• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Severine

Severine: No, But Seriously This Time

1 hour ago, Severine said:

Also because of my various injuries while farming, especially the nerve damage, there are some things I'm not even sure it's possible/safe for me to do.

All I can say about this is, if you end up in a class with a yoga instructor who insists you do every move, leave. Every time I've been to a yoga class the instructor says something like "if you can't do a move or it feels really wrong to you, stop!" but I've also heard horror stories from friends and yoga injuries are real. 

You don't seem like the type of person who would get caught up in the pressure to conform in a class with a bunch of people who are all able to do the moves, so tbh I'm not really worried about you. I'd say it sounds like a decent class with a knowledgeable instructor, so go and enjoy yourself! I hope it works out. :) 

• Like 5

Excellent news on finding a yoga studio to check out. There's another +1 for me. It's something I really need\want to get back to. And it is 100% dependent on the right teacher and sounds like you've done a good job of finding what you need! Massage is also important and I hope ;your new therapist is everything you need. I sometimes have to get on hubby to make appointments. Also, another reason to get to Chattanooga, there are several excellent acupuncturists there that I've found through friends. The first 4 consecutive headache free days hubby has had in decades was on our Alaska cruise where hubby had daily sessions - I've been trying to find one here and have had the TOUGHEST time. Just another reason to move......

• Like 4

On 1/19/2018 at 6:55 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

The other one right now is Fake week (Since its the BC off week)

That's a good one! In the early years of our relationship, I used to refer to my period as “blowjobs and massages week”, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

That's a good one! In the early years of our relationship, I used to refer to my period as “blowjobs and massages week”, LOL.

I was at a bachelorette party years ago and we played a game where we'd take turns asking a personal question to the group and everyone had to answer or take a shot. And one of the tame questions at the beginning was "if you could change one thing about your partner, what would it be?" and the first person said they wouldn't change anything and loved them just the way they are. Second person: same answer. Then my friend who was getting married said, in this extremely serious voice tinged with audible longing, "I would make him better at giving massages." 

"I would like to change my answer," said the person who'd gone before her. 

"Me too," said the first person.

Long story short, later that night when we were all pretty drunk, we almost ended up going to some dodgy all-night massage parlour on the way home...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Sad but true: I have slight DOMS in my lower abdomen from yoga breathing exercises yesterday.

DOMS from BREATHING.

More substantive debrief of the class to follow later.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Severine said:

Sad but true: I have slight DOMS in my lower abdomen from yoga breathing exercises yesterday.

DOMS from BREATHING.

That's some heavy breathing...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 22/1/2018 at 8:06 PM, Butternut said:

That's some heavy breathing...

12 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I'm so curious about the class!!

So the class! It was a special thing she does for brand new people, so not a normal class, more like a "here is a selection of the sorts of things we do here that I think might be a good fit for you." And one of the things we did was this special kind of breathing that involved some kind of explosive exhaling? She kept telling me to exhale all the way down to my pelvic floor which as far as I can tell means to like...contract your abdominal muscles tightly and rapidly to help force air up out of your lungs? It was surprisingly exhausting. And what she did was have you get into a particular position, and then do the special breathing 15-20 times, and then a new position, and so on, and there were many positions so we did it A LOT. Has anyone else ever done anything like this?? It was weird.

We also did more normal yoga things (I mean, as far as I know? I mean the sorts of things I've seen videos of people doing) like stretching, a basic pose or two, and stuff with the yoga ball. And those seemed mostly good and were less intensive.

So yeah, not sure how I feel about all the breathing stuff, but some of the more standard stretching stuff seemed useful?

She was surprised at some of the positions I could get into, to the point that she warned me that due to my genes or history of working as a farmer or some combo of the two, I probably have more joint mobility than is good for a beginner to have because I am at risk of over-straining certain tendons or something? So I have to be careful to only do what feels painless and easy and resist the urge to do the maximum I can. She got points for caring about that.

Personality wise, she was really, really nice. I felt totally unjudged and found her very genuinely compassionate. BUT she was also super peppy and used a lot of stereotypical new age lingo (which tends to rub me the wrong way, the reasons why are a long story) which I did not love. The studio space itself is really lovey.

Anyway, overall? All in all I am not absolutely sure what I thought of it. Am still figuring it out. But I am at least willing to keep exploring it so in theory I am going to the 'easy yoga' class Friday morning.

@LoganW on this post because you keep asking me how it went and I keep saying I'm still thinking about it  :D 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Severine said:

She kept telling me to exhale all the way down to my pelvic floor which as far as I can tell means to like...contract your abdominal muscles tightly and rapidly to help force air up out of your lungs?

Funny story: in order to figure out how to accurately describe the breathing, I did it a couple of times to remind myself how it felt and think of how to articulate it.

And my abs were like NOT THIS AGAIN WHAT ARE YOU DOING WE ARE STILL SORE. So yeah, DOMS from breathing. This is my life.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Severine said:

And one of the things we did was this special kind of breathing that involved some kind of explosive exhaling? [...] Has anyone else ever done anything like this??

