kids his size, and after years of MMA he's pretty down for that.  So that's cool.

And lastly, I'm making the real push to switch my career from 'sitting in a cubicle and designing platforms for engineers who don't know what they want' to 'writing and drawing and creating and actually doing something meaningful with my extremely finite time on this planet'.  To that end, me and my daughters, the President and two sole employees of ninja bear presshave a table at Artist's Alley for Northern Fancon.  The girls have been asking for a table there for two years, but I've had to explain to them 'that's for the REAL artists, the ones who draw comics for a living, who make real art for a living'.  Two years later, I have to say... my girls are capable of making stuff at least as good as half the art I've seen on places like DeviantArt, and they're getting better every day.  And so to that end, I will be at Fancon, with my daughters, in the Artist's Alley.  I will be selling Princess Ninja, my only published children's book, but I will ALSO be pitching a book I will be writing with each girl, that they will be illustrating. My youngest will be illustrating Powered by Candy, and my oldest is still deciding on her idiom.  Regardless, it's going to be a huge event for all three of us.

Actually, the OTHER lastly is, this year I am going to be in Vancouver for the Tiger Balms, but I'm just going to watch.  Observe.  Take in the sights.  And figure out if I really want to compete again.  I need some sort of a goal to keep me on track for things.

So! That brings us to the challenges.

Challenge #1 - Nerd, Heal Thyself

To my physio stretches every night before bed.  This will help tire you out, since they work major muscle groups, and actually help you sleep, to say nothing of ACTUALLY start fixing the problems years of sedentary jobs, poor posture and excess weight have created.

G88iNum.gif

It might make your mornings a little better, too.

Challenge #2 - Weights and Dog Walking

As part of the 'new schedule' for my wife's last semester, I will have to walk the dog in the morning.  This means before 7am.  So my current plan is to get up around 6, like I currently do, walk the dog (it's about 40 minutes for our usual route), followed by some basic bodyweight exercises and bag work once I'm warmed up.  Then I can eat breakfast with my kids again and get ready to drive the little buggers to school. 

Zetsuen+no+tempest+gif.gif

But it's SO CHILLY RIGHT NOW. 

Challenge #3 - Portion Control

Your legs and lower back are NEVER going to get better unless you take the stress off of them.  This means losing about 40 lbs from the midsection.  IF doesn't work for me. Food type restriction doesn't work for me.  I spend way too much time in my day cooking for four other people, and where possible I would like to consider eating the same food with them, just so we're actually doing something together as a family.  PORTION CONTROL and water is going to be the key to actually eating the food I eat, when I eat it, and still being on top of my diet. 

Qlka0df.gif

Also, this toasts my sushi nicely.

Challenge #4 - Create

I got oil paints, canvasses and the Bob Ross brushes for Christmas.  I have a new-ish computer, a brand-new monitor, and a sweet keyboard, all to myself.  We bought a piano. I have books for learning Flash Animation, and learning Bass.  I have countless stories to write, to say nothing of preparing two spec manuscripts and artwork for Fancon.  I've got so much to do and my usually finite amount of spare time to do it in.  I need to exercise a little more self-discipline with how I use my spare time.  A little Path of Exile here and there is fine, but focus, man, focus!

1b0.gif

I have no idea how this gif ended up in my search results.

So here it comes.  2018.  Thrillho. Mopey and fat, with with goals. And gifs. 

• Like 2

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

On 1/1/2018 at 2:18 PM, Kishi said:

Wow! Sounds like 2018 is going to have a lot of awesome in store for you. You just gotta live long enough and get in good enough shape to be able to enjoy them.

Well then! Best get to work.

On 1/1/2018 at 5:07 PM, Treva said:

I am so here for you and your girls making art and books.  What a wonderful thing!!

I am also here for you fighting back for your health.  Go you, taking the charge and doing the thing.  Looking forward to reading about your journey. 

So much this! And remember, you're not alone! We're all here for you =D

• Like 1

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

So, on the plus side, I feel like I'm definitely on track for my weight loss goals!

On the down side, both me and my wife have some sort of horrible stomach flu, so we're losing weight in the least enjoyable manners possible.  

*yays weakly*

• Sad 1

So far...

