• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

Ensi: The Beasts Of The New Year

gif-ocean-sunset-travel-water-Favim.com-

The Viking Village is now behind me, and I'm aboard Libera, the library ship of the seven seas. It's a large ship with a lot of crew, and it's heading towards Summer Islands in a few months. I decided that sailing with them would be safer for me than navigating the sea alone, and I can also gather some gold by working as a librarian. My own ship is being towed by Libera, and I still spend my free time there.

In addition to working at the library, I have been given the responsibility of taking care of the ship's two dogs and a cat (there are more aboard, but the caretaker of these three was taken by a kraken a couple of weeks ago - I need to check the safety regulations of this ship). The dogs are named Savannah and Peregrin, and the cat is named Cannoball. I have been given clear instructions on how to care for all the animals.

What all the animals need:

~: 30 minutes of walking on the deck every day :~

+1 point

~: regular meals with healthy ingredients :~

+1 point for every homemade lunch/dinner

Savannah

tumblr_nwmwokrquN1qfil96o1_500.gif

Savannah is highly intelligent, and needs to learn something every day to keep her from being bored.

~: study for (at least) 15 minutes every day (any subject will do) :~

+1 point for every 15 minutes

~: read 10 pages of fictional text every day :~

+1 point for every 10 pages

~: complete one drawing a week on Photoshop to learn new techniques :~

+1 point for every drawing

Peregrin

giphy.gif

Peregrin is a laid back dog, who doesn't worry about much. Nevertheless, his previous owner was abusive, and now he thinks he's a bad boy. Peregrin needs to be convinced that he's a good boy.

~: change the negative ideas :~

I'm unworthy -> I deserve the good things in my life

~: remove restrictions, add High Quality Content to life :~

drawing

photography

reading

adventuring

socializing etc.

~: journal 5 times a week :~

+1 point for every journal entry

Cannonball

cat-yoga.gif

Cannonball is still young, and I need to help her build up a good foundation for her life as a ship cat. 

~: prioritize sleep: go to bed when you start feeling tired :~

+ 1 point every time I do this

~: do a bit of yoga daily, and a longer practice when you have time :~

+1 point for every yoga practice, +2 points for a long practice

I am glad to start taking care of these lovely animals, and I hope that we'll have a good time together!

• Like 7

** reserved for tracking **

Earning 1 point turns O to O. If animal has more than 80 % green per week, its mood is :). If it gets 60 % to 79 %, the mood is :I. If score < 60 %, the mood is :(.

How to read

Example Beast

read (5): O O O O O + O O

run (3): O O O

The "read (5)" goal is to read a certain amount of pages 5 days a week. I have already read the minimum amount every day, and the green circles after + are the additional pages I've read. So, if my goal was to read 10 pages a day, I would have 7 x 10 = 70 pages in already.

The run goal would be to run three days a week. I have already run 2 times, and I still have one red circle I need to turn green.

WEEK 1: 2/1 to 7/1

Savannah :)

study (7): O O O O O O O 

read (7): O O O O O O O

paint (1): O

Peregrin :)

journal (5): O O O O O

Cannonball :)

sleep (5): O O O O O

yoga (7): O O O O O O O

WEEK 2: 8/1 to 14/1

Savannah :)

Peregrin :)

journal/taking care of mental health (5): O O O O O

Cannonball :I

yoga (7): O O O O O O

WEEK 3: 15/1 to 21/1

- inadequate tracking due to work being hectic -

WEEK 4: 22/1 to 28/1

Savannah

Peregrin

Cannonball

WEEK 5: 29/1 to 4/2

Savannah

Peregrin

Cannonball

• Like 4

Welcome to my new challenge! :) I realized that I've been playing NF all wrong: RPG's have never been my thing. I grew up playing Zoo Tycoon and the Sims, where the focus wasn't on leveling up a character, but taking care of systems that I created. So, I haven't really tried this sort of a challenge before, but I'm curious to see how it plays out. I'm gonna add the tracking system to the post above a bit later.

