• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kylie

Back to good health

I've been a member here for a couple of years and have completed challenges in the past. I haven't been here much recently as I've been out having a lot of fun backpacking. However, I now need some help so I'm back!

I had hip surgery just over 2 months ago. It went really well but being at home and unable to do much during recovery I ate too much and got out of the habit of exercising. Now seems a good time to get back into good habits.

My life goal right now is to get fit ready for another summer of backpacking, I want to be able to hike further and faster than I could this year. My goals for this challenge are general fitness improvement and weight loss and to achieve that, I'll be doing things that have worked well for me in the past but that I easily forget to do.

1. Eat at least 6 portions of fruit and vegetables per day (for this goal I count a portion as 80g). 

2. Drink at least 2l of water per day.

3. Exercise at least 3x per week. At this point in my recovery from surgery, I can start doing more exercise but I don't want to overdo anything. This will likely be a combination of swimming, yoga, starting jogging again, and walking if nothing else works out.

I have been thinking about adding a goal to avoid snacking and desserts but I can't figure the right goal that isn't too restrictive. It's certainly something I intend to be aware of throughout this challenge, but not something I think I'm going to measure right now.

• Like 2

I like your specific measurements! About snacking/desserts - have you tried tracking (without changing) everything you eat for a couple weeks? I tried tracking my eating habits once and was surprised how much stuff sneaked in there in little ways, even when I thought I was doing pretty well. :S 

I hope you'll find exercise that will make you feel energized but not painful. You're wise to take it slow and cautious after surgery. 

28 minutes ago, Perqui said:

I like your specific measurements! About snacking/desserts - have you tried tracking (without changing) everything you eat for a couple weeks? I tried tracking my eating habits once and was surprised how much stuff sneaked in there in little ways, even when I thought I was doing pretty well. :S 

I've tracked in the past and I pretty much know where I'm going wrong but I struggle to come up with a consistently achievable measurable goal. Cutting out unhealthy food completely doesn't work for me, I do a lot better if I allow myself some occasionally. Measuring 'some' and 'occasionally' are the parts I have trouble with. I'm hoping that just by being mindful of this, and concentrating on eating more healthy food I'll see a positive change. I've struggled with a tendency to binge in the past and I don't want to start that again.

I feel ya, I tend to pig out when I come home from work and want to crash! I think I'm going to try portioning out my meals ahead of time, especially suppers. Maybe that would work for you, too? Or set out your allowable snacks for the day and once they're gone, that's it? I find if I brush my teeth immediately after eating, I know I won't eat any more because for some silly reason, my brain thinks it's a lot of work to brush and floss my teeth and I don't want to do it twice. :smile-new: Some people say that eating slowly and mindfully helps keep portions down. ?? And of course, some foods (sugar, salt, carbs) make you crave more so it's easier to eat more of them. If you come up with a method that works, I'd love to hear it so I can try it, too! 

I struggle with the binging too. But that could be an easy first step: having some chocolate or a small bowl of chips is ok. Eating the full bar or the bag of chips, or both, probably is binging. I think it at least makes the distinction between choosing to eat something sweet / unhealthy and giving in to cravings you know are bad in the long run. No binging would be a very worthy goal.

Some of your other goals might already have an impact too. E.g. plan your fruit snack on high risk 'binge moments'. For me it's 4PM and in the evenings after work. I have healthier options ready so I don't overeat. And any day with conscious exercise results in less unhealthy snacks too. So just getting back into that habbit might be a great first step. I'm sure it will fall into place when the time is right.

Good luck with the challenge!

15 hours ago, Perqui said:

I find if I brush my teeth immediately after eating, I know I won't eat any more because for some silly reason, my brain thinks it's a lot of work to brush and floss my teeth and I don't want to do it twice. :smile-new: 

I've heard of this before, and I think it would really work. I shall try adding it to my evening routine, as I find that after dinner is a problem time for me.

8 hours ago, Karma Krishok said:

I struggle with the binging too. But that could be an easy first step: having some chocolate or a small bowl of chips is ok. Eating the full bar or the bag of chips, or both, probably is binging. I think it at least makes the distinction between choosing to eat something sweet / unhealthy and giving in to cravings you know are bad in the long run. No binging would be a very worthy goal.

I've not had a problem with binging for the past year or so, mostly because I've allowed myself to eat whatever I want and whilst occasionally I've eaten more than is probably ideal, it never felt like a binge. I'm just a bit worried that to lose some weight I really need to restrict and that might lead to problems. I'm hoping that just being aware of the problem will be enough, and if it isn't, I can cross that bridge when I come to it.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2018 at 9:02 AM, kylie said:

I've tracked in the past and I pretty much know where I'm going wrong but I struggle to come up with a consistently achievable measurable goal. Cutting out unhealthy food completely doesn't work for me, I do a lot better if I allow myself some occasionally. Measuring 'some' and 'occasionally' are the parts I have trouble with. I'm hoping that just by being mindful of this, and concentrating on eating more healthy food I'll see a positive change. I've struggled with a tendency to binge in the past and I don't want to start that again.

