• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

annyshay

Annyshay's Intentions Wrought with Ws

Welcome friends, new and old! My name is Annyshay (or Shannon in real life), and this is my first challenge of 2018. I initially joined Nerd Fitness on March 5, 2012. If you're interested in more backstory, feel free to refer to my Battle Log - Legend of Annyshay v2. I will be experimenting with formatting of my challenges and battle logs, so feel free to give me feedback on what you find helpful. 

I set my intentions for 2017 as Explore, Expand, and Embody. I found it helpful to have these guiding principles instead of more typical resolutions. Also, alliteration for the win. So, I continued with the theme for my main quest this year.

Main Quest: Care, Connect, Create

Wait just a minute! You said that your intentions were going to be wrought with Ws. I see no Ws. Fear not, rebels. Cs may capture my intentions, but challenge goals are work. This challenge, my work will be wrought with Ws. I told you that I like alliteration.

Walk - spend at least 5 minutes per day walking outside

Write - maintain my streak on 4thewords.com by writing at least 444 words per day

Weave - explore and track opportunities to connect with other humans in real life

What say ye? Prepare yourselves for an adventure and we'll get started officially on January first. 2018, Allons-y! 

• Like 9

Goal Breakdowns

Walk

Spoiler

Remember that episode of Firefly where Zoe and Mal's friend, Tracey, arrives in a crate? The Message it was called. Anyway, there's an idea in there that I've found very helpful on my journeys. 

"When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl... when you can't do that..." ~Tracey~

"... you find somebody to carry you." ~Zoe~

2017 beat me up pretty bad. There were definitely times where I needed somebody to carry me. Currently, I'm fairly solidly in the crawling category. I disagree with Tracey just a bit though. There's definitely a step in between crawling and running. Walking. And, I'm going to start really slow with a manageable habit that I can build on over the year.

Walking is a huge part of any good adventure. Walking and dragons. Lord of the Rings exemplifies this better than most with lovely descriptions of the flora and fauna of each reason that sound like they came out of a trail guide written by somebody with slightly more archaic and elegant prose. ;) Anyway, there are websites that break down the walking in the Lord of the Rings as a walk to Mordor (and back again). I started one of these a few years ago but let it slide. My hope is to resume my adventure. I'm not self-imposing any time limits because some days the better part of valor is just hiding from the Nazgul. Other days there is plenty of cover and a clear path ahead.

Last challenge, I tried a daily barefoot walk challenge, but I found myself phoning it in. It's fun to do intermittently, but there were many days that I would have gone on a much longer walk if I didn't have to deal with keeping my feet and cleaning them up afterwards. So, I'm going to make it an even smaller habit until I get it established for real. I can walk 5 minutes outside every day, even when I am on vacation with my mother in the Arizona desert. 

Write

Spoiler

Before I went to medical school, writing was crucial to maintaining my emotional health as well as the best way that I found to express myself to others. I have journals and journals of writing on my shelves from elementary school onwards. I never stopped writing exactly, but it became a much less frequent strategy reserved for when all my other coping mechanisms failed. It turned into a painful process, and so I did less and less of it. As I am healing, writing has been coming back to me as a powerful tool and an old friend. With my new support systems and the skills of meditation that I learned here at Nerd Fitness, I have been able to wade back into the realm of writing. I want to maintain and grow this habit. One of my epic quest items has been to write a book. This might be a stretch goal for the year, but first I need to solidify my habit of writing each day.

4thewords was a great find for me, thanks again Bouncer the Resilient! It's a game told as a story in which you get rewards for "battling monsters". Basically you write a certain number of words in a certain time period to win a battle. You can also win items by maintaining a writing streak. This requires that you write at least 444 words a day. I've been able to do this most days for the last month, but I want to spend another challenge focusing on this crucial habit. I want writing to be part of the foundation that my awesome life is built upon. Also, all the coolest kids are doing it. ;)

Weave

Spoiler

So this is the loosest of my goals for this challenge. I chose to leave it open on purpose because I have no idea how to break my bigger goal of forging a positive supportive social network in the real world into manageable tasks that don't terrify me. Online dating? Meet ups? Agreeing to go out more? These things terrify my inner introvert, so I need to choose a smaller goal. I'm still playing around with Super Better, which has some good tasks that relate to social resilience, but I think I would benefit from a bit more focus on this area. Also, when I intentionally experiment with areas of my life in a challenge, I tend to learn all sorts of awesome things from my fellow rebels. So, expect this to be the part of my challenge with more rambling and less of a yes or no answer to whether or not I did the thing.