• Like 7

Shark Week is starting, and I've felt a bit low today. The good side to this is that I realized that I should include more fats to my diet: It could help me feel more satiated, and possibly even out my wacky hormones and such. I've neglected having enough fats, and I notice that I have to eat a big volume of food to feel satiated - but then I just feel uncomfortably full, and hungry soon again. So, bring in the fat!! Olive oil, full-fat dairy, avocados...

tumblr_mvdqxtFVBW1r2zyogo1_400.gif

2018 goal #1: become a hot avocado

Again, I'm not gonna start a diet or anything, just be more mindful about having enough healthy fats; I started with some salmon and oven roasted veggies for lunch! I've struggled with my intuitive eating practice lately, but I notice that having salmon is already making me feel more balanced. I'm not gonna limit carbs, either, but pay more attention to the quality: veggies (even the starchy ones), oats, fruit and all such are still on the menu! And I thought about having some dark chocolate and nuts for my afternoon coffee snack :P This feels like the right way to go, so I'm gonna go for it and see how I'll feel by the end of this challenge!

It's New Year's Eve, and I have no plans for the evening. My throat hurt in the morning, and I had horrible nightmares, so I'm gonna stay home and rest. Perhaps I'll go wild and eat a macadamia nut!! *manic laughter* Hehe, good times ahead... I also finished season 4 of Black Mirror, and I think it was rather underwhelming. Dad's loving Breaking Bad, though, and said that he might buy it on blu-ray! This makes me very happy :D

tumblr_mvdqxtFVBW1r2zyogo3_400.gif

someone seriously thought one day, "I'm gonna animate an avocado admiring its ass in the mirror today" and that's cool, everyone needs a hobby, I guess

Anyway, I wish you all a happy New Year!! We'll wake up tomorrow to a whole new year :) Looking forward to it!

• Like 6

Oooh I like how you've set this one up. As a fellow Sims and zoo tycoon fan, I eagerly await the day you think "fuck it" and delete the fence so your pet animals eat your guests.

And you're already a sexy avocado

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Oooh I like how you've set this one up. As a fellow Sims and zoo tycoon fan, I eagerly await the day you think "fuck it" and delete the fence so your pet animals eat your guests.

Yup! Leveling up myself never keeps me interested. This is how I want to play :D I also used to play an online horse game, Horse Isle, which was my favourite :< I'm actually thinking of drawing cards for my animal companions that I could upgrade weekly...

I'll try and make it to at least week 2 before I RELEASE THE CANNONBALL!

tumblr_op9tqvAUEC1tfmrz4o1_500.gif

1 hour ago, deftona said:

And you're already a sexy avocado

I'd like to find you a nice gif to answer, but I don't "sexy avocado" in my search history.

... I DID IT FOR YOU!! And I got some cute avocados:

CO_dzCcUAAA_jRH.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hi, found you :)

This is what Liam Neeson should have told that kidnapper in Taken when he found him :D Welcome, nice to have you here!

7 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

ENSI! 

Hello :)

Happy new year to you and I hope your challenge goes well <3

THEGREYJEDI-RANGER!! Uh, any shorter name I could use? :D

Happy New Year to you, too! Glad to have you aboard <3

It's officially 2018!! I went to bed around 11 PM and slept all the way to 7 AM. I don't really like staying up so late and I was spending the new year alone, so I figured that it's the morning of the New Year's Day that really starts the new year for me :) Shark Week started yesterday, so I'm taking it nice and easy today. I'm feeling better, flu-wise, so I'm gonna do light yoga today, and go for a walk. I did 2 x 20 minutes of yoga yesterday, and walked to the store get some more food. I also did some meal-prepping: salmon and oven roasted veggies. I'm all set to have a good day!

I added a couple of macadamia nuts to my regular breakfast. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but I feel more satiated and in tune with my hunger signals when I've had more fat in my meal. I'm not gonna go crazy with adding as much fat  as possible, but I'll be more mindful about getting enough. I think it will help me with cravings, too, so it'll be a win in the long run :) It's so nice to start the new year without a new diet and struggling. I'm also re-reading that "Permission To Eat" book by Gisela van der Ster (Mattillåtet in Swedish, the original title), and I'm slowly starting to remember that I can trust my body to let me know what it needs. I'm looking forwards to eating regular, balanced meals with various foods!

