Get Off My Lawn: Things You’ve Done that Make You Feel Old

This doesn't strictly meet the criteria for this thread, but I'm gonna share it anyway. This week I'm observing a muay thai class (deciding if it might be something I want to take up). There's a couple of high schoolers out on the mat. About half-way through one of the parents sitting nearby turns to me and asks "So, which one of these kids is yours?"

• Haha 4

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I was in a meeting with my new boss in a conference room. One of the five fluorescent light fixtures flickered out while we were talking. I looked up, and in my best Picard voice I said:

There are **FOUR** lights!

He just stared at me. 

I laughed and said 'Sorry, from Star Trek:TNG.' He laughed and said yeah, it went off the air before he was born.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Look me up!  MapMyFitness       MyFitnessPal       Fitbit

When taking pictures on my cell phone, if it's a particular important picture, I'll take two or three, to make sure it actually "took". Throwback to the days of 35mm film, and you had no idea if the picture would come out until you got it developed.

Noticing records are coming back into circulation. Looking for the cassettes that were always near record and not finding any.

Right before I retired from the military, noticing that I had been in the military longer than the incoming kids were on this earth.

Not trusting any streaming service, because I grew up in the days of dial up internet.

I'm kind of in a weird limbo with my age at the minute (24) because obviously i'm still really young and get excited for things like new video game releases or chicken nuggets but then I also feel old when i'm like walking through a shop and see something such as a mop that looks cool and i'm like 'woah have you seen this! look how cool this is' to my partner..

On a Discord chat last night, I had to explain the origins of the phrase "Same Bat-time, Same Bat-channel" to  the youngest participant.  (A contemporary and I then concurred that when we watched the Beatles live on Ed Sullivan, we couldn't hear the music because of the girls screaming.)

• Haha 1

Astreja K. Odinsdóttir, socially-distanced Valkyrie
Race:  Humanoid (
Ásynja)
[ Level 9 | STR 14 | STA 18 | DEX 16 | CON 18 | WIS 19 | CHA 15 ]

18 hours ago, Astreja said:

On a Discord chat last night, I had to explain the origins of the phrase "Same Bat-time, Same Bat-channel" to  the youngest participant.  (A contemporary and I then concurred that when we watched the Beatles live on Ed Sullivan, we couldn't hear the music because of the girls screaming.)

I use that line almost every time I re-book a client.  I'm waiting for the day I get that look that says "huh?"

• Haha 1

daily dare   46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1