• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

pureleeawesome

Pureleeawesome's Battlegrounds

Yes I stole my title from the name of my favourite game currently, Playerunknown's Battlegrounds (I have 400+ hours in it and I still suck).

BUT WHAT IS LIFE, IF NOT A BATTLE?

Ahem.

Okay.

Enough of the dramatics.

Settle in because this will be a large post.

I sat down yesterday/earlier today and wrote out what I wanted to be doing in 2018 and onward. Here's the list:

• Finish Cert IV in Programming
  • Follow Barefoot Investor plans
  • Follow No Shopping plans
  • Be outside more
  • Read more
  • Write regularly
  • Lift regularly
  • Do yoga/stretching
  • Provide constructive reviews
  • Move more
  • Be more present
  • Find my Tribe
  • Work on Epic Quest Items
  • Move forward with my career

From this list I've decided to work on the following goals for this challenge:

• Finish Cert IV in Programming
  • Follow Barefoot Investor plans
  • Follow No Shopping plans
  • Lift regularly

Let's discuss, shall we?

FINISH CERT IV IN PROGRAMMING

Well, I'm not going to be able to complete this during the challenge. It's a long course that I'm finding isn't engaging me AT ALL. But I paid nearly $4k for it (I'm still paying that off) and I need to start working on it again. So the step in relation to this goal is:

1. Spend 5 minutes every day working on my Cert IV in Programming

Why just five minutes, I hear you ask? Well, it was something Bean Sidhe mentioned that really struck a chord with me. You see, my mind freaks out at the thought of having to find a large amount of time to do something. But five minutes? Five minutes is easy.

To ensure I complete it, I've stuck a sticky note on my monitor to remind me.

FOLLOW BAREFOOT INVESTOR PLANS

My sister lent me her copy of The Barefoot Investor and I've had a read through and think it will work really well for me. 

I've had to adjust the percentages that he recommends but my weekly budget should look like:

Daily Expenses - 70%

Smile (money for long-term pleasure buying) - 7.5%

Splurge (money for short-term pleasure buying) - 7.5%

Fire Extinguisher (use this towards debts) - 15%

You're also meant to set aside $2,000 for your Mojo account (which is what you use in emergency situations like job loss, unforeseen medical expenses). I still need to find the money for this.

My steps for this goal is:

2. Change my bank account details with work to my new accounts

3. Stick to the percentages

4. Save Fire Extinguisher in my Smile account for the five weeks then make an additional payment towards my student debt

5. Organise all items I'm putting up for sale - picture/catalogue as required (the money from this will go to my Mojo account

FOLLOW NO SHOPPING PLANS

This idea comes from Cait Flanders' blog where she spent two years without shopping (except for necessities and items on a pre-approved list). As someone who hoards things as badly as a dragon which just causes her stress and anxiety, this is something I'd like to do. However there are a few differences between Cait and myself. Namely, I'm a homeowner and she isn't. 

So now that I've told you I'm not buying things, here is everything I'll be buying in 2018+

The Essentials

• Groceries
  • Gardening Supplies
  • Toiletries
  • Cleaning products
  • Gifts
  • Business expenses
  • Education endeavours
  • Travel/adventures
  • Items on my pre-approved shopping list

Pre-Approved Shopping List (it's a long one)

• Dog door Installation
  • Computer chair
  • Aircon installation
  • Standing desk
  • Garden remodel
  • Dishwasher installation
  • Outdoor table & chairs
  • Shelf system to cover bathroom window
  • New Samsung dvd remote
  • Car service/parts replacement
  • Door makeover items - incl. handle
  • Bicycle & helmet

What I WONT Be Buying

• Clothes (unless I lose weight and have nothing to wear)
  • Shoes & accessories
  • Books and magazines
  • Household items
  • Electronics & appliances
  • Takeout food
  • Desserts (I can however buy ingredients to make a dessert, just can't bring home pre-made ones)
  • Alcohol (unless in a social gathering)
  • DVDs & games

The exception is that if anything I own breaks, I can buy a replacement for it.