Challenge #1 - Physio Before Bed

Have not been keeping up on that because both nights I was trying to die while trying not to die.  So... slow start there.

Have not been keeping up, because both MORNINGS i was trying to die, or I slept in WAY past my alarm due to malaise. Tomorrow will be the real Day 1.

KICKING ASS on this one.  So great.

Challenge #4 - Creating

Not bad, actually.  Got some writing done, had some real heart to hearts with my major Patreon supporters, big plans for the coming year, but... again, been a little distracted.

SO! There's your update thus far. :D

tumblr_oyuqsa0A1l1u1bmiro1_500.gif

Got my membership back at the gym (as 'Spouse' to my wife's main account, since she's a student there and gets in for free).  Got my parking pass.  Got one more physio appointment and I'll be approved for weights again.  Setting up the goal board at home tonight.

Woo. 

OK, apparently I need to handle the updating here myself without waiting for a notification. :)

Long story short:  My blood tests resulted in MORE blood tests, because my doctor is that very special sort of general practitioner who essentially hears the opposite of whatever you tell him.  ANY symptom you explain clearly, he thinks you have either made up or gotten completely wrong, because patients cannot express themselves clearly to a medical professional without some ulterior motive.  So, when I went to get my testosterone checked, he threw in 13 other blood tests for obesity, pre-metabolic conditions, thyroid, cholesterol, etc, because since I'm fat that must be the cause of everything.  ALL OF HIS TESTS came back totally normal, wheras the one I specifically requested came back 'significantly below the normal range', as I'd f***ing predicted.  So, just to CONFIRM that me being actually right wasn't a fluke, I had to get the same tests done AGAIN, but this time he actually requested the other marker tests that would indicate whether or not it was a fluke the first time.  So, you know, a couple extra weeks tacked on to trying to solve this issue, because patients are obviously idiots.  

On the plus side, I also pick up a sleep apnea testing machine today, since that is also something that might be screwing with me.

SO... on to the updates!

Challenge #1 - Physio Before Bed

Not every night, but have been doing much better with exercise before bed.  Hit the gym two nights and two days out of the last seven. 

Less weights due to my knee and my lower back, so more stretching and yoga, but yep, doing all the dog-walking briskly in -27 degree temps.  The dog loves it, at least.

Doing very good on this, except for Tuesday, because I tend to eat my stress and exhaustion and that was a bad day for me.  Good again.  Damn wagon. 

Challenge #4 - Creating

Still not as much as I'd like, but I am crushing this one story, and coming up with ideas for others, but I still really need to buckle down and set short term GOALS to keep me on track.  This weekend I'll be brainstorming with the girls for their books for Fancon, and hopefully setting up my Wordpress site for real, because once I've got that PRESSURE to occupy it, I will start focusing more on stories for the public.  Also, I am genuinely considering trying to submit to the 2018 CBC Short Nonfiction contest. Normally I loathe 'literary fiction', which is where you string together pretty little sentences until the reader forgets that stories are supposed to have a point, but I think I have enough material to actually put something meaningful together.  Wish me luck!

• Like 2

On 1/11/2018 at 11:12 AM, Thrillho said:

So, you know, a couple extra weeks tacked on to trying to solve this issue, because patients are obviously idiots.  

I am so gorram sorry this was your experience.  It's not like you spend all your time living in your own body, or know when things are right or wrong with it because you have spent many many years learning to listen to it.  Besides, tests are only as good as the doctor who interprets them.  Ugh.  It's called a history and physical, not a lecture and blood draw.

So, when I went to get my testosterone checked, he threw in 13 other blood tests for obesity, pre-metabolic conditions, thyroid, cholesterol, etc, because since I'm fat that must be the cause of everything.

I mean, I wish he had explained to you why he had done those tests.  I can speculate, but instead it sounds like he made you feel not listened to, which is Bad Form.  

Less weights due to my knee and my lower back, so more stretching and yoga, but yep, doing all the dog-walking briskly in -27 degree temps.  The dog loves it, at least.

Your commitment to listening to your pain and your presumably adorable pupper is inspiring.

Doing very good on this, except for Tuesday, because I tend to eat my stress and exhaustion and that was a bad day for me.  Good again.  Damn wagon.

