• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

millhavenslottie

millhavenslottie starts the year off...slowly

I am amazed (and a little humbled) at how creative everyone else has been with their personal goal descriptions/classes/shows/daemons. My goals for the year are not nearly as interestingly laid out. I just tend to make a lot of lists.

After job hunting and moving across the country exactly a year ago and dealing with a sick/needy dog and a new job since then, I have 

1. Gained a ridiculous amount of weight - I'm at least 15 pounds heavier than I've ever been in my life and I'm a very short person
  2. My BF percentage has gone way up
  3. I've lost sooo much of the hard won strength I had 2015-2016, from nearly two years of aerials (silks and trapeze, mostly) multiple times a week.

This has led to:

1. Frustration with myself and my lack of self discipline
  2. Somewhat poor self image (not too bad, though, I'm generally pretty even keel about these sorts of things)
  3. My clothes not fitting (I don't want to buy all new clothes, because they are too expensive)
  4. Inability to do even the most basic things whenever I do suck it up and go into a silks class. I can do basic climbs now. That is basically it. No more "perfecting my inverts" or "keeping good form and tightening my core in multiple level drops," no, I can...climb. I can't even do a solid pull-up. This frustration leads to not wanting to go to classes, which leads, as one might guess, to me getting even weaker and heavier.

So my main fitness goals for 2018 are to:

1. Lose weight, at LEAST to the point I was before I moved (about twenty pounds). Eventually, the goal would be to be even leaner than that, as I also gained a bit in grad school I hadn't lost yet. (About 10-15 more pounds, depending on muscle mass.)
  2. Get back into aerials, at least in the "one class a week," "pursuing new goals," "doing a single studio show" sort of level. The level where I won't embarrass myself if I go back to visit my old studio.
  3. Do some cross training with hiking/rock climbing/boxing/dancing/gymnastics. I didn't do enough of that before, so this will be a newish goal, rather than a respawn of an old goal. A lot of the assassin quests relating to parkour and gymnastics looked interesting, too, and I know I tend to neglect lower body exercises because of a wonky hip joint.

I still need to think through which other life goals are important to me. I tend to be pretty unrealistic about the sheer number of things I can achieve in a year.

For the January challenge, I have decided to:

1. Drink at least 64 oz of water a day. (This should be easy, but, well, I've fallen off the wagon in so many ways.)
  2. Have a 500 calorie deficit 6 out of 7 days a week. (No specific diet plans yet, I just need to get in the habit of limiting junk food and eating out.)
  3. Stick with the NF workouts at home this month.
  4. Attend at least one class/activity a week, such as yoga, pilates, rock climbing, or boxing (the stuff in my immediate neighborhood). I may end up having international work travel, so this one may get scrapped, but as long as I'm at home, this is a goal.
  5. Hit my 10K step goal each day.

And...just because everyone else seems to have a cool sci fi tie-in, my current favorite sci fi shows are probably:

1. Farscape (this has been my favorite for years, so probably won't get dethroned)
  2. Battlestar Galactica (but the ending blew, and it's too dark for me always to want to watch it)
  3. Killjoys
  4. The Magicians

I am currently watching SG-1 from the beginning just because I've never seen it and I want to see Ben Browder and Claudia Black in the later seasons, and there are enough episodes that it should keep me busy for quite awhile. 
This has nothing whatsoever to do with any of the rest of my goals. I have no gifs. What am I even doing. :/

• Like 2

Hahaha I feel you on the unthemed challenge... I have so many theme ideas but then when it comes time to type up a challenge I get real lazy and don’t want to look up millions of gifs :P

Following! :D

21 hours ago, millhavenslottie said:

Inability to do even the most basic things whenever I do suck it up and go into a silks class. I can do basic climbs now. That is basically it. No more "perfecting my inverts" or "keeping good form and tightening my core in multiple level drops," no, I can...climb. I can't even do a solid pull-up. This frustration leads to not wanting to go to classes, which leads, as one might guess, to me getting even weaker and heavier.

Hello & welcome! You are not alone in this :P I feel your pain and frustration! It will come back you know, if you keep at it. And it's not bad to go back to foundations, even very unwillingly. You add new layers to your training. I had a a couple of fellow aerialists who went through pregnancies, and yes it's tough to come back to beginner classes when your crowd is progressing on the upper level. But it happens, whether the break is wanted or not. They did catch up and quite fast actually, considering what a pregnancy does to your body. People go through this, why not you and why not me, let's do it :P 

Re BSG, I agree the last seasons were a bit so-so compared to the first ones. I really loved the beginnings though, and the soundtrack, absolutely loved it. I lived in Scotland for a long time, and the Celtic tunes still makes me a bit emotional :redface:

I enjoyed Farscape as well, it seems like a long time ago though, a bit like Babylon 5 (feeling old ha!)

In for aerial rebuilding. :) I'm 8-10 months back from a year-plus without circus myself so I can definitely relate to the feeling squishy and as if all strength and skills have been lost.

It definitely comes back faster the second time. :)

(and I don't have themed challenges much anymore myself)

hey and welcome!