I have never done it in yoga, but we were always instructed to "breathe from the diaphragm" in my chorus classes which feels sort of the same as what you're describing except without the explosive exhale. (Since we were, y'know, using that breath to sing.) A very, very deep breath "from the bottom of your lungs." 

I have done one other "yoga" breathing exercise wherein we assumed a comfortable seated position and used a finger to close one nostril and do one inhale and one exhale per side and the switch, back and forth, for about twenty breaths. Every time I do that exercise it makes me feel slightly like I'm ventilating my brain. I'm not sure what it is about it that makes it so awkwardly uncomfortable though?? 

She was surprised at some of the positions I could get into, to the point that she warned me that due to my genes or history of working as a farmer or some combo of the two, I probably have more joint mobility than is good for a beginner to have because I am at risk of over-straining certain tendons or something? So I have to be careful to only do what feels painless and easy and resist the urge to do the maximum I can. She got points for caring about that.

That's pretty cool that she paid attention to something like that. Sounds like a very knowledgable expert who cares about your well-being. 

Personality wise, she was really, really nice. I felt totally unjudged and found her very genuinely compassionate. BUT she was also super peppy and used a lot of stereotypical new age lingo (which tends to rub me the wrong way, the reasons why are a long story) which I did not love. The studio space itself is really lovey.

I've met a fair few yoga instructors and watched plenty of online yoga videos and so far I've only met two types of yoga teachers and two outliers to prove the rule. The two flavors are "super peppy" and "super chiiiiiiillllll" and there is definitely significant overlap. Of the outliers, one was just "I do this for fun and you don't pay me enough to adopt a yogi persona" and the other taught death metal yoga which is... yoga with super loud death metal and lots of participant screaming. Just because. So. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I totally understand being turned off by the stereotypical new age lingo, it bothers me too. Also it often feels like cultural appropriation which is not my jam. But if she's otherwise a good instructor who knows what she's doing and cares about you not getting hurt, I'd say don't judge her too harshly on the pep factor alone (because you're not likely to find many significantly different options). 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I have never done it in yoga, but we were always instructed to "breathe from the diaphragm" in my chorus classes which feels sort of the same as what you're describing except without the explosive exhale. (Since we were, y'know, using that breath to sing.) A very, very deep breath "from the bottom of your lungs." 

Yeah I used to sing so I know what you mean. This was definitely different (the focus was definitely on the exhale and explosiveness thereof) but the underlying theme of being super conscious of breathing and having it be very intense/deep is a similar thread.

I have done one other "yoga" breathing exercise wherein we assumed a comfortable seated position and used a finger to close one nostril and do one inhale and one exhale per side and the switch, back and forth, for about twenty breaths. Every time I do that exercise it makes me feel slightly like I'm ventilating my brain. I'm not sure what it is about it that makes it so awkwardly uncomfortable though?? 

Agreed, the nostril switching thing sounds odd. It just makes me think of how annoying it is when you're sick and you're stuffy and you can only breathe out one side  :D

I've met a fair few yoga instructors and watched plenty of online yoga videos and so far I've only met two types of yoga teachers and two outliers to prove the rule. The two flavors are "super peppy" and "super chiiiiiiillllll" and there is definitely significant overlap.

Yeah, she was almost peppy about being chill, you know? Like she was super enthusiastic and hyper positive...about relaxing, and being calm. Which sounds like a giant contradiction; a couple times while listening to her I felt sort of struck by the surreal melding of the two supposed opposites. Mostly it just ended up feeling really intense to me, like she was coming on a little strong even when the thing she was coming on strong about was chillness.

But if she's otherwise a good instructor who knows what she's doing and cares about you not getting hurt, I'd say don't judge her too harshly on the pep factor alone (because you're not likely to find many significantly different options). 

Agreed, I'm trying not to let it cloud things too much. I can overlook a lot of personality friction if someone means well and knows their stuff. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Severine said:

Agreed, the nostril switching thing sounds odd. It just makes me think of how annoying it is when you're sick and you're stuffy and you can only breathe out one side  :D

That's exactly what it makes me think of. And also if you're like just slightly stuffy (not even so much you'd notice, like you ate a bunch of hot soup two hours ago and it made your nose run but you're fine now), it makes you SUPER AWARE OF IT. Ugh. I only did that in one yoga course I took in college, and to this day I do not know if the instructor was just trolling the students or if it's a real thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, she was almost peppy about being chill, you know? Like she was super enthusiastic and hyper positive...about relaxing, and being calm. Which sounds like a giant contradiction; a couple times while listening to her I felt sort of struck by the surreal melding of the two supposed opposites. Mostly it just ended up feeling really intense to me, like she was coming on a little strong even when the thing she was coming on strong about was chillness.

