Get Off My Lawn: Things You’ve Done that Make You Feel Old

https://media.giphy.com/media/11uV3l0wNmMIr6/giphy.gif

I was in the grocery store today and wanted to buy cans of tuna to make Nom Nom Paleo’s Spicy Tuna Cakes. I haven’t bought canned tuna in a while, and when I saw the price I immediately thought “when did cans of tuna get so expensive? These should be like 80 cents each max. Back in my day...”

Then I realized I was officially old. 31 was my old year.

What have you done, said, or thought that let you know you were no longer one of the hip young kids anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 2
The day I tried explaining something using M*A*S*H as a reference and the person to whom I was speaking had no idea what I was talking about.

A few years ago I was teaching 9th grade English and therefore teaching Romeo and Juliet. I would show clips from the “new” version (with YOUNG Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes). I had to stop calling it the “new version” when the kids pointed out that it was older than they were... ugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

In the words of Nick Miller, "I feel like I'm aging into my personality." In addition to general curmudgeonly-ness:

• Last time I saw midnight on NYE, there was a nap involved.
  • Own a button-up cardigan (shut up, it's warm).
  • Explained to someone just out of high-school what a corded phone was. 
  • Have 4 pairs of reading glasses stashed in strategic locations
  • About four years ago, yelled at someone on a four-wheeler to "Get off my lawn!"
  • Told someone I wasn't mad at them, I was just disappointed.

Also, all of my joints click. Randomly. And loudly.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Teaching is the act of constantly being reminded how old you are.

I made a “Princess Bride” reference in class today and not one single student got it. When I said it was from “The Princess Bride”, one kid responded that he didn’t really watch old movies. Same thing happened with “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” the other day.

Come on kids, these movies are still cool.

• Like 4

There have been lots of warning signs honestly.

Just recently I clicked some stupid clickbait article about celebrities and thought, "I have no idea who these children are."

In fact yesterday I was walking to pick up my daughter from school and I looked down. I see sensible memory foam shoes, light denim jeans, a khaki jacket, an umbrella (just in case), a sudoku book, and reading glasses. I'm not just old. I'm clearly an geriatric trapped inside a middle aged body.

1bvlfh.jpg

• Like 5

Start Weight:  226.5   |   Goal Weight:  180   |   Current Weight:  220

Shy Takes A Second

Walk To Mordor And Back Again 2018

Note to self.. check out Darebee!! Other cool stuff to check out, Zombies! Run!

Every summer I hire and train teenagers to be lifeguards where I work.

They make sure I know I'm old. My favorite comment " No way! You're not really THAT old are you?" (I was 31 at the time)

I used to substitute teach. I've met former students' children.

• Like 2
On 12/31/2017 at 6:30 PM, Hypotheticalfox said:

A few years ago I was teaching 9th grade English and therefore teaching Romeo and Juliet. I would show clips from the “new” version (with YOUNG Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes). I had to stop calling it the “new version” when the kids pointed out that it was older than they were... ugh.

My personal favorite version just because it seems so absurd. 90's culture meet the King's English. Bwahaha!

• Like 2

Live this life and enjoy it.

I teach part-time at a college near me.  Most of the students are straight out of high school.  I reference bands, TV shows, cartoons, and movies in my assignments.  Sometimes they get the references and smile or laugh.  Other times, crickets.  

I also realized that my wallet is about the same age as most of the kidlets I teach.  

• Like 2