I am CONSISTENTLY feeling like my challenges are boring compared to many here, so 1. don't worry about it and 2. you're totally wrong, your lists are super interesting! if only there was a way to gif a list.... 

I personally think that 500 calorie deficits/day when you are ramping up your activity levels is TOO MUCH DEFICIT, but it seems to be a popular tactic around here and in the fitness community in general. I'd just say listen to your body and respond accordingly if it asks you for a lot more sleep. 

It is really hard to come back to something you used to be better at because you can't stop comparing yourself to your past self. When I've had to come back after injury, I found that (as cheesy as it sounds) focusing on one particular win or lesson learned from each return practice helped me avoid some of the Pit of Despair associated with the return workouts. 

On 12/30/2017 at 9:54 PM, millhavenslottie said:

For the January challenge, I have decided to:

1. Drink at least 64 oz of water a day. (This should be easy, but, well, I've fallen off the wagon in so many ways.)
  2. Have a 500 calorie deficit 6 out of 7 days a week. (No specific diet plans yet, I just need to get in the habit of limiting junk food and eating out.)
  3. Stick with the NF workouts at home this month.
  4. Attend at least one class/activity a week, such as yoga, pilates, rock climbing, or boxing (the stuff in my immediate neighborhood). I may end up having international work travel, so this one may get scrapped, but as long as I'm at home, this is a goal.
  5. Hit my 10K step goal each day.

You still with us? :) How is it going?

1 hour ago, raptron said:

You still with us? :) How is it going?

Yup. I just was out four out of the seven days last week with a migraine, so my progress (and screen time) was minimal.  I'll check in properly after work today - I want to catch up on everybody else, too.

1 minute ago, millhavenslottie said:

Yup. I just was out four out of the seven days last week with a migraine, so my progress (and screen time) was minimal.  I'll check in properly after work today - I want to catch up on everybody else, too.

:( Glad you're feeling better now.

Oh man, that's rough. Hope things are improving!

Mannn, that's awful. Hope it's fully out of the way for now. 

On 1/2/2018 at 5:10 AM, karinajean said:

if only there was a way to gif a list.... 

I so agree, and yet feel like my inner Hermione is coming out. Why don't more people appreciate the humor in plain text boxes?

On 1/2/2018 at 8:13 AM, raptron said:

I personally think that 500 calorie deficits/day when you are ramping up your activity levels is TOO MUCH DEFICIT, but it seems to be a popular tactic around here and in the fitness community in general.

When I'm smaller with a higher muscle percentage, lower body fat, and doing my own calorie counting with aerials multiple days a week, 500 is too much. I usually do lower carb at that point. But I have so much extra weight right now and am only doing these fairly easy workouts to start, that I'm not super concerned. Plus, I'm letting Fitbit calculate my calorie intake, and it is FAR too generous with calculating calories burned by BMR and basic things like slowly walking. It is hundreds off. So, yeah, I am not feeling hungry or cranky or weak or anything like that. Other than the cranky that comes from not being allowed to eat All the Snacks. 

5 minutes ago, millhavenslottie said:

When I'm smaller with a higher muscle percentage, lower body fat, and doing my own calorie counting with aerials multiple days a week, 500 is too much. I usually do lower carb at that point.

Why do you do lower carbs when you have more intensive activity? My intuition would be to increase the carbs, I'm curious.

Dec 31 - Jan 9

So this year did not start off all that well for me - a combination of a weather triggered series of migraines followed by a couple of 14 hour work days (to make up for the projects that fell behind while I was out with a migraine) means that I have not managed to do a full workout or attend a class yet. 

But, as far as everything else, I really didn't do that bad, considering. My current grade is about a B.

1. Water - I was a bit low on the 1st, the 7th, and the 8th, but am at 64oz or above for the other 7 days.  - Success, but could do better.
  2. Calorie deficit - I am letting myself adjust for migraines and recovery days (no deficit on those days), since I don't have steps to give myself more calories, and I sometimes get weird food cravings with migraines. With that in mind, I actually did a bit better than the goal was for the week of the 31-6. I'm running a little behind this week because I snacked too much yesterday while I was working on the computer, but I'm pretty sure I can make that up over the rest of the week. Success.
  3. NF Workouts - There have been four days where I felt fine and could have done one, but I was either working or lazy. Complete fail.
  4. Class - Nope. I have barely left the house, and there were two non-migraine, non-work days where I could have. I'll need to try harder on that. Minor fail.
  5. Step goal - Again, adjusted for migraine days, this is going pretty well. I beat my goal for last week, and am a little behind (though not too much) for this week. Success.

As far as life goals, I've decided to just stick with a few tiny things for January:

1. Spanish practice - Since we're owned by a Spanish company, the majority of my coworkers are native Spanish speakers or at least fluent. I...am not. I passed a technical reading exam once, and that's about it. Working on it through Duolingo and podcasts.
  2. Instagram posting - I used to try to post something interesting every day, and I didn't do that last year. When I looked back in December, I missed being able to go back and see what was happening in my life. So I want to start it up again.
  3. Cards - Getting mail is fun, and it doesn't happen enough. I'm going to try to continue what I started in November and try to send at least one friend/family member a card, so they get surprise mail.

