Rhovaniel: The Hunt for Hype

Rhovaniel

13 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

I seem to remember you and @Charlie_Quinn discussing ocr shoes a while ago, so I didn't want to ask and make everyone have the same discussion again. But I think CQ recommended X claws over Roclites, so I'm probably going to look at those...

I'm happy to keep having the conversation. The X-Claws and Roclites serve slightly different purposes. So which one is suitable really depends on what the use is. The x-claws would be a better choice if you are going to be dealing with a lot of mud. So great for OCRs but they would quickly be trashed if you were to run on pavement with them and they would be unsuitable if your trails were dry or very rocky. 

The Roclites are far less aggressive. That means they don't work well on heavy mud but they operate better on dry and hard surfaces. And won't be as trashed if you ran on pavement. I like how inov8s fit my feet but i wish the cushioning was better, as a heavier runner it makes a real difference to me. 

• Thanks 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

16 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I can do this. No one said it would be easy. I don't care if I'm tired. I don't care how much I want that cake, that chocolate, those treats. I don't care how bland my meals are whilst I'm learning the art of survival (read: ability to cook edible food without setting off the fire alarm every time...). I want health, I want strength, I want fitness and athleticism so much more than I want that extra hour in bed, or that handful of chocolate. 

Hell yeah you can do this! The bolded bit really resonates with me. Lately I've been asking myself "how badly do you want this?". Because if I want to achieve my goals, I have to be prepared to put the work in to get there. 

4 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Spend some time today thinking of batch cook meals for lunches/dinners.

Chilli or 5 bean chilli is a good batch meal. So is shepherds / cottage pie. If you need cooking help, let me know. I'm not a gourmet chef or anything, but I'm a reasonable cook. 

15 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm happy to keep having the conversation. The X-Claws and Roclites serve slightly different purposes. So which one is suitable really depends on what the use is. The x-claws would be a better choice if you are going to be dealing with a lot of mud. So great for OCRs but they would quickly be trashed if you were to run on pavement with them and they would be unsuitable if your trails were dry or very rocky. 

The Roclites are far less aggressive. That means they don't work well on heavy mud but they operate better on dry and hard surfaces. And won't be as trashed if you ran on pavement. I like how inov8s fit my feet but i wish the cushioning was better, as a heavier runner it makes a real difference to me. 

I've found my Rocklites completely useless for BMF when the ground is really wet. The X-Claws were much better, but be warned, if you have to run between grass and path, you will completely lose your grip on the pavement. Salomon Speedcross might be a good all-round shoe for you, but they are very narrow shoes, so only consider them if you don't mind a close fitting shoe (you might need to go a size up).

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

4 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I've found my Rocklites completely useless for BMF when the ground is really wet. The X-Claws were much better, but be warned, if you have to run between grass and path, you will completely lose your grip on the pavement. Salomon Speedcross might be a good all-round shoe for you, but they are very narrow shoes, so only consider them if you don't mind a close fitting shoe (you might need to go a size up).

I'd imagine, though, once summer rolls around and the ground becomes hard baked (we can dream!) then the Rocklites would win out over the x-claws. That's how I've found it anyway. My light trail shoes are basically useless with the current weather. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

17 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I can do this. No one said it would be easy. I don't care if I'm tired. I don't care how much I want that cake, that chocolate, those treats. I don't care how bland my meals are whilst I'm learning the art of survival (read: ability to cook edible food without setting off the fire alarm every time...). I want health, I want strength, I want fitness and athleticism so much more than I want that extra hour in bed, or that handful of chocolate. 

You definitely can do this.

Glad you had a great Christmas holiday, sad you got no time to rest. Anyway you can go to bed a tad earlier at night? Sleep is the one thing that helps me keep my momentum and positivity levels up.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

8 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I'd imagine, though, once summer rolls around and the ground becomes hard baked (we can dream!) then the Rocklites would win out over the x-claws. That's how I've found it anyway. My light trail shoes are basically useless with the current weather. 

That's what I'd assume too. It's nice to have a few options available. That's my excuse for my many running shoes, anyway!

• Like 1

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

36 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

That's what I'd assume too. It's nice to have a few options available. That's my excuse for my many running shoes, anyway!

I like that excuse. I have reasons for every pair of running shoes I own. Whether that justifies the cost is another matter :D I think I'm sold on the X-Claws for OCR shoes. I'm not sure if they'll be the best thing for MVL though.