That's a good way of putting it. Sometimes it kind of makes me nervous like I'm going to be called out for not relaxing enough, which of course makes me tenser lol. Idk what to say... eventually I just got used to it and now it doesn't really bother me? Although I met my sister's boyfriend recently and his personality is just like that all the time (he's a backpacker and rock climber, though, not a yoga instructor) and it's very weird for prolonged periods. 

Agreed, I'm trying not to let it cloud things too much. I can overlook a lot of personality friction if someone means well and knows their stuff. 

I hope it works out!

• Like 3

The breathing you described is definitely a thing! I see it in yoga classes sometimes. I don't get much out of it either. 

There are a handful of different breathing exercises that come up in yoga sometimes depending on the teacher - the one you described (I think it might be called breath of fire or something similar?), the nostril one, "ocean sounding breath," and lion's breath are the ones I can think of. It seems pretty random as to when they come up, but I guess your instructor is a fan so she wanted to include it?

• Like 5

On 1/24/2018 at 12:34 AM, Wobbegong said:

and the other taught death metal yoga which is... yoga with super loud death metal and lots of participant screaming. Just because. 

O_O I suddenly had a vision of my ancestors shaking their fists from heaven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oy! I just realized it's been a whole week since I posted. Ooops. I have been checking the forums most days, but haven't had a lot of time to post.Thankfully 90% of my busyness has been positive. I'm settling in to my new job, and meanwhile the new term started at the community centre where I volunteer teach, and things are going really well there.

Challenge is almost over so I feel like I should report in. It hasn't been perfect but overall I think this challenge has been a good one for me and has helped me start 2018 in a positive way.

My Spanish language learning challenge has been shockingly effective. For the first time in a very very long time, I am successfully managing to study a foreign language every single day no matter what. Many days it's only half an hour of reviewing vocab and listening to some podcasts or something, but the important thing is I've finally managed the consistency that used to elude me. I'm seeing a lot of progress and getting more comfortable talking to people in Spanish (the other day my friend, who studied it in uni, was over here and we baked cookies and talked in Spanish and it was nerve-wracking at first but once we both relaxed it was awesome) and I"m optimistic about continuing to make real progress. My goal is conversational fluency by the end of 2018.

As for goals: I'm doing really well on drinking water, wearing my Fitbit, and stretching in the morning. As I mentioned I have been checking the forums, though I would like to find more time for posting in the coming weeks. I've been doing better on bedtime than I thought I would, getting to bed by midnight almost 80% of the time. Oh and I've stayed under the caffeine limit more than 90% of the time, woo.

I've been doing better-ish with food, definitely an improvement over December. Less takeout, more home cooking, more veggies and nutritious meals, and I haven't been drinking soda. I'm eating chocolate (which I want eventually to phase out) but mostly reasonably. Exercise has more spotty. I've been doing it 2-3 times weekly, not every day. Partially due to weather, but mostly due to pain and laziness/excuses. Still, I've made progress this month and right now what I am trying to focus on is the improvement, not the shortfall from where I want to be. I've fallen prey to all-or-nothing mentality far too many times, so I want to make myself celebrate progress even when there's a lot more to do.

The food/mood journal ended up being a total nonstarter because my therapist never really followed up on it with me, and without her kicking my ass about it, my motivation to do it is basically nonexistent. On the other hand, I have definitely been more reflective about food/emotional stuff (thanks in part I think to the interesting discussions on @Bookish Badger and @Tanktimus the Encourager's threads about intuitive eating) and although I haven't always acted on that knowledge, it's still progress.

So yeah...imperfect, but a step in the right direction. Still trying to decide what the focus of my February challenge should be.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Severine said:

The food/mood journal ended up being a total nonstarter because my therapist never really followed up on it with me, and without her kicking my ass about it, my motivation to do it is basically nonexistent.

I’m thinking of adding a journaling component to my Feb. challenge, we could be accountability buddies maybe?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Plazmotic said:

I’m thinking of adding a journaling component to my Feb. challenge, we could be accountability buddies maybe?

That'd be great, actually! I know it would be helpful but it's also quite a slog sometimes emotionally (confronting things that are exhausting and complicated to tackle) so anything that helps me feel more motivated to do it would be welcome.

What kind of journalling are you thinking of doing?

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Severine said:

What kind of journalling are you thinking of doing?

There are two main things I want to track:

1. Mood rating – I have a feeling that recent life events have affected my baseline happiness on a long term basis… basically I want to make sure I’m not developing situational depression. :(

2. Dream log – I used to have massively vivid and lucid dreams that are slowly waning as I get older and sleep less, I want to recapture whatever scraps I can.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Severine said:

t, my motivation to do it is basically nonexistent.

The honesty with yourself only guides to truly what you really want.

for years I’ve told myself that I NEED to not eat as much, but now ive found a diet to where I can indulge in dinner. Why? BECAUSE I LOVE EATING! instead of forcing myself to do something I don’t truly have will power amibition to follow a low food diet..... hmm not sure if that makes sense... 

• Like 5