The step for this goal is pretty much:

6. Follow the No Shopping Plans

LIFT REGULARLY

Figured as this is a fitness forum I should probably have one active goal. I miss lifting. But it's getting me to lift that is the sticking point.

So, much like the study step:

7. Spend 5 minutes lifting every day

Okay, I'm gonna go have a lie down now. :P

• Like 5

I AM SO EXCITED YOU ARE BACK!

Now that we've gotten that out of the way - yay! Love your set up for this challenge! If you weren't on the other side of the world, I would totally be your study buddy. Instead,  I'll root you along from the past. 

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Found you!  :D 

Love your goals, I'm going to have to go read Barefoot Investor now because that budgeting system is eerily similar to my vague fuzzy idea of how I want my finances to look :P 

All the following :) 

10 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I AM SO EXCITED YOU ARE BACK!

Now that we've gotten that out of the way - yay! Love your set up for this challenge! If you weren't on the other side of the world, I would totally be your study buddy. Instead,  I'll root you along from the past. 

Aww, thank you! I joined the Facebook group for the course and.... yeah... there's a lot more to do than I expected there to be.

8 hours ago, Stardust said:

giphy.gif

Found you!  :D 

Love your goals, I'm going to have to go read Barefoot Investor now because that budgeting system is eerily similar to my vague fuzzy idea of how I want my finances to look :P 

All the following :) 

Eeee hihi! 

Cheers.

I like the way he sets up budgeting, and I definitely consolidated all of my super accounts into one (I somehow had two AMP accounts that I've been paying separate account fees for, cheers AMP.) Haven't got passed the initial setup stages in the book but going to read through it this challenge so I can hand it back to my sister.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

Okay, I'm gonna go have a lie down now. :P

Glad you're here! Your goals look great. I like how you've taken bits of what you know needs to be done and used them as goals. It's very practical. 

Following.

12 hours ago, annyshay said:

Hi there! Challenge looks awesome.

12 hours ago, Khuja said:

Looks good, and best of luck!!!

10 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Glad you're here! Your goals look great. I like how you've taken bits of what you know needs to be done and used them as goals. It's very practical. 

Following.

Thanks peeps! Good luck to all of you as well :)

Today my sister and her boyfriend came over to see if they could fix my garage door which hasn't been closing properly. The answer is no unfortunately so I need to look into someone coming and fixing it now which will mean $$. :(

Also, I'm going to go buy a bike tomorrow (it's on the list) so.. um... spending is going interestingly so to speak :P

Along with the bad news my sister also brought a bunch of stuff for me to try and on sell for her. I'll definitely have enough for a well stocked garage sale at this rate!

This has displaced my squat rack though which is currently chilling out in the garage instead of the gym but I'll make sure it's put well enough together to do some lifting by tomorrow. Or just do lifts without the rack. Whatever is needed.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

Whatever is needed

Solid philosophy. I didn't have kettle bells, so I filled some empty cat litter tubs with water. Works like a charm. :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Solid philosophy. I didn't have kettle bells, so I filled some empty cat litter tubs with water. Works like a charm. :)

I'm privileged in that I have a home gym in my second garage. Currently set up with a squat rack, 20kg barbell, more weights than I can manage (not bumper plates though :( ). I also have a kettlebell which I think is 5kg.... I am so proud of myself, I actually went out to check the kettlebell. It's 8kg.

Unfortunately my home gym is currently in a state of disarray as I'm holding a garage sale in the future and everything is in there. However also in there is my new bike!

It's like this one (baby blue colour) but mine's a 7 speed - https://www.reidcycles.com.au/vintage-ladies-3-speed-deluxe.html

I got it second hand and it was on my approved purchases list so I'm okay with this.

Today has had some issues.

I woke up to discover that I had left the gas oven on all night. Expensive (and potentially deadly) mistake.

I went to my local ATM to get cash out for the bike sale, only for it to be out of order.

I went to Bunnings to get a bike pump, only to be told that the Bunnings in my area isn't allowed to sell them.

I got the bike (yay) only to spend 30 minutes in the hot sun trying to get it into my car.

The minute I got into my car, do you know what my brain said?