As I have said many times before, I am a firm believer in eating one's feelings. This is why I should never give diet advice.
I'm sorry you had a bad day, and I hope things turn around quickly.  

Challenge #4 - Creating

Still not as much as I'd like, but I am crushing this one story, and coming up with ideas for others, but I still really need to buckle down and set short term GOALS to keep me on track.  This weekend I'll be brainstorming with the girls for their books for Fancon, and hopefully setting up my Wordpress site for real, because once I've got that PRESSURE to occupy it, I will start focusing more on stories for the public.  Also, I am genuinely considering trying to submit to the 2018 CBC Short Nonfiction contest. Normally I loathe 'literary fiction', which is where you string together pretty little sentences until the reader forgets that stories are supposed to have a point, but I think I have enough material to actually put something meaningful together.  Wish me luck!

Go you!!! I hope this goes well for you!!  Sounds like you know exactly what to do for "Literary fiction".  Kick it's butt!!!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

Apnea testing done! Even more blood tests done! Doctor's appointment this week to get to the NEXT stage of... figuring out WTF is wrong with me, or more specifically how to fix it. 

Hit the gym on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Raging soreness right now.  My weight levels are pathetic, I'm so far below not just where I was last year, but I'm below where I was in HIGH SCHOOL.  On the one hand, it's incredibly demoralizing to realize how weak I've become, but on the other hand, I know there will be successes and gains from this point onwards.  I WILL see improvements.  

And, just as an amusing aside, my youngest now comes to the gym with us.  She loves the Game Mode on the rowing machine, she loves that there's TVs on the treadmills, and she loves doing stretching and yoga and box jumps on the steppers.  She stays out of everyone's way, and people always smile when they see the tiny pigtailed sprite sprinting around talking about fitness. And then eating ice cream when she gets home. 

On the downside, I don't take anti-inflammatories after the gym, because they interfere with proper recovery... but as a result, I am also so sore that I wake myself up at night.  Which kind of is already a whole 'thing'.  So I might have to take them and just settle for not getting OPTIMAL body recovery, but getting more optimal brain recovery.

BRAINS. 

... I'm hungry.

Chis-Sweet-Home-animated-gif-5.gif

I've been there too, as far as being in enough pain that interfered with sleep. If it helps, think of it as not having an optimal recovery either way. Either the pain pills interfere by blunting your sensitivity to your body, or you keep the sensitivity and lose sleep, which blunts your overall ability to recover.

You've got to take what you can get, man. Although, if you're looking to avoid pain meds and still get some kind of relief, you may want to look into the use of turmeric in your cooking. I used to brew up a tea with turmeric and ginger root as well as black pepper; it was very tasty and also helped as far as reducing inflammation and such like that. I ultimately veered away from that into taking glucosamine for joint support which turned out to be enough for me, but. You do you.

Looking at your Low T and sleep difficulties, one supplement you may want to consider would be ZMA, or a Zinc-Magnesium complex, as these are precursor minerals to testosterone production and help with sleep. I've heard mixed reports; AoM's Brett McKay says that when he tried to maximize his T naturally that ZMAs weren't all that helpful, but some other gurus as well as Steve and T-Nation speak in support of it. I've personally found them to be useful. The good news is, ZMAs across the board seem to have a pretty consistent degree of quality, so if you choose to go that way then you don't have to worry too much about which brand you go with.

Anyway. Welcome back to the Noob Gainz Train! It'll be fun. Enjoy it while you can!

On 12/29/2017 at 6:24 PM, Thrillho said:

I got oil paints, canvasses and the Bob Ross brushes for Christmas.

My guy's  9-year-old asked for the Bob Ross boxed set for Christmas. She loves the videos on Netflix. 

It sounds like you're gonna rock 2018. :)
Even though your doctor is a jerk.

• Like 1

I call the doctor today to 'discuss the results'.  So... here's hoping!

The long and short of it is, though, is the #1 way to treat ALL THREE of my current health issues is 'lose weight'. There's really no way around that. So I'm calling it right now, that's what he's going to prescribe. 

• Like 1

Beats me.  Appointment is for tomorrow.  *grumbles*  I'll keep you posted!

Down 5 lbs, though.  Been too busy to hit the gym much this week.  My job, wife's university, everything kind of exploded.  But NOT stress-eating!  

• Like 2