Another theme this year is to find my own groove, enjoy being single, and make sure that I get to do things I want to do in my life! I somehow still struggle with feeling like there's something wrong with me (or everyone else thinks that there's something wrong with me), because I'm not dating, but I also feel like I'm not willing/ready to date currently. I would like to somehow get that nagging voice out of my head, and focus on bettering myself. I guess this is just one of those "should" ideas I have in my head (like dieting, people pleasing etc.). I can always go back to worrying about not dating, so maybe I should just take one day at a time and focus on not worrying? Start thinking, instead, that I can direct my empathy, time and effort towards myself? That I'm worth it? I feel guilt about it, like I shouldn't focus on myself, because that's "selfish and narcissistic". But maybe that's not true? I'm just tired of feeling so bad and guilty about not going out and "trying harder". I don't even know what I would try, or if I'd even want to. Sigh :D Blergh. I just needed to get this out of my system. I don't need any "aww, you'll find the right person!" talk, either, because it makes it feel like people feel sorry for me. Hmm. If I talked to someone in my place, I'd tell them to focus on their work, studies and such, and that they are totally valid without dating. I just want more time to figure myself out before dragging someone in this mess T__T

Anyway, Adriene starts a new yoga programme today, and I'm looking forward to it! It's been snowing during the night, so I'm taking the Beasts out for a nice walk soon :P Have a lucky start for your new year, everyone!!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Ensi said:

THEGREYJEDI-RANGER!! Uh, any shorter name I could use? :D

Happy New Year to you, too! Glad to have you aboard <3

I usually go by Jedi as a short nickname :P

Also, I think it's super important to think of what you'd tell others in your same position. Because when you're out of practice being kind to yourself, thinking of what you'd say to others gives you perspective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

Also, I think it's super important to think of what you'd tell others in your same position. Because when you're out of practice being kind to yourself, thinking of what you'd say to others gives you perspective. 

True! And why is it OK for me that others are single, but I'm somehow worset than others? :P And indeed, I don't really care if people are single or in a relationship. It doesn't make me think of them any less...! It was good that I wrote this out here, these thoughts have been bothering me a bit too much : P Thanks for listening :)

It's been a good day :) Eating's been fine, I've gone on two walks, and I did 20 minutes of yoga (still loving the pink yoga mat). I've been mindful about my hunger signals, and adding fat has been an improvement, for sure. I've also worked with changing my thoughts about being single. I figure that I need to add joy and things I enjoy in my life. It's honestly the best medicine :D This is a phase in my life where I have a lot of time to get to know myself, and it's a waste to worry about being somehow "wrong". I talked about this with Mom on the phone, and she helped me work my thoughts, too (I hope I've already told you that Mom is awesome). I journaled a bit, and all in all, the Beasts have been taken care of today (I added the tracking system to the second post of this thread). I still need to decide on the loot. I'm thinking of a shopping trip in Helsinki next month, and visiting a yoga shop there to get some gear...! Maybe a new yoga top, and a pair of comfortable pants.

I start work tomorrow :o I have a lot to learn, but I know that I will figure everything out. And I will get instructions :D I decided that I'm going to take only one math exam this spring (the statistics course), and take the other one later on. There's a lot I'd need to study for the other course, and now that I have work, I decided to lighten my load a little. Then I have another exam on the information systems, but that's it - I will apply for the master's degree later this spring with the courses I already have.

... goddamnit my life is good. I seriously need to figure out these small brain bugs I have.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Terah said:

So smart to change to challenge to fit you, not the other way around! 

Here is a cute puppy for inspiration:

Thanks! :) I just have no interest in RPGs, so I hope this helps me keep me interested...! And aww the puppy is so cute!! :D

13 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Following, because 1) I love how you have tweaked the structure to fit what you love best, and 2) you have the cutest challenge on all of NF.

Thank you, and welcome aboard! :)

102803-Happy-Puppy.gif?1

Phew, it was a hectic day at work! Hectic, but not overwhelming :) I was on my feet through the most of the day, so the Beasts got a lot of exercise. I also walked home by a bit longer route. I'm gonna make a study plan for the remaining two exams I have (Savannah's gonna love it haha), and once those exams are done, I only need to think about the work. Hurah!

