• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

Ensi: The Beasts Of The New Year

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

Wow, you were brave! It was very smart to tell them you were calling a guard, and more, you kept your cold blood to think of that in the middle of a mess.

 

Well, I spent an entire minute just observing from a distance to assess the situation (did they have knives or other weapons, how likely it would be dangerous for me to go near, etc.). The more aggressive man tried to grab the other one and kept following him around, but I was hoping that they would let it go. Then the situation escalated pretty quickly, and I decided to interfere. My instinct said that I wasn't in danger, but I kept my distance and didn't let either of them out of my sight.

 

The library is a public space in the middle of the city, which is why I'd like to have some training for situations like these...! The terrorist attack that happened last summer was only two blocks away. I know that I'm not the most intimidating person alive and not as capable of breaking up a fight as our guards, but I would love to be able to read violent situations more carefully to help end them, and help keep others safe. Maybe I could take a look at the local self-defense courses, for starters...!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ensi said:

but I would love to be able to read violent situations more carefully to help end them, and help keep others safe. Maybe I could take a look at the local self-defense courses, for starters...!

Well, at my training place they remember us now and then that the best self-defence technique is being a hell of a sprinter :D 

About better understanding violent/dangerous situations, I enjoyed reading Beck's book "The gift of fear", if you're interested.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Well, at my training place they remember us now and then that the best self-defence technique is being a hell of a sprinter :D 

About better understanding violent/dangerous situations, I enjoyed reading Beck's book "The gift of fear", if you're interested.

 

True! :D Running away is my go-to reaction lol, but here I also felt responsible to look after the library's other customers (no fighting in my library!!). I've actually red The Gift of Fear! It has affected my way of thinking a lot and helped me to start trusting my own instincts more. A re-read might be in order :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ensi said:

Well, I spent an entire minute just observing from a distance to assess the situation (did they have knives or other weapons, how likely it would be dangerous for me to go near, etc.).

 

Still brave, plus smart!  Lots of brave people have gotten themselves hurt by rushing in to unknown situations.  Well done.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

 

Still brave, plus smart!  Lots of brave people have gotten themselves hurt by rushing in to unknown situations.  Well done.

 

Thanks! :D I actually started thinking that "observing from the distance and waiting for the opportune moment" is in my nature. I did it on P.E. classes if we were playing ball games - I just waited on the sidelines when others fought over the ball, and pretty often it was just a matter of time until the ball came my way. Hmm. Maybe it would be a good idea to cultivate this side of me more and make the most of it...!

 

The new challenge awaits!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now