• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tara1982

Year of the Dog

Hello everyone! My name is Tara, and 2018 is going to be the year for a healthier lifestyle. For quite a few years now, I've had plenty of excuses why I was always too busy to take care of myself.... full time school, full time job, studying for a CPA exam, etc... Well, 2017 was a great year to finish off those excuses. I graduated with my Master's degree and passed all my CPA exams. While I still work a lot of hours, I need to figure out a good work-life balance in order to take care of myself, and this site seems to be a fun place to do it. I'm currently 165 pounds and only 5'4. :( I'm both blessed and cursed with my coworkers. I love my coworkers, but they are all very healthy people. I say blessed, because I'm surrounded by great influences that will definitely help me reach my goals of a sustainable healthy lifestyle. I say cursed, because I'm one of the biggest people there, and I have a hard time not comparing myself to them. While friends are a great tool to use for success, it's only myself that I'm letting down by not accomplishing my goals, and comparing myself to others doesn't help.

My main quest for the next 6 months to a year is to ultimately lose the 30 pounds I have slowly gained over the past 10 years and get back to my glory days. In order to achieve my main quest, I have 4 smaller quests to accomplish over the course of this challenge. However, I do want to maintain these quests onto the next challenge. The smaller quests are the following:

1. Drink at least 3-4 bottles of water a day. My bottle is 25 ounces.

2. Meal prep for my work lunches every week. Currently, I do it every other week. For some reason, I get lazy every other week.

3. Go to the gym Monday through Thursday. My coworkers go every day, and they are constantly trying to get me to go with them. 

4. Work out on my own on a Saturday or Sunday. 

• Like 2

Hello! 

Sounds like you've had a busy few years, congratulations on your Masters! 

Do you already belong to the gym, and you're going to go more often, or are you joining up for new? I'm toying with the idea of joining the gym but the thought fills me with absolute panic :)

Good luck with your challenge!!!

Hey, Tara! It's awesome that you have coworkers who are encouraging you to go to the gym with them, instead of pressuring you to eat candy! :) Don't worry about how you compare. Most people feel just like you do, even if they look and act like they've got it all together. Tackle the challenge - you've GOT this!!

Hi Mab,

Thank you. :) I just joined LA Fitness last week, but I haven’t made it so far. I have a couple of coworkers that go before work, and I was going to go with them. Unfortunately, when my alarm goes off, I can’t stop the urge to press snooze. So instead of setting myself up for failure, I’m going to go after work with a couple other coworkers. Luckily, it’s right next to my work, so I’ll avoid traffic when I go to the gym. I used to go all the time 10 years ago. It’s scary at first, but once you start, you’ll notice everyone is in the same boat as you.

Hi Perqui,

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

On 30-12-2017 at 8:07 PM, Tara1982 said:

I'm both blessed and cursed with my coworkers. I love my coworkers, but they are all very healthy people. I say blessed, because I'm surrounded by great influences that will definitely help me reach my goals of a sustainable healthy lifestyle. I say cursed, because I'm one of the biggest people there, and I have a hard time not comparing myself to them.

I think it's mostly a blessing, i mean just swap them out for unhealthy junkfood lovers that every day try to get you to go eating bad stuff with them. I would take the first bunch in a heartbeat!

And you being the biggest person there, well, that's just a matter of time. You will get there, and honestly, even though some people say you shouldn't compare yourself, you will automatically do. I have found that the best progress is made when the ones you compare yourself to are good at what they do.

I changed gyms last year, and i went from being one of the best to being mediocre. I have made more progress in the short time i have been at my new gym than i have at the whole 3 years i was at my old gym. The only thing you have to be wary off is that you aren't overdoing it. Keep things sensible.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, you can post your questions here, or you could tag me (or someone else) by (@ + username)  like this: @Mr_Willes

hi and welcome!

I hear you on the coworkers blessing / curse. I'm lucky in that I AM A GIANT, so even at my heaviest I was able to pretend I wasn't that overweight compared to everyone else because my scale was so much different. but - here is a mantra for you, if you want it: COMPARISON IS THE THEFT OF JOY. I've been reminding myself of this for a bit now and it's super helpful.

do you like going to the gym? I know this sounds like a doofy question, but just checking in. Part of the fun of these challenges is that you can try different things to see what sticks, and try new things next challenge, etc. (though that might be a strictly assassin point of view, we are notorious for chasing shiny things.) I really like the idea of you going after work every day so you will have a routine and a good habit. What do you plan to do there?

• Like 1

HI Karma, Mr. Willis, and Karinajean,

Thank you for the encouragement, and we all got this. I used to run half marathons, but I haven’t ran in awhile. I wanted to take it slow at the gym at first, so I went for the bike. I barely broke a sweat; I guess my body hasn’t lost all of its old endurance after all. It is great to have coworkers to go with. :)

On 5-1-2018 at 5:26 AM, Tara1982 said:

I guess my body hasn’t lost all of its old endurance after all.

Very good to hear! This bodes well for upcoming workouts!

It is great to have coworkers to go with.

I agree, i have a coworker that i occasionally do runs with, it's always good to be able to talk "healthy" at work.

BTW, how did the weekend go?