• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Butternut

Butternut coming soon in 2018

4 hours ago, Severine said:

nd those paper dollars are amazing. Someone gave me those as a kid and I found them boring because it was just supposed to be about trying on different outfits and I didn't care about that. If I had someone who helped me make an awesome story with it, I would have liked them

Awww thank you!

heres part of our story from tonight 

IMG_0892.thumb.JPG.9970e18832ae6f6a40d5528aa39b16e7.JPG

I made the bathing suit and she colored it.

• Like 4

Do you have just have those days you wake up and there's so much positive energy in you, you just know it's going to be a good day?!?

When I have these days I cherish every minute.

Side note, I told my 13 year old son about my Shiny Kitchen goal the other day.  And this morning I woke up to hearing dishes being clanked around.  He had put the dishes in the dish washer away and put the dirty dishes in there. What a great way to start my day.

you know for my love language I've never like admitting mine is gift giving, but like I tell my husband, those kind of things my son did is a gift to me. My daughter making me a "Get Well" card when I was sick, the pen my husband "stole" from his office to give me, it's tiny meaningful gifts.

Another side note: You know one of the other great reasons I love about clean eating..?  A good poop. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Butternut said:

Side note, I told my 13 year old son about my Shiny Kitchen goal the other day.  And this morning I woke up to hearing dishes being clanked around.  He had put the dishes in the dish washer away and put the dirty dishes in there. What a great way to start my day.

What a sweetheart  :)

• Like 4

Shiny kitchen +6

mama points +6

Muscle points +1

Braggong points +2 (I really did just want to go straight to bed) 

no stubborn points. Got jalepno kettle chips, had 2 big glasses of wine, ate a gyro (with no bread) but lots of French fries.

one thing I've noticed with over eating, it gets you away from indulging with the present moment. I'm so full right now I don't want to do anything other then watch tv. 

Earlier I had a big bowl of soup instead of a small and I wanted to nap... I was getting there then little 7 year old asked to go outside. I wanted to refuse but I couldn't. 

Point being, over eating takes energy,... ALOT. I could be using that energy towards other things. 

• Like 4

"Boy, I really don't want to [insert appropriate thing], but this one time, I will."

"I don't want to [X], so I will for just 5 minutes." (then, once you're started) "Might as well finish now."

"I'm building a habit of [X] and habits need consistency to develop, so I will even if I don't want to."

Hope any of that helps!

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Bookish Badger said:

"Boy, I really don't want to [insert appropriate thing], but this one time, I will."

"I don't want to [X], so I will for just 5 minutes." (then, once you're started) "Might as well finish now."

"I'm building a habit of [X] and habits need consistency to develop, so I will even if I don't want to."

Hope any of that helps!

This.

Pretty much "I can give it 5 minutes, then if I don't want to, I am done.*

Or " If I do the thing, it means I will be moving backwards, even just slightly. Is it worth it?"

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Butternut said:

My will power meter is getting low. 

Any ideas to boost it? 

Sometimes I imagine future me asking me to do it, like a favour. Like, "Hey Severine, I know you're tired, but I really don't want to lose my mobility or develop diabetes, so could you please do me a favour and go for a walk?"

I do stuff I don't feel like doing all the time, when it's something someone else needs. If I were tired or feeling unmotivated and my partner asked me to go to the grocery store or do some laundry or something, I wouldn't hesitate. So I try to sometimes ask myself for favours in that same way. We should be able to muster the same amount of love and consideration for ourselves as we can for our family members, right?

• Like 7

I'm working on creating instructions for myself for all the major things I want to accomplish this year that I know will take a lot of ongoing effort. Since I haven't finished this project, right now I'm just following the instructions in my C25K app as part of my first 2018 effort. Yesterday was the first day the run interval lengthened, and in the last run interval, I was out of steam. Without intending to, I slowed to a walk for a step. 

But it was only one step before I said to myself, "just follow orders," and without thinking about it I picked back up and finished the run. When I don't have to make the decision to stay motivated or stay on track, it's much easier. Willpower is taken out of the equation. All I have to do is obey. 

