• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

A Phoenix Rising

The Metamorphosis Begins

Apologize for wordy introduction, but owning where I am starting will help me set clearer path to a better future.   

The bio - 5’7” 209 lbs; fast approaching 52 yrs with 2 kids in college. Born in KS.  I have lived in MN, UT, CO, IN.  Picked up some glitches from the parental units:  1st an only child with some OCD/control issues that always tries to make others happy, 2nd the oldest of 10 with some procrastinating and pack-rat tendencies.  (I picture the dance scene in the movie Murphy’s Romance when explaining my parents influence on my internal conversations).

The good – 2018 will be the year I focus on me.  Spent long time putting a lot of things ahead of taking care of myself.   It’s time to push excuses aside and start to make some changes. As part of ‘be healthier’, I was looking online for ‘at home body weight workouts’ as a way to start the un-rooting from chair process and that search lead me to find NF.  

The bad – Along with the normal grind that has caused DoT, I’m mentally coming to terms with the chaos that was 2017… a 50+ hour/7 day job that sucks the energy right out of my soul, getting husband thru liver transplant recovery and in next few months, wrapping up divorce after 26 years.

The ugly – Overweight: Doctor said cholesterol and blood pressure borderline so lose weight and improve the numbers or she’s putting me on meds.  While I completed Walt Disney World marathon in January 2007, I haven’t run/exercised since.  Stress Overload: Need to stop feeling guilty about not being superwoman.  Somewhere along the line, I put my adventurous, fun-loving spirit on the back burner and it’s time to join the dance of life again.  Limitations: Workout modifications required due to lower back / right hip issues and torn muscle in right shoulder.

The Quests - Change doesn’t happen overnight, so many of the things I want to accomplish will require a progression of smaller steps.   I’ve set my 2018 Quests as 1) lose 24 lbs, 2) finish a 10k, and 3) reduce debt.

Challenge 1 – Building Blocks.  With a long path ahead, I’m starting with things that will help create a strong foundation. My goals are

Health & Fitness - I’ve always wanted to be able to show off 6-pack abs, but at this point in my life, I’ll be happy with the cooler around the 6-pack just having a little less insulation.

1. Eat at least 3 x a day and limit the microwave processed options or fast food.  Difficulty level = high, will require pre-planning.
  2. Drink 16-32 oz water daily.   Apparently to be at peak, your body needs water on the inside as well as that used on the outside to shower.  Difficulty level = medium, as long as I have lemon juice and ice.
  3. Do some form of exercise 2 x week. Difficulty level = medium, as long as I cut work time down to 8-10 hrs a day.

LUYL - Find ways to eliminate Fel, that black magic called stress.    

1. Get 6 ½ hrs sleep. Difficulty level = high, will require turning screens off earlier.
  2. Set budget and stick to it.  Difficulty level = medium, as long as I cook at home more.

Thank you to those that are willing to share the odyssey.  It is refreshing to discover a clan that understands everyone starts at a different place and will move at their own speed, but recognizes that moving forward is still moving in the right direction.

I may falter and fall, but will rise stronger and more determined than before.  I am… A Phoenix Rising

• Like 3

Hi :) It's great that you have taken the time to stop and look at where you are, and that you know where you want to be. It's super empowering. I don't know how you manage to work 50+ hours a week, I know I couldn't do it in my current state. Best of luck to you for the trials ahead.

You and I have many things in common...do you mind if I ask what your job is? It may be easier to try and incorporate some type of 'workout' with your job instead of trying to figure out how to do one only on days you work 8-10 hours

I have an office job that keeps me sitting in front of computer or in meetings most days.  I was lucky enough to get a Varidesk so will be trying to stand more often throughout the day.   Unfortunately with it being winter, walking over lunch will depend on temperature and ice conditions.  My plan is to come home and get exercise in before anything can sidetrack me.

• Like 1

Do you have an office with a door? Is a bodyweight workout an option? Is indoor walking an option? I'm thinking hallways and stairwells...I have a desk job but it's in a baseball park so there is a bit of freedom to get out and move when the work is caught up.

Day 1 Jan 1. Last day off of work for holidays.

1.      Eating: got in 3 meals & 1 snack, all Whole30 compliant.

2.      Drinking H2O: got in 16 which is more than I usually have in a week

3.      Exercise: Started out easy with modified push-ups, glute bridges, squats, lunges, side plank.  Oh man, am I out of shape…legs were jelly.