There was a definite #TRIGGERED moment during lunch, though :D An older female colleague had her lunch with me. Her lunch was a portion of plain turkey with vegetables, and I think there was 250 calories on her plate, tops. She started talking about how she's started a web based programme: "I took it in the autumn, too, but I need it again, because I would just start eating senselessly. I can't eat without a diet, I would gain weight endlessly... The diet doesn't allow many carbs, especially in the evening. I would really like to have some banana in the evening, but it's forbidden, because bananas are so high in sugar and carbs."

tumblr_ovc5viDHAz1spgwzwo2_500.gif

It's the same programme I took a year ago, and I actually remember this lady being on the same diet last summer, too. I don't mind her talking about it, but I noticed that it caused me to feel extremely unpleasant. (so... I do mind?) I remembered all the rules and restrictions I used to have, and that dull and dark feeling that was always hanging around food and eating. Nevertheless, listening to her didn't make me want to start restricting or anything, on the contrary: I'm so relieved to be so far away from that shit these days :D I was hungry when I started eating my salmon with sweet potato fries and oven veggies, and the food made me feel good and satiated. I'm definitely getting back to the same place I was last summer :) I have breakfast at 6:30 AM, snack at 9:30 AM, lunch at 11:30 AM, coffee break at 2 PM, dinner at home at 4:30 PM, and an evening snack at 7 PM-ish. This worked brilliantly for me last summer, and I'm glad that I have a possibility to make a habit of it again!

Now I'm taking some rest. Adriene has uploaded her first yoga video of the programme, and I'm gonna do the practice a bit later :) Peregrin needs some attention and fun first. I went to bed last night when I got tired, but I slept somewhat lightly, so I suspect that Cannonball will want to go to bed a bit earlier today. And Savannah needs some attention, too - I'm gonna make the study plan, and practice some statistics, and I'm gonna read the Mattilåtet book for 10 pages when I go to bed.

I was walking home, and I realized that I am truly grateful for my current situation. Working on those "boohoo I'm single" thoughts and turning them into "aww yiss I'm single!!" is working. I just need to find my own way of thinking about this - finding my own opinions and values has helped me with my food anxieties and people pleasing tendencies. I think this dating anxiety is still a form of people pleasing... If I can listen to myself and understand how I feel about this question, it should help me a lot. And I think I am starting to hear myself better now :)

I hope you're all having a lovely day!

ETA; Me af :DDD

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Hi Ensi!! This is such an awesome challenge! Following to see where it goes. :)

Happy to have you!! <3 I'll go find your new challenge, too :D

It's Shark Week, and I have started a new job and I have two exams coming up. It felt like struggle to start making the study schedule, but then I remembered my role model, Elle Woods.

tumblr_mqvielaasa1sqtxtxo1_500.jpg

c6e1aac5d024c04a0f9d89f7907da3f1--happy-

10-2.gif

But also:

816dc0366079dd41f54ac83af2fcb848.jpg

I'm gonna make Elle proud this spring and become an international super blonde. Watch me!!

• Like 4

On 12/30/2017 at 1:04 AM, Ensi said:

Welcome to my new challenge! :) I realized that I've been playing NF all wrong: RPG's have never been my thing. I grew up playing Zoo Tycoon and the Sims, where the focus wasn't on leveling up a character, but taking care of systems that I created. So, I haven't really tried this sort of a challenge before, but I'm curious to see how it plays out. I'm gonna add the tracking system to the post above a bit later.

I absolutely love everything about this challenge.  the goals, the format, the tracking oh my!  

On 12/31/2017 at 7:31 AM, Ensi said:

tumblr_mvdqxtFVBW1r2zyogo3_400.gif

someone seriously thought one day, "I'm gonna animate an avocado admiring its ass in the mirror today" and that's cool, everyone needs a hobby, I guess

Like it would be any stranger than any number of conversations that lead to images of pancakes and waffles riding yaks.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Terah said:

I love legally  blond! That is a great role model to have. Good luck with your new job and exams <3

Her attitude is something I wish to imitate more so that I can one day just be like that :D And thank you <3

18 hours ago, LadyShello said:

I absolutely love everything about this challenge.  the goals, the format, the tracking oh my!  

Like it would be any stranger than any number of conversations that lead to images of pancakes and waffles riding yaks.  

Aww thanks!

giphy.gif

Haha you're right, sexy avocados are pretty standard here. Goddarnit this place makes me write weird stuff :D

It's been a lovely day! I work 50 % of the time at my old department, and 50 % at another one. I started the work at the other one today, and it seems pretty chill :) It's mostly customer service, like helping people with printing papers and such. I helped an older lady to scan her papers to the computer, and she came back later on to bring me a box of chocolates! Not a bad start, but I expect that this won't happen every day :DD Savannah enjoyed a new environment, Peregrin got chances to feel like he's doing a good job, and Cannonball got some rest because it was my first day, and I was mostly observing what was going on.

