Get Off My Lawn: Things You’ve Done that Make You Feel Old

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm 37 and I don't know about the Rabbit Test

That doesn't surprise me; at the time this took place, you would have been one of the 20-somethings getting it explained (assuming you would've been hanging around in the ladies' room).

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

20 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It’s a pregnancy test. They’d inject a rabbit with a woman’s urine. If the rabbit’s ovaries changed the amount (type?) of hormone she secreted it meant the woman was pregnant. I think it was in use through the 70’s. “The rabbit died” meant pregnant. Fun fact, all the rabbits died because they killed them to examine the ovaries.

Never knew this before. 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I knew the phrase and meaning from TV, but I didn’t find out where it came from until I had an endocrinology class.

I'd heard I before too, but didn't know where it came from. I assumed it was because rabbits are so prolific, and so it was some sort of joke on that

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

6 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

That doesn't surprise me; at the time this took place, you would have been one of the 20-somethings getting it explained (assuming you would've been hanging around in the ladies' room).

I would have at least gotten the Aerosmith Reference.

• Haha 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Sitting in car on a road trip with my sister, her wife, and my nephew.

Nephew:  "Mom, can I play with the iPad some more?"

Sister-in-Law:  "No, not right now.  You've already played with it for 30 minutes."
Nephew:  *nearly in tears* "But mom!  I'm so bored!"
Me:  "Hey it's okay.  When I was your age I didn't have any electronics on car rides... Well, that's not true.  I did have a Game Boy."
Nephew:  "What's a 'Game Boy'?"

... Ow...

• Like 1

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire

On 6/12/2018 at 2:41 PM, WildSonja said:

I had a 24yo man ask me if his plaid flannel shirt was "too grunge looking."  I said "Nah, you're not wearing Doc's.  You're fine."  I had to explain   what Doc's are.  I guess I really am 40+.    And I do have a favorite grocery store!

What? They still sell Docs in every color at Journeys.

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

I made a reference to the Belgian band "Leyers, Michiels and SoulSister" to a colleague.

The band was huge in Belgium in the early '90s before breaking up, with one of the frontmen going into television and the other doing solo work. Both are still very much relevant here, especially with the band uniting again 10 years ago for a couple of concerts.

Heck, The Way to Your Heart was an international hit!

My colleague, 23 years of age, had never heard of them.

Oldbag_Angry_1.gif

HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW SOULSISTER, YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPER!?!?!?

But that's not the worst part.

The worst part was another colleague, more or less my age, going "You're referencing that to the wrong generation".

The wrong generation!

That *really* made me feel old.

I'm 37. :o

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

3 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I made a reference to the Belgian band "Leyers, Michiels and SoulSister" to a colleague.

The band was huge in Belgium in the early '90s before breaking up, with one of the frontmen going into television and the other doing solo work. Both are still very much relevant here, especially with the band uniting again 10 years ago for a couple of concerts.

Heck, The Way to Your Heart was an international hit!

My colleague, 23 years of age, had never heard of them.

latest?cb=20120827100649

HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW SOULSISTER, YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPER!?!?!?

But that's not the worst part.

The worst part was another colleague, more or less my age, going "You're referencing that to the wrong generation".

The wrong generation!

That *really* made me feel old.

I'm 37. :o

I'm 37 as well. We are the tail end of Gen-X. Pretty much everyone younger than us is a Millennial.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Stretching for aikido yesterday, both hips popped loud enough to be heard four feet away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

3 hours ago, Guzzi said:

I told the kids that I wanted something they said “on tape” so I could remind them of it later.....

”What’s tape?”  :dejection:

Oh, that's just sad. But now everyone uploads to YouTube in a matter of minutes. When I was a kid my relatives had to lug around a camcorder and hope it had fresh batteries. Or if you wanted photos? You better send the film to Walgreens and wait 24 hours.

I've noticed news networks use the word "footage" or "camera footage" now instead. 

• Like 1
On 2/8/2019 at 11:41 AM, Rubik'sCat said:

I've noticed news networks use the word "footage" or "camera footage" now instead. 

Which is equally odd since "footage" originally referred to the literal length of film used. One foot of film gave you one second of screentime, due to the original frame rate of 35mm film.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

11 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

My bf’s oldest boy (11yo) didn’t know who Keanu Reeves was the other day, and he had never even heard of The Matrix! :o 

Ooof. We've got someone of similar age in our aikido class. I made a joke about her being Jackie Chan. In response I got a blank stare "Jackie who?"   :disillusionment:

• Sad 1

Just now, Nomad Jay said:

Ooof. We've got someone of similar age in our aikido class. I made a joke about her being Jackie Chan. In response I got a blank stare "Jackie who?"   :disillusionment:

Seriously...?  Aw man :hopelessness::cower::hopelessness:

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Just now, Guzzi said:

Seriously...?  Aw man :hopelessness::cower::hopelessness:

Yeah, that one hurt a bit. I told her to find the remake of the Karate Kid* and go from there.

*It's just as good as the original. I will fight you on this.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nomad Jay said:

Yeah, that one hurt a bit. I told her to find the remake of the Karate Kid* and go from there.

I actually think it might be better than the original...  And there’s not many remakes that you can say that about. 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

On 3/23/2019 at 10:09 AM, Nomad Jay said:

On 3/23/2019 at 10:47 AM, Guzzi said:

I actually think it might be better than the original...  And there’s not many remakes that you can say that about. 

Have to disagree for one simple point:  middle age Jackie Chan beating up a bunch of 10yo's will never be as impressive as old man Miyagi taking on a gang of High Schoolers. :playful:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I don’t think this so much made me feel old so much as pathetic, lol!  I went to an exercise class on Wednesday designed for seniors.  The average age wa in the late 60s through to late 70s, and every single one of them kicked my ass!  :D 

Also, I watched Bohemian Rhapsody the other night with my neighbor’s kids (I’m babysitting) and I told them that the very first album I ever bought was Queen’s The Game.  I asked them what the first album they ever bought was, and got blank stares....

Aparently kids don’t buy albums these days :hopelessness:

48 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

I don’t think this so much made me feel old so much as pathetic, lol!  I went to an exercise class on Wednesday designed for seniors.  The average age wa in the late 60s through to late 70s, and every single one of them kicked my ass!  :D 

Also, I watched Bohemian Rhapsody the other night with my neighbor’s kids (I’m babysitting) and I told them that the very first album I ever bought was Queen’s The Game.  I asked them what the first album they ever bought was, and got blank stares....

Aparently kids don’t buy albums these days :hopelessness:

I bet they don't even know about card catalogues or rotary-dial phones.

• Haha 1

Current Challenge