4.     Sleep: missed with only 5  hrs.  Got to bed late due to watching Harry Potter marathon with kids.

Day 2 Jan 2. First day back at work in a week. Even though I had tons of emails to wade thru, I made time to walk inside to help with leg soreness.

1.      Eating: got in 3 meals, but missed afternoon snack so was starving by time got home.

2.      Drinking H2O: got in 16. Feeling a little water logged.

drink water.JPG

• Like 1

You get used to it, I generally drink 64+ a day...of course all I drink is water and coffee so that helps :lol: 

Day 3 Jan 3.  Crazy busy at work with announcement of us doing an acquisition. 

1.      Eating:  Yeah!  Got in 3 meals & snack...all were healthy choices.  Went grocery shopping to ensure I had more non-processed options.

2.      Drinking H2O:  16 oz.  Seem to do better with this after I get home.

3.      Exercise:   need to get an arms/abs work out in on Thursday.

4.      Sleep:  miss on Tues night – only got 5 hours

5.      Budget:  miss – prepped lunch Tues night and then forgot to take lunch to work so had to run out and grab a salad

do better.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, A Phoenix Rising said:

2.      Drinking H2O:  16 oz.  Seem to do better with this after I get home.

Do you have a water bottle you can take to work? Maybe if it's 'in your face' it will help?

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 12:47 PM, A Phoenix Rising said:

I have an office job that keeps me sitting in front of computer or in meetings most days.  I was lucky enough to get a Varidesk so will be trying to stand more often throughout the day.   Unfortunately with it being winter, walking over lunch will depend on temperature and ice conditions.  My plan is to come home and get exercise in before anything can sidetrack me.

I feel you on the cold and desk job! It has been killing me. I started trying to sneak out a few times a day to go up and down the stair case (since I'm in a 4 story building). You have some great goals, I hope they go well this challenge. 

• Like 1

Hi! Just seeing your posts today! Good luck with all your goals. Have you thought about using some kind of fidget tool to keep moving while you're at the office? Something as simple as a physical therapy band wrapped around the leg of a chair or desk is a great option. You put one foot on it and swing back & forth. I know it's not ideal "exercise" but I bet it would at least make you feel less sedentary. 

Happy challenge!!

• Like 1

Day 4.  Thurs Jan 4.  Think I might be ill…been achy all day.

1.      Eating: 2 meals – so busy at work never got around to lunch.

2.      Drinking H2O: 17 oz – doing better with this one than I expected.

3.      Exercise: did some stretches but was so tired went to bed early.

4.      Sleep: Wed night 5 hours

Day 5.  Fri Jan 5.  Caught a cold.  Hope the medicine helps me sleep well.

1.      Eating:  3 meals, though lunch could have been better choice than just 2 hardboiled eggs.

2.      Drinking H2O: 8 oz + 4 cups coffee

3.      Exercise: got a short walk in before the cold got unbearable.

4.      Sleep: Thur night 7:48 hrs - Success!!

5.      Budget:  was tempted while at the mall with daughter, but fought off the urge even though there was some great sale prices.

Don’t give up what you want most, for what you want now.

FOCUS.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, A Phoenix Rising said:

5.      Budget:  was tempted while at the mall with daughter, but fought off the urge even though there was some great sale prices.

Awesome job!!

Day 6.  Sat Jan 6. Miserable day...cold kick’n my butt.

Sleep:  Fri night 9 hrs

Eating: 3 meals with pretty good choices.  Spiralized some zucchini to use instead of pasta with spaghetti sauce.

Drinking H2O:  10 oz + 2 cups coffee

Exercise:  none, barely had enough energy to drag myself to bed

Day 7.  Sun Jan 7.

Sleep: Sat night 9:19 …cold medicine may have helped.

Eating:  1 meal with poor choices & 1 snack.  Not really much appetite.

Spent some time prepping for this week’s meals so I have some options to take for lunch.

Drinking H2O:  32 oz + 2 cups coffee.

Exercise:  got some stairs in helping daughter haul her stuff back into college apartment

monday do this.JPG

• Like 1

Jan 8 – 12.  An absolutely insanely crazy week at work.  I’m almost glad the ice/snow storm has me stuck in the house so I can’t drive and get soda/vodka to mix myself some stress relief.  Guess I’ll stick with healthier choice of jug of water and a little Mario Odyssey instead.

