• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

pureleeawesome

Pureleeawesome's Battlegrounds

I just spent a few days hiking with a guy that sold me on the Barefoot investor when he whipped out a debit card with the word 'splurge' on it to pay for dinner on NYE. I'm planning to see if I can borrow it from the library (as part of my frugal 2018 I'm reacquainting myself with this free resource.)

As an Aussie I marvel at the northerners getting outside in the cold while I'm hiding inside because it's too hot.

1 hour ago, Skywalker said:

I just spent a few days hiking with a guy that sold me on the Barefoot investor when he whipped out a debit card with the word 'splurge' on it to pay for dinner on NYE. I'm planning to see if I can borrow it from the library (as part of my frugal 2018 I'm reacquainting myself with this free resource.)

Awesome! I borrowed my copy off my sister - I had it on my Christmas list and she mentioned she already had a copy.

Well worth the read just to reconsider your mindset regarding finances I think.

So you are as hot as I am cold. We should send each other some weather and maybe itll even out in the middle for us both. That said we've got tons of sunshine here. Just the kind that's so bright it reflects off snow and makes you blind. So just send warmth, not sunshine. lol

I get you on playing with salty people. I had to do some PvP on my WoW this week and the salt was real. It was like the dead sea up in the server. Im pretty sure I could have mined it and sold it for a small fortune at this rate. 

On 1/6/2018 at 2:52 AM, pureleeawesome said:

I would describe it as minimalistic and intentional. Don't know if he would.

It's not really a budgeting system apart from directing you on how much you should be spending in each area (general expenses, short term expenses, long term expenses and emergency savings). I use YNAB to track my budget in a more detailed manner but I use the basis of Barefoot Investor to decide where to send my money.

He's very much someone that wants to set stuff up and then not have to focus on it which is good for me because with my memory I would forget payments. And he's about living the good life, not the cheap (but ultimately more expensive) life.

I like that way of thinking. Live the good life you can afford not the cheap life thats not really cheap. I struggle with trying to decide whats worth it and whats not on my purchases. I have a horrible mindset that says 20 cheap pants for work that last six months if Im lucky is better than 80-100 pants that will last years. 

• Like 1

In defense of cheap pants for work, I think it's all about comfort. Because I know I can drop like $65+ on a pair of black capris for work at a women's wear store and they'll last a few years, but they are not as comfortable as the $12 version I can get from the work out section of Walmart. So I think comfort while you search for durable but expensive is a worthwhile investment. The thing so many of us forget is that we need to keep looking for the better pants before the cheap ones wear out :P

It's also frustrating as someone who lives on just above minimum wage to invest in the better quality things in life that will cost less in the long run. Because when you need new pants or shoes, or a coat RIGHT NOW and only have $50, you can only do so much. I am always baffled by my wealthier friends when they can't wrap their head around how I live with only $50 in my back account 4 days after I've been paid. I hope to look back on my life in a year or two and also be baffled by this, but sadly it is my current reality :P

• Like 2

On 1/9/2018 at 2:05 AM, ValkyrieRising said:

So you are as hot as I am cold. We should send each other some weather and maybe itll even out in the middle for us both. That said we've got tons of sunshine here. Just the kind that's so bright it reflects off snow and makes you blind. So just send warmth, not sunshine. lol

I get you on playing with salty people. I had to do some PvP on my WoW this week and the salt was real. It was like the dead sea up in the server. Im pretty sure I could have mined it and sold it for a small fortune at this rate. 

I like that way of thinking. Live the good life you can afford not the cheap life thats not really cheap. I struggle with trying to decide whats worth it and whats not on my purchases. I have a horrible mindset that says 20 cheap pants for work that last six months if Im lucky is better than 80-100 pants that will last years. 

*giggles at the WoW comment* I need to find games that are co-op but not online vs other players I think. I've had a few game ideas, if only I had the talents to put them into production.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:14 AM, Leigh said:

In defense of cheap pants for work, I think it's all about comfort. Because I know I can drop like $65+ on a pair of black capris for work at a women's wear store and they'll last a few years, but they are not as comfortable as the $12 version I can get from the work out section of Walmart. So I think comfort while you search for durable but expensive is a worthwhile investment. The thing so many of us forget is that we need to keep looking for the better pants before the cheap ones wear out :P

It's also frustrating as someone who lives on just above minimum wage to invest in the better quality things in life that will cost less in the long run. Because when you need new pants or shoes, or a coat RIGHT NOW and only have $50, you can only do so much. I am always baffled by my wealthier friends when they can't wrap their head around how I live with only $50 in my back account 4 days after I've been paid. I hope to look back on my life in a year or two and also be baffled by this, but sadly it is my current reality :P

For sure, for sure. Comfortable and durable is the ideal, comfortable if not. There's no point buying something you're not comfortable in because you're just not going to wear it which equals money lost/misused :P

I'm suffering a bit of a bigger bout of depression at the moment so I'm not going to be very wordy with this update.