For tomorrow:

1. I need to catch up on the rest of the Assassins board.
  2. I'm going to try to find some old silks videos/clips from back when I could do stuff. Anything. I have enjoyed looking at everybody else's.
  3. I'm going to post a daily update.
  4. Aligned Hatha class.

Randomness of the day - Me soon, as the first of my shows (The Magicians) starts up tomorrow:

rsz_adamtots_bdjsrp9abit.jpg

31 minutes ago, @mu said:

Why do you do lower carbs when you have more intensive activity? My intuition would be to increase the carbs, I'm curious.

The calories vs carbs thing really has more to do with how much weight I have to lose and not the amount of exercise I'm doing. I worded that kind of weirdly.

I stop counting calories, per se, almost entirely when I'm skinnier, but start focusing more on macros and getting a higher percentage of protein to carbs than I do in my general everyday lazy eating. If I count calories when I'm thinner AND working out, I get miserable (probably because my everyday lazy eating has far too many high glycemic index foods and empty calories), but if I keep carbs kind of low (by no means paleo or Atkins or keto low) and actively focus on more protein and vegetables instead, I have had luck slowly losing weight at that point without being weak or miserable. Being very short is frustrating, because at a certain point the "recommended" calories for weight loss are, like, 700 a day, which is not sustainable, especially if you're working out. But at the same time, my body fat and muscle mass aren't at any sort of unhealthy/competition extreme. It's just shortness. 

7 hours ago, millhavenslottie said:

Being very short is frustrating, because at a certain point the "recommended" calories for weight loss are, like, 700 a day, which is not sustainable, especially if you're working out. But at the same time, my body fat and muscle mass aren't at any sort of unhealthy/competition extreme. It's just shortness. 

ZOMG THIS! (And I'm 5'3" so not even very short, just a small person).

No, I cannot survive on less than 1000 calories per day, thankyouverymuch.

• Like 1

Yeah I'd completely ignore anything the calculators say. If you know what your maintenance calorie level is you can simply subtract from that number instead.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yeah I'd completely ignore anything the calculators say. If you know what your maintenance calorie level is you can simply subtract from that number instead.

yes! those calculators are notoriously stupid. Like, they're just equations, and they're not smart enough to consider how many calories your body needs to just LIVE (your basal metabolic rate) and adjust so you don't drop below that!

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yeah, that's the problem, though. My maintenance calorie level (when I'm slightly skinnier) is like 1100-1200, tops. I'm only 5'0" tall and in my 30s. So when I subtract anything at all from that, I end up under 1000, which I don't really want to be, even on days I walk a few miles or take a yoga/pilates class or do a short workout. The only days where I am "allowed" to eat more than 1000 is on aerials days, but that is just stupid. So that's about the point I switch to watching carbs rather than watching calories. I've had decent luck with carbs, but it's more annoying to automatically track and more restrictive with the foods I can eat, so I'm waiting until it's necessary. Right now, I am still at the Do Not Snack and Eat Garbage phase.

Is your maintenance calorie level determined off of hard data or calculators though? I'm asking because I'm a bit confused, maybe I'm misunderstanding. But if you lose weight while watching carbs rather than calories it probably still means that you're eating <1000 calories. You're just not tracking it. 

No matter the cals, the Do Not Snack and Eat Garbage phase is a good place to be. :) 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

But if you lose weight while watching carbs rather than calories it probably still means that you're eating <1000 calories. You're just not tracking it. 

This isn't always true, and I know it's not true for me, because I still track in Fitbit, I just have to do extra calculations. But I can see the calories are not going down at all, it's just the distribution changing.  I'm not 100% up to date on why it works, if they've decided it's an insulin thing or a glycemic thing or a genetic thing or what, but I did read proper studies before I started doing it a few years ago (after hearing all the Atkins horror stories). 

This link seems to have a lot of links to pertinent stuff, though I have looked at none of it closely (I'm on my phone). But I know they have tested giving people the exact same number of calories, some just got those calories with fewer carbs, and the low carb group almost always shows a bit more weight loss. Not that I'm saying everyone else should do this or extreme versions like Atkins are the way to go, but it is something I've found works for me. 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-do-low-carb-diets-work

Ah ok so you're still tracking calories, but not using them as your guide. That makes sense. I was just wondering because the numbers just seemed so very low, even for your height. But as long as you found a way that works and keeps you sane it's all good. :) 

You can also play with increasing your metabolism. I know a lot of women about your size who definitely maintain at higher than 1200 calories/day. It's kind of a tricky process to do, but there are good resources out there. :) 

14 hours ago, raptron said:

You can also play with increasing your metabolism. I know a lot of women about your size who definitely maintain at higher than 1200 calories/day. It's kind of a tricky process to do, but there are good resources out there

That definitely couldn't hurt! I might look into it at some point. Right now, I'm all about just getting back into a more....mindful mindset. Taking a year + off has really changed how I view exercise time/food preparation. And not for the better.