• Drinking H20:  Started week doing well, but last 2 days was lots of coffee.
  • Eating:  No processed or fast food!!  95% successful in eating whole.  Couple minor slips when I sauted onions in butter and ate the butternut squash the kids cooked with brown sugar on it.
  • Budget:  Will have to re-work the plan as I have to fit in an oil change and new winter coat for Son tomorrow.
  • Exercise:  got short walk in on Thursday and shoveled snow today. Daughter hooked up DVD player to TV in living room so I can use it for some indoor cardio.
  • Sleep 6 1/2: my Fitbit says I hit Sun 5:46, Mon 8:55, Tues 4:28, Wed 6:30, Thur 6:07.   I started to crochet a new scarf so have been trying to get it down by next week.  Gotta get the ZZZzzzs back on track.

yarn free.JPG

• Like 2

On 1/1/2018 at 2:47 AM, A Phoenix Rising said:

I have seen some short 5-10 minute yoga in the office videos around, this might be an option. Also getting up earlier to do your exercise before work might be another thing to consider as there might come a day when you get home and are too tired.

But I think you are doing really well! I love how you are doing dailyish check ins. I hope they help :D 

On 1/12/2018 at 7:23 PM, A Phoenix Rising said:

sauted onions in butter

Real butter is fine...I use it all the time. It's that processed margarine stuff you want to avoid!

Jan 13 - 20.  Worked 12-14 hr days all week trying to get some things caught up.  Feeling burnt.

• Drinking H20:  struggled…only getting about 8-10 oz in each day, so will have to do better job carrying my jug around with me.
  • Eating whole:  sugar slips…the pumpkin seed Snax had cane juice & rice malt and the coconut chips have maple syrup.   Gonna have to limit those treats.   Also, caved on fast food last night when I was too tired to cook.  Had BBQ wings even though I knew there was way too much sugar in the sauce.
  • Exercise: total miss.
  • Sleep 6 1/2: got in 8:02 Fri, 5:18 Sat, 6:43 Mon, 5:36 Tue, 6:41 Wed, 5:26 Thur, 5:13 Fri.  Unfortunately I was doing work in my dreams so I didn’t feel very rested when I woke up.
  • Budget:  Other than a grocery run, I did good at sticking to plan.   I get to splurge this week so used it to order some Doc Parsley’s sleep remedy to try.

Your focus determines you reality.  Keep your eye on the prize, it’ll all be worth it!

why start.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 10:39 PM, A Phoenix Rising said:
  • Unfortunately I was doing work in my dreams so I didn’t feel very rested when I woke up.
  •  

Oh I hate when this happens!!

Jan 21 - 28.  Really rough week. 

• Drinking H20:  got in at least 16 oz each day but 1, but feel can still improve. 
  • Eating whole:  no packaged/microwave meals! I did slip and add creamer to coffee couple times, so need to get that back on track.  Made healthy choices when co-workers took me out for birthday meal.
  • Exercise: completely off track on this one.  Yesterday did my 1st yoga class.  The instructor did great job and everyone was very welcoming.  Would like to fit it in at least once a week.
  • Sleep 6 1/2: got in 5:12 Sat, 6:06 Sun, 4:02 Mon, 6:09 Tue, 3:21 Wed, 5:28 Thu, 6:26 Fri, 10:05 Sat.  Hoping can get this one on track as rest will help in so many areas.
  • Budget:  only off track once…a trip to Whole Foods to pick up some healthy snacks.

1 week left….it’s not over yet

finish strong.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/28/2018 at 6:51 PM, A Phoenix Rising said:

I did slip and add creamer to coffee couple times

What about coconut or almond milk?

Challenge #1 complete!

• Miss:  Exercise 2 x week.   
  • Progress / room for improvement:  get 6 1/2 hrs sleep
  • Hit the mark:  Set/stick to budget and drink 16-32 oz water a day
  • Rocked it:  limit processed options/microwave meals and cut out fast food.   Completed a Whole 30 challenge with several co-workers.  Lost 13 lbs and 10 inches.

Good way to kick the year off.   

Challenge #2...bring it on.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 8:35 PM, A Phoenix Rising said:

Lost 13 lbs and 10 inches.

WOW!! That's awesome!! Great job!