• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sylph

sylph preps for performance, part II

1 hour ago, sylph said:

Mine is TheraFlex brand and is 'medium' which doesn't mean much, but of the 6 versions they have, there are two softer and three firmer than this one. I could probably go up one or two notches if I really wanted it as a hand workout, rather than a gentle prehab/rehab thing.

Cheers! That sounds like the perfect level. I don't want another hand workout either, I just want something to play with when my hands feel stiff. But it's a bit hard to tell what level is suitable when the baseline level is not set for healthy hands.

1 hour ago, sylph said:

It took some good solid focus on not rushing and actively pointing my toes/feet/legs in order to get to this point (and I'm still pretty sloppy if I don't think about it).

It also helps to be beastly strong like you. :) From an endurance and how much you can focus on lines perspective.

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

It also helps to be beastly strong like you. :) From an endurance and how much you can focus on lines perspective.

Strength definitely helps. If it doesn't come naturally, focusing on clean lines and pointed toes is easier when you aren't also working at 90% in order to prevent plummeting to the ground.

• Like 1

Misc work things:

New boss has been on the job for ~1 week. Seems like a good, reasonable person so far with a sense of self-deprecating humor. I can work with this.

A very dear coworker is abruptly leaving us. Her parents are elderly, starting to decline in health and several hours away. She's taken a new job (that she doesn't really want) in order to be close to them to provide support and also for her 3 year old daughter to make some good memories with her parents. I am gutted. She is amazing and has been instrumental in the growth of this department. She makes the rest of us better professionals just by being here. I am going to miss her a lot. :(

Happier things:

Class last night was great! I've been doing open gym stuff for the past few weeks, but class itself has been on hiatus since mid-December. So happy to get back to some structured work and learning new things! Did some conditioning things, reviewed a couple old skills, then started learning the beginning of a new sequence on the silks.

Skin the cat -> straddle -> basic climb  -> ankle hang -> arabesque -> clothesline

Super fun! I definitely needed the distraction.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear that you're coworker is leaving. :( Small consolation, but I'm glad to hear your new boss isn't an ass hat at least. :) 

Yay for class!

17 hours ago, sylph said:

If it doesn't come naturally, focusing on clean lines and pointed toes is easier when you aren't also working at 90% in order to prevent plummeting to the ground.

I should probably get this tattooed somewhere.

On 1/11/2018 at 8:17 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Sorry to hear that you're coworker is leaving. :( Small consolation, but I'm glad to hear your new boss isn't an ass hat at least. :) 

Yay for class!

Oh, if she was leaving and he was an asshat, I'd probably be looking for a job myself. I've decided to knit her something as a going away gift and to let her know how much I've valued her as a co-worker. 

21 hours ago, raptron said:

Yeah, sounds like a vital person to lose though she is definitely doing it for great reasons. 

Classss! Nice. 

Yeah, trying to balance work and life and family and happiness and personal satisfaction is a hard thing, to be sure.

7 hours ago, millhavenslottie said:

I should probably get this tattooed somewhere.

On the days when I know I just can't with the straight arms/straight legs, I purposefully choose the next step back and focus on making the easier thing look just as pretty and intentional as I want the harder thing to look. It at least backs the effort down a bit in order to focus on the presentation of the thing, rather than just hurling myself through the approximate motions.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's really sweet of you!

5 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Oh that's a really pretty design. I'm sure she'll love it!

Thanks! Bonus is that it's a fun pattern to knit.

hopefully I get it done in time!

Yay, it sounds like you’re in the right part of the progression from “omg I can’t do this” to “I did it but it was way too hard” to “maybe I will do it” to “I did it!” :D

On 1/11/2018 at 5:27 AM, sylph said:

My aerial teacher tonight called me a 'buff tiny lady' or something like that. I was highly entertained.

:love-struck: But you are!

19 hours ago, sylph said:

I've decided to knit her something as a going away gift and to let her know how much I've valued her as a co-worker. 

Cute! What colour are you going for? Very thoughtful gift.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:26 PM, sylph said:

Skin the cat -> straddle -> basic climb  -> ankle hang -> arabesque -> clothesline

Transitions should also be interesting!

On 1/12/2018 at 7:25 PM, tei_ said:

Yay, it sounds like you’re in the right part of the progression from “omg I can’t do this” to “I did it but it was way too hard” to “maybe I will do it” to “I did it!” :D

For sure! Tonight's open gym was super productive--I got 2-3 solid run throughs of the entire thing plus some half runs/transition practice. Not too shabby for something that's supposed to be a conditioning routine! :D

On 1/13/2018 at 3:57 AM, @mu said:

:love-struck: But you are!

Cute! What colour are you going for? Very thoughtful gift.

Transitions should also be interesting!

Hah! I suppose? I guess I'm just happy when other people notice. :)

I have a really nice bamboo/silk yarn in a lovely grey that I'm working it in. That way, it'll match everything

Yeah, it's a really fun sequence. Trying to figure out a smooth/interesting way to get from one thing to the next should be fun.

• Like 2

On 12.1.2018 at 2:36 PM, sylph said:

On the days when I know I just can't with the straight arms/straight legs, I purposefully choose the next step back and focus on making the easier thing look just as pretty and intentional as I want the harder thing to look. It at least backs the effort down a bit in order to focus on the presentation of the thing, rather than just hurling myself through the approximate motions.

so wise! Also explains your beautiful control and lines despite lack of dancing background.

It's always so tempting to go for the new shiny feat instead of the beauty but in the end the beauty makes it feel and look so much better...

sounds like your preparations are going really well, congrats! :triumphant:

3 hours ago, sylph said:

Tech rehearsal tomorrow

Actual class on Wednesday

Dress rehearsal on Friday

Show on Saturday

EEEEEEE!!

Yeees go go go!!
What did you decide for your costume in the end?

Have a good prep and enjoy the night!

On 1/21/2018 at 10:18 PM, @mu said:

Yeees go go go!!
What did you decide for your costume in the end?

Have a good prep and enjoy the night!

On 1/21/2018 at 10:51 PM, tei_ said:

so excitinggggggg!

On 1/21/2018 at 10:58 PM, Cataleya said:

Yes details about costume please

On 1/22/2018 at 12:53 AM, Mad Hatter said:

SQUEEEE!

On 1/22/2018 at 11:11 AM, raptron said:

YAYAYAYAY! FINAL COUNTDOWN. :D 

On 1/22/2018 at 1:18 PM, dancezwithkittehz said:

SO CLOSEEEEE! DO THE THING! <3

Thanks everyone! Tech went really well.  Even got some laughs from my fellow performers, so I am hopeful for this Saturday. :)

As for costume, since the concept of my act is essentially 'sylph goes to open gym and does some conditioning' I'm wearing a slightly exaggerated version of what I'd wear to open gym--my favorite leo, pink sportsbra (which shows the back since my leo is a halter), pink booty shorts, pink legwarmers. Over all of that is a ratty longsleeved T that I use during warmups and which I'll take off after the 'warm up' portion of my routine. Should be fun!

• Like 4