I recognize that this is kind of a weird mental space that might not work for everyone, but it helps me a lot and you did ask! :) 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

This me just get through the day without a glass of wine or totty.

My habits really wanted something but I just kept telling myself "just get through today... Be stubborn.. Get through today,"

and this morning I listened to Optimal Health Show and he read this.

I kept saying "today is not easy but I will persist until I succeed"

10 hours ago, Severine said:

I do stuff I don't feel like doing all the time, when it's something someone else needs. If I were tired or feeling unmotivated and my partner asked me to go to the grocery store or do some laundry or something, I wouldn't hesitate. So I try to sometimes ask myself for favours in that same way. We should be able to muster the same amount of love and consideration for ourselves as we can for our family members, right?

I really like this. One thing I've been trying to practice is Self Compassion. I am always looking the good in people, always giving a benefit of a doubt, always letting my children, managers, and husband learn from their mistakes while being a listening ear, but I don't do it with myself. I've been trying lately, but this will help put things in perspective.

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

just follow orders,"

This is a great idea. 

Long ago I wrote a game plan for when I get hungry, when I get lazy, etc. 

For instance, I really wanted a drink tonight, My habit is looking for something other then water, something refreshing, something bubbly. So I remember I had sparkling water. I drank 2...

But thank you @Wobbegong because I haven't made a game plan for my drinking.

The thing is I don't mind having a couple of drinks here and there but I know I had 2 big glasses on Sunday and I just want to go a little longer.

plus since I'm cutting out all sugar and most grains, I'm allowing a craft beer at our local brewery or wine. It helps me say "no" to donut cause I'd rather have a beer when we go out then a dessert or pasta. 

I made it today. If I have a glass tomorrow, that's fine. I'm just glad I made it today. 

Thank you all for your suggestions. I read them while I was cooking dinner and they motivated me.

• Like 7

Stubborn points +10 (I made it! Even though I really really wanted a drink)

shiny kitchen +8 (I was grumpy but I got it)

bragging points +1

mama points +1 (played with Frazy my dog)

i had a weird day.  I had to let go a kid that kept calling off.

He called off 4 days within a week and a half. He said it was food poisoning each time and said he went to the doctor but they wouldn't give him a doctors note....? 

Also I caught him in several white lies while him and I were working together. He treated one of my sweetest assistants like crap when he worked with her but he was great with everyone else, great with customers, was a huge support when we were busy, and he was funny.

Anyway when I wrote him up last week I told him he can't call off for 3 months. Told him That I enjoy him as a worker and I hope to see him grow with us. 

This weekend he called in. My assistant we're done with him( I don't work in that particular store as much as my assistants, so I go with them)

So I had to let him go I had to get to his shift today which started at 4.

So I had to work at 2:30, drive and pick up my kids 30 minutes away, get my kids going on there chores, wait for hubby, then drive back in. It took up my whole day. I had plans to walk the dogs, play with little squash (my daughter)  and maybe get in a card game with string bean (my son). But driving back and forth took up most of my day.

The kicker is the kid I fired came in knowing he was going to get fired, he was very respectful, told me he understood. The sad thing he had to call off because he's grandpa went into the hospital that day and passed away the next day. 

It bugs me because calling off for that is understandable but it's what he did before that is where I had no choice.  

Also Friday the girls said he said he did his chores but when she doubled checked it he didn't.

I just feel bad. I mean eventually I was going to let him go, I could tell he wasn't going to last, but I can't imagine losing a family member then getting fired in a 3 day span..

Also did he do a bad job on Friday because he was worried about his grandpa?

*sigh* Firing people is just never easy. Even though I had legitimate reasoning but finding out about his grandpa hit me. 

I'm just wishy washy about the whole situation.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Butternut said:

*sigh* Firing people is just never easy.

Hold on to this, it's the truest sign that you're a good person. 

Having been on the other end, as a grunt worker with coworkers who are total slackers and think they're magically immune to the accumulation of black marks, I think you did the right thing, for the sake of the team if nothing else. It doesn't make the firing itself suck any less, but I hope your conscience is at ease. 