I definitely know that feeling! If I try to forbid sweets altogether I'll never get anywhere, so I've been thinkingabout 'some' and 'occasionally' too! So currently my idea is to only have chocolate after dinner, when I should be full up of proper food from the day and hopefully have less appetite. Also, I recommend keeping measurable things to eat (like, a slice of cake could be any size you cut it, but a ferrero rocher or a TimTam is a known quantity, so it's easier to keep track). Something else I do is never eat in the kitchen; take that dessert into the living room, get comfy, and then eat it. This relies on sloth overcoming greed: getting so comfortable that getting up to get more feels like too much of a chore ;)

15 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Something else I do is never eat in the kitchen; take that dessert into the living room, get comfy, and then eat it. This relies on sloth overcoming greed: getting so comfortable that getting up to get more feels like too much of a chore ;)

This is a great idea. Sloth will overcome greed for sure! 

On 12/31/2017 at 3:29 PM, kylie said:

I've been a member here for a couple of years and have completed challenges in the past.

You're certainly able and welcome to join the level 1's for this challenge, but I would encourage you to place your challenge in the guild that more accurately fits your goals, since you already know how the challenge structure and system works. @T2sarahconnor has also undergone some recent surgery and may be able to help with some pointers :) 

Just stopping by to say Hi and welcome back to the Rebellion!

i had both hips replaced last year ( one in Feb and one in July).  Water aerobics and swimming were wonderful for recovery and strengthening while letting me get some flexibility.  I too put on some weight and need to dial back on the portion size. I will follow your progress and look forward to see your results!  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RES said:

You're certainly able and welcome to join the level 1's for this challenge, but I would encourage you to place your challenge in the guild that more accurately fits your goals, since you already know how the challenge structure and system works. @T2sarahconnor has also undergone some recent surgery and may be able to help with some pointers :) 

Thanks for stopping by. I don't really feel like I belong in any particular guild at the moment and feel a lot like a beginner, which is why I started here again. I'll have a look around though, and see if I feel I would fit better elsewhere.

14 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Just stopping by to say Hi and welcome back to the Rebellion!

i had both hips replaced last year ( one in Feb and one in July).  Water aerobics and swimming were wonderful for recovery and strengthening while letting me get some flexibility.  I too put on some weight and need to dial back on the portion size. I will follow your progress and look forward to see your results!  

Mine wasn't a hip replacement but a hip arthroscopy, I'm not sure how the recover differs. I started swimming as soon as I was allowed and have been really enjoying it so I intend to continue with that. I hope that starting yoga will help me recover full range of motion too. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, kylie said:

Thanks for stopping by. I don't really feel like I belong in any particular guild at the moment and feel a lot like a beginner, which is why I started here again. I'll have a look around though, and see if I feel I would fit better elsewhere.

I like that you're here, because you will get a lot of attention and encouragement. :) it's cool!

for the snacking goal - I've found that limiting my snacks to certain TYPES of food has been helpful in the past. like, healthy ones, obvs. preportioned servings of nuts, healthy yogurts, very specific granola bars with lots of extra protein, etc. your goal of increasing fruits and veg fit neatly into this scheme too!

• Like 2

I think I'm calling this week zero and starting the challenge for real next week. I was sick at the start of the week and never managed to go food shopping until Friday so had very little fruit and veg in the house after Christmas. I've exercised plenty this weekend with gardening and a long walk but did nothing all week. I did concentrate on trying to drink more water throughout the week but I didn't manage to measure it. I've also been mindful of snacking and unhealthy eating and I think that is actually working out quite well so far.

Now I've got a house full of fruit and vegetables, a plan for measuring water and my exercise mostly scheduled for the week. So bring on week one!

• Like 1

Hey @kylie! I'm a little late following, but I love your goals and I'm so excited that you're recovering from your hip surgery! How exciting!  :) 

Way to go staying mindful even when you were sick - that's awesome! Here's to a healthier Week "One" for you!  :D 

On 21/01/2018 at 5:04 AM, SkyGirl said:

Hey @kylie! How are things? How are you feeling this week?

Thanks for asking! It's going pretty well. We've had internet issues which is why I haven't posted anything recently. It's sorted now so I'll just summarise the first 2 weeks.

Goal 1: At least 6 portions of fruit and veg per day - I've managed this 12 days out of 14. My average over the 14 days is still a little over 6 though so that's good. I find this quite easy during the week but trickier at the weekends. We've been busy with DIY and often don't stop until we're starving at which point I'm too hungry to cook properly. A bit more planning for those days would fix this.

