• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ash Raine

Ash Raine has entered the game

maxresdefault.jpg

I am a long time fan of the Assassin's Creed game (I got Origins for Christmas!!!!) and I've been keen on exploring more Parkour although there isn't an easily accessible class or group that I can attend, so I've found a workout that focuses on the exercises needed for Parkour as a starting point. I'm also still keen on the acrobatics side of things, and my two big focuses for the year are handstands and splits. 

Now rather than taking the challenges on the fly one at a time I've put together a 2018 Challenge tracker for myself (link for accountability) and each challenge throughout the year I shall try to tailor towards the overall goal.

So to break it down:

Overarching 2018 goal: Follow the Creed - increase strength and flexibility like an assassin.

Current Challenge Goals

1. Cardio: complete 350,000 steps and cover 25km in "deliberate" distance (i.e. go for a walk or a run). I'd also like to see my resting heart rate decrease from 65 to 61 (where it was at in December before the holiday slump hit) 

2. Strength: Complete 1x beginner bodyweight workout per week, and 2x parkour strength workouts per week. Make progress on all the specific movement goals in my challenge tracker.

3. Good eating: Eat veggies every day and say no to dessert/sugar/chocolate 15 times when I would normally have said yes.

For those interested, the Parkour workout I found is this one:

parkour-workout.jpg

• Like 3

Small change to my challenge: I discovered darebee.com (which I think is pretty awesome) and instead of doing the abovementioned strength workouts I'm going to try the Age of Pandora post-apocolyptic fitness challenge (https://darebee.com/programs/age-of-pandora.html) - it's bodyweight, albeit more focussed on martial arts, but it looks fun and I'm all about making exercising fun this year. So the Strength goal of the challenge is now to work my way through the chapters of this challenge.  It's a daily with different routines each day, but I'm going to aim  for 4x per week. 

• Like 3

Following!!

I love Assassins Creed, i have Origins for a while now but i need to continue it. Have you watched the movie?

6 hours ago, Ash Raine said:

I discovered darebee.com (which I think is pretty awesome)

Darebee is awesome. It has a lot of tips also to improve your fitness, nutrition, running etc. 

I did their 30 Days of Gravity program a few times and its pretty good. I think i used that as my first and second challenge fitness goal.

Cool, so I've done the first two chapters of Age of Pandora  - who knew that knee jumps would get that hard that quickly? Although it does show me that I have a loooong Parkour journey ahead of me :P

I like how they've integrated the movements into a story line - the jumping was part of navigating a dark, obstacle filled corridor. Of course the 1-minute wall sit almost killed me, but there were fearsome beasts chasing me so I had to hide in a shadowy corner and not move. 

I'm back at work tomorrow, bleugh. I should get up early to exercise, but the youngest not-so-tiny terrors still wakes up at night so  I'm usually shattered by morning. I think I'll try setting a fitbit silent alarm for earlier, and then the usual cellphone alarm for normal time. The trick here is to be  honest with myself on how bad a night is has truly been. 

See ya tomorrow! My Pandora guide has just lost his head.... literally, so I foresee cardio in my future.... RUUUUNNNNN!

• Like 1

So this morning's workout was easy. Super easy. As in, my warm up was more strenuous. However as I realise this is a sort-of rest day I decided to trust that the experts who designed the programme know better than me (shock, horror!) and follow it exactly. Given how sore my muscles were when I went for my walk a couple of hours later, I'm thinking perhaps they had a point. Who knew?

• Like 1

Day 4 of Pandora done and dusted. I've found the camp! Of course then something tried to eat me :chargrined: However another quickie workout with knee highs, jumps, and a couple of jumping jack variants and I escaped! Go me!

Tomorrow I have to make it back to camp, which involves either 1.8km run or walk, or 180 knee highs, followed by push-ups and arm workouts. As I'm leaving the kids at home with The Husband (sucks to be him), I'm going to try to leave the house super early, drive to the promenade, and go for my first run in....... well, let's just say that if a post-apocalyptic monster really was chasing me I would be digested by now.

On the healthy eating front, I've been eating my veggies and cutting back on the sugar. The biggest help is that I found a meal planning program (free) that is actually working for me copymethat.com. Basic premise - a chrome extension lets you copy recipes from the web into your profile, or you can capture your own. You can then drag and drop into a meal plan, auto generate shopping lists, etc. It took a good few hours of initial time to open each bookmark, pinterest pin, and to transcribe my common recipes, and then set up all the tags etc. But now that's done it's actually super easy and time saving. 

