My hype meter has been at an all time low, and it's time to fix that.  I also have been trapped in that cycle where I'm sitting at a computer too much, mindlessly eating and drinking like an asshole while there, and moving a whole lot less (in part from minor but recurring injuries).  As a result, I've put on 10 lbs (and not the good kind ;) ) over the last year.  I've also been in a huge Harry Potter groove, since the family just returned from a trip to Harry Potter land in Orlando (which was awesome!!!), and we're currently introducing the kids to D&D with a Hogwarts setting.  

So, it's time to add more discipline and structure to my life by returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. 

350?cb=20120128145344

1. Transfiguration:  I will learn spells to transform my unhealthy meals and snacks into healthy ones.  I generally need to eat more veggies, more salad, more eggs, and more homemade stews.  For tracking/goal purposes, I will limit myself to one small sugary snack per day, and I will eat at least one substantial serving of veggies with each meal.  

2. Potions: 

anigif_enhanced-5861-1423673885-3.gif?do

I will drink only 3 calorie bearing drinks per week..... which means I will need to drink a lot more water.  The goal for this is to find ways to make water more appealing.  I will experiment at least once every week with making infused water.  I will also try at least 4 new tea flavors, to see what might be appealing.    

3. Defense Against the Dark Arts:

tenor.gif?itemid=8105016

I've been getting too wrapped up with regular life to set aside time to workout each day.  That needs to change.  So, I'm going to defend against the dark art of laziness with some constant vigilance.  Every day, I need to do at least 30 minutes of exercise.  It could just be yoga or even putting on the weight vest and walking laps inside my house.   

4. Charms: 

yWGgfy.gif

Cast "Wingardium Leviosa" by lifting myself up in the air.  I need something new and shiny in my workout routine.  Right after my parkour class, I had been doing open gym, which largely has turned into teaching and directing traffic for all of the kids doing open gym.  Instead, there's an adult aerial silks class happening at the same time.  So, I'm going to re-take the silks intro (since I've already forgotten everything), and then start taking silks classes.  The most convenient time to do the intro will be January 20, since there's already an instructor event at the parkour gym.  The goal is to do that intro, and then after that, take silks rather than doing parkour open gym.  

5. Stick to the Schedule: 

hermiones-exam-schedule.png

A large part of the problem is that I've been getting too wrapped up with life things to set aside time for working out, cooking, and all of the other things I need to be healthy.  This will likely be even worse over the next few months, since my husband and I are studying for the OSCP exam.  My goal is to set a fairly rigid schedule, just to make sure everything gets done.  

And that's it.  Hopefully, I can get back on track and regain my hype. :) 

• Like 9

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

First!!

Yusssss! I was hoping I would see your name pop up ;). Glad to see you Nym!

Wolf

"Maximum Effort!"

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Also... excited to see what you do with the infused water :) it could give Heather and I some ideas!

Wolf

"Maximum Effort!"

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Whew.  I'm so glad the challenge starts on Monday and not today.  We decided to celebrate new years eve today with my in-laws....which means I ate fondue and had champagne.   While I really enjoy the holiday eating, I'm so glad that part of the season is over.  I need a boring few months, food and celebration-wise, to get my diet back under control.  

Otherwise, I taught parkour class today, which was a lot of fun.  We had a bunch of noobs, so we focused on basics but still injected a bunch of new, fun things into the class.  Parkour is a little awkward right now, since my husband re-injured his back and is out of commission.  We're fairly codependent with the exercising, so it has put a damper on everything.  Also, since I was teaching, I didn't get as full of a workout as I would have liked.  At least tomorrow, I should have a chance to either hit the treadmill or stationary bike, since we're staying over at my in-laws house this weekend.  We're actually going to have a boring actual new-year's eve, since the kids go back to school right away on Jan 2(!), which means we can't handle staying up super late.  

11 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Also... excited to see what you do with the infused water :) it could give Heather and I some ideas!

I hope it works.  I'm planning on trying a different "recipe" at least each week, since I desperately need more water and less of everything else.  

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following! Have you checked out the Ranger Mini this time around?

Will do!

9 hours ago, PrincessMononoke said:

Awesome challenge! I’ll be watching some Harry Potter today now for sure. What Ryan said! Id love to get creative with our water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  I'm glad that you're giving the NF challenges another try!

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Who doesn’t love a HP themed challenge? :D 

That exam actually sounds really cool, and very useful.

I'm excited to work on the skills, but honestly, the exam itself is pretty brutal.  They have a strict 24 hour time limit, which means I'll have to pawn the kids of with the in-laws and then pull an all-nighter or two in a row.  

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

SO glad you are here for the challenge. I love Harry Potter's Hogwarts at Universal. We can encourage one another in our quest for healthier eating.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 12/30/2017 at 10:13 PM, Terra said:

giphy.gif

Love it! 

