• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Severine

Severine: No, But Seriously This Time

That's awesome! You should definitely go for it. Just make sure to get your application in ASAP before all the other people who don't speak Spanish or Portuguese jump in. 

And you can totally bring this up in the interview. Say, "I noticed when this job listing was originally posted, it required English and Spanish, but it was updated to require only English. I'm not fluent in Spanish but I am working on it. Given the change in requirements, I'm wondering how much Spanish you anticipate I'll be using on the job?" 

It's a good way to show you're paying attention and very interested in the position in one go. 

• Like 5

Submitted job application!

IRL picture of me hitting send on that email:

giphy.gif

I'm about 85% recovered from my cold (using the highly scientific and precise PTROOMA scale) and am going to live dangerously and declare myself fit for cardiovascular exercise starting tomorrow. Will be good to be able to tackle that part of my challenge again. Haven't yet decided whether I should adjust the spreadsheet to eliminate that goal for my sick days or just leave it as failures. I don't like that my spreadsheet has all these ugly failure days for times when I could barely get out of bed...but adjusting it still feels sort of underhanded, like I'm cheating somehow. Also, changing it is work. Decisions, decisions.

Felt kind of lonely and restless tonight, and Logan was in class and D was too exhausted to do anything, so I took myself to the movies and saw Molly's Game. Really good movie, actually. I really enjoyed it. It was a nice reminder of how much I like doing stuff alone, too. There's something very grounding about it. 

I am (very slowly) working on my list of goals and plans for 2018. Will post it here as soon as it's ready.

• Like 13

Being sick is a legitimate reason not to do stuff. As far as working out, aren’t you not supposed to do it if it’s in your chest? You get a pass. Go for a walk for extra credit or something if you want, but it’s not cheating if you physically couldn’t do the thing. 

• Like 5

Maybe set up a "free pass" indicator to mark days when you didn't do anything but for legitimate reasons? That way there's still a record that you weren't just slacking off, but it won't count towards your goals either. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Maybe set up a "free pass" indicator to mark days when you didn't do anything but for legitimate reasons? That way there's still a record that you weren't just slacking off, but it won't count towards your goals either. 

Ooh, this. I usually use gray boxes for “n/a” whether it’s because the universe kept me from doing the thing or just “my goal was 3x per week so I didn’t fail these other days when I didn’t do it.” (If you kept the conditional formatting from my sheet, x does it.) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Ooh, this. I usually use gray boxes for “n/a” whether it’s because the universe kept me from doing the thing or just “my goal was 3x per week so I didn’t fail these other days when I didn’t do it.” (If you kept the conditional formatting from my sheet, x does it.) 

Yet another benefit of ripping off your spreadsheet...    :D:D:D 

Thanks!

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Severine said:

Yet another benefit of ripping off your spreadsheet...    :D:D:D 

Thanks!

If you’re having it count percentage completed, be sure to change the total so it reflects the days you aren’t counting. I forgot once and was confused by super low numbers. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, fleaball said:

If you’re having it count percentage completed, be sure to change the total so it reflects the days you aren’t counting. I forgot once and was confused by super low numbers. 

Yep, I did. Thanks for the reminder. Thankfully the string of office temp drudgery that paid my bills through undergrad left me with leet spreadsheet skillz.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Severine said:

Really good movie, actually.

We didn't get it at our theater. We also didn't get The Disaster Artist, which makes no sense to me. I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm always rooting for you (even if we don't talk as much as we used to).

cheers-to-low-maintenance-friends-the-on

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Marauder said:

So high tech.  I just color in a square. 

I do that too, hehe. It's a lot more satisfying than filling in the spreadsheet. But the spreadsheet is good for collecting stats longterm, and making graphs. /nerd

9 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

We didn't get it at our theater. We also didn't get The Disaster Artist, which makes no sense to me. I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm always rooting for you (even if we don't talk as much as we used to).

cheers-to-low-maintenance-friends-the-on

Hey you! Yeah I've been meaning to come find you and see how you're doing (though I assume you're balanced and productive and contemplative as usual). Thanks for dropping in. Hope life is treating you well.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Severine said:

though I assume you're balanced and productive and contemplative as usual

Thank you, and I guess that's...kind of true? I wouldn't say I'm balanced. I'd say I'm stable.

And come on by. You're always welcome.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Butternut said:

Hey! How'd it go?!?!

20 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Yaaaaaay!! how did it go?

Shockingly well! The phone interview was long: about an hour and twenty minutes, and by the end the woman said she wanted to hire me! I've never been hired straight away on a phone interview so that was pretty awesome. We really clicked and she seemed to really like my answers to her questions. Also she used to teach at the community centre where I teach now, and I think that really helped. She seemed to heavily weight my experience teaching there as a sign that I knew what I was doing and was comfortable working with the type of students I'd be teaching at the new job.

Anyway, so...I got the job? I haven't signed a contract yet obviously, and I don't like to count on anything before it's in writing, but basically as long as I don't screw up and nothing goes awry, I'm in. I'm meeting her for coffee on Monday, and then (paid) training will start in a couple of weeks.

The job is only part-time, but this place has full-time staff too, so my long-term goal might be to transition to full-time. In the meantime, the fact that I'll be working here part-time means I'll be able to continue teaching at the community centre right now, which is awesome and very important to me.

Huzzah! I'm pretty chuffed about it, I have to say.

• Like 13