• Like 2

So I didn't get up super early (bad night with the toddler), but I got up on time and went through for my run. I worked out it's the first time in about 14 months that I've actually done a run, and yes, I would definitely be eaten if I were really being chased. I ran one mile in the time I allocated, with two short walking breaks. We'll just call that interval training.

Then push ups and arm exercises. I looked at the pics and thought "easy!", arm raises especially. After all , I raise my arms all the time. Well all I can say is ow ow ow ow ow. I couldn't do all 20 reps in one go for any of my sets. And here I thought that my arms were pretty strong after picking up the kids all the time. WRONG! Whatever muscles I used today felt like they had never been used before. 

• Like 2

5.1km done and dusted, plus 50 push ups. I'm tired, but it was a glorious morning. 3km was on the catwalk next to the sea, and 2km along the beach. Coming back the tide was coming in so there wasn't much nice compact sand, and I was walking/running into a serious headwind, but fun nonetheless. 

This is a pic of my final turnaround point.

• Like 2

So it turns out that exercising on the weekend with the little terrors is not so easy. But I managed and got my 3km in and two workouts in. Great day for running today, Gorgeous and overcast. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2018 at 8:47 AM, Ash Raine said:

So it turns out that exercising on the weekend with the little terrors is not so easy. But I managed and got my 3km in and two workouts in. Great day for running today, Gorgeous and overcast. 

Oh so very, very true. This morning while attempting to do Turkish Get-Ups I was assaulted by Lego boomerangs being thrown at me (We recently introduced the mini-Browncoat to the NES version of Legend of Zelda and he just got the boomerang). 

That sort of weather is indeed quite nice.

• Haha 1

So in my quest I have just survived being attacked buy scorpions with my arms tied up (those darned religious fanatics going around, hitting people on the heads, tying them up and throwing scorpions at them!). So fun! I've also traversed (run or walked deliberately for exercise) just under 20km since I started this challenged. W00tt w00t, go me :)

Of course, next week Wednesday is international "Ditch New Year's Resolutions Day", but here's crossing fingers I'll still be running away from monsters while trying to discover my mysterious past on the 18th :D

• Like 1

Last week threw a massive heat wave our way, so I didn't do my strength workouts Wed - Fri although I did get my distance in. Back on the wagon now though, and I did my first "proper" push ups this weekend! I'm psyched.

I've also already exceeded my target of 25km deliberate traversal, currently sitting at 32km. 

Annoyingly I left my fitbit at home today. I somehow don't see myself getting 10,000 steps in between 5 and 10pm. Oh well. Onward and upward.

• Like 1

So I won't deny that I've been a little lax on the exercise front this week, but I'm working on that whole habit forming thing and taking it slow.

Did my workout this eve (create a distraction, save the girl), which included burpees. Like, 50! burpees. In 5 sets of 10, but I'm dead. I managed 3 sets, and by the end they were the poorest form you've ever seen. Yeesh yeesh yeesh.

No wonder you crossfit guys are ripped.

• Like 1

Nothing like being a parent, having a couple of hours to oneself, deciding to get some gaming time in, and..... there is a massive update :(

At least it gave me the opportunity (or took away the excuse not to) to exercise. I've collected the next piece of the puzzle in Pandora, and the plot thickens.....

Separately, I was reading Steve's article (5 hacks for habit building) and I realised again is that the hardest part is taking it slow. I WANT to do lots of things, or rather, I want to be good at lots of things NOW, but Smart Me knows that if I try to do everything at once I'll give up at everything. So I'm sticking with Pandora, and I'll try to reboot the veggie thing, which I realised that had unknowingly fallen by the wayside. Slow and steady and all that jazz.

Oh, and tomorrow is my 3-month Nerd Fitness-a-versary. Which means that I have actually kept up an exercise and eating commitment in a semi consistent manner for 3 months :o I haven't weighed or measured myself since then, but I do know that my belt is looser by 2 notches. And I am way stronger than I was in October. Check in tomorrow for the official results ;)

• Like 2

To paraphrase a comment made in the Den: it's not just that I've fallen off the wagon, I don't even know where the wagon has gone :P

Between some personal BS, a heat wave, and a few other factors including sick children I haven't done more than walk in 9 days. Time for a Checkpoint Reload.