Goal 2: Drink at least 2l of water per day - I've managed 11 days out of 14. I actually find this quite hard, I just don't feel like I need that much water unless I'm doing a decent amount of exercise. I can't say I've noticed any benefits from making myself drink more, except from having to get up from my desk more often! I'll keep trying for the rest of this challenge though.

Goal 3: Exercise 3 times per week - 6(ish) times total so far. 2 gym sessions, 2 runs, 1 yoga class and 1 walk. The walk was not even an hour so I'm not sure it counts. There would have been more gym / run sessions if 2 full weekends hadn't disappeared into DIY / demolition. That felt like a pretty good workout itself so I'm not bothered about not quite hitting the goal.

Overall I'm happy so far. I technically haven't hit any of my goals but I'm feeling more positive about my health and excited to exercise. I'm also already starting to have ideas about my next challenge!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, kylie said:

Goal 2: Drink at least 2l of water per day - I've managed 11 days out of 14. I actually find this quite hard, I just don't feel like I need that much water unless I'm doing a decent amount of exercise. I can't say I've noticed any benefits from making myself drink more, except from having to get up from my desk more often! I'll keep trying for the rest of this challenge though.

I'm doing the same thing and I know what you mean. But after a few weeks of consistently having at least 2L a day, I think my body's gotten accustomed to it so that if I go a long time without having any I start to feel a bit crook. But probably that's also because we're having a heat wave where I am so it's easy to get dehydrated quickly.

Glad you're happy with your progress so far! :)

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 4:38 AM, kylie said:

Thanks for asking! It's going pretty well. We've had internet issues which is why I haven't posted anything recently. It's sorted now so I'll just summarise the first 2 weeks.

And I've had busy-with-school issues, and that's why I somehow missed your reply!!  :P  It sounds like you're doing a great job! Good for you!!

How's the water part of your challenge? I'm curious to see whether you've noticed any benefits from drinking 2L a day for a longer period of time ... have you noticed any changes since your last post?

• Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 5:31 AM, SkyGirl said:

How's the water part of your challenge? I'm curious to see whether you've noticed any benefits from drinking 2L a day for a longer period of time ... have you noticed any changes since your last post?

To be honest, I'm feeling the same. It still feels hard to do and I haven't noticed any benefits. I can only think that I must be well enough hydrated on less than 2l. I think that's possible, I spend my day sat at a desk and it's a reasonable temperature so I'm not sweating. It feels a lot easier to drink more if I'm doing exercise as I obviously do need it. I don't think it's something I'll continue to concentrate on after this challenge but it's reassuring to know that the amount I naturally drink seems to be enough.

A slightly late week 3 summary.

Goal 1: At least 6 portions of fruit and veg per day - I've managed 5 days out of 7. My average over the 7 days is still a little over 6 though. As before this was easy during the week and harder on the weekends. Our weekends tend to be quite spontaneous and I like that but it makes sticking to goals a little harder.

Goal 2: Drink at least 2l of water per day - again I managed 5 days out of 7. And again it's easier on work days - it's not that I need more water on those days but if my water bottle is sat on my desk I'm more likely to make myself drink it. If I'm busy doing things on weekends I'm less likely to go and get a drink if I don't really want one. It also occurred to me that eating more fruit and veg is probably making this goal harder as I'm already getting extra water there.

Goal 3: Exercise 3 times per week - 4 times this week. 1 gym session, 1 run, 1 yoga class and a long bike ride. I cycled for about 4.5 hours having not been on a bike for a few years! I didn't really move a lot the next day though, I was pretty exhausted and my knee was sore. I recovered quickly though so it's all good.

Overall, the exercise goal has been easy and enjoyable. The water goal has been hard and I've not seen any results to make it feel worth the effort. I'll stick with it for the final week but that's it. The vegetable goal is tricky sometimes but even on the days I haven't hit the goal I've usually eaten more than I would if it hadn't been for it so it's definitely worthwhile.

• Like 2

Week 4 continued very similarly to the previous weeks.

Goal 1: At least 6 portions of fruit and veg per day - I managed 6 days out of 7. My fail day was a proper fail though, I think I only ate 2 portions!

Goal 2: Drink at least 2l of water per day - I managed 6 days out of 7. I'm really glad I'm done with this goal.

Goal 3: Exercise 3 times per week - 5 times this week. 1 gym session, 2 runs and 2 yoga classes. 

The fruit and veg goal was a good one, I didn't always make it but it was definitely a good focus. The water goal didn't work for me this time. The exercise goal was great and I've got into a habit of thinking about doing something each day rather than having to force myself occasionally. Overall it feels like a successful challenge and I've learnt more about what suits me.

• Like 1