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Hell yeah you can do this! The bolded bit really resonates with me. Lately I've been asking myself "how badly do you want this?". Because if I want to achieve my goals, I have to be prepared to put the work in to get there. 

Chilli or 5 bean chilli is a good batch meal. So is shepherds / cottage pie. If you need cooking help, let me know. I'm not a gourmet chef or anything, but I'm a reasonable cook. 

So, what you guys are saying is...

bth.gif  

NOT sure about budget (will look up prices if I've enough lunch break left) but an interesting thought. 

58 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

You definitely can do this.

Glad you had a great Christmas holiday, sad you got no time to rest. Anyway you can go to bed a tad earlier at night? Sleep is the one thing that helps me keep my momentum and positivity levels up.

I've been sleeping like the dead the last few days. I need to kick myself out of bed in the morning after a solid 7 hours!

• Like 3

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

I missed this in the shoe talk. Those meals sound good, and reasonably do-able.... Please tell me the chili is 'throw everything in a pot and let it cook'?

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

7 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

I missed this in the shoe talk. Those meals sound good, and reasonably do-able.... Please tell me the chili is 'throw everything in a pot and let it cook'?

You certainly can do it that way! It does taste better if you do it in stages though. The trick to these types of dishes (chilli, spag bol, curries) is to make sure you slowly cook the onions first until they are soft - not brown, soft - and browning the meat. I can get you a detailed recipe if you like, I just need to make it and measure things so I know the exact measurements of ingredients. I've been making these recipes since I was a teenager so I do it all by eye instead of measuring.

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

59 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

I've been sleeping like the dead the last few days. I need to kick myself out of bed in the morning after a solid 7 hours

Yikes, good for you. Then I hope your energy levels will pick up as your body gets more sleep.
In the meantime I'm just listening in on the shoes. I got myself the Kanadia tr7 last year, which I know is the old shoe, and I don't run. But I love them for anything from walking to gardening and training.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

So, what you guys are saying is...

bth.gif  

NOT sure about budget (will look up prices if I've enough lunch break left) but an interesting thought. 

Moar is always good. :P but you might want to try things out first. Do you know what you like in running shoes? That can be a big factor in the choice too. My Inov8 roadclaws are very lose on my feet and I like that but I know a lot of people like their shoes to fit more snug to their feet. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

I batch cook constantly.  Tell me what you would like to eat and I probably have a simple recipe stowed away on pinterest somewhere!!

• Like 3

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

2 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

You certainly can do it that way! It does taste better if you do it in stages though. The trick to these types of dishes (chilli, spag bol, curries) is to make sure you slowly cook the onions first until they are soft - not brown, soft - and browning the meat. I can get you a detailed recipe if you like, I just need to make it and measure things so I know the exact measurements of ingredients. I've been making these recipes since I was a teenager so I do it all by eye instead of measuring.

Now, I wan to preface this with, CQ is absolutely right. The slower and more time you take to prep the meal the better you can make it. Nonetheless I'm going to pipe in and say, if what you have the will power for is to dump a bunch of ingredients into a pot and let cook then sometimes 'good enough' is good enough. I'll often just dump things into the slow cooker and let cook when I'm short on willpower (and I like to cook). I personally find that spending 2-3 hours on Sunday batch cooking is repaid during the week. 

Also be aware that some things have a very similar base. You can cook up some mince and tomatoes and then simply spice it differently for spagbol, or chilli or cottage pie. Stewy stuff is the most easy thing to batch cook, obviously and remember that your freezer is your friend. I almost always make extra of anything that'll freeze well to give myself a stock of home-made ready meals. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

I like the points reward system, that will encourage consistency and build momentum, very sneaky, I might borrow that! ;) 

BMF - I had to look this up, is it British Military Fitness? You are very brave doing that outdoors in January if you're in the UK!

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

9 hours ago, Endor said:

I like the points reward system, that will encourage consistency and build momentum, very sneaky, I might borrow that! ;) 

BMF - I had to look this up, is it British Military Fitness? You are very brave doing that outdoors in January if you're in the UK!

Thanks. I actually forgot to update yesterday. Thanks for reminding me!