Thanks! :) 

On 12/31/2017 at 1:17 AM, Elastigirl said:

SO glad you are here for the challenge. I love Harry Potter's Hogwarts at Universal. We can encourage one another in our quest for healthier eating.

Have you been to Orlando, or just the one in LA?  We loved both the Hogwarts castle and Diagonally, and we rode everything in both of them at least twice (as well as casting all of the spells, eating at a couple different restaurants, and doing all of the shopping).  It was amazing!

I really don't know what happened with the eating habits.  I used to be so good about the healthy eating, but I've gotten into a terrible groove of evening snacking.  

On 12/31/2017 at 8:48 AM, Xena said:

Your idea of moving into the adult silks class sounds really smart! It's probably hard for you not to help others in the open gym, and I can see how it would make it hard to get a good workout yourself.

Yes!  It's especially hard since my kids do the open gym, so I'll just end up in "teacher mode" the whole time.  I'm excited about trying the silks again.  I enjoyed it okay when I tried a few years ago, but ultimately didn't stick with it since it burned out the same muscles I used with climbing, and since the class time conflicted with parkour class.  Now, I'm not climbing and the classes are one after the other, so there's no reason not to give it a whirl.  

On 12/31/2017 at 9:14 AM, suzyQlou said:

I have a feeling I can learn a lot from following your challenge.  Cheering for the "eat more veggies" crowd.

Thanks!  Normally, eating veggies isn't a huge problem for me.  I've just become kind of lazy with it, and I need to fix that.  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

Mischief managed!

So far, so good for me.  Yesterday, I felt lazy and didn't want to workout, but I still squeezed in some yoga.  Today, I was also feeling lazy ;), but I did pull ups and a strength intensive yoga program.  My pull ups suck right now, and I had to use elastic bands to pull from a full dead hang.  But I also have to admit that I haven't really done them for a couple months, and I will get them back pretty quickly.  

One of the things that might be a huge dietary game changer for me is that I just received one of those instant egg cookers.  So, it will be much easier for me to have hard boiled, soft boiled, or poached eggs without having to worry about laziness getting in the way.  At this point, the dietary game plan is to have plain greek yogurt + fruit for breakfast, salad and eggs for lunch, and then some sort of veggie stew for dinner, with some additional servings of veggies with each meal (well, maybe not breakfast, unless potatoes count ;)

Tomorrow, I will be hitting the store for infused water ingredients.  Most of the recipes seem to involve mint or basil with some sort of fruit.  I can pretty easily wait to see what's on sale and use that for my first potions experiment.  If nothing else, limes or lemons should be cheap.  

• Like 7

My tutorials:

Day 2 is off to a great start!

tumblr_mjmsmuzlJy1qfynw8o4_r1_250.gif

My first potions experiment is going well.  I tried a strawberry, lime, cucumber, mint infusion, which is tasty but a bit weak.  I either need to let everything sit for a bit longer, or I need to add more fruit.  For the tea portion, I picked up a sampler pack with 6 different loose leaf teas, so I can start playing around with those, too.  

I also have successfully managed to start up some vegetarian split pea soup in the crock pot.  And I did a 36 minute strength workout without bailing out partway through.  Yesterday, my eating was on-point, and I should hopefully continue that today, especially since I bought a bunch of desserts for the kids that I don't care for and that won't tempt me.  

Now, I just need to focus on computer stuff for the rest of the day.  

Oh yeah...  I also just remembered that the staff training day at the parkour school was just moved forward to Jan 15, which means I can take the silks intro and start those classes a week earlier than I had expected.  

• Like 7

My tutorials:

Hi, Nym! I missed you the last couple of times around, but rectifying that now. I bought a huge bag of hibiscus flowers and have been drinking a ton of cold hibiscus tea that I just brew cold in a pitcher in the fridge. I highly recommend it for alternatives to plain water. :) 

And sillllks! Cool! :D

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 1/1/2018 at 3:15 PM, Nymeria said:

One of the things that might be a huge dietary game changer for me is that I just received one of those instant egg cookers.  So, it will be much easier for me to have hard boiled, soft boiled, or poached eggs without having to worry about laziness getting in the way.  At this point, the dietary game plan is to have plain greek yogurt + fruit for breakfast, salad and eggs for lunch, and then some sort of veggie stew for dinner, with some additional servings of veggies with each meal (well, maybe not breakfast, unless potatoes count ;)

I got an instapot right before xmas and am super excited about how easy it is to make eggs (hard or soft boiled) and yogurt in huge quantities easily. I need to make a few more things with it to really get my money's worth, but it can live on the counter if I'm making yogurt every week!

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

12 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I got an instapot right before xmas and am super excited about how easy it is to make eggs (hard or soft boiled) and yogurt in huge quantities easily. I need to make a few more things with it to really get my money's worth, but it can live on the counter if I'm making yogurt every week!