Wait a minute, Annyshay... What about Wim Hof?!?! 

Never fear, trusty rebels. I am planning to continue my Wim Hof challenges and keep you updated about them. I may keep most of the details in my battle log, unless you'd prefer it here. I know that I will continue to work on Wim Hof without the added support that the challenge gives me, so I chose not to make it one of my challenge goals for now. I think Wim Hof is kind of in the same space as my morning routine and meditation, in that it has become a part of my daily habits. It needs maintenance more than ongoing experimentation. In fact, I'm still trying to find a good way to keep track of my established habits on here. It helps me to stay accountable about them, but writing out a list of the same things each day gets boring pretty quickly for you and for me. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Following.

Woot.

4 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

We'll walk the path together (in our hearts).

lionesses-walking-together-in-grassland-

Gryffindarlings 4 life.

2 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Loving the alliteration too :D

And I really like the straight-to-the-point simplicity you've got going on here. Definitely following along.

Thanks! When things get fancy... I don't do them. ;)

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Great stuff!

That's the hope!

• Like 2

ooooooooooh :love-struck:

Love the alliterations and the walking spirit! Definitely part of the many great hero stories!!

You know, you gave one of my favorite mantras just a totally new spin here: I can't fall any deeper than onto the Divine Ground that will always carry me. From now on the carry part has a whole new meaning :D so let's get carried while we walk, right?

Walking and writing with you this challenge :cheerful:

Thanks for being a constant shining light in our lives!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

#following

Huzzah!

5 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

ooooooooooh :love-struck:

Love the alliterations and the walking spirit! Definitely part of the many great hero stories!!

You know, you gave one of my favorite mantras just a totally new spin here: I can't fall any deeper than onto the Divine Ground that will always carry me. From now on the carry part has a whole new meaning :D so let's get carried while we walk, right?

Walking and writing with you this challenge :cheerful:

Thanks for being a constant shining light in our lives!

*hugs*

I am so glad to see you again dear friend. Your kind words and spirit are such a blessing to me. :)

• Like 1

You had me at Firely and LOTR (even though you know I would have followed you regardless). Looking forward to what you have in store, friend.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wolfen said:

You had me at Firely and LOTR (even though you know I would have followed you regardless). Looking forward to what you have in store, friend.

Shiny. ;)

• Like 1

Happy New Year, Nerds!!!

1533775_704039669627183_377746377_n.jpg

Let's get this challenge rolling shall we? I'm already off to a bang up start for 2018, as per usual.

Walk - I'm about to head out on a walk with my mom, cousin, and aunt to some nearby parks in Yuma. I'll try to snag some pictures, although my family is notoriously camera shy. 

Write - I've already written over 600 words on 4TW so far. I also just won the santa hat for fighting certain monsters. Now I'm trying to get more snowflakes so that I can unlock some more rewards before the winter wonderland ends on January 3rd. Basically, I love 4TW.

Weave - So, Rising Heroes has put up it's new missions for this week. One of them is a randomized social mission that we will need to complete 3 times. My first randomized social mission is called "Say My Name, Say My Name" which is basically to try to remember somebody's name in real life. We're going out to lunch after our walk, so I'll make an effort to learn my server's name and wish them a Happy New Year.

- Not to mention the long text messages I have endured to set up this walking date, hah. Socializing is hard, yo.

So, that's what I've accomplished so far today. More posts and updates as I go.