Food choices were OK, but I've been a bit more tired and hungry today than usually. I blame it on Shark Week :P It's almost 6 PM... I'm gonna rest a bit and read for Savannah. After that, it's time for the True Yoga day 2, and what then... If I have the time, I'll go through a couple of math problems. I'll also do some journaling with Peregrin. I just had a small glass of red wine, because I needed it, OK? :D It was delicious!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Alis in Abernathy said:

Following for libraries, non-rpg tracking ideas, avocados and other cute gifs!

Welcome to the non-Matt Damon edition of We Bought A Zoo :DDD Hopefully you'll enjoy your stay!

The tiredness persists, but blame it on the SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARKS!!!!

I seem to have thing for screaming chickens/roosters... ANYWAY, it's been a good day today :) I took the Beasts out for walk after work, and read a bit with Savannah to calm down after work. I've had a bit too much chocolate to my liking today, but the sharks demanded it. I was gonna practice with Adriene's yoga video, but I really didn't want to open the computer. I did some meal prepping, instead, and started doing yoga after I was done with that. I spent an hour doing some basic sequences while just being present, meditating, and listening to myself in silence. It was really nice, and it felt good to be out of the rain, in the desert, you can remember your name 'cause there ain't no one to give you no pain laa laa laaaaa lallalalaa

... I was listening to that song while writing this, and they sang "it felt" right when I was writing the same words, and I just took it from there :I

In other news, finishing my thesis launched some sort of a change in me, and I notice that I am re-evaluating some fixed ideas I have in my head. I used to evaluate my life by how successful I was in my studies, fitness and such, but now that I've made space for doing fun and rewarding things, I've started to wonder if I could change my standards. Not necessarily lowering, but changing them. I've had some sort of an ideal version of myself in my head, but I wonder if being that ideal version of me would make me happy. I mean, I weighed 69,5 kg a couple of years ago and got a lot of positive attitude for being so fit, but I was anxious and pretty broken. Listening to the Banana lady the other day made me think how far I've come with the mental health issues I've had, and now I think I could be brave enough to drop some ideas I've had about myself, and what I should be like. I mean, it's a pretty scary idea. It would be a long post to write down every idea, but let's just say that they're all sorts of "should" ideas about my, my studies, career choices and what-not. I want to have normal expectations. It's enough. And not having such fixed ideas of what "should" be could allow me to grow to be whatever I'm meant to be without a "but this is not what I should be doing!!" related anxieties.

Not sure if any of that made any sense, but my brain is konmari-ing the shit out of itself and I think I'm gonna allow it :P

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Ensi said:

In other news, finishing my thesis launched some sort of a change in me, and I notice that I am re-evaluating some fixed ideas I have in my head. I used to evaluate my life by how successful I was in my studies, fitness and such, but now that I've made space for doing fun and rewarding things, I've started to wonder if I could change my standards. Not necessarily lowering, but changing them. I've had some sort of an ideal version of myself in my head, but I wonder if being that ideal version of me would make me happy. I mean, I weighed 69,5 kg a couple of years ago and got a lot of positive attitude for being so fit, but I was anxious and pretty broken. Listening to the Banana lady the other day made me think how far I've come with the mental health issues I've had, and now I think I could be brave enough to drop some ideas I've had about myself, and what I should be like. I mean, it's a pretty scary idea. It would be a long post to write down every idea, but let's just say that they're all sorts of "should" ideas about my, my studies, career choices and what-not. I want to have normal expectations. It's enough. And not having such fixed ideas of what "should" be could allow me to grow to be whatever I'm meant to be without a "but this is not what I should be doing!!" related anxieties.

Not sure if any of that made any sense, but my brain is konmari-ing the shit out of itself and I think I'm gonna allow it :P

That makes perfect sense to me! I think it's important to find realistic expectations of ourselves. I'm trying to figure that out too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

That makes perfect sense to me! I think it's important to find realistic expectations of ourselves. I'm trying to figure that out too.

It's pretty difficult, when those realistic expectations are buried under such a huge pile of expectations and such :D But the more I learn to trust myself and my gut, the better I feel. Baww growing up is haaaard :DDD

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ensi said:

growing up is haaaard

Don't ;) 

I mean: keep having an open mind, keep being curious about the world, keep playing and having fun. Keep making mistakes, keep learning from them. You don't have to have it all figured out, no one does (although some pretend they have). 

It is good to examine your old expectations and believes, but you don't have to form new ones overnight. Take your time, you've got the rest of your life <3

• Like 3