• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

fireandlight

Fireandlight Begins Again

Recommended Posts

I have a confession: I did no meditation yesterday. I recognized I hadn’t done it, had time and perhaps some of the energy to do it (without falling asleep) but I just didn’t want to.

It’s probably a sign that I needed to even more than other nights, but I just couldn’t seem to muster the will to do it over sitting on the couch and watching TV.

I feel only slightly guilty about it, but considering that I’m averaging almost 10 minutes across all my other days...I don’t quite care as much.

That aside, things are good. Well on my way to earning my large prize for workouts as well as for yoga.
Having to back track a bit on my block at the hotel since they are being royal pains about it for everyone who tries to book. Should have that squared away by tomorrow though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fireandlight said:


But dirt is so much fun!

 

Yes, dirt is fun. But since I also work in a biology lab, biohazard "dirt" Is less fun.

 

However, today I spent part of the day helping Youngest's class learn that dissecting a squid is fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fireandlight said:

I have a confession: I did no meditation yesterday. I recognized I hadn’t done it, had time and perhaps some of the energy to do it (without falling asleep) but I just didn’t want to.

It’s probably a sign that I needed to even more than other nights, but I just couldn’t seem to muster the will to do it over sitting on the couch and watching TV.

I feel only slightly guilty about it, but considering that I’m averaging almost 10 minutes across all my other days...I don’t quite care as much.

That aside, things are good. Well on my way to earning my large prize for workouts as well as for yoga.
Having to back track a bit on my block at the hotel since they are being royal pains about it for everyone who tries to book. Should have that squared away by tomorrow though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

One day missed is not the end of the world. Just make sure you get it done today, and you will be back on track. Keep it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, last week could have gone better.

 

Wednesday I was so exhausted we fell asleep at 8:30 before I had a chance to do meditation, and remained busy enough the rest of the week that I also failed to finish my 3rd yoga session. Definitely learning that I need to pay more attention to my goals while traveling. I usually don't have to go this much, but I can't let it set me back so much when I do.

 

That said, things have been going really well. If I make my workout today (I'm planning to do 20 minutes of yoga when I get home from my Nephew's birthday party) then I've reached by Large Loot goal (yippee) for Quest #2. Wrapped up the last of the wedding tasks last week.

 

Although I've missed 3 meditation sessions, with 1 exception I didn't intentionally miss them and since my average is still well above my minimum for my small loot qualifier, if I can maintain this and not miss any more during work travel next week I'll consider it earned. As for Yoga, if I can make up for the 1 session I missed last week, and still get my 3 left for this week, I'd say I've earned the goal.

 

Going back to double check my loot again though because I feel like I forgot some thing that I could really use when I was putting those goals together, and no harm in shifting things around as long as the general value is the same IMO. Almost there!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 2:54 PM, fireandlight said:

Well, last week could have gone better.

 

Wednesday I was so exhausted we fell asleep at 8:30 before I had a chance to do meditation, and remained busy enough the rest of the week that I also failed to finish my 3rd yoga session. Definitely learning that I need to pay more attention to my goals while traveling. I usually don't have to go this much, but I can't let it set me back so much when I do.

 

Traveling is super hard on goals. It can really throw the whole world in the air. And I think your body needed the sleep. It happens, and that is okay because sleep is a needed thing (trust me, I know).

 

On 1/29/2018 at 2:54 PM, fireandlight said:

That said, things have been going really well. If I make my workout today (I'm planning to do 20 minutes of yoga when I get home from my Nephew's birthday party) then I've reached by Large Loot goal (yippee) for Quest #2. Wrapped up the last of the wedding tasks last week.

 

Did you get the workout in? And way to go on making the large loot goal.

 

On 1/29/2018 at 2:54 PM, fireandlight said:

Although I've missed 3 meditation sessions, with 1 exception I didn't intentionally miss them and since my average is still well above my minimum for my small loot qualifier, if I can maintain this and not miss any more during work travel next week I'll consider it earned. As for Yoga, if I can make up for the 1 session I missed last week, and still get my 3 left for this week, I'd say I've earned the goal.

 

If it helps, I agree. You earned the goal. Great job

 

On 1/29/2018 at 2:54 PM, fireandlight said:

Going back to double check my loot again though because I feel like I forgot some thing that I could really use when I was putting those goals together, and no harm in shifting things around as long as the general value is the same IMO. Almost there!

 

I think this is a fair statement. Sometimes what you needed a month ago may not be what would be the best loot now. Just like habits, loot can be modified as well.

 

Great job. Keep it up

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final summary, goals first:

 

QUEST 1:  Love thyself, Part I

  • CRITERIA: Meditate for 5 minutes each day
  • RESULTS: 
    • 30/33 sessions
    • 9m 19s average per session
  • LOOT ACHIEVED: Small prize: Full body massage

QUEST 2: Round is not the shape I want to be, Part I

  • CRITERIA: Hit the gym every Monday for a minimum of 20 minutes
  • RESULTS:
    • 5/5 Mondays
    • Extra Workouts: 8
  • LOOT ACHIEVED: Large prize: YETI Water Bottle

QUEST 3: Let’s get hitched, Part I

  • CRITERIA: Complete the following tasks by the end of the challenge
    • Book block of hotel rooms
    • Research decorations
    • Go to Men’s Warehouse with C by January 30
    • Setup gift registry
  • RESULTS:
    • 5/5 tasks completed

QUEST 4: Better to bend than break, Part I

  • CRITERIA: Complete 3 yoga sessions per week (5-10 minutes per session)
  • RESULTS: 14/15 sessions
  • LOOT ACHIEVED: Asana Rebel Subscription (Annual) 

I've decided I've earned the loot for both meditation and yoga even though I fell ever so slightly short of my goals. I put a good amount of effort into each of them, and the result of missing the goals wasn't for lack of trying.

 

Meditation, I decided to forego the large loot on the account that I had deliberately missed a day, but I did reach well about the large loot average even missing 3 days. Yoga, since I averaged well about the 5-10 minute goal - that too seemed worthy of a reward despite the one missed session.

 

I have always been a person who hates yoga. I've always found it so boring and dull. I decided to really give it a shot in the past couple of months, and I've actually found I really like it. Approaching it as an exercise in improving my flexibility has really seemed to improve my outlook, and I think I'll continue on with it throughout the year in varying ways.

 

Keeping myself to a specific day at the gym also helped. In the past I've approached workouts in just the aimless sense of "x number of days per week", which usually results in my putting off the workouts for the first part of the week, and then scrambling to get them or giving up toward the latter half of the week. This time it seemed much easier to just remind myself that "it's just today, after today is all up to you and is bonus points". It proved a good way to get me back into the swing of things, and I surprisingly look forward to at least a couple of days of working out at least (although I ended up doing mostly yoga at home, not at the gym per-se).

 

The wedding planning goal ended up being the most underwhelming. I've begun to rethink it a bit for the next round - filling in a bunch of more minor tasks that aren't the big ones I track in the planning app I use. That said - it did help to keep my focus on what was needed for right now, and it felt good to be able to really cross some of those items off.

 

All in all, I'm happy with how the challenge went. I don't feel like I had any major breakthroughs, but I went into this hoping for a fresh start and I feel like that's what I got. I want to build on it from here and see how far I can really go this year. Onward to the next one!

 

Thanks to everyone who followed along!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now