Goals?

1. Spend 5 minutes every day working on my Cert IV in Programming

This has been happening. Some days I have even gone longer. I still really don't like how they present their information but the Facebook group has some good ideas, it will just require more of a time commitment.

2. Change my bank account details with work to my new accounts

Done!

3. Stick to the percentages

I forgot the Fire Extinguisher this last pay but otherwise have been doing so.

4. Save Fire Extinguisher in my Smile account for the five weeks then make an additional payment towards my student debt

Need to remember to do this

5. Organise all items I'm putting up for sale - picture/catalogue as required (the money from this will go to my Mojo account

Still haven't done anything regarding this. Maybe this weekend?

6. Follow the No Shopping Plans

Continuing to do so!

7. Spend 5 minutes lifting every day

Every day but one so far! My elbow was paining and there was a bit of depression happening so I decided it was better for me to not.

I already have ideas for new goals once this challenge is over. I feel like I made the challenge a little easy on myself but at least I will pass which will give me motivation to keep working on succeeding in my challenges.

Definitely going to up the study time to 10 mins, keep the exercise time but make the goal that I write down what I've done (so I can work on improving weight & reps) and next challenge is going to be all about self care.

• Like 5

On 1/12/2018 at 6:20 PM, pureleeawesome said:

I already have ideas for new goals once this challenge is over. I feel like I made the challenge a little easy on myself but at least I will pass which will give me motivation to keep working on succeeding in my challenges.

Definitely going to up the study time to 10 mins, keep the exercise time but make the goal that I write down what I've done (so I can work on improving weight & reps) and next challenge is going to be all about self care.

I sometimes set low-bar challenges, which I find really helpful for habit-building. I tend to get overwhelmed if I try to take on too much, and then I feel like my goals are just too hard or too time consuming. I find easy goals make it easier for me to get into the habit of doing things regularly without too much required commitment, so instead of, "eh, I am too tired," or "ugh, I don't have time," I think, "it will only take a few minutes and really isn't that hard. Might as well."

I also highly support a self-care challenge. They are great :) 

• Like 2

Last year during the England portion of my holiday I was lying alone in bed in my tiny hotel room when I had a panic attack.

The panic attacks are nothing unusual, I have them near daily.

What was unusual was that I called out for the guy I had been chatting to online at the end of it, instead of my mom.

I was sunk. Once my tour was over I made changes to my holiday to meet him in Denmark instead of continue around Italy by myself.

It was great. I was so very unwell but I still had the best time. Also, Denmark is amazing.

I came back to Perth and things didn't go so very well. Little to no communication. An obvious lack of interest.

He broke up with me last month, hence the depression.

Overall I am coping better than I have with other break ups. This time I did not lose so much of myself in dating someone and it's more the lack of him being around that is hurting. I wake up and wish he was there to talk to. He is not. I cry. I move on with my day.

This is the last time I will write about this.

I'm already onto online dating but not sure if I'm ready to meet anyone new. Also going to a nerdy speed dating thing later this month.

I'll be fine, I just wish I was there already.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So, due to the above I struggled to meet my goals this challenge. However these goals were always designed to continue on after the challenge and I will get myself to my overall end goals.

Currently one of my struggles is all the stuff everywhere in my house that is for the garage sale. It all needs to go!

So, for now I'm going to focus on getting that shit gone.

Process:

Separate items out that I think will sell online

Price everything

Take photos/measurements of items to sell online

Try to sell stuff online

Advertise a garage sale

Hold garage sale

See what's left

Once that's sorted I can get my gym back into order and hopefully get back onto the lifting wagon.

For now I have installed a pull up bar in the door way of my computer room. Any time I walk in or out of the room I give it a try.

I also have new travel goals! After all, this is an Adventurers forum, so one should probably try and do something adventurous, am I right or am I right?

September - 3 days in Rottnest for my birthday

Decemember - take advantage of the work Christmas break and go on a safari like tour in South Africa

March '19 - ANTARCTICA TOUR?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Like 4