Get Off My Lawn: Things You’ve Done that Make You Feel Old

I have a favorite grocery store.

I get excited knowing I'm getting close to being able to pay off my auto loan.

I look at the sugar content and then the fiber content of every cereal box I browse in the grocery aisle.

"Good Lord" and "Goodness Gracious" are slowly becoming part of my vocabulary. The unsavory curse words are still there every now and then. 

Chaperoned a high-school music trip to Williamsburg/Busch Gardens a couple of weekends ago. Rode one roller coaster. Spent the rest of the 10 hours with my husband - walking slowly, sitting a lot to ease my aching joints, riding the tram that goes over the park, riding the train that goes around the park, drinking coffee at an outdoor spot, watching the show in Das Festhaus, then staying there until time to leave because it was SO FREAKING COLD.

I realized: I am my parents. I am my parents when I remember them doing the above things while we youngsters ran around like crazy and went on every insane ride.

Sigh.

• Like 2

First time ever feeling old: at brothers house for a party, nephew ran up and stated "uncle adam, can you move the commercial, its in my way"...I was confused, asked brother what he meant, he wanted me to fast forward through the commercial cause they'd recorded the show on their box...I immediately said "boy when I was your......." and went to get a beer crying (was in late 20s)

Other sundry times: walking around grocery store realizing I'm humming the store music (every damn time)

Find a few gray hairs in in beard. 

Second and thirding all the others including: self imposed bed-times, hangovers not worth the drinking, starting to give a shit about my weight...and I have a cardiologist (still 34, which I KNOW isn't OLD, but damn)

• Like 3

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

My younger son is graduating high school in a few weeks. He will be attending a college nearby, with my older son. (Yay, good public universities and ZERO college debt!)

I can't wait to get off the school email lists. I keep going to events and thinking: "Yay, last high school play ... last high school concert ... only one more parent assembly" and dreaming about what I will do when they finally both leave the house (2 years for older son, cross fingers). 

Mentally designing a "knitting room" in my older son's bedroom. Now THAT is old!

• Like 4

Yesterday, I couldn't find my phone. I asked someone to call it, hoping it would ring somewhere I could hear it. Turns out it was in the cargo pocket of my pants. Those involved IRL are now sworn to secrecy....

• Like 2

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I bought tickets for the early comedy show, not the late one.

I had to explain my "Glengarry, Glen Ross "Coffee is for closers" reference.

I had to write about tanning stickers and I did more research than I did when I write about laser therapy.

The list goes on.

• Like 2

If possible, be kind. It is always possible.

Cutera

New one from the other day, was at a school (I work in schools)...

Hollered at kids to stop running in the hall....

...damn

• Like 1

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

About 16 years ago I went on vacation with my in-laws.  I was late getting out, so I met everyone at the beach.  When I arrive there I saw a beautiful young lady in a black bikini, who turned around and said "Hi Uncle Mark!"  It was my wife's niece, who was 17 at the time.  Not only felt old, felt like a dirty old man.

I met a bartender (hence someone old enough to drink) once who didn't understand my Blazing Saddles reference.  The same bartender had no idea who Dom DeLouise was.

I was once asked if Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings, and if Julian Lennon's father was a musician too.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Mark D said:

I was once asked if Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings, and if Julian Lennon's father was a musician too.

WOW!?!?   That doesn't speak to our age, it speaks to the ignorance of the kids.....  oops... nope, it's our age... :(

• Like 1

Level: 2 Celt Adventurer

Str: 3 Dex: 2 Sta: 2 Con: 4.25 Wis: 4.75 Cha: 4

Challenges: 1 / 2

I quoted Tolkien to an 8th grade class and got one, and only one "pity chortle."  I was then asked (same day) to put on a YouTube video of the Harlem Shake and thought, "What is this drivel? ... When did I start using the word drivel?"

Bonus points if you can guess the Tolkien quote.

• Like 1

I had a 24yo man ask me if his plaid flannel shirt was "too grunge looking."  I said "Nah, you're not wearing Doc's.  You're fine."  I had to explain   what Doc's are.  I guess I really am 40+.    And I do have a favorite grocery store!

• Like 5

daily dare   46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1

The highlight of my week last week was my husband getting a non-scary list of things to do from the dentist after not going for a decade. That was really the highlight. Because I hope the word "crown" never enters my house. (Now I should probably do something about the fact that I probably haven't been since 2006.)

• Like 1

Previous Challenge: DaemonCorax starts 8 weeks of stronglifts

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)
When in doubt, pick up heavy things.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, ilsudur said:

I quoted Tolkien to an 8th grade class and got one, and only one "pity chortle."  I was then asked (same day) to put on a YouTube video of the Harlem Shake and thought, "What is this drivel? ... When did I start using the word drivel?"

Bonus points if you can guess the Tolkien quote.

this makes me so sad

my guess:

you_shall_not_pass.jpg?maxWidth=500

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Listening to pop music with my daughters and thinking, "What the hell are they talking about?"

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

When I was 18 (back in 2000) my 13-year-old sister was looking through a CD catalog and asked me who Joey MacIntyre was. I just figured she didn't remember his name, so I said, "He's the youngest member of New Kids on the Block." She still had no idea what I was talking about.

Taylara Ravynthall of the Mistwalker Clan

Level 0 Stats: STR 0  CON 0  DEX 0  INT 0  WIS 0  CHA 0

I literally told someone to get out of my yard this week. :hopelessness:

I live in a community with overnight rentals, they were playing in my front yard/creek. I (politely) advised them where the common area is (adjacent to my property) and told them I didn't want to be liable for any accidents on my property.

My sister calls me Mr. Mertle (The Sandlot)

• Like 1

1. [about 15 years ago] Monday morning and I was one of several women in the Ladies' room before work started. There was general chatter and gossip around the sinks when someone said, "I guess Eileen is already having a bad day; her rabbit died."

"Eileen is pregnant?!" 

"No....her rabbit died."

"So she's pregnant."

"No, her...wait, what?"

Which led to the 30-somethings explaining the Rabbit Test to the 20-somethings.

Me: "So now you know the meaning behind that Aerosmith line, 'can't catch me 'cause the rabbit done died.'"

20-something: "What's an...ae-ro-smith?"

Me: "Don't make me hurt you."

(No, she really did know who Aerosmith was.)

2. [a few years ago] Doing group introductions on the first day of training for a group of new hires, and realizing that I was old enough to be the mother of the youngest in the group (he was 23) - even if I'd had kids at a normal age! I didn't even have the consolation of "old enough but only if it were a teenage mistake."

• Like 1

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

7 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

1. [about 15 years ago] Monday morning and I was one of several women in the Ladies' room before work started. There was general chatter and gossip around the sinks when someone said, "I guess Eileen is already having a bad day; her rabbit died."

"Eileen is pregnant?!" 

"No....her rabbit died."

"So she's pregnant."

"No, her...wait, what?"

Which led to the 30-somethings explaining the Rabbit Test to the 20-somethings.

Me: "So now you know the meaning behind that Aerosmith line, 'can't catch me 'cause the rabbit done died.'"

20-something: "What's an...ae-ro-smith?"

Me: "Don't make me hurt you."

(No, she really did know who Aerosmith was.)

I'm 37 and I don't know about the Rabbit Test

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

It’s a pregnancy test. They’d inject a rabbit with a woman’s urine. If the rabbit’s ovaries changed the amount (type?) of hormone she secreted it meant the woman was pregnant. I think it was in use through the 70’s. “The rabbit died” meant pregnant. Fun fact, all the rabbits died because they killed them to examine the ovaries.

• Thanks 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log