Are you guys already killing the New Year and New Challenge? I bet you are. :)

• Like 10

Walk and Horseback Riding Update

Spoiler

Mom, Aunt Laura, my cousin Carissa, and I had quite an active first day of 2018. We met up at Mom's house around 10:30 with the plan to go for a walk and have lunch. We went to the same park Mom took me to the last time I visited Yuma, East Wetlands, which runs along the river that borders town. It's one of the greenest parts of town for obvious reasons. This year it was obvious that Yuma had done some recent forest management because there were way more vistas and overlooks onto the river. There were lots of Aspen trees that were a delightful golden color amongst the usual Mesquite trees. There also seemed to be a large amount of Cottonwood trees that had recently shed. Big parts of the forest seemed to be floating in a bathtub or almost covered in snow. It was lovely and made us all glad we didn't have any allergy problems. We took a few turns and wound our way back towards the river and went a bit past the cars to the Ocean to Ocean bridge. Two trains came by while the oder generation were taking a bathroom break, so I just stared serenely. Carissa and I also noticed a few delightful things. One twenty something woman had a pair of headphones on and was busting a move without any inhibitions. There were also two adorable little girls in cowboy boots with pink fluffy dresses on that were exploring under the eyes of their male relatives. We headed back to our vehicles and went to Downtown Yuma where there were a few restaurants open. We went to the Pint House and had some good pub food for lunch. Afterwards Carissa came back to our house and we decided to go horseback riding together. Carissa loves horses but hasn't had much experience. I was walking before I was riding but only get to do it once or twice a year currently so I'm a bit rusty. Mom has been teaching people and horses how to do horseback riding since she was a teenager. She got me on Spring, who I hadn't rode before and was slightly more skittish than her other horse, Shayanna, who Carissa got on. Mom got us situated and then got the horse she was going to ride, Tricia. We stayed in the round pen for a while, but once Mom was on, Carissa and I ventured out into the bigger pasture. Spring was nervous about some plastic lying at one end of the ring, which it took me a while to see. In the meantime, Shayanna spooked (really unusual). Unfortunately, Carissa's saddle slid to the side and she ended up falling off. Carissa had the wind knocked out of her but otherwise nobody got hurt. Carissa was a trooper and got right back on. She went for a bit of walk before deciding that she was done for the day. I stayed on Spring and tried to let her calm down while Mom helped Carissa but Shayanna away. Mom then got back on Tricia and we walked a bit before Mom and Tricia were being tailed by a bee that wouldn't leave her alone. Mom got off and we called it quits before there was any more excitement. I'm really proud that Spring and I held it together when Carissa and Shayanna had a problem so close to us, but I'm more proud of Carissa for being a trooper. Having the wind knocked out of you is never fun and even ore scary when you're an adult trying a new thing.

I have photos from our antics and will post them once I get to a more stable internet connection. Patience, friends.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, annyshay said:

her other horse, Shayanna,

She named after you?

8 hours ago, annyshay said:

Spring was nervous about some plastic lying at one end of the ring

They become nervous for the little-lest things! If the wind blows funny through the leaves, they snort or make big eyes :D

Glad Carissa is ok, and woot! woot! for her getting right back on. I second you on her being a trooper. Glad she got back on. I can't remember how many times I've either been scraped off a horse (walk under low hanging branches with resort horses that aren't trained nicely, and won't stop for you....) and once sort of bucked off. You both did great!

• Like 3

LOVE your super active first day of the year! also love that you're getting some proper vacation weather. it's so cold in the north. I'm happy you are able to be warm and outdoors right now.

• Like 2

Outside adventures is a great way to start the new year! Way to inspire the rest of us!

I couldn't talk myself into poking my nose out into the cold yesterday... but that changes today!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

She named after you?

Apparently her full name is Shayanna Summer Wolf. HAHAHA. Mom didn't want to yell Summer across the pasture, so she decided "Shay" was close to Shannon and would work. So, kinda?

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I can't remember how many times

Mom's rule is that you have to fall off three times before you're a real rider. We told Carissa she was closer now. :)

1 hour ago, karinajean said:

LOVE your super active first day of the year! also love that you're getting some proper vacation weather. it's so cold in the north. I'm happy you are able to be warm and outdoors right now.

It's going to be rough to come back to basically zero degrees on Wednesday night, but I'm trying to soak up the sun for sure!

1 hour ago, CallunaTook said:

Outside adventures is a great way to start the new year! Way to inspire the rest of us!

I couldn't talk myself into poking my nose out into the cold yesterday... but that changes today!

Go get em!

• Like 3

Following from almost the beginning this time!!  :D  I love your goals and I'm excited to follow along!

I also just went to 4thewords.com, having never heard of it before; and the first question on the homepage - "What is this new, magical place?" - is exactly what went through my mind. WHAT. THE. WHAT. This is beautiful and incredible and WHOOOA. Also, I saw you on the news feed!  :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1