It is. Brave... or insane? Though yesterday was a lot drier than Tuesday's session! Luckily over here, the weather doesn't get too bad. We just get cold, grey and miserable in varying degrees of cold throughout the year. 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

21 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Now, I wan to preface this with, CQ is absolutely right. The slower and more time you take to prep the meal the better you can make it. Nonetheless I'm going to pipe in and say, if what you have the will power for is to dump a bunch of ingredients into a pot and let cook then sometimes 'good enough' is good enough. I'll often just dump things into the slow cooker and let cook when I'm short on willpower (and I like to cook). I personally find that spending 2-3 hours on Sunday batch cooking is repaid during the week. 

Dump dinners are my grind prep, ha.  So many things you can do with 4-5 ingredients and a crock pot.  Sunday is my prep day as well (though at this point I'm mostly just prepping lunches...getting back into dinners soon).  It's actually great stress relief knowing all that is taken care of for the week.

21 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Also be aware that some things have a very similar base. You can cook up some mince and tomatoes and then simply spice it differently for spagbol, or chilli or cottage pie. Stewy stuff is the most easy thing to batch cook, obviously and remember that your freezer is your friend. I almost always make extra of anything that'll freeze well to give myself a stock of home-made ready meals. 

I 2nd this as well I either cook with similar bases or similar proteins to keep the price of my shopping down :) 

13 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

It is. Brave... or insane? Though yesterday was a lot drier than Tuesday's session! Luckily over here, the weather doesn't get too bad. We just get cold, grey and miserable in varying degrees of cold throughout the year. 

A little column A, a little column B, but brave and insane sound very rangerly. :) 

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Quick lunchtime update:

Points were earned yesterday for going to BMF, eating decently for once and planning today's food. So far, I have 50 points. And, all things considered, not bad. Only lost 3 or so points. But that's still a lot of room for improvement, so I can't afford to get complacent. 

Today is shaping up well. Points for getting up on time (having my phone in the hallway helps!), getting to the gym and getting on with a workout in my new gym. I will not be there long. Just a month or so till I can switch to the one near work. It's okay, but very basic, and it shows. The free weights section was, at half 6, an absolute mess. No one, it seems, bothers putting weights and things back, so the floor was the gym equivalent of a teenager's bedroom. Nothing is where it should be, and good luck finding what you need. It looked like nothing was free, but no one seemed to be using the squat rack, despite a loaded bar on the floor, so I nabbed it. 

Having not trained for months, I went super light. 

10 minute jog

5 x 5 Back Squats - 25kg

5 x 5 OHP - 15kg

Should have deadlifted, but I had trouble locating the car park, then registering my fingerprint took forever (24/7 gym), and I ran short on time before picking up my friend for work. I am toying with the idea of a nice, slow, easy run this evening, too. 

2018 is my year. No excuses, no letting anxiety hold me back. I set goals, I smash them. I am setting the goal to get in the best shape of my life, and I will smash it.

Actually, on the anxiety front, this has been low-key building up again. I keep thinking to BreakPoint and going for the 4th time. And trying not to let the demons in my head tell me they think I'm weird/stupid/obsessive

• Like 6

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

5 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

The free weights section was, at half 6, an absolute mess. No one, it seems, bothers putting weights and things back, so the floor was the gym equivalent of a teenager's bedroom.  

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

2018 is my year. No excuses, no letting anxiety hold me back. I set goals, I smash them. I am setting the goal to get in the best shape of my life, and I will smash it.

giphy.gif

Actually, on the anxiety front, this has been low-key building up again. I keep thinking to BreakPoint and going for the 4th time. And trying not to let the demons in my head tell me they think I'm weird/stupid/obsessive

I totally get this, my anxiety does this to me all the time (obviously not with breakpoint but with other stuff.)

This year's mantra:

giphy.gif

• Like 3

The free weights section was, at half 6, an absolute mess. No one, it seems, bothers putting weights and things back, so the floor was the gym equivalent of a teenager's bedroom. Nothing is where it should be, and good luck finding what you need. It looked like nothing was free, but no one seemed to be using the squat rack, despite a loaded bar on the floor, so I nabbed it. 

Sounds a lot like my gym :D I don't dislike it. It has the stuff that I need, if not all the stuff I want. I wish some of the people would clear up after themselves though. 

No excuses. 2018 is the year we are going to kick anxieties ass! All the awesome is going to happen and we are not going to hold ourselves back! 

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

We do not have too much of that problem at my gym...  Could be because there are about a dozen signs posted all around saying that failure to rerack your own weights will result in loss of membership (and they do have security cameras to back them up if they need to).

