New to Nerd Fitness - but all in!

I’m 35 years old, 5’3” and 110lbs, but slim doesn’t mean fit! My greatest fear is losing my health, mobility and independence in old age, especially since I’m single and will have no family to help me.

I figure health/fitness is like a bank account. Healthy habits = deposits. I want to build up enough savings so the natural withdrawals of age won’t bankrupt my account completely. My ultimate mission is to develop healthier habits for life. I’m in for the long haul.

I found Nerd Fitness by searching for articles on bodyweight training. I’ve just recently started identifying with "nerd culture" after discovering that I liked Harry Potter, Game of Thrones and Wonder Woman, so this sounds like a fun rebellion to join! Guilds, characters and quests? Awesome. 

Long-Term Quest: be an abnormally healthy, spunky senior citizen 

Short-Term Quest: get more functionally fit than an Amish farmer :smile-new:

Challenge 1 Mini-Quests - I'm starting out small while I get the hang of how this NF Challenge thing works!

1. Replace all sugary treats with healthy snacks 
  2. Add 4-min HIIT workout after my AM run
  3. Read 2 bodyweight strength training books  
  4. Complete 1/3 of 12-week Horsemanship Challenge 

Anyone got some Felix Felicis handy? 

Felix Felicis.jpg

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Perqui said:

I figure health/fitness is like a bank account. Healthy habits = deposits. I want to build up enough savings so the natural withdrawals of age won’t bankrupt my account completely.

This appeals to my inner accountant, if you were my client I'd give you a pat on the head :) xx

7 hours ago, Perqui said:

Short-Term Quest: get more functionally fit than an Amish farmer :smile-new:

**Snorts**

Good luck with your challenge! Have you seen the Beginners Bodyweight thing? I'd not heard of bodyweight training til I started looking on this forum, but like you I've decided it is the way to go - although I did some squats the other day and now my thighs hate me. Be interesting to hear how you go on with it, let us know if you find some good books!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Karma Krishok said:

Very clear goals! I hear you about fears for later in life, not as much physical but dementia is my biggest one. It's so hard on people and everyone around them. It definitely motivates me to keep moving. Good luck with the challenge!

I'm with you on dementia. My grandmother has it, and it's been such a drain on the family. Hoping to keep my mind active and healthy as well as my body!

3 hours ago, Mab said:

This appeals to my inner accountant, if you were my client I'd give you a pat on the head :) xx

**Snorts**

Good luck with your challenge! Have you seen the Beginners Bodyweight thing? I'd not heard of bodyweight training til I started looking on this forum, but like you I've decided it is the way to go - although I did some squats the other day and now my thighs hate me. Be interesting to hear how you go on with it, let us know if you find some good books!

Yes, I'm definitely interested in Beginners Bodyweight! I didn't know bodyweight was a thing until recently either, but I love the idea of being able to work out no matter where I am, and not have to spend a fortune on gyms and equipment. I've done some of the exercises and you're right, they're really effective. The wall sit really gets me - have you tried that one? 

I flipped through several bodyweight books on Amazon/Google preview and the library, and I found two that I liked and want to read cover-to-cover:

Body by You by Mark Lauren - it's similar to his more popular title You Are Your Own Gym, but adapted specifically for women (so a little lighter on the upper-body stuff). It has a very clear progression of exercises (from easiest versions to the real deal) to follow, you can start wherever your level is, and they're all easily done at home. 

Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy by Bret Contreras - it's a bit technical in parts but the illustrations are worth the whole book, they really show you clearly what's going on with different muscles when you do specific bodyweight exercises, and it describes the how-to's and proper form as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Perqui said:

I'm with you on dementia. My grandmother has it, and it's been such a drain on the family. Hoping to keep my mind active and healthy as well as my body!

Sorry to hear that. My grandfather had it, and now my best friend's grandmother. It's really awful. Wish you and your family a lot of strength!

• Thanks 1

Level 4 Adventurer
Challenges: 7654321

I think your long term quest is great as I know exactly how you feel. I also am unlikely to have family around to look after me when I'm old, and I really want to be able to enjoy my life for as long as possible. I think your short term goal of functional fitness is definitely the way to go. Best of luck with this challenge!

