Daryl of Barbaria: Journey to the Mountain Part II

Daryl of Barbaria

Good morning Druids. This is more-or-less a continuation of the same challenge I did last time (Journey to Wudang Shan). The routine worked so very well, that I want to continue on with it. There is still plenty to challenge me within the same routine. So let's get to it.

Primary Section - Tai Chi and Qigong

1. Continue Tai Chi and Qigong as a daily habit. The plan is to take some time each day to practice Tai Chi and/ or Qigong, in some capacity. 20 - 30 minutes of practice would be ideal, but I will make compromises with my other priorities in life as needed. Break it up throughout the day, as needed, whatever it takes. Make the opportunity.

2. Continue to refine my Tai Chi/ Qigong skills. This means taking in information wherever possible, from classes, seminars, videos, books, etc. I have signed up for a Tai Chi class with Community Education, but this does not begin until February. In the meantime, I will continue to self-train, read books, watch videos, and take in whatever information and training is available. My focus at the moment is on the Tai Chi 24 Form, and Spring Forest Qigong.

Secondary Section - Meditation and Body Weight Training

1. Daily meditation. I've been doing this for nearly a year now. It is an indispensable source of relaxation and self-care.

2. Body weight exercises and yoga. I will do this three times per week. Body weight training focuses mainly on pull-ups and dips, using the "grease the groove" approach, where I do several sets of low reps spread out over a day. I generally do the yoga in the evening, or whenever I finish my last set of pull-ups and dips. This has been great training for upper-body and core strength.

Tertiary Section - Bullet Journal

I will keep utilizing my bullet journal to keep track of my daily tasks and priorities.

• Like 5

Daryl of Barbaria - Rebel

Well, we're in it now. The s**t's hit the fan.

Ah, so you do both strength training and yoga on the same days?  I was trying to fit it into separate days, but probably yoga would be useful as stretching after the weights...  Thanks for the idea!

Good luck with your challenge!

• Like 3

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

3 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Ah, so you do both strength training and yoga on the same days?  I was trying to fit it into separate days, but probably yoga would be useful as stretching after the weights...  Thanks for the idea!

Good luck with your challenge!

Thanks. By all means use this strategy if it helps you. I have found that the gentle intensity of yoga helps even things out after more aggressive work.

Hi there!

It's always good to read that something from a previous challenge works so well that one continues it through the next challenge.  I feel like I keep flailing about hoping to find something that sticks without much luck.  

Also, I've always been curious about bullet journals.  Would love to see a page or two if it would be something you're willing to share.  :)

• Like 2
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

4 hours ago, LittleTurtle said:

Hi there!

It's always good to read that something from a previous challenge works so well that one continues it through the next challenge.  I feel like I keep flailing about hoping to find something that sticks without much luck.  

Also, I've always been curious about bullet journals.  Would love to see a page or two if it would be something you're willing to share.  :)

I did plenty of flailing about before I got here. And in all fairness, this is only round 2. I've gotten to round 2 in past challenges as well, only to have it fall apart on the second go around. Now if I'm still doing this at round 5, then maybe I've gotten somewhere.

Here's one little example of my bullet journal tracking for my last challenge.

bujo%2001_zpsnf3zgdlb.jpg

I'll try to make a point to post more examples as this challenge goes on.

• Like 3

Following to root for your tai chi journey! If you have any resources that you stumble upon that you would like to share, I'm all ears!

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

1 hour ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

bujo%2001_zpsnf3zgdlb.jpg

I really love this!  

• Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

8 hours ago, LittleTurtle said:

I really love this!  

I do too, and I'm a long time bullet journalist.

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

14 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Following to root for your tai chi journey! If you have any resources that you stumble upon that you would like to share, I'm all ears!

https://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/simplified-tai-chi-beginners-24-form

This video has been a good resource for me to learn the 24 form when an instructor is not available. If I come across anything else I will let you know.

I managed to get in a little impromptu sub-zero taiji this evening. Snow kinda messes up by balance. I must work on that.

Also, I'm consciously trying to type taiji instead of tai chi. I believe taiji technically the correct pinyin. I meant to make this change with the beginning of the new year.

• Like 1

Just now, juliebarkley said:

Sub-zero taiji is a whole new level of impressive. Well done.

Right?!  That is exactly what I was thinking.  I don't do ANYTHING sub-zero!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

22 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Sub-zero taiji is a whole new level of impressive. Well done.

22 hours ago, LittleTurtle said:

Right?!  That is exactly what I was thinking.  I don't do ANYTHING sub-zero!  

Well, not as impressive as it sounds. I only did a single 24 form routine, which takes about 6 minutes. And the act of taiji tends to create a lot of heat in my body. It's enough to hold off the cold for 6 minutes.

Tonight I did my full routine, w/ body weight exercises and yoga. Taiji felt just a little bit off, as my lower back is a bit stiff. Still the same trouble same spot since when I injured with karate practice 6 years ago. It most likely means I slept in a bad position last night, or I was holding onto a lot of stress today. Most likely both.

But even a slightly off taiji day is still a good taiji day. I feel better for going through the form twice, as well as qigong and everything else.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2017 at 8:47 PM, Daryl of Barbaria said:

Here's one little example of my bullet journal tracking for my last challenge.

Hi! I super <3 bujos!!! Please post many pictures, the little drawings are super adorbs ^_^ Enjoy your challenge!

On 12/31/2017 at 9:23 AM, Vibrantella said:

On 12/31/2017 at 12:30 PM, Daryl of Barbaria said:

Thanks. By all means use this strategy if it helps you. I have found that the gentle intensity of yoga helps even things out after more aggressive work.