• Like 2

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Law of the Commons, I think its called...

Happily though.  despite not alot of obvious enforcement (and def not cams)- its not usually too bad.

I think this is because I live in a smaller town.  people know people.  soon you would be talking to YMCA management; if you inconvenienced other folks with your sloppy habits.

• Like 2

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Small town here as well, but I believe they have the security cams up because it is a 24/7 access gym.  Need to be able to protect not only their equipment but also their members.

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

I had to resort to a passive aggressive sign stating

"Every time you don't re-rack your weights Just Bieber writes a new song."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

7 hours ago, Stribs said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I totally get this, my anxiety does this to me all the time (obviously not with breakpoint but with other stuff.)

This year's mantra:

giphy.gif

It was insane. I suppose because my only other gym experience was my uni gym, with all its mod cons and considerate people, I assumed that was the norm. It made me feel like the gym was dirty, even though it probably wasn't. Mess will do that...

On the anxiety front, I just have to keep telling myself that it really is not a big deal. That even if all of it was true, even if they're thinking 'oh god not her again', so damn what? I mean, sure it would suck, but I go for me, not them. I go because I want to, because I come back stronger every time (well, mostly. Last time was an anomaly. Learned about myself more, but came back physically weakened with injury ;)) and I need to remember that when I'm re-reading the emails for the 100th time, seeking reassurance that they don't mind...

6 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Sounds a lot like my gym :D I don't dislike it. It has the stuff that I need, if not all the stuff I want. I wish some of the people would clear up after themselves though. 

No excuses. 2018 is the year we are going to kick anxieties ass! All the awesome is going to happen and we are not going to hold ourselves back! 

This is very much a stop gap gym. I can't join the gym near work for free yet, and this one works for me being close to home. It's basic, yes, but it's cheap and I can't afford decent, really, not with a BMF membership as well. 

2018 better not get in my way. I have lived under anxiety's shadow for far too long. 

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Law of the Commons, I think its called...

Happily though.  despite not alot of obvious enforcement (and def not cams)- its not usually too bad.

I think this is because I live in a smaller town.  people know people.  soon you would be talking to YMCA management; if you inconvenienced other folks with your sloppy habits.

I think because it's a 24/7 gym, at that time in the morning, there isn't any staff around to keep an eye on things.

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I had to resort to a passive aggressive sign stating

"Every time you don't re-rack your weights Just Bieber writes a new song."

I love it. I may need to make a suggestion to management :lol: 

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests:

Week One, Saturday

Points gained: 5

Points lost: 0

Today was my last counselling session and in summarising everything, I realised how far I've come. I will likely need to seek non-NHS counselling soon, to work on the lingering issues that my 6 allotted sessions were not enough time for. But the issues I went in with have largely been exorcised, and the underlying demons, anxiety and a deep rooted fear of rejection (oh, and control issues too, because I'm fun like that) are all that remain of what was once crippling. I came out feeling good. 

I also came out feeling strong enough to ask one of the guys from BP about training, because I figured I could use some pointers, but have always been hesitant about messaging. He was lovely and sent me a workout idea and some general pointers. Which is good, but means I will need to do some re-jigging of my schedule. Cardio HIIT followed by a WOD (bodyweight OTMEM) and steady cardio to finish is the order of the day. I think I may go down to 1 lifting session a week, focusing on the big lifts, squats, deadlifts and OHP or bench, so that I don't exhaust myself too much. 

Came home, did some Domestic Rangering and will have very happy colleagues on Monday. I got ALOT of chocolate gifts for xmas, as well as the usual stash of leftover goodies and I just don't need that kind of temptation in the house. I was going to keep them and wade through slowly, but it's a binge waiting to happen. Not to mention that even if I am not feeling crappy and binge-y, I do not do moderation well. I'll keep some stuff. But the huge box of Guylian from M's aunt, the large box of chocolate biscuits... that does not need to be in my space. 

I also got out for my outdoor run to complete the mini. 3.58 miles in 39.29 minutes. Slow, but steady. A good first run to get back into. My average pace hovered around the 11 minute mark. No, it's not fast. But it's my starting point and I'll get faster naturally, hopefully. I'm mindful that when I try to go too fast, my body hates me. In a 'hey that was not nice. Here's an awful, crappy feeling and/or sore legs for a couple days.'

• Like 7

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests: