• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sylph

sylph preps for performance, part II

Went to open gym last night and finally got a complete run  through of my routine, beginning to end, with music. It was not pretty. It was exhausting. But I did it. Now I have a couple weeks to clean it up. It's not as dramatic as my last routine, but I think it'll be entertaining, engaging for the audience and (maybe) even a little funny. :) Presuming I can manage to emote while working at ~90% capacity. heh.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, sylph said:

Presuming I can manage to emote while working at ~90% capacity. heh.

ALWAYS such a challenge, oh man. 

Yay for the runthrough! 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Cool! Nice job on getting through it all!

5 hours ago, raptron said:

ALWAYS such a challenge, oh man. 

Yay for the runthrough! 

3 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

The struggle is real!!  I am sure it will improve from this first run to how it looks in a few weeks! <3

A normal person would probably make a less taxing routine. Maybe? I don't know what I know about normal any more. :) I don't have more than one open gym/week between now and the performance so I hope that's enough time.

16 hours ago, sylph said:

A normal person would probably make a less taxing routine. Maybe? I don't know what I know about normal any more. :) I don't have more than one open gym/week between now and the performance so I hope that's enough time.

Could you add in a little extra invert/pull up/meathook/etc conditioning at your muggle gym? It’s not the same but it could still help a bit.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:36 PM, sylph said:

Went to open gym last night and finally got a complete run  through of my routine, beginning to end, with music. It was not pretty. It was exhausting. But I did it. Now I have a couple weeks to clean it up. It's not as dramatic as my last routine, but I think it'll be entertaining, engaging for the audience and (maybe) even a little funny. :) Presuming I can manage to emote while working at ~90% capacity. heh.

You will in performance zone :P seeing from your previous videos. Plus you have one more session + also rehearsal no? no stress! How many of you are performing?

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Could you add in a little extra invert/pull up/meathook/etc conditioning at your muggle gym? It’s not the same but it could still help a bit.

Possibly! I am prone to elbow tendonitis with too much grippy work, but carefully, I could probably work on some stuff from the pull up bar.

9 hours ago, @mu said:

You will in performance zone :P seeing from your previous videos. Plus you have one more session + also rehearsal no? no stress! How many of you are performing?

Two more open gym sessions, tech rehearsal and dress rehearsal. So, a little more time to nail things down, but not nearly as much prep work as I've done in the past. This one took a long time for me to figure out the choreography (largely because I didn't steal any sequences that we'd already worked on in class, so was starting from absolute scratch).

There are two lyra solo acts, a lyra duo, two of my vertical classmates are doing a silks/rope duo, me and one other woman doing silks solo acts, a guy doing static trap and a woman doing hula hoop. So 8 acts, 10 people.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2018 at 6:47 PM, sylph said:

There are two lyra solo acts, a lyra duo, two of my vertical classmates are doing a silks/rope duo, me and one other woman doing silks solo acts, a guy doing static trap and a woman doing hula hoop. So 8 acts, 10 people.

What a line up! Sounds like a great night coming up!

That reminds me of my duo partner, I miss her, I feel a bit nostalgic now, ha. I remember once... very fortunately it was during training... we were working on a move where she was coming from above and descending under me. She was wearing very slippery leggings that day, and I'm not sure what happened exactly but she started going down head first - slowly but surely, I caught her by her legs, but somehow I only got hold of her leggings.  And in very slow motion she hit the crash mat, her leggings still in my hands. She landed half-naked in her knickers, bum on top for all to see :blink::lol: It was an open training session with the usual crew, so it was fine, we just had a very good collective laugh, herself included (you get used to weird levels of intimacy :P ). But that picture is stuck in my mind for ever  :lol: I was just so shocked myself. It did not happen during performance, we opted for dungarees :D

I'm curious, how many are you per class? Sometimes I see  videos in the US and it looks like there is one apparatus per person, which is really cool. In Scotland, we usually would be 2 sometimes 3 per apparatus. 2 is ok, you take the time the rest. But 3 or more and the resting time was getting a bit too long sometimes...

41 minutes ago, @mu said:

That reminds me of my duo partner, I miss her, I feel a bit nostalgic now, ha. I remember once... very fortunately it was during training... we were working on a move where she was coming from above and descending under me. She was wearing very slippery leggings that day, and I'm not sure what happened exactly but she started going down head first - slowly but surely, I caught her by her legs, but somehow I only got hold of her leggings.  And in very slow motion she hit the crash mat, her leggings still in my hands. She landed half-naked in her knickers, bum on top for all to see :blink::lol: It was an open training session with the usual crew, so it was fine, we just had a very good collective laugh, herself included (you get used to weird levels of intimacy :P ). But that picture is stuck in my mind for ever  :lol: I was just so shocked myself. It did not happen during performance, we opted for dungarees :D

Hahaha that's brilliant! :D:D 

Dungarees were a good call. :D 

4 hours ago, @mu said:

I'm curious, how many are you per class? Sometimes I see  videos in the US and it looks like there is one apparatus per person, which is really cool. In Scotland, we usually would be 2 sometimes 3 per apparatus. 2 is ok, you take the time the rest. But 3 or more and the resting time was getting a bit too long sometimes...

I am not in same location as Sylph but also US. At my studio it is max of 8 people per class and we usually have up at minimum enough apparatus to have 2 per apparatus and if the class is smaller more like 1 per student. Often times they'll set up conditioning things you are supposed to be doing while you wait so that helps at least.

On 7/1/2018 at 1:06 PM, @mu said:

I caught her by her legs, but somehow I only got hold of her leggings.  And in very slow motion she hit the crash mat, her leggings still in my hands. She landed half-naked in her knickers, bum on top for all to see :blink::lol:

Oh my goodness, I'm just imagining this verrrrrrry slow slide into hilarity. Glad everyone had a sense of humor about it, because that's comedy gold, right there!

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2018 at 3:36 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Definitely don't overdo it before the show, no point in hurting yourself. And there's still time left. :) 

Cautious attempts on Saturday resulted in elbow tweaks for a couple days afterward, :(

On 1/7/2018 at 1:06 PM, @mu said:

What a line up! Sounds like a great night coming up!

That is hilarious. ;)

On 1/7/2018 at 5:42 PM, dancezwithkittehz said:

I am not in same location as Sylph but also US. At my studio it is max of 8 people per class and we usually have up at minimum enough apparatus to have 2 per apparatus and if the class is smaller more like 1 per student. Often times they'll set up conditioning things you are supposed to be doing while you wait so that helps at least.

Mine is similar to this. My vertical class is 4-7 students, depending on who shows up on any given day and we have 4 rigging points (1 rope, 3 silks) active during class.

Muggle workout on Saturday. Full body miscellany. Relatively okay, but at least I did something.

Last night, we got a bit (~3 inches) of snow and today it was in the mid/upper 30s, so I got up this morning and shoveled the driveway (1.25 hrs) before work. Then open gym after work. And I even managed two run throughs of my routine, which makes me feel a LOT better. So, lots of work done today and I'm all comfortably showered and fed and snuggled on the couch with a couple cats. :)

Vertical class on Wednesday. Tomorrow will be a rest day. Between shoveling and open gym, my hands and wrists are feeling a bit...overworked.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sylph said:

Cautious attempts on Saturday resulted in elbow tweaks for a couple days afterward, :(

Yeah better not then. At least you got some good run throughs, that's a lot more important!

Are you still using your putty for your hands?

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Are you still using your putty for your hands?

Yep! It sits in the cabinet right above my desk at work. When my fingers are feeling particularly stiff, I pull it out and do a little work with it for a few days. It's not the daily thing it used to be, but also it doesn't need to be--my hands and fingers are a lot stronger these days.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sylph said:

Yep! It sits in the cabinet right above my desk at work. When my fingers are feeling particularly stiff, I pull it out and do a little work with it for a few days. It's not the daily thing it used to be, but also it doesn't need to be--my hands and fingers are a lot stronger these days.

Nice!

14 hours ago, sylph said:

Mine is similar to this. My vertical class is 4-7 students, depending on who shows up on any given day and we have 4 rigging points (1 rope, 3 silks) active during class.

Ah yes that's good. For us, it was more like 8 to 10 for 4 kits. Depending on the class, 2 trapezes (or a hoop) + 2 silks, or 4 silks/ropes. And when a class had mixed levels, time on apparatus was not always balanced. But still it was good overall, it was great to have this in town. Now I hear things have expanded a lot, with new spaces open, new teachers. It's really growing.

2 hours ago, raptron said:

@@mu Omg @ losing one's pants at practice, hahaha.

It was surrealist, really. Ok ripped t-shirts were not that uncommon for instance, it happens, but it's not so visual. She came out of her leggings like a fish, it was just omg what just happened :lol:

What strength of theraputty do you use btw? Now that I think about I figure I could actually really do with some. Keeping it at work seems like an excellent idea too!

Okay, I have finally had a chance to catch up and watch your vids, and I LOVE how deliberate you are with your movements. That (and pointed toes) is probably the biggest thing I need to work on, so this was inspirational in the sense of "I *wish* I could be that steady and deliberate. She is like the anti-me. But I can't even work on deliberate until I'm in the air again, so I guess that would be the first step..."

How high are your silks? I can't really get perspective.

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have never heard of this magical substance. Is it something for softening callouses?

No it's for prehab/rehab. I've never tried it myself but it seems like more fun than most fingers/hand strengthening  tools. :) For callouses you could use something like climbOn, a lot of climbers like it because it makes the callous more pliable without softening it to uselessness. 

55 minutes ago, millhavenslottie said:

I *wish* I could be that steady and deliberate. She is like the anti-me

You and me both. ;) 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2018 at 8:56 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Nice!

On 1/9/2018 at 9:59 AM, raptron said:

Glad you are feeling more confident after another open gym session. :)

I've gone from OMGWTF panic to only feeling slightly unsure that I'll be able to pull it off--and have about three weeks to work on that bit, so yay?

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

What strength of theraputty do you use btw? Now that I think about I figure I could actually really do with some. Keeping it at work seems like an excellent idea too!

Mine is TheraFlex brand and is 'medium' which doesn't mean much, but of the 6 versions they have, there are two softer and three firmer than this one. I could probably go up one or two notches if I really wanted it as a hand workout, rather than a gentle prehab/rehab thing.

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have never heard of this magical substance. Is it something for softening callouses?

As Hatter said, it's a Silly Putty-like substance used for hand/finger strengthening or rehab. If you're newly into grippy things (climbing, circus, whatever) it can help with strengthening hand and finger tendons. I use it know to get gentle resistance for some ROM exercises when I've been particularly mean to my grip. (Circus, weight lifting, console gaming and knitting are all pretty hand-intensive and are my main hobbies).

8 hours ago, millhavenslottie said:

Okay, I have finally had a chance to catch up and watch your vids, and I LOVE how deliberate you are with your movements. That (and pointed toes) is probably the biggest thing I need to work on, so this was inspirational in the sense of "I *wish* I could be that steady and deliberate. She is like the anti-me. But I can't even work on deliberate until I'm in the air again, so I guess that would be the first step..."

How high are your silks? I can't really get perspective.

Aww, thank you! It took some good solid focus on not rushing and actively pointing my toes/feet/legs in order to get to this point (and I'm still pretty sloppy if I don't think about it). I was never a dancer-y type so didn't have any sense of line or grace when I first started. My style is still more about athleticism and power than it is about beauty and swoopy lines, but it does look nice when I try. :)

Those vids were at the old place, which I never really asked how high the ceilings were, but maybe 20 feet? New studio is taller, so probably closer to 25-30? (I'm terrible at estimating distance/height, though so these could be way off)

• Like 2