Oh cool that you make your own yogurt! I've been wanting to experiment with that. What's the process? Where do you get the starter culture from, do you get it from store bought yogurt or special health shop?

Just now, Mad Hatter said:

Oh cool that you make your own yogurt! I've been wanting to experiment with that. What's the process? Where do you get the starter culture from, do you get it from store bought yogurt or special health shop?

I just started with regular yogurt from the store with active cultures. I set aside 1/2 c every batch and use it to start the next one. It's not a hard process, you can do it yourself very easily as long as you can manage the temperature for the full incubation process!

basically you nearly-scald the milk to kill off any undesireable bacteria and to get the milk protiens to change to a form that will thicken more. then you let the milk cool to about 120 degF and add your starter yogurt, mix it together, and then set it aside where you can maintain the temperature at about 110 degF for up to 8 or 10 hours. I have a very drafty house and have always used a yogurt maker to do this, but I know someone who puts the proto-yogurt into a cooler with jars of boiling water to get the temperature cranked and covers it in blankets overnight, he's found that this is sufficient insulation to allow the yogurt time to culture before it cools outside of the appropriate temperature range.

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

7 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I just started with regular yogurt from the store with active cultures. I set aside 1/2 c every batch and use it to start the next one. It's not a hard process, you can do it yourself very easily as long as you can manage the temperature for the full incubation process!

basically you nearly-scald the milk to kill off any undesireable bacteria and to get the milk protiens to change to a form that will thicken more. then you let the milk cool to about 120 degF and add your starter yogurt, mix it together, and then set it aside where you can maintain the temperature at about 110 degF for up to 8 or 10 hours. I have a very drafty house and have always used a yogurt maker to do this, but I know someone who puts the proto-yogurt into a cooler with jars of boiling water to get the temperature cranked and covers it in blankets overnight, he's found that this is sufficient insulation to allow the yogurt time to culture before it cools outside of the appropriate temperature range.

Nice. Has the process changed with the instapot?

On 1/2/2018 at 12:39 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Sounds really good!

Unfortunately, it ended up turning a little bitter.  I'm not sure whether one of the ingredients was a little off, whether I let it sit too long, or whether it just ended up not being a good combination for me.  Oh well.  I was expecting to have to do a bit of experimentation.  

On 1/2/2018 at 12:58 PM, raptron said:

Hi, Nym! I missed you the last couple of times around, but rectifying that now. I bought a huge bag of hibiscus flowers and have been drinking a ton of cold hibiscus tea that I just brew cold in a pitcher in the fridge. I highly recommend it for alternatives to plain water. :) 

And sillllks! Cool! :D

You didn't miss me...  I just kind of disappeared..... again.....:hopelessness:

Oooh..  Cold tea is a great idea, too!

20 hours ago, karinajean said:

I've never even considered making yogurt, but my egg cooker has already been amazing!  The whole family has been devouring so many eggs. :) 

16 hours ago, Raxie said:

Oooh looking forward to your infusions!! How are you making them?

And also really pumped for you and silks class :D 

Right now, I'm just slicing up the ingredients, putting them in room temperature water, and then letting them sit a bit.  If the whole thing ends up working out, I'll probably get one of those fancy infusion pitchers.

My tutorials:

3 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

Right now, I'm just slicing up the ingredients, putting them in room temperature water, and then letting them sit a bit.  If the whole thing ends up working out, I'll probably get one of those fancy infusion pitchers.

Those things are cool looking, I was hoping that's what you were doing so I could get some feedback on them since I can't tell if they are actually worth it.  Mr. Raxie has been really into infusions and has been doing it the way you do, but usually puts it in the fridge overnight.

....and the challenge continues.  Yesterday, I was sore from my strength workout, so I just did a yoga stretching and flexibility program, followed by a very cold walk.  At this point, I'm 2/3 on outdoor rangering for the mini.

Healthy eating and drinking continues to go well.  I burned one of my caloric drinks for the week, but I still have 2 remaining.  I also tried cold raspberry herbal tea, which was okay.  Scheduling my time is working well, and I'm already 1/5 of the way through my red hat (linux) book.  Family time continues to go well, and we did 1 hour of our Harry Potter RPG last night.

Today should be a bit weird.  School was canceled due to the cold and snow (we got maybe 2 inches, but people here are really wimpy), so the kids are home.  This means I'll focus on taking down the xmas decorations, since I can recruit help.  I'm also tentatively planning on less in the way of computer stuff and more cleaning, game playing, and other family things.  I'll still squeeze in a more substantial yoga workout, though.  

For potions, I'm going to do about 4 separate glasses: One with just strawberries, one with just cucumber, one with just mint, and one with all 3.  I think the lime was the thing that was "off" from yesterday's experiment, so I want to gather a little more data.  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nice. Has the process changed with the instapot?

no, it is just a much larger vessel than my old yogurt maker so I can make way more at once time. :)