• Like 4

*hugs*

It could be the kid didn't have any of that happening or he did. But you will never know. Maybe if when he called in and talked to someone he could tell them what was going on? But the lack of doctors note because the "doctor wouldn't do that' is weird. Most drs will since they understand some people require it.

Firing should never be easy, because then it means you don't care. You do care for all your employees, but you also have to be tough with them about not messing up. Its a crummy line, but its one that will hopefully teach him a lesson for his next job.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Hold on to this, it's the truest sign that you're a good person. 

Having been on the other end, as a grunt worker with coworkers who are total slackers and think they're magically immune to the accumulation of black marks, I think you did the right thing, for the sake of the team if nothing else. It doesn't make the firing itself suck any less, but I hope your conscience is at ease. 

Thanks. The team was getting tired of him, but it still just sucked. 

Thats one thing that fascinate with my job is building teams. It takes a lot of time and is hard. But when you get the right people and personalities it's clear water. 

12 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

*hugs*

It could be the kid didn't have any of that happening or he did. But you will never know. Maybe if when he called in and talked to someone he could tell them what was going on? But the lack of doctors note because the "doctor wouldn't do that' is weird. Most drs will since they understand some people require it.

Firing should never be easy, because then it means you don't care. You do care for all your employees, but you also have to be tough with them about not messing up. Its a crummy line, but its one that will hopefully teach him a lesson for his next job.

It is crummy. But I understand it is apart of the job.  Thank you for your kind words

• Like 4

I hate firing people. I've only had to do it about a dozen times and every time there was a good reason but it was still always so unpleasant. I think if you didn't dislike it, it'd be a bad sign because it'd mean you either took pleasure in someone's misfortune or were indifferent to it. So allow yourself to feel a little sad, while also remembering that you did the right thing.

2 hours ago, Butternut said:

Thats one thing that fascinate with my job is building teams. It takes a lot of time and is hard. But when you get the right people and personalities it's clear water. 

I've worked a couple places where everyone just clicked and it was magical. I still get nostalgic for working at those places and it has much more to do with the people than the actual work. Huge kudos to you if you're able to make that happen now and then. You're giving people good memories for their whole lives, and teaching them what a functional and healthy workplace culture looks like. Hopefully each one of them takes that forward into all their subsequent jobs.

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:39 PM, Severine said:

I hate firing people. I've only had to do it about a dozen times and every time there was a good reason but it was still always so unpleasant. I think if you didn't dislike it, it'd be a bad sign because it'd mean you either took pleasure in someone's misfortune or were indifferent to it. So allow yourself to feel a little sad, while also remembering that you did the right thing.

I've worked a couple places where everyone just clicked and it was magical. I still get nostalgic for working at those places and it has much more to do with the people than the actual work. Huge kudos to you if you're able to make that happen now and then. You're giving people good memories for their whole lives, and teaching them what a functional and healthy workplace culture looks like. Hopefully each one of them takes that forward into all their subsequent jobs.

Thanks for this.

I had a candidate the other day.  She is sweet, nice, a little young, looked up "barista" terms before out interview but for the store she applied for, her personality wouldn't click with the girls. 

If she would fit into one of my other store but not in the one she applied for.    It was hard for me to tell the manager not to hire her.  I just feel like it would be a waste of the girls time and the training hours. 

It's hard when you need employees.  So you may need to hire 3, you get 10 interviews and you only really think 1 will fit.

BUT I agree with you, with that "magical" culture & experience.  I've worked in many work places where there were employees that just stunk or not part of the team and the manager would just keep them on because they need the labor body. 

I'm glad the company I work for doesn't believe in that.  It's hard looking for people, but it's worth the time.

• Like 6

Yesterday's points

muscle points +8 (kids and I set up a "cross fit" course in our house)

mama points +10

Stubborn points +1

---------*------------*------------

today

stubborn points +5

bragging points +1

mama points +4

shiny kitchen +5

• Like 7