• Like 1
On 12/31/2017 at 8:11 AM, Perqui said:

I figure health/fitness is like a bank account. Healthy habits = deposits. I want to build up enough savings so the natural withdrawals of age won’t bankrupt my account completely. My ultimate mission is to develop healthier habits for life. I’m in for the long haul.

Lol I love this analogy! 

On 12/31/2017 at 7:17 PM, Perqui said:

Body by You by Mark Lauren - it's similar to his more popular title You Are Your Own Gym, but adapted specifically for women (so a little lighter on the upper-body stuff). It has a very clear progression of exercises (from easiest versions to the real deal) to follow, you can start wherever your level is, and they're all easily done at home. 

I own You Are Your Own Gym but ended up trading body weight training for learning how to run. I like the idea of having profession of exercises, I don't remember You Are Your Own Gym having that. I must check out this book! Thanks for sharing Perqui!

I do love that you are thinking about old age but you do realise that you are still young right? I totally plan to live at least to 100 so I'm not even half way through my life! Super young :D (I'm 34 btw)

This is also my first challenge and have taken it slow. You have some good goals, what is the horseman ship challenge exactly? You ride horses?

~If you change today, tomorrow will be different~

9 hours ago, Mindrah said:

I do love that you are thinking about old age but you do realise that you are still young right? I totally plan to live at least to 100 so I'm not even half way through my life! Super young :D (I'm 34 btw)

This is also my first challenge and have taken it slow. You have some good goals, what is the horseman ship challenge exactly? You ride horses?

Yes, I'd love to live to 100 too - as long as I'm in good health! :D I know 30s are technically still young, but I'm seeing many of my peers' (30s-40s) bodies "breaking down" already, and they act older than some 70-year-olds I know - not gonna happen to me if I can help it! And yup, I do ride horses. Every year I join a group of fellow horse folks in a "Horsemanship Challenge" where we try to fit in 30 rides and 40 horsemanship hours (think "quality time and training") during a 12-week period, Jan-Mar. We encourage each other to spend time with our horses even on those cold, wet, yucky days when no one wants to be outside. I think the horses appreciate it, too! 

• Like 2
On 31/12/2017 at 11:17 AM, Perqui said:

I flipped through several bodyweight books on Amazon/Google preview and the library, and I found two that I liked and want to read cover-to-cover:

Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy by Bret Contreras - it's a bit technical in parts but the illustrations are worth the whole book, they really show you clearly what's going on with different muscles when you do specific bodyweight exercises, and it describes the how-to's and proper form as well. 

Thanks for mentioning these - very interesting resources.

Your Horsemanship Challenge sounds so great! What a wonderful idea to turn a miserable time of year into a season to relish, and an opportunity to bond with your animals! I need to come up with a way to make winter fun...

Looking forward to your updates! 

On 1/13/2018 at 4:04 PM, Perqui said:

I know 30s are technically still young, but I'm seeing many of my peers' (30s-40s) bodies "breaking down" already, and they act older than some 70-year-olds I know - not gonna happen to me if I can help it!

Yes! So much this! I'm a 29-year-old single woman myself, and I see my peers going one of two ways - some of them are active and prioritize caring for their bodies, and they're thriving and enjoying life; but others are slowing down and getting more sedentary. I want to belong to the first group!!

How did your week go? What did you do to start working toward your goals?

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 47

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

On 1/20/2018 at 11:41 PM, SkyGirl said:

Yes! So much this! I'm a 29-year-old single woman myself, and I see my peers going one of two ways - some of them are active and prioritize caring for their bodies, and they're thriving and enjoying life; but others are slowing down and getting more sedentary. I want to belong to the first group!!

How did your week go? What did you do to start working toward your goals?

It was a good week - especially since we got a snowstorm which - in SC - means everything's closed and I got a day off. :) I'm trying to find creative ways to insert functional fitness into my day. Like jumping over the porch railing instead of walking up the steps. The neighbors probably think I've lost my marbles, but I'm having fun! What about you? What goals are you working on right now?

• Like 1