This is too much. I want a cold shake. I want McDonald's. I don't want to go home and have to put together a salad. I deserve McDonald's after this.

When I am sad and things aren't going my way in the moment I instantly turn to comfort foods.

But I am very proud to say that I came straight home. Got the bike out of the car (eventually), learnt how to fix a slipped chain on it and went inside to relax a little bit.

After relaxing, which also included some nerve-wracking custom games of PUBG, I went and did five minutes of lifting. This consisted of using the 20kg barbell to do 2x5 of overhead presses and 3x5 back squats. The back squats felt good, I was struggling the second round of overhead presses. I should have probably only used my 5kg barbell with some weights for those but I had the 20kg bar there and decided to just do it. I actually went a little over my time to finish off the last set of back squats too.

Next, spending 5 minutes on my course!

So I read the page, get to the coding activity aaaaaand. Apparently I uninstalled Eclipse. Oops.

I think to my self about how I'm going to have to redo all the coding activities (I'm not that far into it so it's not too bad).

Install Eclipse (five minutes have run out by now) open it up aaaand THERE'S MY TASKS!

They're all saved in a folder on my desktop. Phew!

This evening I'll probably work on organising some of the items to be sold. 

How's everyone's first day gone/going?

• Like 5

Here for the follows. Im making it a point to follow one of each guild Im debating so youre the lady for me in this one. I feel you on some of those goals. Im trying to get my money under control and get hideous medical bills paid off so Ill have to check out this Barefoot Investor! Thanks. *settles in for the long term...or 4 weeks. Ahem*

Excellent awareness about the desire for easy food after a hard task. That sort of awareness is exactly what you need to make better choices and take excellent care of yourself!

13 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

When I am sad and things aren't going my way in the moment I instantly turn to comfort foods.

I know this feeling. But good on you for overcoming.

10 hours ago, Stardust said:

Oh lawd on the oven! Dad has done that before, now I have to check every night or I can't sleep!

Good job on not hitting Macca's and getting your bike :D

I don't think I'll be doing it again, that's for sure. 

Hopefully the gas bill isn't too big.

8 hours ago, ValkyrieRising said:

Here for the follows. Im making it a point to follow one of each guild Im debating so youre the lady for me in this one. I feel you on some of those goals. Im trying to get my money under control and get hideous medical bills paid off so Ill have to check out this Barefoot Investor! Thanks. *settles in for the long term...or 4 weeks. Ahem*

Hihi, thanks for the follow! I think this challenge is 5 weeks long, which means you get a whole week of me extra for free :D

The Barefoot Investor is Australian but a lot of his advice can be applied to other countries, it'll just be finding accounts/etc that match his descriptions.

6 hours ago, annyshay said:

Excellent awareness about the desire for easy food after a hard task. That sort of awareness is exactly what you need to make better choices and take excellent care of yourself!

Thanks Annyshay :)

6 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

I know this feeling. But good on you for overcoming.

Thanks Wolfen :)

So, I am super tired this morning.

Did not end up doing any item organisation last night as I ended up playing a few rounds of PUBG with one of my online friends who hasn't been on over the holidays. We did pretty well, I need to learn to not rush stuff and just sit back. And to remember to reload/change guns in the middle of a fight instead of panicking xD

So far today I have put a load of washing on (just heard the beep, need to go hang it out), gone through a box of mending and pared it down to two dresses that I'd actually want to wear again if they were mended, caught up on online stuff and now I'm thinking of going through more things to get rid of stuff I'm not using.

I'll probably do what I did yesterday and do my exercise/study in the afternoon. Not sure how I'm going to go when I go back to work - maybe train myself to do the exercise before my morning shower or do I switch to evening showers and exercise once I get home?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

maybe train myself to do the exercise before my morning shower or do I switch to evening showers and exercise once I get home?

Sounds like an excellent experiment to conduct during this challenge. :) I play with both depending on my life and schedule.

23 hours ago, StarlordPhoenix said:

Hey, just now following along (better late, than never, right?). You have some awesome goals, both for this challenge and for the year. 

