• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hypotheticalfox

Get Off My Lawn: Things You’ve Done that Make You Feel Old

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm 37 and I don't know about the Rabbit Test

That doesn't surprise me; at the time this took place, you would have been one of the 20-somethings getting it explained (assuming you would've been hanging around in the ladies' room).

20 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It’s a pregnancy test. They’d inject a rabbit with a woman’s urine. If the rabbit’s ovaries changed the amount (type?) of hormone she secreted it meant the woman was pregnant. I think it was in use through the 70’s. “The rabbit died” meant pregnant. Fun fact, all the rabbits died because they killed them to examine the ovaries.

Never knew this before. 

2 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I knew the phrase and meaning from TV, but I didn’t find out where it came from until I had an endocrinology class.

I'd heard I before too, but didn't know where it came from. I assumed it was because rabbits are so prolific, and so it was some sort of joke on that

6 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

That doesn't surprise me; at the time this took place, you would have been one of the 20-somethings getting it explained (assuming you would've been hanging around in the ladies' room).

I would have at least gotten the Aerosmith Reference.

• Haha 1

Talking with the teenagers pals at gym I once told them why didnt hear Iron Maiden songs when training and they said "Iron what?!"

Sitting in car on a road trip with my sister, her wife, and my nephew.

Nephew:  "Mom, can I play with the iPad some more?"

Sister-in-Law:  "No, not right now.  You've already played with it for 30 minutes."
Nephew:  *nearly in tears* "But mom!  I'm so bored!"
Me:  "Hey it's okay.  When I was your age I didn't have any electronics on car rides... Well, that's not true.  I did have a Game Boy."
Nephew:  "What's a 'Game Boy'?"

... Ow...

On 6/12/2018 at 2:41 PM, WildSonja said:

I had a 24yo man ask me if his plaid flannel shirt was "too grunge looking."  I said "Nah, you're not wearing Doc's.  You're fine."  I had to explain   what Doc's are.  I guess I really am 40+.    And I do have a favorite grocery store!

What? They still sell Docs in every color at Journeys.

I made a reference to the Belgian band "Leyers, Michiels and SoulSister" to a colleague.

The band was huge in Belgium in the early '90s before breaking up, with one of the frontmen going into television and the other doing solo work. Both are still very much relevant here, especially with the band uniting again 10 years ago for a couple of concerts.

Heck, The Way to Your Heart was an international hit!

My colleague, 23 years of age, had never heard of them.

latest?cb=20120827100649

HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW SOULSISTER, YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPER!?!?!?

But that's not the worst part.

The worst part was another colleague, more or less my age, going "You're referencing that to the wrong generation".

The wrong generation!

That *really* made me feel old.

I'm 37. :o

3 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I made a reference to the Belgian band "Leyers, Michiels and SoulSister" to a colleague.

The band was huge in Belgium in the early '90s before breaking up, with one of the frontmen going into television and the other doing solo work. Both are still very much relevant here, especially with the band uniting again 10 years ago for a couple of concerts.

Heck, The Way to Your Heart was an international hit!

My colleague, 23 years of age, had never heard of them.

latest?cb=20120827100649

HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW SOULSISTER, YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPER!?!?!?

But that's not the worst part.

The worst part was another colleague, more or less my age, going "You're referencing that to the wrong generation".

The wrong generation!

That *really* made me feel old.

I'm 37. :o

I'm 37 as well. We are the tail end of Gen-X. Pretty much everyone younger than us is a Millennial.