I like this too. I won't do a long session after strength work, but usually have a sequence or flow for that correlates to the specific strength work.

• Like 2

Taijiquan seemed especially satisfying this evening. I feel like I gained another insight to help with balance. I have a habit...a karate habit...of not equally applying pressure to the ground with my whole foot. Most of the pressure tends to end up on the outer edges of the foot. This is great when moving in traditional karate stances, where you have both feet in constant contact with the ground (sliding them forward or back in a sort of "half-moon" arc). Not so hot when you move between postures in taiji, which leaves you momentarily carrying your entire balance on one leg. Applying more pressure to the inside of the foot seems to balance this out, and make me significantly more stable.

I've ordered some more taiji and qigong related material lately as well, as I have some amazon money from the holidays to play with. These should be arriving over the next week. I'm hopeful they will compliment when I have learned from the DVD.

• Like 3

Well this kinda sucks. I'm feeling a little bit under the weather. I've heard influenza is going around. Now I don't feel anywhere nearly that bad, but still out of sorts enough that I took the afternoon off of work to recharge.

Last night I wasn't in my optimum fighting form either, but I still managed to get through all my exercises. Continuing the "grease the groove" approach to body weight training appears to be going well. I can keep it up, even on a day where I'm not feeling so hot. The trick is to truly allow a full recovery between sets, as "grease the groove" calls for. Sometimes I get a bit antsy and do my next set within 5 - 10 minutes of the last. But I've found that doing them about 20 - 30 minutes apart allows the the full recharge required. And it seems to be working. While I'm not necessarily getting stronger, at least not dramatically, the approach is working to give me greater endurance. One of these days I should really try a max-rep set of pull-ups and then dips. I'm curious. I haven't measured this since...a really long time.

I also had a sort of mini-breakthrough with taiji, where I stopped worrying about being so technically correct. More relaxation and flow, and it felt more like my form was coming alive.

• Like 1

Today I'm still feeling a bit ill. I managed to make it through the work day, but it took a lot out of me. Today is a body weight exercise and yoga day (I generally do this on Mon, Wed, Fri), and I have opted to still do it, but I'm only doing a partial workout on each. I just feel so gassed today. Taiji and qigong will still happen, but this may be a shortened routine too, depending on how it goes. Who knows, maybe the internal energy will kick in and I'll do better than I think I will.

Something is better than nothing. And there is always tomorrow. I can do a little bit more if I feel up to it.

• Like 1

Daw, sorry you're under the weather! I don't know where you are, but we've got a lot of illness going around on the US east coast. Feel better!

Taiji and qigong felt a bit off this evening. But I can accept that. Not every practice needs to be an "I've made significant progress!" type of moment. Sometimes it can be an "I'm a bit off today, I'm having a hard time finding my center, take special note of why this is" moment. This is also valuable. I realized this is a good hint that I'm feeling a bit low, both physically and mentally, and that I need to take extra care and look after myself. I suppose this was inevitable, considering the physical illness last week, and increased stress in other areas this week. But as long as I pay attention to what my body and mind are telling me, and what taiji is telling me, everything will auto correct and I'll be back in top form again before long.

• Like 3

After another very full day at work, my lovely family had the wonderful idea of going out to eat. It was glorious. But not so great for the body weight exercise routine I usually do on Wednesdays. I'm more than a bit full. No biggie. I designed my plan to be flexible, for such occasions. Today's BW workout shall simply be moved to tomorrow, and Friday's BW workout can be moved to Saturday. I still get my 3 per week that way.

Taiji and qigong will still happen tonight, after some digestion happens ; p

• Like 2

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:50 AM, Daryl of Barbaria said:

Sometimes it can be an "I'm a bit off today, I'm having a hard time finding my center, take special note of why this is" moment. This is also valuable

This is a very good observation. 

Glad you're feeling better!

• Like 1

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

On 1/16/2018 at 10:50 PM, Daryl of Barbaria said:

Taiji and qigong felt a bit off this evening. But I can accept that. Not every practice needs to be an "I've made significant progress!" type of moment. Sometimes it can be an "I'm a bit off today, I'm having a hard time finding my center, take special note of why this is" moment. This is also valuable. I realized this is a good hint that I'm feeling a bit low, both physically and mentally, and that I need to take extra care and look after myself. I suppose this was inevitable, considering the physical illness last week, and increased stress in other areas this week. But as long as I pay attention to what my body and mind are telling me, and what taiji is telling me, everything will auto correct and I'll be back in top form again before long.

Very valuable!!! It can be so difficult for people to acknowledge what their body is telling them, at the time it's telling them something, How long have you been practicing now?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

This is a very good observation. 

Glad you're feeling better!

Thank you. I think I'm finally getting there.

1 hour ago, RedStone said:

Very valuable!!! It can be so difficult for people to acknowledge what their body is telling them, at the time it's telling them something, How long have you been practicing now?

Not very long, only since about mid-November I believe. I've had a few disjointed taiji classes in the past, but never as part of a consistent effort. November really marks the beginning of consistent training in earnest.

Taiji practice is still going strong. I'm trying to slow the moves down now, and see if I can maintain balance through the "in between moments" of the postures. It's quite difficult, but I think I am starting to see some small results. Even the basic moves near the beginning of the form, like the repeating parting the horses mane and brush knee postures have so much to gain from very slow, deliberate practice. It's quite a different approach from when I did karate, where the speed of a technique could carry you through the spots where your balance and centered-ness isn't so hot. Slow down, and you have to deal with it, without cheating.