Exactly! Glad to see you here :)

9 hours ago, annyshay said:

Sounds like an excellent experiment to conduct during this challenge. :) I play with both depending on my life and schedule.

I'm thinking that nights would work better for me, I just actually need to do the work to make it happen.

Yesterday was good. Completed my goals. Had salads for lunch and dinner.

This time with weights I did 6x10 bench press with a 5kg bar.

Actually enjoyed the section of my course (they still don't explain things in a way that my brain understands, but once I get the answer I then understand what they were trying to say).

Think I'm going to have to go in to work today (I'm meant to be on holidays) which is a shame but just something that needs to be done.

• Like 2

Spent a bit of time at work yesterday and going back there today for some longer hours.

I've continued on meeting my goals so far. Yesterday I did 6x5 30kg deadlifts and 15 OHP 5kg. Got more than 5 minutes of study in because I figure if I start a chapter I might as well finish the whole thing including the task at the end. I'm beginning to understand what they're talking about a bit better which has helped with completing it.

Struggling a little with sleep but that's because I've been struggling with my emotions lately. I know the cause and all but I guess it's because the memories are still fresh so I'm still experiencing pain from them. As time goes on it'll be a little less constant and I'll find happier memories to bring to the forefront of my mind instead of these negative ones.

Probably the one goal I haven't been focusing much on is preparing for selling my items. I did do a HUGE fabric de-stash but I need to measure and catalogue everything so I can put it online still.

Today is my weekly grocery shopping trip. I have my shopping list so I don't try to spend money on any extras.

Here's what I'm planning to buy:

Dog Roll

Dog Biscuits

Eggs

Capsicums

Lettuce

Cherry/Grape Tomatoes (get double)

Cucumber

Spinach

Jar of gherkins

Olives

Some form of snacky fruit

Perfume

Meats

This should last me a week of food. I'm planning to make breakfast muffins using ham pieces I have in my freezer, cheese in my fridge + the eggs, additional tomatoes and spinach on my list.

The rest pretty much goes towards making myself salads for lunch and dinner.

Snacky fruit in case I need to replace the sugar cravings I'll have once the icecream in my fridge runs out.

For meats I try and get stuff that's already pre-cooked. It's probably not the best meat but I've found my brain doesn't seem to like the idea of cooking meats lately however Coles does these packaged chicken & pork meats that I can use + the packs of salmon they have as well.

Alright, I need to get ready for work. Hope everyone's challenge is going well.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

Today is my weekly grocery shopping trip. I have my shopping list so I don't try to spend money on any extras.

Here's what I'm planning to buy:

Dog Roll

Dog Biscuits

Eggs

Capsicums

Lettuce

Cherry/Grape Tomatoes (get double)

Cucumber

Spinach

Jar of gherkins

Olives

Some form of snacky fruit

Perfume

Meats

I read the last two as perfumed meats and I was sitting here wondering what perfumed meats were and how they would taste. Then I realized how stupid I was being. :) I feel you on the sleep thing. Its like the moment I made it a goal now suddenly getting to sleep is not happening whereas before it just happened naturally. Just keep bringing those good memories forward and blunt the edges until you can sleep nicely.

14 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

Hope everyone's challenge is going well.

Thank you. Other than some small hiccups, mine is going well. Looks like you're seeing some real growth already. Keep it up!

Oh man, I actually forgot you live in Australia because I was super confused as to how being out in the sun for a half hour was a bad thing or why you were trying to have a garage sale in winter... Something like 95% of the Nerds I follow live in North America and Europe and I'm fairly certain even in the southern states it's not great outside. :P Then I read capsicums (I don't know anyone outside of Australia who calls peppers capsicums) and my brain clicked and it all made sense again haha!

I'm totally joining you on the no shopping goal as well. Although I think this might be a touch easier for me than you simple because I do NOT want to go out wandering around in the cold to go shopping for anything other than groceries. And even then I don't want to get more than I need since carting it all home on my back when there's a whole lot of snow on the ground isn't fun :P

Good luck!

On 1/4/2018 at 9:41 PM, ValkyrieRising said:

I read the last two as perfumed meats and I was sitting here wondering what perfumed meats were and how they would taste. Then I realized how stupid I was being. :) I feel you on the sleep thing. Its like the moment I made it a goal now suddenly getting to sleep is not happening whereas before it just happened naturally. Just keep bringing those good memories forward and blunt the edges until you can sleep nicely.

Mmm delicious perfumed meats :P

I keep waking up overly early no matter how early or late I fall asleep. I suspect it's my subconscious telling me to check online to see whether my partner is on which is a habit I really need to break.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:43 PM, Wolfen said:

Thank you. Other than some small hiccups, mine is going well. Looks like you're seeing some real growth already. Keep it up!

Glad to hear yours is going well :) 

On 1/5/2018 at 4:41 AM, Leigh said:

Oh man, I actually forgot you live in Australia because I was super confused as to how being out in the sun for a half hour was a bad thing or why you were trying to have a garage sale in winter... Something like 95% of the Nerds I follow live in North America and Europe and I'm fairly certain even in the southern states it's not great outside. :P Then I read capsicums (I don't know anyone outside of Australia who calls peppers capsicums) and my brain clicked and it all made sense again haha!

I'm totally joining you on the no shopping goal as well. Although I think this might be a touch easier for me than you simple because I do NOT want to go out wandering around in the cold to go shopping for anything other than groceries. And even then I don't want to get more than I need since carting it all home on my back when there's a whole lot of snow on the ground isn't fun :P

Good luck!

Haha, yes I'm a cursed Australian :P Today it is so hot that all of Australia is on the highest UV index as well!

IDY00508.gif

The exercise and study goals continue to go well. If I'm in the middle of something when the five minutes ends I have so far kept going in order to finish which is good of me.

Today I'll do bench press for the lifting (I've been alternating between OHP, bench, squat & deadlift). Can't wait until I get my gym back in order.

I cooked a batch of my chili for emergency meals two days ago. I used one of them on dinner. It was good. Otherwise it's been salad for my meals - lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, olives, bread & butter cucumbers (like gherkins) and whatever meat I put on top. I came to realise that the meat is rather expensive when I did my latest shopping trip so I will probably try to split the packs into three instead of two like I have been. That and maybe switch out some of the meals and have egg instead of meat. Or cheese even. 

Have been majorly procrastinating on garage sale stuff. Will write out what needs to be done for that today and see what I can start working on.

At the moment, along with writing this blog post I am working out my budget using YNAB (You Need A Budget). I spoke to my coworker about splitting my income into two accounts and she said that was fine I just need to give her the new account details and how I want to split it on Monday.

Last night I played and streamed Ballistic Overkill with some online friends. The game is fun but we played on an official server and had some salty people join. One person was really good but was being a snot so I decided to stop a little earlier than I would have liked. I'm sure that person also complains about how the Australian servers are dead and there's no one to play with.

• Like 2

I have never heard of the Barefoot Investor, but you are definitely making me curious about it. I have wanted to get into budgeting for awhile, but I have yet to put a lot of effort and research into it. It sounds like this is a very minimalistic and intentional approach. Is that correct? I am all about the minimalist and intentional living life (and the frugal life, because I am a recent college grad, aka, I am poor, haha).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StarlordPhoenix said:

I have never heard of the Barefoot Investor, but you are definitely making me curious about it. I have wanted to get into budgeting for awhile, but I have yet to put a lot of effort and research into it. It sounds like this is a very minimalistic and intentional approach. Is that correct? I am all about the minimalist and intentional living life (and the frugal life, because I am a recent college grad, aka, I am poor, haha).

I would describe it as minimalistic and intentional. Don't know if he would.

It's not really a budgeting system apart from directing you on how much you should be spending in each area (general expenses, short term expenses, long term expenses and emergency savings). I use YNAB to track my budget in a more detailed manner but I use the basis of Barefoot Investor to decide where to send my money.

He's very much someone that wants to set stuff up and then not have to focus on it which is good for me because with my memory I would forget payments. And he's about living the good life, not the cheap (but ultimately more expensive) life.

• Like 2